Royal Princess design: badly solsticized

cruisetrail

Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Wrap-around promenade, front observation, aft pool, skywalkers, bow access are gone.

• I do NOT like this.
    • I like this.

Harsh? Perhaps you should go back and re-read some of her posts before the one I quoted. They were harsh; I was merely brusque. With my usual soupcon of snarky.

Which is, in my not so humble opinion, is one of your most glowing attributes! Snark on!;)

Isn't that what rdsgrl just said?

"sorry if you feel the expressed opinions of those who have valid concerns have no place here, but you need to realize that everyone is allowed to post about the new ship, not just people who only want to post happy talk."

"Happy talk"; very original. Everyone has the right to post here. It just seems that everyone is slamming the Royal instead of posting what you call "valid concerns."........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The little girls came into the fleet as-is -- there's as much point in criticizing them as there is in complaining that the used car you bought was white when you wanted red. On the other hand, the Royal is a brand-new design to Princess's specs, one which we can assume will be followed going forward. Thus, it is hardly whining we're engaged in, but constructive critique about the future direction of ship design. I'm sorry if you feel the expressed opinions of those who have valid concerns have no place here, but you need to realize that everyone is allowed to post about the new ship, not just people who only want to post happy talk. I should think the title of the thread would have clued you in as to the tenor of the conversation herein. Perhaps you could start a competing "The Royal is the Best Ship Ever" thread, and I will then dutifully promise not to post any comments thereon about the lack of a promenade deck and aft public space.

Everyone is free to make any criticism they like... even though at this point, they're completely unfounded as she doesn't even float. But treating the design of Royal like a death in the family is completely over the top. I think the post that sent me on my rant has been deleted.

My comment about Ocean and Pacific is that not all ships meet all needs...book and sail the ships that do..it's really not tough.

Personally I'm sick to death of the whining that has been with one or two posters since day one. If you don't like it, don't sail her.. fairly easy. Going on and on and on about no freaking promenade deck is childish. Book a ship that has a promenade deck

I guess it's just easier for some people to whinge and whine than not. Sad existence....and I don't mean that towards you or Ann. There's been a lot of posts deleted from this thread in the past 24 hours so you're not seeing the whole picture.

"Happy talk"; very original. Everyone has the right to post here. It just seems that everyone is slamming the Royal instead of posting what you call "valid concerns."............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

I'm not sure I understand. I think that concern about whether there are aft views or doors from Aft Suites are valid concerns. Not all of us looked at builders' models with magnifying glasses or microscopes when it came out one day after bookings opened. Just as people may love features that have been revealed, so may others of us not like some of the plans. Are we all not entitled to our opinions?

I'm not sure I understand. I think that concern about whether there are aft views or doors from Aft Suites are valid concerns. Not all of us looked at builders' models with magnifying glasses or microscopes when it came out one day after bookings opened. Just as people may love features that have been revealed, so may others of us not like some of the plans. Are we all not entitled to our opinions?

Ann;

I wasn't talking your comments. I was talking about the purely negative comments.

Bob

I am looking at the new Princess flagship design.

Aft pool with terraces has gone.

Wrap-around promenade has been ruined.

Kyphotic stern with exposed balconies appeared.

Lack of pool deck space.

Cabanas for rent grow like poison mushrooms.

Still not clear what has happened to the forward observation deck.

It appears that a beautiful Princess ship has been solsticized.

Crudely solsticized.

At this time the Royal Princess does not look much better than Celebrity Solstice class ships (less grass lawns).

Too pessimistic?

Royal Princess renderings

Royal Princess deck plans

My wife and her friends will disappointed in the design. THe rear pool is their favorite feature on the newer Princess Ships and keeps us coming back.

It took me awhile to find this, and I think there are other threads like it, but look at the comments on this board when RC first announced its Oasis Class.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808190&highlight=new+ship

It's amusing that some of those same people making judgments on that thread are the same ones warning against making judgments on this one.

Just saying'.

It took me awhile to find this, and I think there are other threads like it, but look at the comments on this board when RC first announced its Oasis Class.

It's amusing that some of those same people making judgments on that thread are the same ones warning against making judgments on this one.

Just saying'.

I am not sure if it's amusing. Some people don't like change and will give the internet forum version of the stink eye to anyone who messes with the class of ship or even the ship that they are comfortable with. As impossible as it is for them to imagine, the expanded atrium with all of the new entertainment it will bring, the Vista lounge, the Seawalk, the dueling pianos (a concept gaining in popularity in many cities), and other enhancements, may make for a different and even better cruise vacation.

Maybe it's people like me who are the "problem". I get bored easy with the same cruise ship experience time after time on the Grand Class. We've had great cruises, but only because all three had different itineraries (Eastern Caribbean, Grand Med, and British Isles). I need a break from these ships. For now, the Royal is limited to Grand Med and Eastern Caribbean and those aren't on the horizon for us. Hopefully, when the sister ship is placed in service, we'll find an itinerary we can put our FCCs to use on. In the mean time, our next one is with the kids on the Allure and we're looking at options for the Baltics.

.. As impossible as it is for them to imagine, the expanded atrium with all of the new entertainment it will bring, the Vista lounge, the Seawalk, the dueling pianos (a concept gaining in popularity in many cities), and other enhancements, may make for a different and even better cruise vacation.

Where in this thread did you see a word of disagreement with these enhansements?

Why not enhance Princess key signature features "for even better cruise vacation"?

Why are they gone?

Where in this thread did you see a word of disagreement with these enhansements?

Why not enhance Princess key signature features "for even better cruise vacation"?

Why are they gone?

Are you 100% sure that Princess could have added all of these new venues and uses of space without removing some of the old venues?

On my last cruise, it certainly seemed as if both Club Fusion and Skywalkers were very underutilized.

Are you 100% sure that Princess could have added all of these new venues and uses of space without removing some of the old venues?

On my last cruise, it certainly seemed as if both Club Fusion and Skywalkers were very underutilized.

The same was true of Adagio Bar. Their disjoint aft location may have had something to do with this the underutilization.

I do wonder about the Vista Lounge on the new Royal. But there is more of a flow on Promenade deck with Princess Live, Crown Grill, Wheelhouse Bar, and then the Vista Longe. And then the Concerto Dining Room is one deck below on Fiesta.

The same was true of Adagio Bar. Their disjoint aft location may have had something to do with this the underutilization.

I do wonder about the Vista Lounge on the new Royal. But there is more of a flow on Promenade deck with Princess Live, Crown Grill, Wheelhouse Bar, and then the Vista Longe. And then the Concerto Dining Room is one deck below on Fiesta.

I like Adagio and agree on the location. I wonder if the ship was designed with help from the entertainment people, who really understand the underutilization of the public venues on the newer grand class ships. I can't say that I would miss Club Fusion or Skywalkers at all. I like Explorers when there is a cover band. But maybe that type of thing along with the game shows will go in Club Vista and that will be more of a central destination. Time wil tell. I look forward to reading reviews.

I like Adagio and agree on the location. I wonder if the ship was designed with help from the entertainment people, who really understand the underutilization of the public venues on the newer grand class ships. I can't say that I would miss Club Fusion or Skywalkers at all. I like Explorers when there is a cover band. But maybe that type of thing along with the game shows will go in Club Vista and that will be more of a central destination. Time wil tell. I look forward to reading reviews.

Adagio was my favorite bar on the Crown Princess (I'm usually a Crooner's kinda guy :p), but found that the bar staff was excellent and the room was generally empty. One night, some members of the Princess orchestra had a jazz session that was attended by maybe 10 people. 'Twas great, it felt like we had a private concert. :)

It certainly does look like they designed the ship to better utilize their entertainment venues... as opposed to the Grand-class ships...

It all depends on what you want.

If you want to build Princess you get Princess.

If you want to build MSC you get MSC.

What does "underutilized" mean?

Look at RCI, Celebrity, HAL - they all have lounges that are quiet ("underutilized") during the day.

Bring pastries; serve tea/coffee in Skywalkers and it will be full during the day. A quiet place with good food and beautiful sea views - marvelous!

Take another look at RCI Liberty of the Seas.

You see grandiose wrap-around promenade deck, front observation areas, no lifeboats in front of the balconies, a flow rider (could have been aft pool instead), Viking Crown Lounge on top of the ship.

This is a “package” of a classy cruise ship.

Preserve, improve this package and then – improve interiors, let your imagination soar.

But please don’t peel Princess like a potato.

Just a few basic improvements to humanize the project. Minimal structure changes required.

1. Aft "promenade area" connected around the stern.

2. Upper decks extended aft to alleviate kyphotic appearance,add more space and cover at least several balconies.

The added space can be used in different ways. Add a glass dome and get a wonderful aft looking lounge.

Add a processing staircase down to the buffet.

3.The buffet area gets extended wings (as a reminder of the former Skywalkers) with small observation areas. Those seats in the wings with panoramic view of the ocean would be the loveliest places in the buffet.

dq57vs.jpg

On every cruise I have been on with a Club Fusion, it was rarely not being used daytime (when at sea) and evening. Among activities there:

Bingo

Trivia

Wooden horse racing

Dance lessons

Lectures

Pop star finals

Movies

Game shows

Skywalkers on the other hand had relatively little usage:

During the day passengers who wanted a quiet place to relax, read, or just watch the ocean go by.

Early evening the Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge

Rest of the evening: usually a ghost town

Not sure if the lack of evening particpation was due to one or more of the following:

a) People not aware of the location and how to get there

b) Other activities more interesting than a DJ playing music

c) Passengers just too tired to party-on after 10 PM.

Another person posted that the Adagio Lounge was also underutilized. During the day it has been used for activities such as trivia, martini demos, etc. In the early evening it is a piano lounge which was a nice place to relax, but never attracted many people as it was also the dinner hour. Late evening either again a piano lounge or, as one other poster said, a place for some of the show band to play jazz.

Just saying'.

I like your S.T.Y.L.E.

Does this mean you are rethinking your booking on the Royal? I know I would be if I had the above concerns.

OK...we sail on a smaller budget than many of you. I booked the least expensive inside on the Royal the morning it became available, in part because it will be our first TA, we want to go back to Italy beforehand, and it will sail a day after my partner's birthday.

But mostly I decided to pay a premium over other TAs because I wanted to sail on an amazing new ship. The rendering of the atrium certainly promised that. But many of the features I've come to love will apparently be missing from the Royal. And though Princess has the right to raise revenue however it sees fit, some of the new whizz-bang features - the spiffy Captain's Table, the cabañas - join the Sanctuary on the list of Neat Things Off-limits to the Non-paying Hoi Polloi.

Because I especially love cruising as an occasion to be outdoors on a ship, not to buy luxury goods and upcharge sushi, not even to sit inside in a mock TV studio, yes, I am thinking about booking another TA instead.

On the other hand, if I don't enjoy my 18 days, I don't ever have to set foot on her again.

OK...we sail on a smaller budget than many of you. I booked the least expensive inside on the Royal the morning it became available, in part because it will be our first TA, we want to go back to Italy beforehand, and it will sail a day after my partner's birthday.

But mostly I decided to pay a premium over other TAs because I wanted to sail on an amazing new ship. The rendering of the atrium certainly promised that. But many of the features I've come to love will apparently be missing from the Royal. And though Princess has the right to raise revenue however it sees fit, some of the new whizz-bang features - the spiffy Captain's Table, the cabañas - join the Sanctuary on the list of Neat Things Off-limits to the Non-paying Hoi Polloi.

Because I especially love cruising as an occasion to be outdoors on a ship, not to buy luxury goods and upcharge sushi, not even to sit inside in a mock TV studio, yes, I am thinking about booking another TA instead.

On the other hand, if I don't enjoy my 18 days, I don't ever have to set foot on her again.

You live where I could only wish I lived. I have said it before -- "San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the U.S." But, it is expensive to live there. If I lived there, I doubt I would be crusing. :) Well, at least not as often.

Your budget is understandable. Budgets are relative as are low budgets. Anyone who can spend time in Italy beforehand is not a budget traveler. Lucky you! You have chosen well--Italy and then the Royal. In my humble and accurate opinion, there is much on this ship to look forward to. Am I sure I love the whole design? Nope. But there is enough that I like and much that is new that I want to experience. At Vines, the "upscale sushi" and the tapas are complimentary with your adult beverage which will cost you. I will miss Skywalker's. It is for me the best evening venue on a New Year's Eve cruise, but is underutilized it seems on other cruises. And, for a quiet drink with friends Adagio Bar is a great location, but now it is gone. Another venue that seems to get underutilized so often.

My suggestion would be to wait until just before final payment date and decide if you want to keep your booking. By then, there will definitely be many reviews posted on the new Royal Princess.

My wife and her friends will disappointed in the design. THe rear pool is their favorite feature on the newer Princess Ships and keeps us coming back.

While Princess is being solstized, Costa princessizes their ships.

Redesigned aft pool area on the new Costa ships.

2ywabe0.jpg

Archived