Cupcake Decorating. $22. for 30 minute class. Really?

cruise pup

My wife loved it. Said it was a blast and even did a second one. The first she made hamburger and French fries,cthe second a bear.

I'm still not convinced. What I'm reading here is that for $44. you kept her out of the jewelry stores for an hour where $44. wouldn't make a dent in the sales slip. ;) No, I'm just kidding, I'm not a misogynist. Well, at least not to men.

I understand the draw, I guess... cupcake decorating on a cruise ship is fun, I suppose... but if one is serious, wouldn't a Wilton decorating class at Michael's be a better "investment" and less expensive overall? Just asking. :o

Well, that's my point. Same as why would a see an onboard acupuncturist and pay hundreds of bucks when you need many treatments for any serious problems and my health insurance covers it for $10. copay per visit.

I guess on a cruise, you tend to let loose a little bit, maybe paying what you know is more for something that you can a.) get at home and b.) might not mornally do in everyday life. It's a vacation. Some people (most people??) tend to splurge a little. A lot of passengers go to the spa on a ship when they've never set foot in one at home. Or they get their teeth whitened (ACK! please don't!!) onboard... that type of thing. :)

Some of my adult children did this class onboard the LOS..Something they would never do at home..They had lot's of fun & laughs..to us their fun was "priceless"..Also the fee you pay includes Cupcake Cupboard white chef type aprons to take home with you..Isn't that what vacations are supposed to be..fun memories..at least for us they are :D

Another factor is time....at home, our weekends are usually chocked full of errands, kids' sport practices/games and generally doing all the stuff that we can't do during the week.

Oh and my wife didn't get an apron.

I took our grandson to the children's class on Freedom, the cost was $15 and you did get a PAPER apron plus the cupcake. The class was ok and he liked his cupcake so I guess it was worth it. I found the parents pushing and jostling the kids so they could get a picture of their darling child annoying. One dad almost knocked Ben off his stool as he leaned over him.

Sherri:)

Pretty soon they are going to do a "Crew for the Day" class.

You pay $99 and get to go around sweep & wash the decks, vacuum, empty ashtays, polish the brass, glass, fold towels, paint the rust spots, ect.

And some of you people would line up to do it....

Okay convince me how this is worth the money. I dare you!

Have you cruised before? If so, you know what prices are like. Better question, would be it be worth it to you? I've seen people with $1000 bar bills quibble over a $3.50 cupcake. (or the cost of the soda package) Its really hard and unfair to compare land prices to that of having something available to you in the middle of the ocean.

Its really hard and unfair to compare land prices to that of having something available to you in the middle of the ocean.

Exactly. LOL

With that said, I wont be going to any cupcake decorating classes on a cruise ship.

The reason a 30 minute cupcake class is 22.00 is the same reason a margarita I can get at my local mexican restaurant for 4.50 is over 10 bucks on a cruise ship...........They make lots of money off this stuff folks

Edited by ryano

Have you cruised before? If so, you know what prices are like. Better question, would be it be worth it to you? I've seen people with $1000 bar bills quibble over a $3.50 cupcake. (or the cost of the soda package) Its really hard and unfair to compare land prices to that of having something available to you in the middle of the ocean.

"Would it be worth it you?" I think you hit the nail on the head. We do a lot of activities on a ship that we wouldn't do at home. We certainly don't go to a bars/restaurants every day at home, or to the spa or play bingo, etc. It's vacation, enjoy yourself.

I haven't been on a ship that offered this yet. How many cupcakes do you get to keep? I'm sure this is a factor in the fee.

Yes, it seems a lot to me to pay.....but would I do it....maybe. I am inspired by TV food cooking shows and it would be fun to learn some tricks.

Pretty soon they are going to do a "Crew for the Day" class.

You pay $99 and get to go around sweep & wash the decks, vacuum, empty ashtays, polish the brass, glass, fold towels, paint the rust spots, ect.

And some of you people would line up to do it....

:)I did this but the difference was that I got Paid by Her Majestys goverment,had some excellent runs ashore as a bonus !!!!:D

My opinion,,,I think the cupcake thing is a waste of space,,they should come up with something else,,,,we just walked by it every day:eek:..

I agree with you, but I think we are in the minority. They originally were only on Oasis and Allure. There must be a reason RCI is now adding them to many other ships.

My feeling is that every person who buys something onboard that I think is overpriced is helping Royal Caribbean make money, and helping keep the base price of my cruise relatively low. So I'm delighted if people want to buy cupcake classes, or spa treatments, or Bingo cards, or overpriced gift-shop knick-knacks - as long as the money doesn't come out of my pocket. Don't discourage them!

i lost 100.00 in about 10 mins playing craps --

You know the old saying - different strokes for different folks. My kids want to do the decorating class, i have ZERO problems paying for that or something that my kids enjoying doing..

Some people pay 150 bucks for a bottle of wine - i would never do that, but i would not critize it either :eek: