How can we help Princess save or make money?

Dena

One thing I would love to see that would save tons of weight and even give more room in the closet would be to get those Joy Mangano Huggable Hangers. My clothes constantly fall off those big bulky wooden hangers, not to mention the fact that they bang around in rough seas. :D

I have no complaints Princess we are happy. You run your cruise line I'll book when I want to go and which cabin I want to stay in as we have done since 1991.

But sorry we cant go for longer 10 maybe 14 days. Dog won't allow it.

Yup, if they don't provide a product I like at a price that I'm willing to pay, I'll go somewhere else. Princess is profitable. It's not my job to make them more profitable. If I were to spend one dime on any Princess excursions, all I would be doing is driving up their earnings per share. The cruise price and amenities aren't a function of how much we spend on board. They are functions of an optimal formula that they carefully measure.

I'm so glad that someone else gets it! Frankly it's a little disturbing that customers feel the obligation to think of ways to increase the profitability of a large corporation. Are people really that brainwashed? Last I checked Carnival Corp. was an extremely successful and profitable company, and I think they will survive without their customers being charged with thinking of ways to further degrade the product. Personally I would rather put my resources into thinking of ways to increase my personal wealth so I can continue to take cruises.

Fuel prices are a concern for almost every industry. The cruise industry is lucky as their fuel costs are relatively low compared to say the airline and trucking industry. Cruise ships use the lowest grade oil called "bunker C". It's basically the sludge that is left over after the refining process, and it's also about the cheapest grade oil you can buy. It could be much worse if ship engines used the same grade as jet engines. Also the cruise industry benefits (and us as consumers in the way of lower cruise fares) from paying virtually no US taxes as the companies are incorporated overseas, and the ships fly a FOC (flag of convenience). There is also the very low cost of labor by hiring foreign workers at next to nothing and having customers pay their wages in the way of automatic gratuities.

Anyway my point is that overall the cruise industry is quite profitable and already enjoys a lot of breaks. I don't feel the need to provide them with additional ideas of how to further degrade the product ... which even if they do I doubt we would see lower cruise prices, just higher profits for the company.

Ernie

You're right - I wasn't even thinking of cost - but it has remained relatively stable over the years.

Used to have one dining room and set meal times for breakfast, lunch and dinner - now you have many different places to eat at the time you prefer. Used to have one entertainment venue - now have many. Used to have one or two pools - now have, except for the new Royal, many. Used to have lousy bed linens - now have pretty nice stuff. Used to have to find a daily news sheet - now have sattelite TV and internet service. Never had international cafes, art galleries. Never had FCCs. Never had coffee, soda or wine "deals." Menus - although they haven't changed recently - used to be much heavier and much less healthy.

Etc.

Getting back to the original post, there seems to be some idea that there's a conspiracy by Princess lowering the quality of their offering to offset the price of fuel. So my solution is to add a fuel surcharge to the price of the fare...then none of us have to figure out how to increase Princess' onboard revenue.

BDJam -- I'm sold. I may not agree that the menus have improved (to my tastes), but otherwise very good and valid points regarding positive changes.

I'm so glad that someone else gets it! Frankly it's a little disturbing that customers feel the obligation to think of ways to increase the profitability of a large corporation. Are people really that brainwashed? Last I checked Carnival Corp. was an extremely successful and profitable company, and I think they will survive without their customers being charged with thinking of ways to further degrade the product. Personally I would rather put my resources into thinking of ways to increase my personal wealth so I can continue to take cruises.

Fuel prices are a concern for almost every industry. The cruise industry is lucky as their fuel costs are relatively low compared to say the airline and trucking industry. Cruise ships use the lowest grade oil called "bunker C". It's basically the sludge that is left over after the refining process, and it's also about the cheapest grade oil you can buy. It could be much worse if ship engines used the same grade as jet engines. Also the cruise industry benefits (and us as consumers in the way of lower cruise fares) from paying virtually no US taxes as the companies are incorporated overseas, and the ships fly a FOC (flag of convenience). There is also the very low cost of labor by hiring foreign workers at next to nothing and having customers pay their wages in the way of automatic gratuities.

Anyway my point is that overall the cruise industry is quite profitable and already enjoys a lot of breaks. I don't feel the need to provide them with additional ideas of how to further degrade the product ... which even if they do I doubt we would see lower cruise prices, just higher profits for the company.

Ernie

OK, so 3 of us now get it. I too find it curious that consumers want to supplement this industry ???

Regarding the fuel, there are some new EPA regs that beginning in August will begin a shift to cleaner fuel in waters within I believe 200 miles of the US and Canada. I believe there are 3 phases, each progressively cleaner between now and 2015 or 2020 (maybe it's a shift at each of those year?). Anyway, it is a hot topic in the industry not only due to what they're saying could be 50-100% increase in price, but also due to lack of availability in several US ports.

Never tried Celebrity - I'm still satisfied with Princess - so I can't give you any recommendations.

We were on Celebrity Millennium (sp?) a few years ago. Nice ship, great crew, and decent food, though not as many dining options. One thing they did have was a dedicated movie theater, which I thought was pretty cool. Nothing really negative to say, but overall we still prefered the Princess experience.

I am convinced that only way to know for sure is to try Celebrity. Have you tried it, Brian? Did you like it? Are there other factors I should be considering?

I think Celebrity is a great product, but certainly not perfect. I'm Elite with them and make no mistake some of the product has been chipped away over the years just like Princess. Personally I rate Celebrity a bit higher than Princess as I think there is a bit more attention to detail overall, and more finesse in the dining room (quality of food and presentation). What I really enjoy about Celebrity is the hardware. I think the ships are awesome and about the most beautiful on the ocean. Where as Princess is somewhat boring in the decor department (think Marriott on the high seas), Celebrity is more daring. The art work is eclectic and the decor is contemporary sophistication. Not something you will find in a Marriott. This is a little thing, but Celebrity also uses higher quality deck chairs and balcony furniture, and there are unlimited towels by the pool. You don't have to worry about checking them out or bringing them back to the cabin. The deck chairs on Princess are still that cheap plastic. As a pool person those things are important to me, but they might be meaningless to you. The other side of the coin is that Princess has about the nicest pool area and largest pools afloat. They also have several different pool areas which is really nice. Now if only they would upgrade their deck chairs and provide better towel service.

At the end of the day Princess and Celebrity are more similar than different, and both are generally mass-market products with ships that carry thousands of passengers. What it really comes down to is personal taste. I enjoy both Princess and Celebrity among other lines, but Celebrity ranks as one of my favorites because of the ships themselves, and the value proposition. I really feel I get my $$$'s worth on a Celebrity cruise. I do on Princess too, but maybe even more so on Celebrity. There is also a bit more of the "wow factor" on Celebrity IMO.

Ernie

Ernie

Well put!

Once again I do not see that it is our place to show Princess, or any other line how to cut costs.

IMO our job is to point out the pitfalls of any new program that is put out. IF these appear pitfalls exist.

john

Princess is quite capable of making money but they could make more if they cut back on the commissions paid to large agencies. In some cases they must be getting at least 25% if they are to allow the discounts they seem to be ablde to get. I still use Princess to book. It just seems for financially sensible for Princess to sell their own product and to not have to pay anyone else anything.

Princess is quite capable of making money but they could make more if they cut back on the commissions paid to large agencies. In some cases they must be getting at least 25% if they are to allow the discounts they seem to be ablde to get. I still use Princess to book. It just seems for financially sensible for Princess to sell their own product and to not have to pay anyone else anything.

You clearly have no understanding of how the travel business works. If Princess did not sell their product through agents, they would have to hire more employees, which means they would pay more in wages and benefits and payroll taxes than they do now in commissions. And just because you're not getting discounts, you want to deny that to everyone else? Wow. Selfish doesn't begin to describe that attitude.

Sorry about that RDSGRL. I was only offering suggestions for this topic. I worked for over twenty years as a travel agent never saw commissions like that. I think many people now book through online bookings so it really won't make much of a difference in employees. Glad to hear through from an expert that Princess pays their reservation people very good salaries.

I find your comment about my being selfish unjustified but I am not going to get into the argument you seem to want to stary.

We were on Celebrity Millennium (sp?) a few years ago. Nice ship, great crew, and decent food, though not as many dining options. One thing they did have was a dedicated movie theater, which I thought was pretty cool. Nothing really negative to say, but overall we still prefered the Princess experience.

Ah - one thing that we've lost at Princess - the dedicated movie theater...was common until the Sun Class ships came along.

Regarding the fuel' date=' there are some new EPA regs that beginning in August will begin a shift to cleaner fuel in waters within I believe 200 miles of the US and Canada. I believe there are 3 phases, each progressively cleaner between now and 2015 or 2020 (maybe it's a shift at each of those year?). Anyway, it is a hot topic in the industry not only due to what they're saying could be 50-100% increase in price, but also due to lack of availability in several US ports.[/quote']

I believe these rules have been in effect for the California coast for a number of years. Ships have had to switch over to cleaner burning fuel within a certain number of miles - perhaps three - from the coast.

I think the best way to help Princess is to buy a cruise and when you are on that cruise act like you are on vacation and treat yourself to all the things you have been missing while working day in, day out. Buy that drink, that Bingo card, that Princess excursion, the tee shirt the tote bag and so on. Buy them because you are feeling good on the ship and want to enjoy it to the max.

You give them money -they give you a good time. Simple business transaction. If they fail to live up to the advertising-then blast them in the onboard surveys and in e mail or by phone-or by choosing another line next time and send Princess an email telling them why you are spending your hard-earned money elsewhere until they return the blue deck mats!

We all have choices when it somes to spending vacation money- so far I am happy to trade dollars for fun with Princess but I wouldn't hesitate to try a different line if the PCL product declined drastically (which I don't forsee as they have survived handsomely this long.)

I was on a Princess ship just two months ago -and it was brilliant. I spent an extra $2400 on top of the cruise fare (which was a steal for what they gave me in return) and I wasn't even in partying mode. So they made some good profit from me which is fine- it's the American way. Me and Princess benefitted.

The Grand has lost it's deck mats (which I like) but it lost Skywalkers and that's the main reason I won't sail on it. The Royal is different (gasp!) but I will still want to sail on it once to see for myself whether it pleaseth me.

As Pam says-Princess is a business-a very successful and profitable one to date-and as such, like the great institutions such as American banks, can make great decisons or bonehead ones (in equal measure).

They are feeling their way through difficult economic times, as are we all, and they stand or fall on their own decisions. They have to fill cabins and get repeat customers from those filled cabins. Then they have to make a financial profit from each customer, day in and out.

If they cut back too much they will find passengers trying another line and will have trouble filling the ships week in and week out.

Competition breeds excellence. We, as passengers, owe Princess nothing-except our feed-back. We can let them know what's good and not-so-good in the way they run things at sea. Comment cards on board, face to face meeting with white uniforms and of course, e mails to Alan.

Where are the towel animals? I've had wonderful days at sea only to return to my cabin to find that my room steward didn't contort my fluffy towels into the shape of an elephant!! I did what any one would do-smashed the TV and tossed it over the balcony! Damn right!

The best thing we can do to help Princess is to sail on their great ships and have the time of our lives or send a wake-up call by trying another line.

For me- I am as happy as a clam (currently) and drooling over the prospect of the Diamond Princess in August.

Norris

I know what you mean. Our bill at the end of cruise in February we spent $261.:eek:

Bill

Give me a break, I just got off a Princess and Celebrity ship. The cruiselines are doing just fine. They know how shake the money out passengers. It is the passengers who need to look out.

Agreed. The waiters on Lido were pushing very hard for us to purchase drinks... As we are booking more cruises, we have less funds to purchase the non-essentials, and during our cruise on the Golden, we have restricted our spending... Maybe one or two drinks a day, no gambling (very hard for me to do!). I was never interested in the Spa or Sanctuary... I will be bringing wine onboard for dinners - $15 versus $25 plus 15% gratuity... We have a Caribe deck balcony on this cruise and we will make the most of it!:D

If I was in a position to spend more, I would... But it is time for us to be frugal... We have the Caribbean cruise and the Transatlantic to pay for after all!

Give me a break, I just got off a Princess and Celebrity ship. The cruiselines are doing just fine. They know how shake the money out passengers. It is the passengers who need to look out.

I have to agree.

Cruising has changed over the past 15 years since I started cruising- from the cruise lines being accommodating, to a point which I call 'Us verses Them'.

john

I have to agree.

Cruising has changed over the past 15 years since I started cruising- from the cruise lines being accommodating, to a point which I call 'Us verses Them'.

john

Kinda makes it sound like a battle, which it really isn't. If you don't want the stuff cruise lines peddle, all you have to do is refuse it. The thing is that if cruise lines don't capture on board revenue, your cruise fare will increase. It may be the same as it was 15 years ago, but it will also cost you more.

Somehow, someone has to pay to get those ships around the globe - I would rather the cruise line strategize options to increase on board revenue and decrease costs rather than to force me to pay more just to get on board.

Kinda makes it sound like a battle, which it really isn't. If you don't want the stuff cruise lines peddle, all you have to do is refuse it. The thing is that if cruise lines don't capture on board revenue, your cruise fare will increase. It may be the same as it was 15 years ago, but it will also cost you more.

Somehow, someone has to pay to get those ships around the globe - I would rather the cruise line strategize options to increase on board revenue and decrease costs rather than to force me to pay more just to get on board.

Very true. However I for one will not pay their high prices once on board. I can book private tours, at a lot less money than Princess requires, thou, one has to be careful when doing this.

In short both Princess and HAL, the lines that I use most, have shown me how, and where to cut back, when at one time there was less need to do so.

john

I would rather the cruise line strategize options to increase on board revenue and decrease costs rather than to force me to pay more just to get on board.

Increasing onboard revenue is fine *provided* that the included options (dining, entertainment, etc) remain quality driven and are not chipped away in order to drive people to the extra revenue options. Decreasing costs are fine too, but again not at the expense of the integrity of the product. I would rather pay a little more in cruise fare if it means the integrity of the product is maintained and not dumbed down to an even greater degree.

I've been sailing on Princess since the 80's when it was a 4-ship fleet. I've seen major changes as Princess used to be a more premium line and now it's strictly mass-market. I still enjoy Princess and the good thing is that I pay far less now than I did 20 years ago. There are not many products you can say that about, but it comes at a price. Princess is not as exclusive or upscale as it used to be. I remember when the dining room was all Italian and they offered table side preparation almost every night. It was truly an event. Now to get that kind of service you have to cruise on Silversea or Seabourn or pay extra for a specialty restaurant. It's all good, I still think Princess is a good line it's just that I just don't want the product chipped away anymore than it has been. This of course is not just the case with Princess, but pretty much all the major lines sailing today. Onboard revenue is the name of the game since cruise prices are so low, but at the end of the day cruising is still an awesome value and so long as the onboard revenue options don't intrude too much on the core cruise product I'm happy. So far I think most all cruise lines have been very good at balancing the onboard revenue options with the core product, and I just hope it stays that way.

Ernie

I've been sailing on Princess since the 80's when it was a 4-ship fleet. I've seen major changes as Princess used to be a more premium line and now it's strictly mass-market. I still enjoy Princess and the good thing is that I pay far less now than I did 20 years ago. There are not many products you can say that about, but it comes at a price. Princess is not as exclusive or upscale as it used to be. I remember when the dining room was all Italian and they offered table side preparation almost every night. It was truly an event. Now to get that kind of service you have to cruise on Silversea or Seabourn or pay extra for a specialty restaurant. It's all good, I still think Princess is a good line it's just that I just don't want the product chipped away anymore than it has been. This of course is not just the case with Princess, but pretty much all the major lines sailing today. Onboard revenue is the name of the game since cruise prices are so low, but at the end of the day cruising is still an awesome value and so long as the onboard revenue options don't intrude too much on the core cruise product I'm happy. So far I think most all cruise lines have been very good at balancing the onboard revenue options with the core product, and I just hope it stays that way.

Ernie

I agree with you Ernie...but I'm still not finding the Princess product "chipped away." I can still get pretty much what I did in the old days for a basic cruise fare. The on-board revenue opportunities that I might take advantage of only enhance the experience (i.e. specialty dining) and there's really nothing that I've experienced that I have to shell out for to have the same cruise experience I've been having for years. And as you say, Princess still delivers a good product. Now if I burn my feet on Grand Princess' mat-less balconies, I might feel different...

In line with what people were saying about the fliers, the photography gallery bothers me. It seems like a lot of paper and ink for the amount that get purchased vs. get thrown away at the end of a cruise. Like Pam said, I am sure TPTB have worked this out so they turn a profit each time, but I wonder if digital kiosks where you could see/order your pictures for printing would make more sense.

Archived