clarify suite perks

NoobCruise

we booked a deluxe suite on the westerdam and I'm not clear on what to expect from the added "perks" so hoping someone can clarify

HALs website says "complimentary champagne and bottled water provided in suite upon embarkation" what does that mean? a glass of champagne each for the bon voyage? one bottle of champagne for the room?

and "bottled water" - one bottle in the room? or do they provide free bottled water in our room throughout the cruise? not sure if I should pack a case of water with us

and how does the "priority boarding for tendered ports of call" work? Do we still have to wait in line to board when docked? and what about the first day we board the ship? Do we have to stand in line with everyone or is there any special boarding on the first day for suite guests?

and what does "special disembarkation service" mean?

Just trying to understand what we can expect of the suite "perks". I don't want to miss out on perks because I didn't know we could get them, but I also don't want to expect red-carpet treatment and be disappointed because I misunderstood the descriptions.

Thanks!

There will be a bottle of champagne and a bottle of water in your suite when you board. After that, you will be charged for bottled water, and of course, for champagne.

Boarding will have a special line for suites. For getting off the ship, when in ports you go to the area where people are getting off, show your room key/card, and you will be allowed to exit. This is most beneficial at tender ports. Your card will be gold (as opposed to blue for non-suite pax), so a quick glimpse says you are a suite pax.

Special disembarkation (on the last day of your cruise) means you can get off anytime you wish, not in in any assigned group.

There is no special line for suite tendering.

Priority Suite tendering means you don't have to go to lounge or whatever designated location to collect a tender ticket. You go directly to the tendering area and get in line. You do not cut the line and go to the front. You wait your turn. The line really isn't usually very long as they only permit limited number of folks with tender tickets to go there at once. When the line starts to back up, they stop sending more ticketed guests until the line goes down.

You will receive a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine which will be on the bureau in your cabin when you arrive. Usually the stewards have it on ice chilling. :)

For disembarkation at the end of the cruise, suite guests are assigned number/color the same as everyone but they can request just which time block they want. They are to go to the gangway to exit at the time assigned by that color/number.

This information is direct from the HAL web site:

Amenities included in fare for Deluxe Veranda Suites )Category " S", "SA", "SB", "SC" and Penthouse Cabins.

Deluxe Suites Include all the Superior Suite amenities, plus:

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Complimentary champagne and bottled water provided in suite upon embarkation
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

The above are in addition to that which is available for Superior Suites

Superior Suites include all the stateroom amenities, plus:

•A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows

•No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining

•Personalized cruise stationery

•Oversized bath towels

•One-touch telephone concierge service

•Fresh flowers

•Complimentary DVD library

You can find all these details on the HAL site.

For the poster in the SC cabin, it is quite a long distance from your cabin to Neptune. If you really enjoy coffee, the walk might be worth it to use the wonderful coffee machine in Neptune. :) We love it.

It's true, once you experience the Suite Life, there's no going back. We did our first suite in mid January and was the most relaxing vacation we've ever been on. It exceeded all our expectations. Last week we were having a bad week and my husband said to me, "to be back in our Suite would fix all this".

How right he was.

There is no special line for suite tendering.

Priority Suite tendering means you don't have to go to lounge or whatever designated location to collect a tender ticket. You go directly to the tendering area and get in line. You do not cut the line and go to the front. You wait your turn.

I wish more suite passengers would pay attention to the not cutting in line/going directly to the front of the line part. I cannot count the number of times I have been pushed and shoved out of the way because a rude suite passenger thinks they have the right to board any tender before the steerage passengers.

I wish more suite passengers would pay attention to the not cutting in line/going directly to the front of the line part. I cannot count the number of times I have been pushed and shoved out of the way because a rude suite passenger thinks they have the right to board any tender before the steerage passengers.

That's what's great about CC :) I don't wish to be rude, which is why I'm asking. HALs website says, and I do quote, "Priority boarding for tender ports of call". I think their description should be amended a little.

We have an aft corner suite on the Zuiderdam panama canal cruise and are curious about the Neptune lounge and other suite perks. This our first time cruising on HAL.

Once you have an aft corner with the huge balcony, you will never choose any other cabin. I think we had 25 fellow passengers on our last aft corner cabin for a sail-away party.

We have an aft corner suite on the Zuiderdam panama canal cruise and are curious about the Neptune lounge and other suite perks. This our first time cruising on HAL.

We had two Neptune Lounge experiences and I found I liked the simple breakfasts there and the ability to get small, delicious snacks through out the day - which I used for lunch and afternoon tea substitutes when returning from port excursions. DH loved the coffee machine.

The free laundry was great and the special suite passenger parties let us get to know the key officers and their spouses, if they were traveling with them at that time, which made the whole trip seem more intimate.

Was it because we got our little suite "corsages" for Formal Night that we also got the best service ever from our dining room staff on both those cruises? Who knows.

Suite life has tangible and intangible benefits. Lots of things I miss when we drop back to verandah, but for the premium prices we would also miss not taking as many cruises if we paid suite prices all the time.

Our 1st HAL trip we originally booked a veranda suite,but were offered and took an upgrade to a deluxe suite. We've never looked back.

We don't cruise multiple times a year,but when we do, it will be a suite.

Prior posters have said it all. you'll get used to the pampering very quickly.

When we get home, i always ask my wife: "Whats on the Pinnacle menu tonight?" The reply is usually a long sigh.

We're looking forward to walking into our suite on the Zuiderdam April 9th!

Just to chime in: we've had a deluxe suite (aft corner on Westerdam) and don't feel as if we have to book a suite again. Maybe, if the price is right or it's a special occasion or itinerary, but it's a generalization to say that once you've had a suite you won't be happy with anything else.

Was the experience nice? Yes.

Was it worth the price? Maybe.

Do I need a suite to be able to cruise? No.

It's true, once you experience the Suite Life, there's no going back. We did our first suite in mid January and was the most relaxing vacation we've ever been on. It exceeded all our expectations. Last week we were having a bad week and my husband said to me, "to be back in our Suite would fix all this".

How right he was.

We also did our first suite on Zaandam pre - Xmas - and DW was almost in tears as we left leaving the ship until the very last minute.:cool::cool:

Next time - you have a bad week - take a trip to :---

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayteeaitch?feature=mhee

and look at my video of 7026 on the Zaandam:D

If you don't like champagne, you can exchange it in the Neptune Lounge for a bottle of wine, beer or soda. It's another nice perk of being in a deluxe suite.

That used to be the rule. But once again the rules seem to have changed.

On the Noordam in Nov/Dec we were only able to exchange the complimentary Pol Clemente wine for a bottle of houe wine -- Santa Carolina. Since we don't like either Pol Clemente or Santa Carolina we just left the bottles in the room at the end of the cruise.

On our recent Maasdam cruises we were allowed to exchange the Pol Clemente and pay the difference for something we liked.

The free bottle of water that is given to the Deluxe Suite cabins is not regular bottled water. It is Voss -- an artisian water.

From Wikipedia:

In October 2010, Norway's TV 2 reported that Voss is tap water from the municipal water supply in Iveland and, contrary to Voss marketing, is not artesian. TV 2 continued to maintain these claims despite Voss objections.

:D

Thanks so much everyone! It's nice to know in advace where to go and what to do.

So someone said when we go to board the ship on embarkation day, there is a separate line for suite pax? Our first cruise, our TA booked our flight so tight we didn't even have time to grab a bite to eat or a drink. We walked off the plane directly on to the shuttle to the pier and the line was so long it took 4 hours just to get on the ship. Then we boarded just in time to drop our bags and grab life jackets for muster. We were starving, exhausted, and stressed and it took a day or 2 to relax and start enjoying ourselves.

This time, we fly to Seattle the day before, stay in a hotel, and plan to get to the ship around 11 am or so. Hopefully there won't be any lines yet and we can just enjoy our day on board :) but I would like to know where to go ;)

Archived