Linking Credit Card to DD's sea pass card?

coast2coast

First time cruising on Princess in just a couple of weeks. Went to go print out boarding passes, and it wouldn't let me print out DD's unless I linked my credit card to my daughter's account.

This confused me as I've never had to do this on previous RCI sailings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming my credit card will be linked to my "sea pass" card (or whatever it's called on Princess). This card lets me into my room, and I can also swipe it to get drinks, buy things on the ship, etc., correct?

If this is true, why does my daughter's sea pass card need to be hooked up to any money whatsoever? She'll either be with me or dear hubby if she ever wants/needs to buy something.

Called Princess today and was told there's no way around this? I just always felt more comfortable when I knew I didn't have to worry about DD's card getting lost/misplaced/stolen because there wasn't any $$$ attached to it.

Any idea why Princess has this requirement? :confused:

First time cruising on Princess in just a couple of weeks. Went to go print out boarding passes, and it wouldn't let me print out DD's unless I linked my credit card to my daughter's account.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming my credit card will be linked to my "sea pass" card (or whatever it's called on Princess). This card lets me into my room, and I can also swipe it to get drinks, buy things on the ship, etc., correct?

If this is true, why does my daughter's sea pass card need to be hooked up to any money whatsoever? She'll either be with me or dear hubby if she ever wants/needs to buy something.

Called Princess today and was told there's no way around this? I just always felt more comfortable when I knew I didn't have to worry about DD's card getting lost/misplaced/stolen because there wasn't any $$$ attached to it.

you can put your credit card details in to print off your DD boarding pass and when you check in if your daughter is going to pay cash just tell the staff and she wont be on your card.....any problems once onboard see the purser and they will fix it up

They just have to show someone is responsible if anything is charged to her card.

That's the part that confused me... if it's not linked to my credit card, how can anything be charged to it?

Glad to know it sounds as if I can arrange not to have anything charged on her card once I get to the pier. Just couldn't figure out why they made me include the cc info in the first place.

DD was always charged gratuity on other cruises... cruise line just knew to charge my card instead... the technology is out there to do this... just couldn't figure out why they'd want a child to have access to a sea pass card that was linked to a credit card... :confused:

:confused:

Put in the credit card details. Print boarding pass. Remove credit card details.

Put in the credit card details. Print boarding pass. Remove credit card details.

This will not work. You must provide a credit card or cash deposit for every passenger at check in. They each get their own account. You can set it at the front desk to not allow charges on a specific person's card but it will add the optional daily tips. Tips can be adjusted at the end of the cruise.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to allow limited charging privileges for teens on Princess? I would like my boys to have some independence on our cruise but don't want to allow them free reign with my credit card :eek:

I don't know about Princess, but when our kids were teens, we laid out the rules: you may spend up to $___ a day, if you want to buy something that costs more than that, come find me and we'll discuss it; I will be checking the statement daily and you will lose the privilege if you go over the limit and be expected to pay it back. My kids were very trustworthy and we never had a problem. You will have to determine if they can handle that responsibility.

On our first cruise my son booked a cabin on the same cruise and went along. He linked HIS credit card to our room and paid for everything but the cruise. Now that's the way to do it! :D

On our first cruise my son booked a cabin on the same cruise and went along. He linked HIS credit card to our room and paid for everything but the cruise. Now that's the way to do it! :D

That is wonderful, but OP explained in later post in thread that her DD is a child (and I suspect doesn't have a credit card).

It is true. What Princess is telling you is correct. It really isn't a big issue.You must hook her account to either to your account or your husband's account. There is a place when completing the immigration to do this. You must do it to get your boarding passes.

For each individual you must go into the Cruise Personalizer and fully complete the immigration information. In order to print each boarding pass each person must also enter their credit or debit card information. Make certain you print the boarding passes and bring them with you to the pier. Each individual person will have their own on board account. This includes your daughter. There is an option in the Personalizer to assign charges to another's credit card. If it is you, your spouse and your daughter, each will get a portfolio detailing charges. Your daughter will have charges even if she doesn't spend on the ship. Her charges will be her daily hotel charge(tip), $11.50/day or $12.00 for a mini or full suite. At the end of the voyage all the charges and on board credits will be summed and a single charge will be made to the credit card you selected.

To prevent your daughter from using here room card for charges you can exchange your daughters "live" room card for a room key/ship access card once on board. See the customer service desk.

By the way, once on board you can settle the accounts all in cash if you like.

This is a great question and I hope someone with personal experience chimes in. I will be in this situation in a few months. Took kids before but can't remember.

If I do remember you can either stop the charges when you are boarding or limited it to a certain $$ amount per day.

Again hope someone will have definitive answer, if not I might call princess for the answer.

You clearly raised him right! Congratulations, that's a hard thing to do these days.

Please post your son's cruise schedule so everyone on Cruise Critic can adopt him whenever he's on the same cruise as us...

This will not work. You must provide a credit card or cash deposit for every passenger at check in.

The original poster's issue was that she couldn't print boarding passes.

This DOES solve the problem.

When she gets to the ship, she can have her daughter's card set

to not have charging privilege.

There are some other ways around this, too -- but it would be

counter-productive to post them here.

At least princess has fixed their system -- it used to say "Complete", and still

not let you print boarding passes if you hadn't entered cc info.

Archived