Length of Dry Dock - What will be done?

kelleherdl

Does the length of a dry dock tell one anything about what will be done on the ship? We are on the Westerdam for the first cruise after her April dry-dock in Freeport prior to the canal transit. I guess she will be getting the traditional below-waterline work and sprucing-up the interiors?. I think I read somewhere that she may have some slight damage from an iceberg encounter last year in Alaska. Anything else anybody knows about?

Just wondering what the normal periodic dry-dock entails and what we can expect.

Dennis

Dennis - All merchant ships are required to have a survey docking every 5 years.

As Westerdam was built in 2004 this April 2012 docking / repair period of about 10 days is not a major one but the one usually done between the 5 year requirement.

The actual time spent in drydock will only be a few days - to do the underwater cleaning of hull & inlet suctions before painting.

The list of other work - including any hull dents - will go on afloat & in the drydock & will include replacements & upgrades, plus other work that cannot be done - "on the run" - while carrying passengers.

Thanks much SeaDog

This will be our second cruise shortly after a dry-dock. We were on the Maasdam a few cruises after her dry-dock last year. It was so nice to have all the freshness around. Her docking was a bit more extensive though with the SofA work done.

Dennis

• 1 year later...

While on a previous cruise on a port day, I watched a group of inspectors and Lido staff crew working on a list of things in the Lido that needed repair/replacement during drydock.

I learned that this was done several months before drydock to ensure that the required replacement items were on hand before the ship arrived.

Some of the Lido items they were recording were new coffee machines, plumbing upgrades, carpet repairs, restroom issues, etc.

As Bruce said, WEDM joined HAL on 25 APR 04 with a christening by her godmother, Dutch actress Rene Soetendijk in Venice, Italy. She underwent a 10-day 'wet dock' a year later in Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale (17-27 APR 05) for her SOE #1 improvements.

Her first drydock was from 18 APR-09 MAY 07 at Fincantieri's Palermo, Sicily yard for her SOE #2 upgrades.

Her next drydock was her first at the Carnival-owned Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport, the Bahamas from 04-14 APR 10 for standard maintenance.

She was back in Freeport from 16-25 APR 12 for the installation of her Canaletto Restaurant, a new Lido Pool Deck and standard maintenance

Her Freeport drydock next year will run from 05-14 APR 14 for standard maintenance

As Bruce said, WEDM joined HAL on 25 APR 04 with a christening by her godmother, Dutch actress Rene Soetendijk in Venice, Italy. She underwent a 10-day 'wet dock' a year later in Port Everglades/Ft. Lauderdale (17-27 APR 05) for her SOE #1 improvements.

Her first drydock was from 18 APR-09 MAY 07 at Fincantieri's Palermo, Sicily yard for her SOE #2 upgrades.

Her next drydock was her first at the Carnival-owned Grand Bahama shipyard in Freeport, the Bahamas from 04-14 APR 10 for standard maintenance.

She was back in Freeport from 16-25 APR 12 for the installation of her Canaletto Restaurant, a new Lido Pool Deck and standard maintenance

Her Freeport drydock next year will run from 05-14 APR 14 for standard maintenance

I wish i could get info on what was done during the Noordam dry dock, it is making me nuts!

I can not find post dry dock pics anywhere.

I know that she got a Retreat and some cabins.... That is all i know.

I wish i could get info on what was done during the Noordam dry dock, it is making me nuts!

I can not find post dry dock pics anywhere.

I know that she got a Retreat and some cabins.... That is all i know.

Standard maintenance + 25 additional cabins (18 VA + 7 J)on Observation Deck behind the Crow’s Nest

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=no&deck=m&WT.ac=pnav_Onboard_NoordamDeck

In addition, she was supposed to get a Merabella high end jewelry shop on the starboard side of Promenade Deck/Deck 3 between the existing Photo Gallery and existing Shopping Arcade (what was one half of the Ocean Bar). The Ocean Bar bandstand/stage on port side was supposed to be lengthened to allow space for a bigger (HAL Cats) band. She was supposed to get a Retreat on Observation Deck. Not 100% sure if those two projects took place however, she does now have a Merabella manager assigned to her so what does that tell ya

Standard maintenance + 25 additional cabins (18 VA + 7 J)on Observation Deck behind the Crow’s Nest

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=no&deck=m&WT.ac=pnav_Onboard_NoordamDeck

In addition, she was supposed to get a Merabella high end jewelry shop on the starboard side of Promenade Deck/Deck 3 between the existing Photo Gallery and existing Shopping Arcade (what was one half of the Ocean Bar). The Ocean Bar bandstand/stage on port side was supposed to be lengthened to allow space for a bigger (HAL Cats) band. She was supposed to get a Retreat on Observation Deck. Not 100% sure if those two projects took place however, she does now have a Merabella manager assigned to her so what does that tell ya

Thanks so much! Love the new pic!

Im sure she got a Retreat, as a couple members here have a cabana booked.

I bet she is a lovely ship.

Actually the time between dry docks is 25-30 months. At least, that is the standard time for cruise ships.

Actually, all ships are required to be surveyed twice in 5 years. The "drydock" is required at least once in that 5 year period, but the midperiod survey can be done "Underwater In Lieu of Drydocking (UWILD) by divers if there is no known problems below the waterline.

Most cruisers confuse the terms "drydocking" with "shipyard period". While cruise ships tend to "drydock" more frequently than cargo ships (due to their desire to overmaintain in order to have no equipment downtime), some "shipyard periods" will not have a "drydocking". And drydocking is usually limited during a shipyard period due to the cost for the dock, and the demand for the limited number of docks. As soon as the ship has completed the work needed to be done to the underwater part of the hull and machinery, they will float out the ship to a "wet berth" to complete repairs and refurbishments.

Archived