An open letter - Why we've decided to stop cruising

jtmalt

Have you also given up driving a car? How about flying in a plane? Riding a bus? Many more people get killed by these activities.

I agree with the comment above, but can totally understand your worries.

It is a very personal thing, i hope you have many happy holidays in the future whatever you your mode of transport :)

I have a feeling that no Captains on any cruise lines will be 'swinging by' off course to wave hello in the future.

I'm assuming the Concordia captain will serve time in prison, as he should.

It crossed my mind briefly whether cruising is safe or not, but statistically cruising is very, very safe.

Myself & my husband have discussed what we'd do in an emergency, a really serious emergency- & we certainly wouldn't go to the muster station as in my opinion it would be crazy bedlam, with the chance of people getting crushed in the panic.

Its hard enough getting out those places at the end of the safety drill!

No, we would put on our life jackets, assess the situation, then either stay in our cabin (we have balcony cabins so we can jump over if need be!!) or go to an outside deck & wait there until we found out what we considered the best plan of action to be.

Wrong i know, but in a real emergency i would probably not do as i was asked by a crew member, as unfortunately i do think that the reality in a really scary situation would be 'every man for himself'

While I will not let this incident prevent me from doing one of the most incredible vacations ever, Carnival Corp certainly does have some PR work to do. While the Concordia captain should be strung up by his genitalia for basically manslaughtering 35 people (thank God there weren't more), I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be some significant management changes that will also shake Costa to its core as well. There are bad apples in every company, and there will always be risk. Personally, I'm willing to take it to cruise and it's a craving that I can't stand the thought of not satisfying.

Happy Cruising to all!

In 1999 Egypt Air Flight 990 from JFK crashed over the Atlantic Ocean killing all 217 persons onboard. The NTSB determined the crash was a deliberate action by the First officer by shutting down the engines and pointing the aircraft down when the Captain left the cockpit to go to the bathroom.

As long as human's are making decisions there will always be some that are wrong or questionable, but it won't stop me from flying or cruising.

My main point is that you never know how people will react even when adequately trained. If the investigation shows there needs to be more intense training then it needs to be done. Training is only an indicator of how anyone reacts but it doesn't always show whether they will react properly or not.

Astroflyer - very well said, and I agree completely. There is simply no telling how any individual - passenger or crew - will react in an emergency until it happens. DH and I have often wondered ourselves, looking around the pool decks, boarding lines or Horizon Court, how many passengers would follow instructions in an emergency given that many don't follow instructions under normal circumstances. Evacuating a large ship is unlikely to go according to plan, perhaps even on a line that I trust like Princess.

OP - Thanks for sharing; I hope that in the next few years the cruise industry will take actions that ultimately regain your trust, and in the meantime, I hope your vacations are safe and enjoyable. It's not a bad thing at all to remind cruise line execs that we have a lot of choices available when it comes to leisure travel, and that choosing to cruise on one line or another (or at all) is largely based on perception. My personal perception is that cruising with Princess is still safe, fun and a good value, but you're not the only past customer with doubts. Any good company should be concerned about that.

Cheers,

Kirsten

I'm now convinced (as I'm guessing capt schithead was) that if one of these mega ships lists it is all but over. The little once a week, drop a life boat in the water drill bears no resemblence to a full evacuation with paniced crew and passengers. If there is an ounce of fortune in this incident it is that the ship rested on the bottom rather than rolling over and sinking. I don't think any amount of training/drilling will prevent mayhem with an every man for themself survival mentality.

But, having said that, I do not plan to change my cruising habits.

Dear jtmalt,

I thought your letter was beautifully written and told it exactly as it is. I am a New Yorker and as I watched in horror the National Geographic expose on the events surrounding the Concordia disaster, I could not help remembering the fall of the Twin Towers. Workers were given an "all clear" to return to work. Many who did never went home that evening. Concordia passengers were told to stay calm and it was only an electrical power failure. If they had acted appropriately, possibly all might have been saved. We have two cruises planned and as the date of final payment nears, we ask ourselves whether we should go. We have seen so many changes in cruising over the years we are questioning whether we should continue to cruise. It is true that the captain dismissed his responsibility but I sometimes question whether we are certain how any captain would react in an emergency.

While I will not let this incident prevent me from doing one of the most incredible vacations ever, Carnival Corp certainly does have some PR work to do. While the Concordia captain should be strung up by his genitalia for basically manslaughtering 35 people (thank God there weren't more), I have a sneaking suspicion that there will be some significant management changes that will also shake Costa to its core as well. There are bad apples in every company, and there will always be risk. Personally, I'm willing to take it to cruise and it's a craving that I can't stand the thought of not satisfying.

Happy Cruising to all!

There are those in many positions of authority who despite realizing what they're doing could be dangerous & not the safest thing to do will continue to do it because it's worked many times without a problem. Unfortunately such reckless behavior may work 99 times out of 100 but that last one can often be fatal. Even if such 'sailbys' were condoned in the past & were done safely, it was a bad decision & one that never should happen so recklessly again.

In flying, the old philosophy was that the captain was a deity & other pilots were hesitant to question anything they felt uncomfortable doing & remained silent. After crashes where that was a factor things changed & cockpit management was instituted to become a better team in the air. I suspect that a lack of cockpit management was a contributing cause on the Concordia's bridge & could happen on any other ship because of the archaic notion that the captain is infallible & should not be questioned is probably still the norm at sea. I believe this unnecessary tragedy will lead to better cockpit management on the bridge of all ships. While I don't have any inside info, I can see a lack on communication as a factor but could be wrong. If it wasn't a problem, then many officers on the bridge neglected their duties & not just the captain.

The captain makes the final decision but I suspect that anyone who wants to promote in their career is hesitant to question them depending upon the captain's attitude. I'm certainly not advocating a mutiny rather that it needs to be a team on the bridge with the freedom to express their feelings to the captain before making the final decision about the safety of the ship & for those souls onboard.

Before giving up on cruising altogether, you may wish to consider a river cruise where the potential emergency issues are a bit easier to deal with. Just a thought.

Well, disasters happen everywhere. If considering a river cruise, go with an established company...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23968843-dozens-of-children-die-in-river-cruise-disaster.do

Any and all travel is an elective activity, and we must all decide for ourselves where we spend those hard earned dollars.

You seem to have made that personal discission on your future travel plans, and I hope you find the security in future vacations you're hoping for.

Srpilo

Furthermore, in the past , most ships i sailed on had the very much appreciated and what i believe should be mandatory, in cabin monitor screen showing at all times, location, heading, speed, wind velocity, etc etc. plus on a separate screen a bow and stern cam. Ideally, the up to date currently used maritime chart would be displayed showing the ship's location with its crucial data.

Some passenger boaters/sailors would have been alerted by the depth of water versus the ship’s draft and its proximity to land.

I'm sorry, what would that accomplish? Are you going to physically right the ship if you *think* it's getting too close to land?

And to the OP, if I showed you footage of a deadly car crash or airplane accident, which shaken survivors interviewed, would that convince you to stop flying and driving? At least you admit your decision is completely irrational - the chances of you dying on a cruise ship are negligible compared to any other mode of transportation. You've proven how effective TV can be for sensationalizing events and creating fear when there are much greater risks out there than a cruise ship.

[color=indigo

Furthermore, in the past , most ships i sailed on had the very much appreciated and what i believe should be mandatory, in cabin monitor screen showing at all times, location, heading, speed, wind velocity, etc etc. plus on a separate screen a bow and stern cam. Ideally, the up to date currently used maritime chart would be displayed showing the ship's location with its crucial data.]

What do you plan to do w the data on the screen - run up to the bridge and warn the captain that the ship is in danger; grab your lifevest and run up to the lifeboat deck and wait for the ship to crash, or call room service and order a 5th of scotch to keep warm in the lifeboat?

In other words, that data on the screen would be completely useless.

DON

I think we need to consider that this un-necessary accident happend as part of a machismo culture embracing bravado

that is almost counter culture to what cruises most of us experience on the other side of the Pond where safety comes first

and we don't do fly-bys at 15 kts.!! -wouldn't even consider it at 15 kts.

The OP would seem to be among those who board a cruise ship thinking their safety is somehow 100% guaranteed by God and all his angels.

Personally I have never been that deluded, knowing full well that death lurks just around the corner for us all, even right here at home

Maybe thats why I always walk the promenade decks and look at the lifeboats overhead seeing their little details such as reflectors

on the underside of their hulls

OMG what are they for? They're for when lifeboats turn turtle, so search aircraft can spot them upside down but no-one even wants to consider that dreadful eventuality, after all lifeboats are the ultimate life-saver right? nothing can happen to them right? heh heh heh..

Seeing stuff like that makes you Get Real. It quickly dissolves the false sense of security you've been lulled into. Maybe you'll drink less on your next cruise but don't let marine realities or me stop you.

IMHO - you are totally overreacting. Every accident involves people doing stupid things. If we all followed your example, there is a guarantee that we will all die in bed instead of someplace interesting.
I agree entirely - see my post above.

Accidents don't "happen" they are CAUSED.

Totally respect your decision, OP. Everyone's individual situation is different, and all of us would have to be fools not to at least give some thought to whether cruising is still the right vacation for us. Certainly, there are people for whom being far from land in a crowd of 4,200 others is not the right choice.

I know we will absolutely continue to cruise, but we will also absolutely prepare for our trips a little differently in the future as a result of what continues to be learned from Concordia's crash.

My wife and I have been avid cruisers since 2005, but while planning our next cruise we started to realize that we were having second thoughts. Ultimately, we've decided to take a land-based vacation instead. This is a copy of a letter I've sent to both Micky Arison, CEO of Carnival Corporation, and Alan Buckelew CEO of Princess. I thought you might want to see it, and add your comments, pro or con, to this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Arison and Mr. Buckelew,

After 6 cruises, 3 of them on Princess, we've made the decision to stop cruising altogether, and we think you need to know why.

The fiasco surrounding the Costa Concordia disaster has shaken us to the core. We've always felt comfortable sailing, because we've always felt safe. Up until now, we were always confident that in a real emergency, the well trained staff and crew would know what to do, and would execute their duties to ensure passenger safety.

Watching the National Geographic expose on the events surrounding the Concordia, which included cell phone footage and passenger accounts of the harrowing circumstances on board, I could not help but to envision myself in similar circumstances, and it is simply chilling. We were shocked beyond belief that the situation on board had been allowed to escalate to such chaos. Accounts of passengers running from lifeboat to lifeboat, trying to find room, and ultimately having to jump and swim to shore defied belief.

I am well aware that the true facts are still being investigated, but, at this time, the public perception is that there was a complete breakdown of the command structure and safety procedures. Footage showing people being directed back to their cabins while the ship was clearly taking on water was very disturbing.

I am not writing to ask for anything from you. I simply want you to be aware of the impressions of one pair of formerly enthusiastic cruisers. I would imagine that we are representative of many others, who might not take the time to write.

Our perceptions are that:

• The crew performed admirably under the circumstances.
  • The passengers were not properly informed of emergency procedures.
  • The Captain and senior staff unnecessarily delayed alerting passengers and evacuating the ship, causing unnecessary risk.
  • The delay in evacuation caused issues with the launching of the lifeboats.
  • There was a breakdown of communications on all fronts.

Again, these are perceptions, not facts, but as is often said, perception IS reality.

The current cruise industry response of re-evaluating the mechanics of the safety briefing and muster drill is only one small part in restoring confidence. Speaking only for myself, I need to see steps that will demonstrate that the Captain and senior staff are deserving of the trust that we put into them.

It is somewhat ironic that the Concordia incident, demonstrating such a poor response by a commanding officer in the face of an emergency, came at the same time as the anniversary of the successful water landing of US Airways Flight 1549 by Captain Sully Sullenberger. There could not be a greater contrast between two disastrous events.

We've come a long way since the sinking of the Titanic, and yet it seems that the fundamental issues of safety of life at sea still remain. I don't know how you will accomplish it, but you need to either somehow restore public faith in the commanding officers of your ships, or rely on the public to gradually forget the horrific events that occurred on January 13th.

Most Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Completely disagree with you but nothing that anyone on a message board can say will change your mind. Cruising is a very safe vacation and the incident is just one of those things. Please make sure that you give up driving, flying, train riding, and any other form of transportation because they are much more dangerous than being on a cruise ship (even the most shabbily run one).

It is somewhat ironic that the Concordia incident, demonstrating such a poor response by a commanding officer in the face of an emergency, came at the same time as the anniversary of the successful water landing of US Airways Flight 1549 by Captain Sully Sullenberger.

There could not be a greater contrast between two disastrous events.

I agree with your appropriate sentiment, which also reflects the considerable contrasts between the two cultures alluded to earlier

One disastrous event happened to a US carrier on US territory - the other happened to a non-US carrier half a globe away almost.

Completely disagree with you but nothing that anyone on a message board can say will change your mind. Cruising is a very safe vacation and the incident is just one of those things. Please make sure that you give up driving, flying, train riding, and any other form of transportation because they are much more dangerous than being on a cruise ship (even the most shabbily run one).

DITTO!!

We have been through two terrorist attack bombings in Kenya and in Egypt - we returned to both countries many times.

After 911, we booked a cruise from New York and a visit there, in support of our biggest ally

We have lived through decades of Northern Ireland, and have family there, some of whom we have sadly lost, it doesnt stop us returning time after time

We are scared stiff of flying, and yet, fly many many times throughout the year albeit with the help of our friend Mr. Diazapam..

EVERY day, I drive a twisty country road with passing places, forest trucks going by, for sure thats my biggest danger!!!

We are commercial fishermen (amongst the other work we do) and sit in a 14ft row boat waiting on 25ft tides from the atlantic bringing us back up to our anchorage... a lot riskier than cruising for sure! To feel the fear of the sea, one should listen to the silence, followed by the roar of the tide arriiving on what we call the "moonlight" shift..THATS scarey!!

LIFE is for living.. and if we all give up, and do not do what gives us pleasure..then its just not worth it is it...

To OP.. I do hope you change your mind and go forth and enjoy many cruises to come.

If you want a more peaceful, contented life the first thing I would consider is stop watching National Geographic exposes.

I had to laugh when I read this!! Then I spotted an article on how a drunk pilot was just kept off a flight. Not because anyone in the airline thought he shouldn't fly but because a shuttle driver thought he might be toasted. http://articles.cnn.com/2012-02-16/travel/travel_suspected-drunk-pilot_1_drunk-pilot-male-pilot-faa?_s=PM:TRAVEL

The only reason why I might consider not cruising is the environmental damage these ships do. The toxins to the air and to the sea to propel these floating hotels around in circles is not without serious effect. That effect on top of our cars and our methods of polluting is something that matters to me. My polluting global footprint is already big enough without all the world travel that I do jetting around and enjoying the luxury of these cruises. I drink San Pellegrino regularly even though I have very good water from the tap. It is bottled and shipped all the way to my Costco. It is insane when I think about it.

When I started cruising back in the early 90's, it was a much more exclusive club. I didn't feel as guilty about the environment because there were far fewer ships. If fewer people cruise because they are scared or for whatever reason, I've recently come to the conclusion that it is probably a good thing for the planet.

jtmalt,

Thanks for posting your open letter and sharing with us your beautifully written sentiments. I can totally relate to your feelings and respect your decision not to cruise again. Sending this letter to those in the position to make changes will hopefully help to establish new safety measures which will benefit all of us who cruise.

While the Concordia incident will not stop me from taking future cruises, it makes me feel better knowing that there are people like you pointing out the flaws to the decision makers and ultimately making the high seas a safer place.

jtmalt,

Thanks for posting your open letter and sharing with us your beautifully written sentiments. I can totally relate to your feelings and respect your decision not to cruise again. Sending this letter to those in the position to make changes will hopefully help to establish new safety measures which will benefit all of us who cruise.

While the Concordia incident will not stop me from taking future cruises, it makes me feel better knowing that there are people like you pointing out the flaws to the decision makers and ultimately making the high seas a safer place.

Well said. The OP made some excellent points. I have friends who were on the fence about cruising and now, after all the media coverage, they are never going to cruise. We can never all have the same trigger points for fear. As much as the media coverage might be sensationalized or inaccurate in parts, it still raises serious questions about the cruise industry. About time. These companies have frequently enjoyed the benefit of what happens at sea generally stays at sea, whether it be crime or other fatal or near fatal accidents. Now, the spotlight is on all of them.

Actually, even before this disaster, I had decided that cruising is not really my holiday style and that we would only do another cruise if it is clearly the best way to see the region.

I am a retired teacher and I had the feeling, on the Holland America cruises we went on, that it was a little like being at school again. A bit too communal, a bit too tied to timetable, a lot of work to organise ( our last cruise went to five countries and that was a lot of research) and too much dependent on the behaviour or misbehaviour of the other passengers.

The whole Costa drama reinforces my feeling, it looked like a disorderly school evacuation where leadership was lacking.

I am very fatalistic about travelling; when my time is up my time is up; but holiday spending is discretionary and we all make choices every time we travel.

Archived