clarify suite perks

NoobCruise

Did the Pinnacle stewards serve breakfast or was it the dining room stewards?

Sail - we are yet to enjoy the delights of our SA - all I can say is 'roll on September' :D only 174 Days 5 hours 10 minutes and 23 seconds ... But who's counting?

Actually there are 3 windows in the Pinnacle on the R class ships -- they look into the hallway. Before they were the Pinnacle Grill they were the Odyssey and the Marco Polo Restaurants.

Thanks KK - I stand corrected :D Sometimes the ship plans do not show the 'real' view - looks like a very elegant place to dine - glad we have already booked

Very elegant, If only the Vistas and Signatures had that appearance.

Totally agree - the Pinnacle on the Maasdam was nice and had good views.

The Pinnacle on the Prinsendam is elegance plus with great views and it's Neptune Lounge is truly elegant with stained glass and sea views and a deck just by where the captain looks out as they are coming into port.

The smaller ships have such nice touches IMO:)

My husband eats a light breakfast so the Neptune Lounge would work for him, but I eat an egg white omelet every morning---would it be possible to have room service deliver to the Neptune Lounge?

I often have egg white omelet and you certainly can order for it to be delivered to your cabin if you don't wish to 'go out'. Only a very, very rare exception will Room Service deliver anywhere but to a guest's cabin.

Your DH is welcome to bring any food he wishes from Neptune back to your cabin to have breakfastt with you.

Sail - we are yet to enjoy the delights of our SA - all I can say is 'roll on September' :D only 174 Days 5 hours 10 minutes and 23 seconds ... But who's counting?

I love that enthusiasm.... :) Keep counting. Before you know it, you will be crossing the gangway. We still get just as excited for our cruises as we did when it was our first few and hope we never lose that excitement of boarding for a new cruise to begin.

On the Zaandam - this is the Suite guests breakfast room (Kings Room) - served by Pinnacle Maitre and staff. Used it a few times - but on lazy days when couldnt be bothered with dressing - grabbed a very full continental from the Neptune - (5 yards) at the same time as DW's breakfast tray arrived from Room Service.:)

Gobbled the lot on our beautiful Balcony dressed only in our PJs and DGs - and enjoyed at least 2 fags each with our Neptune coffee.:D

PS - the tray under the ice bucket is useful when going tothe Neptune for goodies - and I saw people with small rectangular lightweight trays that they brought with them

234239078_KingsRoomreduced.jpg.65dd89f151385bf9cb7dcbb70aa2a7fd.jpg

I appreciate all the advice and insight as to how to solve the breakfast dilemma. :) I will make a dinner reservation to enjoy the Pinnacle Grill since having breakfast there is not a suite perk on the Amsterdam.

We are in an SA deluxe suite on the Amsterdam for our first cruise (ever) on May 25. I have read over the list of perks for suites and was looking forward to breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill for the atmosphere and the quiet, however I have since discovered on these boards that the suite breakfast is on the upper level of the main dining room on the Amsterdam and not in the Pinnacle Grill. So, I'm wondering if there is any benefit to eating in the upper level of the MDR or should we just go to the Lido or order room service? I have to tell you I am let down, but am sure I'll survive. :)

Susygirl: We were on the Amsterdam in a Deluxe Verandah Suite in May 2010, and breakfasts in the upstairs level of the MDR were great. Very, very quiet, good service (and even better service after I tipped our server after our first morning's breakfast - service thereafter was unbelievably good), always able to sit by the window. As much as we loved eating dinner in the Pinnacle Grill, in the morning, I was happy to look out those upstairs MDR windows. Room service also was pretty great in the suite.

We were on the Amsterdam in June 2011 -- and were shocked to find that the King's Room had been turned into a storage area.

The first morning we tried the upper level for suite passengers. Six of us arrived first and were seated by the window. We waited and waited to be served. Finally 3 breakfasts came out. Then after awhile 2 more. My DH kept asking where his breakfast was and was told that they had forgotten it but it would soon be ready. The rest of us ate our meals as they were getting cold. After an hour DH finally got his breakfast and it was cold. Worst experience we have ever had. Went back once more -- no better even at a table for 2.

So, if I understand this post correctly Verandah suites do not count or offer any perks. This is our first cruise on HAL. We have always cruised with Regent and are spoiled with larger cabins and all the amenities Regent offers. However, the itinerary on HAL suited our purposes better this time. Thanks.

forevertravel:)

So, if I understand this post correctly Verandah suites do not count or offer any perks. This is our first cruise on HAL. We have always cruised with Regent and are spoiled with larger cabins and all the amenities Regent offers. However, the itinerary on HAL suited our purposes better this time. Thanks.

If you choose a Deluxe Verandah Suite you would have a similar standard of comparison.

The Superior Verandah Suites have perks over Verandah Oceanview, but the Deluxe Verandah Suite has even more perks then the Superior.

Here's the descriptions and differences on the Westerdam:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlans.action?ship=we&deck=n

Thanks so much everyone for helping us interpret these! I have another question. Are the binoculars and umbrellas for use only on the ship or can we use them in port and on shore excursions? Or should I put them on my packing list for in port?

What's the quality of the binoculars?

:D You wouldn't have much need for an umbrella aboard the ship, so yes,,,, we are permitted to bring them ashore. However, be advised they are very large, golf size umbrellas and if we are going any particular distance from the ship, we use our own travel umbrellas. We find the Suite ones too large to manipulate on a sidewalk without injurying someone. :)

Binnoculars are large and heavy and we would not be apt to tote them ashore. If you have small, compact ones, I would suggest using them off the ship and maybe using the ship's while aboard.

:D You wouldn't have much need for an umbrella aboard the ship, so yes,,,, we are permitted to bring them ashore. However, be advised they are very large, golf size umbrellas and if we are going any particular distance from the ship, we use our own travel umbrellas. We find the Suite ones too large to manipulate on a sidewalk without injurying someone. :)

Binnoculars are large and heavy and we would not be apt to tote them ashore. If you have small, compact ones, I would suggest using them off the ship and maybe using the ship's while aboard.

Thanks! I'll be sure to pack my own!

Just returned from a HAL cruise and we had a deluxe suite. One bottle of chanpagne and one bottle of water are free, any add'l will be charged to your onboard acct. Your laundry and dry cleaning is also free. The embarkation is really easy, they provide a seperate check in area for deluxe suite and penthouse guests. Disembarkation is really not special and neither is the priority tender svc.

Be sure to go to the Neptune lounge on the 7th deck and order snacks before dinner if you want them delivered to your cabin daily. The Neptune lounge is really great, the conseurge will help you with anything you need and they have wonderful snacks all day long.

Hope this helps

Just returned from a HAL cruise and we had a deluxe suite. One bottle of chanpagne and one bottle of water are free, any add'l will be charged to your onboard acct. Your laundry and dry cleaning is also free. The embarkation is really easy, they provide a seperate check in area for deluxe suite and penthouse guests. Disembarkation is really not special and neither is the priority tender svc.

Be sure to go to the Neptune lounge on the 7th deck and order snacks before dinner if you want them delivered to your cabin daily. The Neptune lounge is really great, the conseurge will help you with anything you need and they have wonderful snacks all day long.

Hope this helps

What type of snacks before dinner? Do they deliver those to you room or is that something you partake in at the Neptune lounge? This will be our first time in a SB suite...looking forward to it!

What type of snacks before dinner? Do they deliver those to you room or is that something you partake in at the Neptune lounge? This will be our first time in a SB suite...looking forward to it!

There is always some kind of 'goodies' in the Neptune, always according to the time of day. Quite a few folks would eat their breakfast in there. There was always some kind of juice/drink available as well as coffee, etc. You can always bring the food back to your cabin. As suggested on this board, I'd take along the tray under my ice bucket, lots of folks did that.

I asked the concierge to have h'orderves (please excuse the spelling) sent to our room each day at 2. He called room service for us and set it up. I found when I called room service, there was a language barrier that I didn't find with other interactions with staff on the ship. No biggie, but noticeable. I didn't want alot of food, so ordered only for 2/something healthy and that I didn't eat seafood, but my husband loved it. Each day for 10 days we received a plate of some kind of seafood and a plate of sliced cucumbers and carrots. The amount was absolutely perfect, just enough to tide us over until dinner. My husband loved the seafood he got. He still is missing his shrimp wrapped in 'shredded wheat'.

One of our last days, I witnessed one of the rudest people I've encountered in a long time. A gentleman came in and asked the young man who kept the food stocked where a specific cookie was, there was only choc. chip that day. The gentleman than started telling the young man in a very loud voice (I think he thought he was funny, when in actuality, he was acting like and a$$hole) that the cookies were sure alot smaller, but Holland sure wasn't decreasing their prices on anything. The concierge and young man stood there taking this rudeness with a smile on their faces. Just awful behavior.

Hope this helps

Side note - we do not like the champagne, so we take it back to the Neptune and they normally exchange it for a bottle of wine or something else (soda, water, beer, etc).

Side note - we do not like the champagne, so we take it back to the Neptune and they normally exchange it for a bottle of wine or something else (soda, water, beer, etc).

What kind of Champagne was it? We are bringing along my favorite Champagne which truth be told is the Kirkland brand (Costco)...it is absolutely fabulous and I would compare it to White Star but at half the cost. Should I leave it at home? Is the complimentary champagne pretty good?

What kind of Champagne was it? We are bringing along my favorite Champagne which truth be told is the Kirkland brand (Costco)...it is absolutely fabulous and I would compare it to White Star but at half the cost. Should I leave it at home? Is the complimentary champagne pretty good?

The complimentary champagne is probably not as good as yours IMO:D Many of us exchange it for wine unless you are doing a party in the room and someone wants it:) It's nothing special IMO

Hope this helps

Was this champagne or a sparkling wine?

[quote name=dpump;32995397

One of our last days' date=' I witnessed one of the rudest people I've encountered in a long time. A gentleman came in and asked the young man who kept the food stocked where a specific cookie was, there was only choc. chip that day. The gentleman than started telling the young man in a very loud voice (I think he thought he was funny, when in actuality, he was acting like and a$$hole) that the cookies were sure alot smaller, but Holland sure wasn't decreasing their prices on anything. The concierge and young man stood there taking this rudeness with a smile on their faces. Just awful behavior.[/quote]

I am always appalled by the rude behaviour of some people.

Archived