Fictitious Cruisers?

Sbilko

Back in 2009, prior to our Fall Panama Canal Cruise, on the Westerdam,:) I joined Cruise Critic. At that time there was a CC member who kept posting her cruise experiences, forgot her CC name. She was very critical of a few members, myself included:eek:. Her posting all of a sudden ceased, due to the fact that she had only traveled with HAL in her mind, she had never been on any cruise ship, from any line. I traced this information out through the internet. Great detective work by Host Walt I believe.:)

When I read some of the posts now, I always ask myself, could this person just be posting to stir the pot? Forms like CC, are great, for those of us, who actually do cruise, or who are planning or checking out cruising. But we must be always aware that these forms use “Log in Names” and not real identities.

Has anyone else wondered about the reliability and credibility of some of the members who post on this site?:eek:

I know our CC Hosts do the best job possible to ensure the reliability of the CC members, but some of the comments I have read make me wonder.

I think there are all kinds of posters on these forums. There are those who have not yet cruised, those who have cruised some and those who have cruised extensively. I believe there are also those from other cruiselines who come on specific forums to post negative things. There may also be such fictional cruisers as you mention.

Generally, though, my opinion is that this is a great forum for everyone because there is a wealth of knowledge shared. I can't tell you how many times we're discussing something about an upcoming sailing and we have a question and say "go and post it on Cruise Critic"...and generally an hour or so later we have an answer.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you consider it) this is the age of the Internet and with it comes the anonymity of a screen name. Unless we personally meet people we will never know who sits behind the screen name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! There have been a few previously banned members that come back with new names. They NEVER post anything helpful. The only thing they do is stir the pot and call others bullies when we point that out. I think they have way too much time on their hands and are totally bitter. It would be nice if they found other hobbies.

The vast majority of CC posters seem to genuinely enjoy helping other cruisers. It's a great site!

Very sorry to hear that somebody was rude to you here, OP. Glad you loved your Panama Canal cruise in 2009. I did one then, too. Small world?? Lol, not really all that small ... thank goodness.

One thing to remember about rude people. Their comments often reflect more on themselves than on their targets.

--May

ps. well said, all after Douglas, too!

I don't understand why there is any need for "screen names". As long as you speak the truth, what are you afraid of? What harm can befall you from showing who you are and where you are from? People coming to burglarize you while you're cruising? I don't think that has happenned. Not to me, anyway.....

If people could not post anonymously, I believe there would be a lot more civility on the internet in general....

Someone who falsely claims to have sailed with a certain line -- or on a particular ship is sooner or later going to slip up on the details of their story. But can you imagine how sad a life that individual must lead -- if all they can do is hang out on these boards all day, making up fictitious cruise stories? :(

Quite frankly I would not post if I had to use my real name. Since the topic of this forum is travel I am not comfortable posting exactly when and where I will be away from my home in such a public space.

I am not anonymous to those who have met me on board ships -- I do not hold back there -- I only hold back in such a public space. That is exactly why I do not participate in HAL's facebook site.

Back in 2009, prior to our Fall Panama Canal Cruise, on the Westerdam,:) I joined Cruise Critic. At that time there was a CC member who kept posting her cruise experiences, forgot her CC name. She was very critical of a few members, myself included:eek:. Her posting all of a sudden ceased, due to the fact that she had only traveled with HAL in her mind, she had never been on any cruise ship, from any line. I traced this information out through the internet. Great detective work by Host Walt I believe.:)

When I read some of the posts now, I always ask myself, could this person just be posting to stir the pot? Forms like CC, are great, for those of us, who actually do cruise, or who are planning or checking out cruising. But we must be always aware that these forms use “Log in Names” and not real identities.

Has anyone else wondered about the reliability and credibility of some of the members who post on this site?:eek:

I know our CC Hosts do the best job possible to ensure the reliability of the CC members, but some of the comments I have read make me wonder.

There will be trolls on many sites no matter where you go. However, the bulk of our members are people who love cruising. Many have extensive experience and extensive knowledge. I value and appreciate their advice and wisdom and try to ignore those who appear to be trying to 'stir the pot':D

I don't understand why there is any need for "screen names". As long as you speak the truth, what are you afraid of? What harm can befall you from showing who you are and where you are from? People coming to burglarize you while you're cruising? I don't think that has happened. Not to me, anyway.....

If people could not post anonymously, I believe there would be a lot more civility on the internet in general....

While I agree with your sentiments about speaking the truth I would be concerned about posting on the internet, for all to see, when my home would be available for burglars. Unfortunately criminals can be very tech savvy and it would take very little effort to find your home if you supply your real name and hometown.

As to fake posters or any poster that is not to my liking, I just ignore them.

There will be trolls on many sites no matter where you go. However, the bulk of our members are people who love cruising. Many have extensive experience and extensive knowledge. I value and appreciate their advice and wisdom and try to ignore those who appear to be trying to 'stir the pot':D

Agree completely. Besides, it seems to me you can tell who these people are. As noted above, they slip up or they are so negative or annoying they are not believable. In addition, there is another level of posters, not necessarily trolls, but their comments are often negative or unhelpful. When I see their screen names, I don't even read their posts.

And I agree with arzz about not using my real name. it isn't because I say anything different but I don't want cyber-stalkers to know anything about me. It is just basic internet security to not use your real name (and I don't use facebook much either!! And my profile only provides minimal info and is limited to just my few friends).

ML

. . . I would be concerned about posting on the internet, for all to see, when my home would be available for burglars. Unfortunately criminals can be very tech savvy and it would take very little effort to find your home if you supply your real name and hometown.

Sadly, there are websites that collect and share information about when people are not home. Here's just one example: Please Rob Me

Woody

This reminds me of a story (true) of two little ole ladies who met up in a memory care unit for dementia. They were in the same room and by the end of the first day they were talking about all the cruises and trips around the world they had taken together. They truly enjoyed thier trips down memory lane - and kept everyone at the memory care unit and elsewhere entertained. Now back to the trolls, yes they're everywhere!

Dear all,

I fully agree with you, some posters – not only on this board - have a indeed special manner to look around / to complaint.

Just a example :

Several years ago, and starting at the very first Dinner in the Rotterdam Dining room, a couple starts to makes noise for all and everything what was wrong with the food.

They integrally shouted loud and where finally served by the MD in person – but they did not stop to be rude.

Supplementary to complain about the food quality and what-ever about it, they always added that they have done more then 25 cruises on HAL, and for all of them, Dining experience was been always so much bad.

Well we are been frankly annoyed by this behavior, and finally I pointed out to them "well, you must be either idiot or masochist, because while knowing that its HAL food is so much bad, why you never aligned adequately your main holiday parameters - - so why your are again on a HAL vessel…..?"

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Inaugural Cruise - July 2010

MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean Empires - July 2010

MS Ryndam – North Cape Splendors - June 2011

193 days - 42'587 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruises : :p

7 days MS Volendam – Glacier Bay Inside Passage, July 18, 2012

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=Gerd&date=7-18-2012&text=Glacier%20Bay%20Inside%20Passage&ship=Volendam

14 days MS Amsterdam – Alaskan Adventure, July 27, 2012

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=Gerd&date=7-27-2012&text=Alaskan%20Adventurer&ship=Amsterdam

Isn't SBilko a great one? Thank you, OP, for reminding some of us about a great (even though very old) t.v. show. I actually don't watch much t.v. any more, but some old shows are wonderful to remember.

May B; The SBilko Nickname was hung on me at the age of 16, in the early sixties, when I joined the RCNR. It has been with me ever since.

I know there are some people who I have really gone to bat with, who have repeatedly been a thorn in my side- for YEARS. Then they disappear. Then lo and behold, a new user shows up with the same arguments over what electrical current some ship has- posting the same types of links- etc etc and I realize, hey- same guy. That happened once when I went to another cruising forum and here was so-and-so, flaming people over the same issues. So he had a "signature" of sorts and it was easy to see that he was back. A few years ago several people were banned and I think it was mentioned that they were back under different names.

I did the math last night. In July I will have been on here for 7 years. I will have 3,000 posts. That's 35 a month. That's daily use for 7 years. THAT BOGGLES MY MIND. I have changed email addresses, added 500 people on Facebook, etc etc- but I am still here talking about how to fold a suit and whether there is still soft serve by the lido pool, day after day.

I DID change my name a month ago. I had a very recognizable, traceable CC name and it was coming back to haunt me. I do NOT want people to know how many cruises I have booked. I try to keep my cruises under radar. I am an independent contractor- technically, I make my own schedule- but does it look right that I have taken three cruises in 7 months?:o. Also, I obviously don't need people breaking into my house (and getting bitten by my dogs, Warning;).

Unfortunately I now feel like a total stranger to everyone and people are not talking to me the way they used to. If I had just deleted my account and was starting at zero posts I would have felt like crying. Thank you to CC for letting me switch names.

And BTW, to the OP: many of us know each other from previous cruises.

My ability to ramble is still excellent!:rolleyes:

Dear all,

I fully agree with you, some posters – not only on this board - have a indeed special manner to look around / to complaint.

Just a example :

Several years ago, and starting at the very first Dinner in the Rotterdam Dining room, a couple starts to makes noise for all and everything what was wrong with the food.

They integrally shouted loud and where finally served by the MD in person – but they did not stop to be rude.

Supplementary to complain about the food quality and what-ever about it, they always added that they have done more then 25 cruises on HAL, and for all of them, Dining experience was been always so much bad.

Well we are been frankly annoyed by this behavior, and finally I pointed out to them "well, you must be either idiot or masochist, because while knowing that its HAL food is so much bad, why you never aligned adequately your main holiday parameters - - so why your are again on a HAL vessel…..?"

Happy cruising

G E R D

Excellent point. I try not to comment publicly when people behave this way, but sometimes, it just can't be helped.

I know there are some people who I have really gone to bat with, who have repeatedly been a thorn in my side- for YEARS. Then they disappear. Then lo and behold, a new user shows up with the same arguments over what electrical current some ship has- posting the same types of links- etc etc and I realize, hey- same guy. That happened once when I went to another cruising forum and here was so-and-so, flaming people over the same issues. So he had a "signature" of sorts and it was easy to see that he was back. A few years ago several people were banned and I think it was mentioned that they were back under different names.

I did the math last night. In July I will have been on here for 7 years. I will have 3,000 posts. That's 35 a month. That's daily use for 7 years. THAT BOGGLES MY MIND. I have changed email addresses, added 500 people on Facebook, etc etc- but I am still here talking about how to fold a suit and whether there is still soft serve by the lido pool, day after day.

I DID change my name a month ago. I had a very recognizable, traceable CC name and it was coming back to haunt me. I do NOT want people to know how many cruises I have booked. I try to keep my cruises under radar. I am an independent contractor- technically, I make my own schedule- but does it look right that I have taken three cruises in 7 months?:o. Also, I obviously don't need people breaking into my house (and getting bitten by my dogs, Warning;).

Unfortunately I now feel like a total stranger to everyone and people are not talking to me the way they used to. If I had just deleted my account and was starting at zero posts I would have felt like crying. Thank you to CC for letting me switch names.

And BTW, to the OP: many of us know each other from previous cruises.

My ability to ramble is still excellent!:rolleyes:

LOL--a rose by any other name...

Don't underestimate the value of rambling! Go feed the dogs:)

I don't understand why there is any need for "screen names". As long as you speak the truth, what are you afraid of? What harm can befall you from showing who you are and where you are from? People coming to burglarize you while you're cruising? I don't think that has happenned. Not to me, anyway.....

The harm that befalls you is potentially being stalked, hacked and have all sorts of personal stuff about you posted on the internet because one crack pot took a little offense to something you said, or disagreed with a review or something. It only takes one nut to ruin your experience on the internet.

I detest this movement toward using only real names on message boards and comment sections in news websites. If everyone were honest, and good hearted honesty would be the best policy.

But that only describes probably 80% of humanity. The rest of our species is mentally ill, resentful, angry, or outraged about something and just looking for someone to blame it on.

I've been reading this thread and keep reading banned.

Why would anybody be banned?:confused:

I think you are asking a serious question? If so, people have been banned because the are acting like, if not really, TAs, some for being offensive for varying reasons. many just set up accounts under new names (and some get banned again!).

ML

The harm that befalls you is potentially being stalked, hacked and have all sorts of personal stuff about you posted on the internet because one crack pot took a little offense to something you said, or disagreed with a review or something. It only takes one nut to ruin your experience on the internet.

I detest this movement toward using only real names on message boards and comment sections in news websites. If everyone were honest, and good hearted honesty would be the best policy.

But that only describes probably 80% of humanity. The rest of our species is mentally ill, resentful, angry, or outraged about something and just looking for someone to blame it on.

I see from the number of posts that you are new to Cruise Critic. Welcome aboard (so to speak)! This is a great place to share all kinds of info, opinions,and insights, mostly positive. hope you have fun along with us.

ML

Archived