Dinner attire for boys

We bring a pair of khaki pants and a pair of dark pants for my teen son. He wears these with polos or button down with tie. After dinner it is right back to shorts so the 2 pairs last the week.

We bring a pair of khaki pants and a pair of dark pants for my teen son. He wears these with polos or button down with tie. After dinner it is right back to shorts so the 2 pairs last the week.

This is what I have always done.

My boys are 14 and 16. They have cruised since they were 5 and 7. For dinner wear they take 2 pairs of pants: one khaki, one navy, 2 polo type shirts, 2 button down short sleeved shirts, one dress shirt, one tie. This lasts for a 7 or 9 night cruise. The rest of the clothes that they take is 3 bathing suits, several t- shirts, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of pajamas, lots of socks and underwear. For shoes, they take one pair of flip-flops, one pair of athletic shoes, and one pair of dress shoes to be worn every night at dinner. As soon as dinner is over, they change back into shorts. Dinner clothes don't really get dirty since they are worn for only 2-3 hours. The one dress shirt is paired with a tie for the two formal nights. I don't make them wear a jacket on formal nights.

Have a great cruise!

Just posted this on another thread. After we saw t-shirts and ball caps (kept ON all through dinner) on formal night in the MDR, DH and DS wore dress shorts (khaki or plaid) and polos every night after that. No one said a word.

Just posted this on another thread. After we saw t-shirts and ball caps (kept ON all through dinner) on formal night in the MDR, DH and DS wore dress shorts (khaki or plaid) and polos every night after that. No one said a word.

Just because you saw it doesn't make it either right or acceptable. The cruiseline clearly states that shorts are not acceptable in the MDR on children or adults.

If I had a toddler boy, I'd consider an Eton suit for him for formal night dinner. Other than that, I'd put him in long pants -- there's no reason a young fellow can't learn to appreciate dressing up for special occasions, and if you play up the "this is special, and we all want to look our best", he will buy into it.

Just because you saw it doesn't make it either right or acceptable. The cruiseline clearly states that shorts are not acceptable in the MDR on children or adults.

...and I knew that's what someone would say :) Since no one can see what my DH or DS is wearing under the table...but everyone can see the Budweiser t-shirt and dirty ball cap, I think we're doing ok. If and when RCI decides to enforce the rules for EVERYONE, then I will be happy to oblige. There were many men in the MDR with dress shorts and nice shirts after that first formal night, and they all looked 100 times better then the schlubs who continuously showed up dirty, disheveled, like they just rolled in from tailgating. I saw bare legs on men (gasp!) for all of...what?...a minute on either side of dinner as they walked in and out of the MDR? And that was only if I chose to scrutinize what everyone was wearing...which by the way, I did not.

If the worst thing that happens to you on your cruise is that you see men in the MDR wearing shorts...then I would say you had a very successful vacation :D

Now...if you want to discuss other issues, such as children in the Solarium...LOL!...(the two sisters I witnessed "leg wrestling" and squealing on deck chairs right in front of me....grrrr....).......

cruiselover0123: I have twin boys (now 14 yrs), we have been taking them cruising since they were 5. I bought them black suits at Walmart for $24.00. They also sell shirt/vest with matching pants for under $20.00 I also shop at the local Thrift stores (kids really don't need to know where you get them from) I have found a really nice suit for $7.00! Since they don't wear them very much and they outgrow them quickly, no need to spend alot of $$. Also, you don't have to be so formal either, kids can just wear a polo shirt or button up shirt and pants for dinners. :)

...and I knew that's what someone would say :) Since no one can see what my DH or DS is wearing under the table...but everyone can see the Budweiser t-shirt and dirty ball cap, I think we're doing ok. If and when RCI decides to enforce the rules for EVERYONE, then I will be happy to oblige. There were many men in the MDR with dress shorts and nice shirts after that first formal night, and they all looked 100 times better then the schlubs who continuously showed up dirty, disheveled, like they just rolled in from tailgating. I saw bare legs on men (gasp!) for all of...what?...a minute on either side of dinner as they walked in and out of the MDR? And that was only if I chose to scrutinize what everyone was wearing...which by the way, I did not.

If the worst thing that happens to you on your cruise is that you see men in the MDR wearing shorts...then I would say you had a very successful vacation :D

Now...if you want to discuss other issues, such as children in the Solarium...LOL!...(the two sisters I witnessed "leg wrestling" and squealing on deck chairs right in front of me....grrrr....).......

If your mother is like every other mother on EARTH, you grew up hearing:

"Two wrongs don't make a right."

:rolleyes:

I have 2 teen sons, 17 and 15. I am doing the 2 pairs of slacks for casual/smart casual dinners. They both have a suit and tie for formal night. I am sure kids can get away with not wearing a suit on formal night... however I am putting my mama foot down with this one. They will be dressed like proper young gentlemen at least once on my vacation or they don't eat. When they pay for their own cruise.. they can wear what they want LOL

Its not often I can get my 2 teenagers to dress up =(

I look forward to seeing them all sharp looking ...even if its only because they are starving :D

It is also a good lesson to teach kids. Dressing correctly for what the occasion calls for is a lesson in good manners and decorum. The compass clearly states formal as that is what the cruise folks want. Can you eat in shorts and a tshirt on formal night? I am sure there are those that do but I prefer teaching my kids that when invited anywhere or asked to dress in a certain way its good manners to do so. :D

Does that mean any parent that doesn't dress their kid up on formal night a bad parent? NOPE, not at all. Its a pet peeve manner thing in my family and with my kids. I am not raising every kid on the ship so am only worried about what mine wear and don't bother at being a clothing police for the rest of the guest ;)

I also want to add that I do not pack "nice" walking shorts at all for my boys or hubby. I see no point and they are wasted space in our luggage.

If your a smart shopper, this is easily done. I buy swim trunks in solid colors or with a sporty stripe down the side. I do not buy those loud silly swim trunks. I buy a pair for each day. If you shop sales JC Penney's usually have them for 12-15 bucks.

Swim trunks and active wear sport shorts look exactly the same. The trunks are light, don't wrinkle, dry super fast and are comfortable. They can jump in and out of the pool for a quick 5 minute swim, work out in the gym or any of that other fun day stuff. Add a matching nice t shirt and they are ready for the windjammer for lunch. All 3 of the guys in my family love this! They get to be beach bums all day long. It fits right in the middle of the day wear on the cruises we have been on... meaning there are some dressed nicer and a whole lot dressed worse then my guys :rolleyes:

Sure they will in the Windjammer.

And in the MDR. I have worn shorts in the MDR on almost all my cruises, and I am NEVER the only one. I know people say, they have seen others turned away for wearing shorts, I have not and I've been on a few cruises. The only time anyone ever said anything about shorts was when we cruised on NCL and it was another passenger, who said "I thought you weren't allowed to wear shorts" to which I replied "I think you should worry about yourself" As for dining in the WJ, if the service was the same, No problem but it isn't so I will keep wearing shorts to the MDR and telling people they can do so as well.

Just BAN KIDS from the MDR problem solved lol:D:rolleyes:

True, they don't even want to be there anyway :) Just kidding, I have four kids and of course we will ALL be in the dining room - was funny though :)

I have 2 teen sons, 17 and 15. I am doing the 2 pairs of slacks for casual/smart casual dinners. They both have a suit and tie for formal night. I am sure kids can get away with not wearing a suit on formal night... however I am putting my mama foot down with this one. They will be dressed like proper young gentlemen at least once on my vacation or they don't eat. When they pay for their own cruise.. they can wear what they want LOL

Its not often I can get my 2 teenagers to dress up =(

I look forward to seeing them all sharp looking ...even if its only because they are starving :D

It is also a good lesson to teach kids. Dressing correctly for what the occasion calls for is a lesson in good manners and decorum. The compass clearly states formal as that is what the cruise folks want. Can you eat in shorts and a tshirt on formal night? I am sure there are those that do but I prefer teaching my kids that when invited anywhere or asked to dress in a certain way its good manners to do so. :D

Does that mean any parent that doesn't dress their kid up on formal night a bad parent? NOPE, not at all. Its a pet peeve manner thing in my family and with my kids. I am not raising every kid on the ship so am only worried about what mine wear and don't bother at being a clothing police for the rest of the guest ;)

Nicely said! It is not hard to have then dressed appropriately it just takes a bit of planning and letting them know who the parent is :D

For me anyone can wear what ever makes them comfortable anywhere, and it will not bother me in the slightest.

Our two boys love to wear their suits and bow ties for formal night, chinos and a shirt (no tie) for semi formal and chinos and a polo shirt for casual. However they might opt to stay as they are and eat in Windjammer! We might join them, on the other hand we might not. If we have at least one meal together each day I am OK with that, but our usual hit rate is two!

Archived