costa concordia TV special

NoWhiners

I watched the show and realized that I may have been one of those people who might have died. I have a real fear of jumping from heights. Also, all along I have felt "safe" since I blame this horrible incident on the Captain's stupidity. However, I need to get my head out of the sand and realize that ANYTHING could happen and, although quite unlikely that a ship would go down, you NEED TO BE PREPARED. At least mentally. Although I don't tend to panic easily, I don't always think through a situation. Always better to know how to react given a situation. My husband always warned our kids - be prepared for anything when driving. Good advice too when traveling.

He also promises to "push me" or hold my hand if we had to jump. :eek:

While we watched last night we thought it was interesting to learn that it was the wind that blew the ship back toward land, not an anchor maneuver or use of the thrusters as we had heard in the past, but a lucky fluke of mother nature. Otherwise she would have stayed in deep water and may have just rolled over (Posidon? OY!) or sank there, as the Sea Diamond sank just off Santorini in 2007. They got everyone off (except for the two who died in the initial onslaught of water, a father and his daughter, so sad!) thanks to the cruise director who organized the helicopter lift and evacuation after the captain left the ship! All very sobering but not about to change my plans. m--

While we watched last night we thought it was interesting to learn that it was the wind that blew the ship back toward land, not an anchor maneuver or use of the thrusters as we had heard in the past, but a lucky fluke of mother nature. Otherwise she would have stayed in deep water and may have just rolled over (Posidon? OY!) or sank there, as the Sea Diamond sank just off Santorini in 2007. They got everyone off (except for the two who died in the initial onslaught of water, a father and his daughter, so sad!) thanks to the cruise director who organized the helicopter lift and evacuation after the captain left the ship! All very sobering but not about to change my plans. m--

Maureen, just a correction: there are 17 confirmed dead and 15 still missing, presumed dead (after 5 weeks, I think presumed can be changed, but..., to include the little 5 year old and her dad:(

Such a senseless tragedy, so senseless:(

Joanie

Maureen, just a correction: there are 17 confirmed dead and 15 still missing, presumed dead (after 5 weeks, I think presumed can be changed, but..., to include the little 5 year old and her dad:(

Such a senseless tragedy, so senseless:(

Joanie

Agreed Joanie. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear - the 2 dead I mentioned were on the Sea Diamond who were trapped in there cabin; the mother got out by diving through the water into the hallway, while the son was up on deck watching the sail in to Santorini, the father and daughter drowned in the cabin.

Those deaths are remembered along with the 32 from Condordia as all very sad and sensless. Both ships were abandoned by their captains. Who could have imagined that!

And to think that the Concordia could have rolled into the sea within sight of land if the wind hadn't blown her back to the shelf is just too much to absorb.

But I drive to the airport and always think that's my greatest danger! Every day is a gift! Go enjoy your cruise friend, I know how close you came to not being able to!!! Hugs, m--

I just looked on our Direct TV. National Geographic HD is replaying the "Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories" on Feb 24th (3:00-4:00 PM) IN So. California. I missed the first showing of this special because I was on a cruise. I just watched the Discovery Channel special, so very tragic....

And to think that the Concordia could have rolled into the sea within sight of land if the wind hadn't blown her back to the shelf is just too much to absorb.

I'm not typically religious, however, things like this make me think that maybe it was an act of god that "Blew" the ship in the right direction. Someone was watching out for that ship, even if the captain, was not.

I watched the Discovery doc last night with my kids. I too thought it was interesting that it blew back to land -- at the time, the news reports said the captain steered it that way.

Also I thought the recap of mistakes at the end was interesting, and how the death toll could have been worse. The one thing I thought they didn't hammer enough (maybe it was too obvious?) was that the captain should have come clean with the coast guard immediately. I actually blame him more for that -- not immediately telling everyone to get to their muster stations, and confessing the full state of affairs to the coast guard right away -- than the initial collision. If only the coast guard could have been there sooner.

They made a big deal of the fact that they hadn't done a drill yet, but I haven't found those drills super-helpful on the cruises I've been one (though it has been 10 years; maybe they're better now). I thought it was more alarming that the crew wasn't better trained, more along the lines of flight attendants. Too expensive, I guess?

I agree that the Discovery Channel special was pretty well done. While I'd heard a lot of the information piece-meal, it was nice to put it all in context.

I have to say that the two things I found most chilling were the enormity of that 160-foot gash caused by careless navigation. Like Titanic, she was pretty much doomed once that happened. And the coast guard chastising the captain and telling him to get back on board his ship and direct the rescue operations.

I taped the Discovery Channel last night and DH and I just finished watching. If you've never been on a cruise ship, it must seem like watching a movie because it's so sureal. Having sailed a few cruises, I know I will never board a ship in the same way again. I have been witness to accidents with people falling with their life vests on, and I know they are dirty, but I do feel if they are worn to muster people will know how to put them on correctly. After my first three cruises, I was still having crew correct me with my arm placement. Something should be done to get those vests clean and keep them cleaned.

If people had been ordered to the life boat stations when this first happened, there would have been no panic and everyone would have been prepared before the ship listed to its side.

I know there has been lots of talk about compensation to the passengers for the ordeal they went through. Frankly, no amount of money could compensate me for those 5 hours of horror. The miracle is that more people didn't die.

I taped the Discovery Channel last night and DH and I just finished watching. If you've never been on a cruise ship, it must seem like watching a movie because it's so sureal. Having sailed a few cruises, I know I will never board a ship in the same way again. I have been witness to accidents with people falling with their life vests on, and I know they are dirty, but I do feel if they are worn to muster people will know how to put them on correctly. After my first three cruises, I was still having crew correct me with my arm placement. Something should be done to get those vests clean and keep them cleaned.

If people had been ordered to the life boat stations when this first happened, there would have been no panic and everyone would have been prepared before the ship listed to its side.

I know there has been lots of talk about compensation to the passengers for the ordeal they went through. Frankly, no amount of money could compensate me for those 5 hours of horror. The miracle is that more people didn't die.

This was a very compelling story. I think Discovery did it better than national Geographic but both were good. I am not being snarky at all, but I don't think it will matter how clean the life vest is if you actually need to use it!! If you have the presence of mind to get yours and do even a remotely good job of putting it on (which BTW, is why this should be part of muster drill--you respond the way you train, and if you have never done it you seriously compromise your odds of survival).

I am gratified to see others keep adding to my original post of these TV shows so we can all be informed of the additional showings.

ML

Pictures of the only two Americans still missing after the Costa Concordia cruise ship capsized have been discovered, more than one month after the disaster.

They were in Life Vests at their Lifeboat.........

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/963242/396/Photos-found-of-WBL-couple-lost-in-cruise-disaster

Joanie

Pictures of the only two Americans still missing after the Costa Concordia cruise ship capsized have been discovered, more than one month after the disaster.

They were in Life Vests at their Lifeboat.........

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/963242/396/Photos-found-of-WBL-couple-lost-in-cruise-disaster

Joanie

OMG--could you imagine being on the deck, with life vest on, waiting to board a boat and not getting out? So incredibly sad. I really hope that Costa, the captain and the crew are truly held accountable for this preventable tragedy.

ML

OMG--could you imagine being on the deck, with life vest on, waiting to board a boat and not getting out? So incredibly sad. I really hope that Costa, the captain and the crew are truly held accountable for this preventable tragedy.

ML

I know it's a longshot, but i keep hoping for those 2 to just show up somewhere. They saved for so long to take their dream vacation, and I feel so bad that they did not get that, and even worse. :(

I know it's a longshot, but i keep hoping for those 2 to just show up somewhere. They saved for so long to take their dream vacation, and I feel so bad that they did not get that, and even worse. :(

Me too. It would be great if they could be found somewhere, and in relatively good shape. But I think it's a longshot...

ML

yep, but only 4 recovered due to bad weather. They hope to get the other 4 tomorrow. Just read it at:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-02-22/italy-ship-bodies/53204510/1

Story just keeps getting sadder and sadder. The little girl was with her dad (who is also dead) and his girlfriend. they were celebrating the dad getting a new liver and pancreas transplant and a new lease on life. Life can be so cruel...

ML

I will have to look on and see if I can find it on the 24th. I was at sea when it was first shown. The secretary over at our parish school saw it last night and said it was quite scary.

If you have directv, you can search for this. There are 2 different shows--the one on National geographic and the one on Discovery Channel. I just looked--looks like it will be on again Friday 2/24 at 6 pm ET on National Geographic channel, but it seems as though not everyone gets this.

ML

Story just keeps getting sadder and sadder. The little girl was with her dad (who is also dead) and his girlfriend. they were celebrating the dad getting a new liver and pancreas transplant and a new lease on life. Life can be so cruel...

Somehow, this story seems even sadder than the rest. It has brought me to tears.

Archived