No Escargot on Voyager Last Week

Check again, there are plenty of recent reports that describe the situation. I found them by googling the subject and the articles weren't from three or four years back. They were up to date and it isn't just cruiseships which have encountered a supply problem. Actually it doesn't bother me in the slightest but my DW loves escargot and will definitely miss them if the sources of supply aren't restored before we cruise again.
will Google to keep tabs on escargot shortage.

• 1 month later...
I am sure they are going to take it off the menu soon as well if they haven't already done so this week. RC just started this and I am sure the others will follow.

There are just not enough to go around. Even the French are worried.

The snail farmers that are still farming can't handle the demands of cruise lines. "Yes, this is Royal Caribbean. I need 30,000 snails this week per ship. Ok? Thanks!"

Many French doomsday types think this is the end of escargot.

The more optimistic French think once the price is set at a point where farmers can't refuse as the profit will be too great. Supply/demand/high profit margin.

You can look up all of the "World is ending because we don't have snails in France" news articles. I was reading through a few of them last night.

It has nothing to do with cruise lines, ships or Carnival vs RC vs NCL

There will be a cycle and they will be back.

Off MN Sunday. Told that snails no longer available. They were serving Bay Scallops on the snail plates. Not a great app.

Maine lobster was an entree @25pp. Finally, at a price, a new entree on the menu.

R&D

I went to my neighborhood Italian restaurant last night, and when I tried to order my "usual" Scungelli dish, I was told that they haven't been able to get scungelli (snails) for the past two months or so.

So, the shortage is real, and not something the cruiselines are using as an excuse to cover up a cut back.

I went to my neighborhood Italian restaurant last night, and when I tried to order my "usual" Scungelli dish, I was told that they haven't been able to get scungelli (snails) for the past two months or so.

So, the shortage is real, and not something the cruiselines are using as an excuse to cover up a cut back.

Scungilli is conch.

Scungilli is conch.

well, yes, but conch is large snails. I had a whole conversation with the manager of the restaurant about the shortage and how it's all related. I'm just relaying the message.

well, yes, but conch is large snails. I had a whole conversation with the manager of the restaurant about the shortage and how it's all related. I'm just relaying the message.

OK,

I happen to work for one of the importers (suppliers) of snails (amongst other items). There is a worldwide shortage of the little critters and our buyers have no idea when it will end.

Sorry

Steve

Scungilli is conch.
Carol, First one of your post I have seen for a while . Good to see you here.

Still no real answer, looks like the French eat about 40 tons a year. Maybe RCCL could put them in the specialty resturants even if the cost was up a little bit.

Woody

Carol, First one of your post I have seen for a while . Good to see you here.

Still no real answer, looks like the French eat about 40 tons a year. Maybe RCCL could put them in the specialty resturants even if the cost was up a little bit.

Woody

Hey, Woody! Hi to you and Vicki.

Everyone *I* know has 'em in the garden. We could all let RC know about this new potential source of supply.

:D

I can NOT believe the big deal people on here make over S-N-A-I-L-S !!!

Escar-NOUGH already!!!

Call me crazy, but that appetizer dish is one of the major highlights of my cruising experience. They could tell me that all the shows are cancelled, and I would be less concerned than I currently am about potentially missing out on the escargot in my upcoming November and February cruises. I have tried them in numerous restaurants around the US, and none have compared to the one that RCCL served. So, big deal as it is for me, I will be watching this thread closely. :D

Did a bit of Googling, and some info that might, or might not, be new.

First of all, the shortage goes all the way back to 2008, and appears to be due to a lack of snail hunters, not snails. Evidently the hunting is done before dawn, and is best done by crawling on hands and knees on wet ground while searching with a flashlight.

Some of the best snail hunting is in parts of eastern Europe, and as living standards and wages rise in those areas, fewer want to do the gathering for the few cents per snail that they get.

However, a great solution!!!! - it happens that there is a glut this year of lobster (only the "soft shell" catch that needs to be processed). I would love a chunk of lobster in each of those wells under that garlic and butter!

Did a bit of Googling, and some info that might, or might not, be new.

First of all, the shortage goes all the way back to 2008, and appears to be due to a lack of snail hunters, not snails. Evidently the hunting is done before dawn, and is best done by crawling on hands and knees on wet ground while searching with a flashlight.

Some of the best snail hunting is in parts of eastern Europe, and as living standards and wages rise in those areas, fewer want to do the gathering for the few cents per snail that they get.

However, a great solution!!!! - it happens that there is a glut this year of lobster (only the "soft shell" catch that needs to be processed). I would love a chunk of lobster in each of those wells under that garlic and butter!

Great idea, I heard on the news that lobster is cheaper than gas now. I like the escargot and I also liked the substitute scallop dish, even though they were a little smaller than I expected.

Archived