Current Cruise Directors (CD) List - UPDATED

DonnaK

"Mariner OTS - Steve Davis Feb.10 - May 6th, Gordon Whatman is coming to Mariner on April 21. (Will there be an overlap for a smoother transition between CDs, or will Steve be leaving earlier than originally noted?"

The information that I was given from Crown and Anchor is that Steve will be on the 21st sailing. Of course we know those things can change.

Anyone been on a cruise with John Blair as the CD?

Sheri

Yes, but the last time was in 2008 on Vision out of Los Angeles. We met John and Katrina in 1997 on Song of America, and have had the pleasure of sailing with them many times.

In my opinion John Blair is the worst cruise director I have sailed with. He was cruise director on the Grandeur out of Port Everglades back in 2010 and he just didn't do a good job (in my opinion). I never saw him around the ship and in fact saw and talked to the captain more than John Blair. His idea of pool entertainment was to set up cornhole games on the pool deck. During the Love and Marriage game he asked the husband of the long time married couple what he would change about his wife. The man replied "Nothing, she's perfect". Blair said "Oh come on, there must be something you'd change". He badgered the man until he changed his answer to "bosum". When the wife was asked the same question she replied "nothing, he thinks I'm perfect". Blair then told her "oh, I'm sorry, he said bosum". :rolleyes:

Plus, for every announcement he made he added on that he and his wife would be leading a non-denominational church service at such and such time. I'm not religious and quite frankly one announcement would have been enough. The people that want to go to a church service will find it.

Anyways, that's enough of my rant. I could have just said I didn't like John Blair but I felt I should give my reasons why I don't like him. :)

YUCK...I'm considering August again this year and I'd rather have Ricky Matthews over Amy Fickert.....I'm sorry to hear that :(

I didn't really appreciate her style of humor last year. She cracked jokes at passengers expense and I did not find it very amusing.

You know, I hope that you commented on this on your guest survey. That kind of behavior is really not acceptable. It is one thing for the comic to comment on those in the front row - you expect that from a comic and sit farther back if this will bother you. From a CD, I would not be happy at all if she was making people feel uncomfortable - even if it was someone else and not me. If she gets enough negative comments on her surveys about her behavior you can bet the she will reign in the inappropriate comments.

I've ALWAYS said that there isn't a mirror on any ship that John Blair can go past and not stop and stare at himself in. He is the most egotistical, self-centered man as a cruise director that I have ever had the misfortune to experience. He comes with an on/off switch, depending upon who he might be meeting and how it can benefit him. The only one I feel sorrier for than the passengers on his cruises, is his wife Katrina.

If you look up the definition to the word "Smarmy" - that's John Blair

Anyone been on a cruise with John Blair as the CD?

Sheri

Yes, we just got off of the Enchantment on Sat. Cruise Critic members had a big farewell for them. They are leaving mid May and wil do 2 one month vacation coverages and then they are TBA! They are devistated at leaving Baltimore so they do hope to get to the Granduer at some point.

I've ALWAYS said that there isn't a mirror on any ship that John Blair can go past and not stop and stare at himself in. He is the most egotistical, self-centered man as a cruise director that I have ever had the misfortune to experience. He comes with an on/off switch, depending upon who he might be meeting and how it can benefit him. The only one I feel sorrier for than the passengers on his cruises, is his wife Katrina.

Wow -- thanks for sharing.

Whoaaa...you're SERIOUS, huh? Well, it appears that he'll still be on the Enchantment when DH and I board on 5/10 in Port Canaveral. I'll be checking him and his wife out to see what I think. But I won't let that ruin my vacation...I've been looking forward to this for too long!

Whoaaa...you're SERIOUS, huh? Well, it appears that he'll still be on the Enchantment when DH and I board on 5/10 in Port Canaveral. I'll be checking him and his wife out to see what I think. But I won't let that ruin my vacation...I've been looking forward to this for too long!

Whether you like him or not, it certainly won’t affect your cruise! He put on a Neil Diamond show that I didn’t go to because I am not a Neil Diamond fan but my friends did and said it was excellent! I never saw him looking in any mirrors and I think a Cruise Director needs to have a certain full on personality to do their job!:rolleyes::cool:

Whether you like him or not, it certainly won’t affect your cruise! He put on a Neil Diamond show that I didn’t go to because I am not a Neil Diamond fan but my friends did and said it was excellent! I never saw him looking in any mirrors and I think a Cruise Director needs to have a certain full on personality to do their job!:rolleyes::cool:

I have to disagree with you on the "affect" part. Will it ruin the cruise? Certainly not, but a bad CD doesn't enhance the cruise and that's what they're there to do. So I would argue that it would "affect" the cruise.

I have to disagree with you on the "affect" part. Will it ruin the cruise? Certainly not, but a bad CD doesn't enhance the cruise and that's what they're there to do. So I would argue that it would "affect" the cruise.

I agree that a bad CD can have a negative effect on the cruise. We really like to be entertained on a cruise, and we go to all the shows and participate in many activities. Two of the last 3 cruises we went on had issues with weather (Hurricane Irene and a cold January cruise from NY/NJ) where the outer decks had to be closed, itineraries were altered, and people who would normally enjoy the pool decks were drawn inside. A good CD knew how to keep these people entertained and positively occupied, but a bad CD did nothing to inspire fun under adverse conditions so people were aimlessly wandering about the ship bored and complaining. Nighttime activities under the bad CD paled in comparison to the same activities a few months later on the same ship with a more dynamic CD.

The CD definitely makes a huge impact on the fun factor, and the overall atmosphere onboard the cruise.

Looking for updates..do any cruisers embarking or disembarking this weekend have info from the ship or from the CD's for us?

Ken Rush was the Cruise Director on the Allure for the week of 4/7... He did tell everybody that he would not be on this week's cruise because he was emceeing the Quantum event in NYC, but he would return to the Allure for next week, the 21st.

I agree that a bad CD can have a negative effect on the cruise. We really like to be entertained on a cruise, and we go to all the shows and participate in many activities. Two of the last 3 cruises we went on had issues with weather (Hurricane Irene and a cold January cruise from NY/NJ) where the outer decks had to be closed, itineraries were altered, and people who would normally enjoy the pool decks were drawn inside. A good CD knew how to keep these people entertained and positively occupied, but a bad CD did nothing to inspire fun under adverse conditions so people were aimlessly wandering about the ship bored and complaining. Nighttime activities under the bad CD paled in comparison to the same activities a few months later on the same ship with a more dynamic CD.

The CD definitely makes a huge impact on the fun factor, and the overall atmosphere onboard the cruise.

DonnaK -

Great example; I couldn't have said it better. However, just in case we don't luck out with the Blairs on the Enchantment next month...hubby and I will make our OWN fun! LOL ;)

Ken Rush was the Cruise Director on the Allure for the week of 4/7... He did tell everybody that he would not be on this week's cruise because he was emceeing the Quantum event in NYC, but he would return to the Allure for next week, the 21st.

Interesting that Ken was on your sailing...he wasn't due back until the end of April!

Thanks for the update!

Adventure OTS - Anthony Richards until April 21. Clo O'Connor starts April 21 through sometime in July (exact end date unknown at this time), then Drew Devine will be joining Adventure in July

Allure OTS - Ken Rush begins April 21

Brilliance OTS - Paul Lancaster beginning March 31

Enchantment OTS - John Blair started Jan 14, then Marc Walker from June 7 - Nov. 25

Explorer OTS - Leigh Xuereb returned as the regular CD of Explorer on April 7. John Blair will be covering Leigh's break in early August through early October (exact dates are not yet known)

Freedom OTS - Richard Spacey begins as the regular CD of Freedom on April 14

Grandeur OTS - Rico du Breil started Oct 26 *Jimmy Rhodes will be the regular CD for a few contracts when Grandeur moves to Baltimore (beginning with repositioning on April 21?)

Independence OTS - Jeff Arpin started March 30. Joff Eaton returns May 26 through early September.

Jewel OTS - Carly Boileau from March 21 through sometime in July (exact date unknown), then Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) from sometime in July through sometime in Sept (exact dates unknown), then Carly is back in September (exact date unknown)

Legend OTS - Dan Whitney (dates?)

Liberty OTS - Rich Edwards started March 21

Majesty OTS - Dave Chapman started March 4, then Mitch Merucci starts on May 17 for 8 weeks.

Mariner OTS - Steve Davis Feb.10 - May 6th, Gordon Whatman is coming to Mariner on April 21. (Will there be an overlap for a smoother transition between CDs, or will Steve be leaving earlier than originally noted?)

Navigator OTS - Keith Williams March 30 through April 21 (Unknown if Simona is returning, or if another CD will be taking over)

Oasis OTS - Ricky Matthews March 30 through June 1. Amy Fickert plans to return from her break on June 1 through Sept 21, then Ricky Matthews September 21 through November 23

Radiance OTS - Bobby and Becky Brown returned on January 21. Paul Rutter for the Alaska season, May 17 through Sept 6.

Rhapsody OTS - Luke Aerowsmith March 11 through "sometime in June". Graham Seymour for the Alaska season beginning May 31 (he is arriving on May 24 for an overlap...info comes directly from Graham, a few pages back on this thread)

Serenade OTS - Casey Peltier April 8 through July 30, then Ricky Matthews July 30 though September 16

Splendour OTS - João Pereira returned Dec 9 for the winter season in South America

Vision OTS - Mike Hunnerup started January 14 (until when?)

Voyager OTS - Lixin Fang began March 23 for the Asian season

Adventure OTS - Clo O'Connor starts April 21 through sometime in July (exact end date unknown at this time), then Drew Devine will be joining Adventure in July

Enchantment OTS - John Blair started Jan 14, then Marc Walker from June 7 - Nov. 25

Explorer OTS - Leigh Xuereb returned as the regular CD of Explorer on April 7. John Blair will be covering Leigh's break in early August through early October (exact dates are not yet known)

Freedom OTS - Richard Spacey began as the regular CD of Freedom on April 14

Grandeur OTS - Jimmy Rhodes will be the regular CD for a few contracts when Grandeur moves to Baltimore (beginning with repositioning on April 21?)

Independence OTS - Jeff Arpin started March 30. Joff Eaton returns May 26 through early September.

Jewel OTS - Carly Boileau from March 21 through sometime in July (exact date unknown), then Dennis Charles (Dennis Sciortino) from sometime in July through sometime in Sept (exact dates unknown), then Carly is back in September (exact date unknown)

Majesty OTS - Dave Chapman started March 4, then Mitch Merucci starts on May 17 for 8 weeks.

Mariner OTS - Steve Davis Feb.10 - May 6th, Gordon Whatman is coming to Mariner on April 21. (Will there be an overlap for a smoother transition between CDs, or will Steve be leaving earlier than originally noted?)

Navigator OTS - Keith Williams March 30 through April 21 (Unknown if Simona is returning, or if another CD will be taking over)

Oasis OTS - Ricky Matthews March 30 through June 1. Amy Fickert plans to return from her break on June 1 through Sept 21, then Ricky Matthews September 21 through November 23

Radiance OTS - Bobby and Becky Brown returned on January 21. Paul Rutter for the Alaska season, May 17 through Sept 6.

Rhapsody OTS - Luke Aerowsmith March 11 through "sometime in June". Graham Seymour for the Alaska season beginning May 31 (he is arriving on May 24 for an overlap...info comes directly from Graham, a few pages back on this thread)

Serenade OTS - Casey Peltier April 8 through July 30, then Ricky Matthews July 30 though September 16

Splendour OTS - João Pereira returned Dec 9 for the winter season in South America

Got off from Independence Transatlantic this morning. The CD wasn't Jeff Arpin. Rob McNally (not sure of spelling) joined Indy for the crossing but don't know if he is staying on for dry dock or until Joff returns. Never had Rob before - I think he was activity manager at some point on Indy with Joff and was promoted to CD for

our cruise. Sophie was activities manager. Rob was OK - could tell he was nervous at first but got more confident over the cruise.

Got off from Independence Transatlantic this morning. The CD wasn't Jeff Arpin. Rob McNally (not sure of spelling) joined Indy for the crossing but don't know if he is staying on for dry dock or until Joff returns. Never had Rob before - I think he was activity manager at some point on Indy with Joff and was promoted to CD for

our cruise. Sophie was activities manager. Rob was OK - could tell he was nervous at first but got more confident over the cruise.

Adventure OTS - Clo O'Connor starts April 21 through sometime in July (exact end date unknown at this time), then Drew Devine will be joining Adventure in July

Freedom OTS - Richard Spacey began as the regular CD of Freedom on April 14

Grandeur OTS - Jimmy Rhodes will be the regular CD for a few contracts when Grandeur moves to Baltimore (beginning with repositioning on April 21?)

Independence OTS - Rob McNally (former activities manager) for the Transatlantic (April 7 sailing) Joff Eaton returns May 26 through early September.

I cannot seem to find out who the CD will be on the Splendour for our cruis 25 May, even RCI don't seem to know!!

Just a guess, but last year, it was Bill Brunkhorst who alternated seasons with Joao. Maybe you can find Bill on social media and ask him there?

(RCI is notoriously inaccurate with CD info. The best source is from the CDs, or crew onboard the ships)

Archived