Nice shorts ok for boys in MDR?

We took a cruise sponsored by NASCAR, and the ship was loaded with NASCAR fans. Guess what? I never saw anyone in the MDR who wasn't dressed according to the guidelines. Most would have been considered over dressed by many posting here.

Tell that to dmwnc. I didn't say anything about their dressing habits.

What I said was "dressed in the MDR as if they just came from a NASCAR race". I said nothing about how real NASCAR fans actually dress when called to the main dining room for dinner aboard a cruise ship.

Interesting how those of you who say "ignore the rules, 'nice shorts' would be fine" and "it doesn't matter to me in the least what other people wear" are simply either wanting to still have a dress code (albeit a more relaxed one) or you want NO dress code at all (which is asking for all kinds of problems).

If you DO want a dresscode, what is it supposed to be? Only "nice shorts" allowed? Do you really want someone standing at the door saying "those are nice shorts, go ahead and be seated...those are not 'nice shorts', go back to your cabin and change"?

How ridiculous!

So where do you draw the line? If you want a line drawn, then you are still in favor of a dress code, just a different one than is currently used.

On the other hand, if you truly don't care what others wear, then you should have no problem with men prancing around in speedos and women in bikinis and flip-flops. Is that what you want?

So, which is it? You DO want a dress code (just your own personal version of one) or do you want NO dress code (and anything goes)?

If you do want a dress code, how is yours any better than the current one? And if you don't want a dress code, do you really think that would be better?

Very well said. I've seen numerous posts on here saying, "You can wear whatever you want, as long as you don't wear xyz." :rolleyes:

And I love what you said about the shorts police! :D

Absolutely for boys of that age on casual nights. Older than 12 probably not.
Interesting....so a 10 year old boy is ok with shorts but a 12 year boy is not??? Should they start checking cruise cards at the MDR entrance for the kids ages? No where is it written that boys under the age of 12 are allowed to wear shorts for dinner in the dining room.

Interesting how those of you who say "ignore the rules, 'nice shorts' would be fine" and "it doesn't matter to me in the least what other people wear" are simply either wanting to still have a dress code (albeit a more relaxed one) or you want NO dress code at all (which is asking for all kinds of problems).

If you DO want a dresscode, what is it supposed to be? Only "nice shorts" allowed? Do you really want someone standing at the door saying "those are nice shorts, go ahead and be seated...those are not 'nice shorts', go back to your cabin and change"?

How ridiculous!

So where do you draw the line? If you want a line drawn, then you are still in favor of a dress code, just a different one than is currently used.

On the other hand, if you truly don't care what others wear, then you should have no problem with men prancing around in speedos and women in bikinis and flip-flops. Is that what you want?

So, which is it? You DO want a dress code (just your own personal version of one) or do you want NO dress code (and anything goes)?

If you do want a dress code, how is yours any better than the current one? And if you don't want a dress code, do you really think that would be better?

I want NO dress code. I want people to be allowed to make their own decisions about what to wear. Period.

i think the fashion police should all get off their high horses,

we are talking about what children wear now:(

And because they are 'children' makes them lesser people than the rest of us when it comes to following dress guidelines? Kids can dress nicely and look even more cute and adorable than if they showed up for dinner as if the parents just didn't care.

My 7 year old son has cruised since he was just under 1 year old and other than when he was a baby, he has worn khaki or navy pants on casual nights with a short sleeve button down or a polo and a suit on formal nights. It's a great way to accustom a child to the idea that some times in life you have to dress for the occasion. We recently went shopping for a wedding as he has outgrown last fall's suit and my 7 year old put together a very nice dress pant, vest, dress shirt and tie outfit with his own eye and is proud that he'll be wearing it.

So I personally would make the space to pack a pair of khakis for your boys.

And because they are 'children' makes them lesser people than the rest of us when it comes to following dress guidelines? Kids can dress nicely and look even more cute and adorable than if they showed up for dinner as if the parents just didn't care.

i am a parent and grandparent and i care,

my 8yr old grandson looks so good in a nice pair of shorts and shirt and i would be proud to take him anywere,he is not a lesser 'person' he is a paying passenger on a 'family cruise line' .:(

my 8yr old grandson looks so good in a nice pair of shorts and shirt and i would be proud to take him anywere,he is not a lesser 'person' he is a paying passenger on a 'family cruise line' .:(

Technically the kid is not the 'paying' passenger. The parents are. And even as a 'family cruise line' there are still dress guidelines. It's not summer camp or a local amusement park. It's a formal dining room. And there's always the Lido restaurant...;)

In the Compass they specifically request that no shorts be worn in the dining room.

Bring one or two pairs of khaki pants and have your boys wear them throughout the week.

Yes, you will see shorts in the dining room. Is it a big deal? Well, it doesn't affect my dining experience, but I think it's rude to disregard such a simple request from the cruise line.

Whatever you decide to do - have fun!

who do you think you are?

'dress guidelines' you said it. summer camp it is not, i bet you are someone who pushes people out of the way in your shiny (backside) tux just to get a photo with the captain on formal night,and yes there is always the windjammer restaraunt,and i would sooner eat in there than meet self important people like you:)

Actually your assumption couldn't be more wrong. I don't own a tuxedo, have never attended past guest Captains receptions, and on my last 10-nt B2B cruise ate in the Lido Buffet the last five nights because I either didn't feel like dressing per the guidelines or skipped formal night all together. And after 45 cruises on every mass market line there has, over the last decade alone, been a steady decrease in the cruise lines enforcement of their own dress policies and admit people who look like they just got through gardening in the back yard. But hey, go ahead and follow the 'it's all about me' crowd and ignore what the cruise lines have repeatedly requested, and that is NO SHORTS.

If he is a paying passenger he should be following the same guidelines as the rest. It actually states in the guidelines they apply to all.

My 7 year old son has cruised since he was just under 1 year old and other than when he was a baby, he has worn khaki or navy pants on casual nights with a short sleeve button down or a polo and a suit on formal nights. It's a great way to accustom a child to the idea that some times in life you have to dress for the occasion. We recently went shopping for a wedding as he has outgrown last fall's suit and my 7 year old put together a very nice dress pant, vest, dress shirt and tie outfit with his own eye and is proud that he'll be wearing it.

So I personally would make the space to pack a pair of khakis for your boys.

Life isn't a weekend at Disney. Not going to hurt the young men (nor many of us older men for that matter) to dress a little better than shorts, but I certainly they can be comfortable doing it.

In the end, you'll use your own good judgement.

Have a fun cruise!

Actually your assumption couldn't be more wrong. I don't own a tuxedo, have never attended past guest Captains receptions, and on my last 10-nt B2B cruise ate in the Lido Buffet the last five nights because I either didn't feel like dressing per the guidelines or skipped formal night all together. And after 45 cruises on every mass market line there has, over the last decade alone, been a steady decrease in the cruise lines enforcement of their own dress policies and admit people who look like they just got through gardening in the back yard. But hey, go ahead and follow the 'it's all about me' crowd and ignore what the cruise lines have repeatedly requested, and that is NO SHORTS.

There's been a steady decline in our society in manners, courtesy, respect for others, self-pride, and all the rest of those sort of qualities. Stands to reason, cruise lines are not inclined to try enforcing dress codes. The worst offenders know the way they look and have made that choice. For a cruise staff person to address his/her appearance with them is often just what they are looking for..... an argument. Cruise lines are not in the business of arguing with their guests.

(yes, I am aware not all fall into my description above, but there are plenty that do.)

IMO

Why not make ths an opportunity to teach the boys some ettiquite? We don't get the chance to take our kids out anywhere nice and dress up that often. Some kids never get to wear a suit except weeeinds and funerals these days.

I would make them dress up, have them pull out mom's chair, open the door for mom, and let them order their own meal from the waiter, have them use the correct utensils, elbows off the table, napkins in laps, wait for everyone at the table to be served before they begin eating...

It will be a great chance for them to see how to behave like a respectable man, so when they are dating, even when they are adults and entertain business clients ...

Ancd don't you think they'll feel bad whn they see all the other cute little kids in their nice clothes? They even do a formal dressed party for the teens on some ships, not sure if your 12 yr old will be doing this? or if rci offers it

Plus, It's frigid in the MDR. Who would want to wear shorts anyway? They'll freeze to death.

Just take 1 pair of pants and have them change their shirt every night.

Why not make ths an opportunity to teach the boys some ettiquite? We don't get the chance to take our kids out anywhere nice and dress up that often. Some kids never get to wear a suit except weeeinds and funerals these days.

I would make them dress up, have them pull out mom's chair, open the door for mom, and let them order their own meal from the waiter, have them use the correct utensils, elbows off the table, napkins in laps, wait for everyone at the table to be served before they begin eating...

It will be a great chance for them to see how to behave like a respectable man, so when they are dating, even when they are adults and entertain business clients ...

Ancd don't you think they'll feel bad whn they see all the other cute little kids in their nice clothes? They even do a formal dressed party for the teens on some ships, not sure if your 12 yr old will be doing this? or if rci offers it

Plus, It's frigid in the MDR. Who would want to wear shorts anyway? They'll freeze to death.

Just take 1 pair of pants and have them change their shirt every night.

Great post IMO :)

Why waste such a wonderful teaching opportunity?

We cruise Carnival, so I realize that is totally different (and yes, nice shorts are acceptable in the MDR on Carnival's casual nights). However, my boys often wear pants or nice jeans mainly because it can be so cold in there!

I'm showing my age here, but I remember when short pants were the norm for young boys (Up to about age 7 or 8). Boys' summer suits came with short pants, and boys wore dress shorts, short sleeved shirts, and a tie for church and special occasions in summer.

To the OP...

We JUST got back TODAY. Our Spring Break cruise out of Galveston was FILLED with families and packed. And the entire ship was pretty much Texas...overall, I believe that the cruise went to a more casual attire, at least according to my parents who are more experienced cruisers.

In the MDR I noticed several young boys in shorts and collared shirts of various styles (polos and button downs).

However, I will say that everyday the Cruise Compass stated clearly that short pants were not allowed in the MDR. I believe that because of the circumstances of our cruise (please note that the ship had passengers in excess of 3600 on board and if you google the max capacity of the Mariner, it is supposed to be 3114:eek:), the greeters at the MDR were happy just getting everyone to sanitize their hands on the way into dinner. :rolleyes:

For our family, my DS11 (5th grade) has no issues dressing up for dinner. Whether or not everyone considers the MDR fine dining, the experience is what you make of it. Our wait staff treated us like we were in fine dining; it felt very appropriate to us to dress like we were eating special dinners.

I packed two pairs of "school uniform like pants:" 1. Navy 2. Khaki/Brown. My DS also wore a suit and he wore the suit pants for an extra evening (Black). On Formal night, DS wore his suit, a long-sleeved button down shirt and tie. Other nights, he wore either a polo shirt or a short-sleeved button down and one of the other pants. EVERY night, he wore classic Adidas sneakers in black with the white stripes. (YES, even for formal night...it's a style for the younger men and it's comfortable and more affordable (especially for the young men that JUST started wearing men's sized shoes.))

Everyone here can only state what their personal experience is. I understand that the website can be interpreted as "vague" but the on board literature is clear, and because of this, I would advise you to be prepared with long pants for your boys.

Oh my. I came back to check on this post and had no idea it would have so many comments. I am not even going to attempt to address all of the comments.

Thank you to those that were helpful with their answer to my question.

I was just trying to get an idea of RCL since as I said, we have not cruised on them in years. My kids have plenty of khakis and appropriate attire for formal nights. I will pack a couple of pairs and have them change after dinner.

I will just have to use a larger suitcase so I can still smuggle all of my alcohol:D;)

Too funny. I always looked at cruises with the kids as "teachable" moments...like holidays. Pretty soon I didn't need to "tell" them how to get dressed for holiday meals, dining rooms on ships, "nice" restaurants. That the short forks are for salad and the seafood forks are different, about butter knives and plate removal. They also learned how to tie a tie. All things they will use when they are adults. I hear some business colleges have classes to teach kids that didn't have those teachable moments and don't have a clue. So I look at this way, teaching them on a cruise and at home is free.

Archived