No Escargot on Voyager Last Week

I wonder if I could carry on a bag of my own snails from my garden and get them to prepare them for me - or would I be sent to the "naughty room"?:eek:

Or, maybe I could get my snails classified as "service animals" for my own comfort and to lessen my anxiety. Unlike Ralphie, the little yappy rat dog, my snails wouldn't disturb other passengers. :D

I don't buy the shortage bs, just cost cutting. But escargots are pretty cheap to begin with, its like $3 bucks a can, there's atleast 20ish in a can?

I buy and cook it all the time, its so fast and easy. Add butter and season pouch and escargots, bake.

I don't buy the shortage bs, just cost cutting. But escargots are pretty cheap to begin with, its like $3 bucks a can, there's atleast 20ish in a can?

I buy and cook it all the time, its so fast and easy. Add butter and season pouch and escargots, bake.

If you do a bit of googling you will see its an industry wide problem. The snail farmers aren't near as many now. The French are even worried, let alone supply huge cruise ships on a weekly basis. There just isn't enough of the snails being farmed.

Here is a copy and paste of the basics from a food blogger. You can look up your fav sites as well to read about it.

the popular but pricey, and now, somewhat endangered delicacy, could vanish from upscale European eateries if new supply sources aren’t found. Inventories of snails are falling, due to the ravaged woodland environments where they breed, as well as the reduced profits in producing this luxury food on the very labor-intensive snail farms.

If you do a bit of googling you will see its an industry wide problem. The snail farmers aren't near as many now. The French are even worried, let alone supply huge cruise ships on a weekly basis. There just isn't enough of the snails being farmed.

Here is a copy and paste of the basics from a food blogger. You can look up your fav sites as well to read about it.

the popular but pricey, and now, somewhat endangered delicacy, could vanish from upscale European eateries if new supply sources aren’t found. Inventories of snails are falling, due to the ravaged woodland environments where they breed, as well as the reduced profits in producing this luxury food on the very labor-intensive snail farms.

Where are you seeing this? The only articles I can find are from 2008 and 2009. I don't see any articles about a current shortage.

If this shortage has been going on for 4 years, I would think that Royal would have had to discontinue the escargot a while back.

I wonder if I could carry on a bag of my own snails from my garden and get them to prepare them for me - or would I be sent to the "naughty room"?:eek:

Or, maybe I could get my snails classified as "service animals" for my own comfort and to lessen my anxiety. Unlike Ralphie, the little yappy rat dog, my snails wouldn't disturb other passengers. :D

Service Animals!:eek: Hahahahahahaha!!!!! Good one.... :D

There might be hope....we were on the 3/25 Mariner cruise and escargot was not on the menu. (A similar dish made with tiny bay scallops was subsituted.) We had an opportunity to talk with the Executive Chef one night when we dined in Chops - he was making the rounds of the tables in Chops and asking people how they were enjoying the food on Mariner.

He told us that there is a supply problem, caused by storms or bad weather of some sort at the snail farms. He also said that the bay scallops are actually more expensive than the escargot, so it's not a cost cutting measure, but a supply problem that they hope can be resolved. Maybe he was just telling us what we wanted to hear, but he said they hope to restore escargot to the MDR menu soon. We hope he's right!

The problem with the escagot is that they joined the union and now have rights. If they do not like the sauce they are in, they walk. :D

You guys are killing me here.:p

On the Explorer 3/19/12 they still had escargot.

As I said,

When the supply of snails requires the cruise line to remove them from the menu it results in a windfall for the cruise line.

It's the same as if the cruise line removed them from the menu because they cost too much.

But people would call that a "cost cutting measure".

How about replacing the unavailable snails with a caviar plate?

• 1 month later...
Where are you seeing this? The only articles I can find are from 2008 and 2009. I don't see any articles about a current shortage.

If this shortage has been going on for 4 years, I would think that Royal would have had to discontinue the escargot a while back.

Check again, there are plenty of recent reports that describe the situation. I found them by googling the subject and the articles weren't from three or four years back. They were up to date and it isn't just cruiseships which have encountered a supply problem. Actually it doesn't bother me in the slightest but my DW loves escargot and will definitely miss them if the sources of supply aren't restored before we cruise again.

Archived