clarify suite perks

NoobCruise

When you arrive, ask any of the shore operations folks to direct you to Suite Check In line. They will ask you cabin number to verify you are in an 'eligible' cabin and direct you where to go. They sometimes even accompany you to the line to be sure you have no problem.

After 20 years away, we will be sailing with HAL again this May. We discovered the "suite life" with Princess last year and, as they say, there's no going back. :) So we have booked a Deluxe Verandah Suite on the Amsterdam for the 4-night repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. As with the OP, I was unclear as to what the suite perks exactly encompassed and so am very happy to have found this thread. Thank you to all the responders!!

Two more questions:

What is the "Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only" ? Is that the continental breakfast in the Neptune Lounge? Re the Neptune breakfast, are there any warm dishes, e.g. scrambled eggs or pancakes, or is it totally "continental"?

And, what does "Priority dining and seating requests" mean?

After 20 years away, we will be sailing with HAL again this May. We discovered the "suite life" with Princess last year and, as they say, there's no going back. :) So we have booked a Deluxe Verandah Suite on the Amsterdam for the 4-night repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. As with the OP, I was unclear as to what the suite perks exactly encompassed and so am very happy to have found this thread. Thank you to all the responders!!

Two more questions:

What is the "Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only" ? Is that the continental breakfast in the Neptune Lounge? Re the Neptune breakfast, are there any warm dishes, e.g. scrambled eggs or pancakes, or is it totally "continental"?

And, what does "Priority dining and seating requests" mean?

The Exclusive breakfast is served in a separate dining room (normally the Pinnacle Grill but may be another area on the smaller ships). Its the same menu as served in the Main Dining room, but the athmosphere is alot nicer and service better (plus it quieter). Neptune breakfast - no warm items. You do know that room service on HAL has some great warm items (omlettes, etc).

Priority dining requests - I think this refers to getting you your perferred dining times. FOr example, we were booked in an SY cabin and could not get Early Dining. We did and upsell to an SC and then we were able to get early dining immediately. Also, Deluxe SUite passengers seem to be assigned the better tables in the main dining area (by the windows).

One problem with HAL's suite program - they will spoil you forever - no going back to a lower category!

DaveOKC

The breakfast menu in Pinnacle for Suite guests is the same as is served in the MDR. We think it a wonderful menu with such an amazing number of choices.

Pinnacle is less 'commotion' and is delightful service. Also, there is no 'table sharing'. No one is asked to sit with others unless that is what all involved want.

what does "Priority dining and seating requests" mean?

I have no idea if this is a suite perk or if anyone can do this (it's our first HAL cruise, and only 2nd cruise total) but when I logged in to the HAL site with our booking number, I was able to make reservations in the Pinnacle for September, and I was able to pick our dining time.

I have no idea if this is a suite perk or if anyone can do this (it's our first HAL cruise, and only 2nd cruise total) but when I logged in to the HAL site with our booking number, I was able to make reservations in the Pinnacle for September, and I was able to pick our dining time.

Every booked guest can pre-reserve specialty restaurants.

You can reserve for Pinnacle Dinner and Tamarind Dinner in advance on HAL site but you cannot reserve for lunch in either restaurant until you board the ship.

What is the "Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only" ? Is that the continental breakfast in the Neptune Lounge?

Held in the Pinnacle Grill, featuring the same menu as in the MDR.

That used to be the rule. But once again the rules seem to have changed.

On the Noordam in Nov/Dec we were only able to exchange the complimentary Pol Clemente wine for a bottle of houe wine -- Santa Carolina. Since we don't like either Pol Clemente or Santa Carolina we just left the bottles in the room at the end of the cruise.

On our recent Maasdam cruises we were allowed to exchange the Pol Clemente and pay the difference for something we liked.

Interesting. We were on the Noordam in January and exchanged our bottle of complimentary champagne for six cans of Diet Coke. We were told at that time that we could also exchange the champagne for a bottle of wine or beer.

From Wikipedia:

In October 2010, Norway's TV 2 reported that Voss is tap water from the municipal water supply in Iveland and, contrary to Voss marketing, is not artesian. TV 2 continued to maintain these claims despite Voss objections.

:D

??Our bottle of Voss was sparkling. Do they carbonate it artificially?

The priority dining thing definitely makes a difference. We always request early fixed dining. The only time we got it confirmed before the cruise was when we were in a deluxe suite. And that booking was the shortest time frame (6 months as opposed to a year or more) out of the three recent HAL trips. We got a window table, too. Hadn't asked for one, we just got it.

For one of the other cruises, we got open seating and were able to change it to early fixed on embarkation day. For the other cruise, we asked for early fixed, were told we had open, and when we checked in, we suddenly had late fixed, which we had NEVER requested. Although the ship was not full, we could not change to early fixed, we had to accept open. I firmly believe that if we'd booked deluxe suites, we'd have had our choice of dining time, no problem.

I suppose the idea is you pay more, you get more. But the irony is our deluxe suite was less per day than our other cruises because of a great flash sale.

Kathy, I find your post interesting as we had a thread the other day about flash sales and I got the (maybe erroneous ?) impression flash sales were only for cruises close to sail date by a month or maybe two at most.

I dismissed the idea of one from that thread as we book further out but now I'm puzzled after reading your post saying you had booked a flash price six months out.

I'd love to get a flash sale on a Suite. We always pay full, full, full price and I wouldn't mind a discount here or there.

We are in an SA deluxe suite on the Amsterdam for our first cruise (ever) on May 25. I have read over the list of perks for suites and was looking forward to breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for the atmosphere and the quiet, however I have since discovered on these boards that the suite breakfast is on the upper level of the main dining room on the Amsterdam and not in the Pinnacle Grill. So, I'm wondering if there is any benefit to eating in the upper level of the MDR or should we just go to the Lido or order room service? I have to tell you I am let down, but am sure I'll survive. :)

We are in an SA deluxe suite on the Amsterdam for our first cruise (ever) on May 25. I have read over the list of perks for suites and was looking forward to breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for the atmosphere and the quiet, however I have since discovered on these boards that the suite breakfast is on the upper level of the main dining room on the Amsterdam and not in the Pinnacle Grill. So, I'm wondering if there is any benefit to eating in the upper level of the MDR or should we just go to the Lido or order room service? I have to tell you I am let down, but am sure I'll survive. :)

Us too susygirl - in September. The Pinnacle on the Amsterdam is actually an inside area with no windows so I actually don't mind the idea of the MDR - would hate to miss something cos I was eating ...... :)

Us too susygirl - in September. The Pinnacle on the Amsterdam is actually an inside area with no windows so I actually don't mind the idea of the MDR - would hate to miss something cos I was eating ...... :)

Did the Pinnacle stewards serve breakfast or was it the dining room stewards?

Interesting. We were on the Noordam in January and exchanged our bottle of complimentary champagne for six cans of Diet Coke. We were told at that time that we could also exchange the champagne for a bottle of wine or beer.

We don't drink sodas or beer.

And the only wine they would exchange it for was the house wine -- Santa Carolina -- neither of us like it.

We generally don't eat a big breakfast so we ate in the Neptune Lounge most of the time.

We were also disappointed in this new twist on the Amsterdam.

We have been on several smaller HAL ships that served breakfast (for suites) in a separate room (normally King or Queen's room). I think they all had windows though. Anyway, we still enjoyed this more than the main dining room.

One nice thing about a deluxe suite is the large balcony, so if the weather is nice, we oftne have room service breakfast on it. HAL does a great job with room service breakfast options (including omlettes), so we do not miss anything.

DaveOKC

We generally don't eat a big breakfast so we ate in the Neptune Lounge most of the time.

We were also disappointed in this new twist on the Amsterdam.

My husband eats a light breakfast so the Neptune Lounge would work for him, but I eat an egg white omelet every morning---would it be possible to have room service deliver to the Neptune Lounge?

We have been on several smaller HAL ships that served breakfast (for suites) in a separate room (normally King or Queen's room). I think they all had windows though. Anyway, we still enjoyed this more than the main dining room.

One nice thing about a deluxe suite is the large balcony, so if the weather is nice, we oftne have room service breakfast on it. HAL does a great job with room service breakfast options (including omlettes), so we do not miss anything.

DaveOKC

I like the balcony idea if the weather is nice!

I had no idea there were no windows in the Pinnacle Grill. The MDR is not sounding like a bad option after all!

My husband eats a light breakfast so the Neptune Lounge would work for him, but I eat an egg white omelet every morning---would it be possible to have room service deliver to the Neptune Lounge?

No room service does not deliver to the Neptune Lounge.

Why not have your omelet delivered to your cabin and have your husband bring his breakfast from the Neptune Lounge to your cabin?

DaveOKC

On the S class ships the King's Room is now part of the Pinnacle Grill. They also took away part of the Explorers Lounge to make the Pinnacle Grill. The Queen's Room is now the Digital Work Shop.

I had no idea there were no windows in the Pinnacle Grill. The MDR is not sounding like a bad option after all!

Actually there are 3 windows in the Pinnacle on the R class ships -- they look into the hallway. Before they were the Pinnacle Grill they were the Odyssey and the Marco Polo Restaurants.

Archived