The "new" Celebrity Secrets thread

ghstudio

Thank you for all the posts. I have printed out several - i.e Cafe Al Bacio (didn't realize that most of the 'goodies' were free) and tip on Persian Gardens (half price pass - first day).:D

I have sailed on the Millenium, Equinox and Constellation but did not know about some of these "secrets" -

Keep up the great posts.

Below is a picture on an idea we did to keep that connection with our family and first grandchild when traveling. Grandson number two is due August 1 and for our upcoming Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland, NZ, cruise on the Solstice, again!!, we will bring those family pictures to personalize and warm up our ship home. Sorry about the other "junk" showing, but it's home, right?

Also bring along some extra extension cords in order to plug in the re-chargers and other connections for our laptop, iMusic players, razor, camera battery re-charger, etc., etc. Lots of electronics are a part of families these days!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,362 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As an idea to have a little “bit of home” in your ship room, we brought along some masking tape and pictures of our first and new grandson (at this point, eight months old). Then, as shown below, they are put up on the room wall around the flat-screen TV. Great to have that connection as we traveled in the Med, around Italy, up the Croatian Coast, etc. Also bring some of the yellow “post it” reminder notes to help keep our schedules correct, remember our “to-do’s”, upcoming events, etc.:

I thought that extension cords were a no-no. I understood from someone else who brings one on board that they hide them and only use them at night so they aren't taken away.

Monica

I thought that extension cords were a no-no. I understood from someone else who brings one on board that they hide them and only use them at night so they aren't taken away.

Monica

I take a Belkin mini surge protector which gives me 3 us grounded outlets and two USB ports in a very compact unit. Never had a problem and I always leave it plugged in at the cabin desk.

I thought that extension cords were a no-no. I understood from someone else who brings one on board that they hide them and only use them at night so they aren't taken away. Monica

On all four of my cruises with different lines and companies, I have always taken a short, multi-plug head for use on that desktop area. Never a problem or question. Clearly if you have some of those long, small-wire extension cords that could be a problem for people tripping on, etc. Some of those types of long, thin cords are also bad if you try to plug in a 1500-watt hair blower for use in another part of room. Safety and common sense!!??

I also have a CPAP machine and they will provide an extension cord if needed for that evening hook-up.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 80,362 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here's a little known tip. So much so that even the restaurant staff were unaware of it.

If you buy the restaurant package they offer on the first day, $70 for three restaurants, you also get 25% off of any bottle of wine over $40.

I ordered a $90 bottle of wine in Murano and didn't get the discount. I asked the manager, and he'd never heard of the discount. I went up to my room, and got the flyer and showed it to him.. He credited me the 25%.

Here's a little known tip. So much so that even the restaurant staff were unaware of it.

If you buy the restaurant package they offer on the first day, $70 for three restaurants, you also get 25% off of any bottle of wine over $40.

I ordered a $90 bottle of wine in Murano and didn't get the discount. I asked the manager, and he'd never heard of the discount. I went up to my room, and got the flyer and showed it to him.. He credited me the 25%.

Thanks, this is a great tip.......

g

How much do the transfers (Rome Airport to port) cost? I have a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). Thanks.

It depends on how many people there are. We had a car for just us two, and the senior citizens (yes, we qualify) rate was 80 euros. I think the regular rate was around 90, but not sure (for two). Coming back we shared a car with 4 others and it cost us 56 Euros for the two of us. Both of these are plus tip.

We've used the train before from the port to Rome and we'd do it again, except that this time, coming over, we were arriving on departure day at 10 AM after being up for 48 hours (plus jet lag) and we just knew we'd be too wiped out to deal with the train, even though it isn't hard. We wanted to be sure to make the ship, and were on board by 1 PM.

We used rome in limo last week and it was 150 Euros...no traffic, we made the drive in about 45 minutes.

And yes, our flight to JFK was absolutely full with all the folks being re-routed from the chicago flight.

Ours too!

A little secret I discovered on my recent cruise aboard the Summit.

For those of you who want to save a few valuable calories for dessert, they will make you a turkey burger at the Mast Grill. Takes a bit longer as they have to get them from somewhere, but they are delicious and definitely worth the wait.

A little secret I discovered on my recent cruise aboard the Summit.

For those of you who want to save a few valuable calories for dessert, they will make you a turkey burger at the Mast Grill. Takes a bit longer as they have to get them from somewhere, but they are delicious and definitely worth the wait.

At home that's all we eat is turkey burgers. :D We also use the ground turkey for spaghetti, chili and all dishes that call for ground beef.

Let me begin bat saying no, I can not change our flight due to the fare restriction - loyalty points. My wife and I have a 10:10 flight on Lufthansa out of FCO June 12.

Please advise what is the earliest disembarkation for passengers carrying off their own luggage.

Can you please recommend a reliable taxi/limo company for pre-aerranged pick-up at the port?

Thanks,

Jon

We got off the ship at 6:30 and were at the airport at 7:30. We used Rome cabs. They are great. Cost for 2 was 130 euros plus tip.

Wow...glad I didn't delete my subscription to this thread (seems to have gotten seriously off topic lately!)...this is great! Especially for upcoming 2 week cruise when I'm sure we would like to use this package!

Thanks so much!;)

Is the $70 restaurant package offered on the first day good for any three nights of the cruise or do you need to use it on the first night and then on two other nights? Can it be used at any of the specialty restaurants? Is it offered on all of the ships? We will be on the Sillouhette in July. It seems like it is a good deal.

Is the $70 restaurant package offered on the first day good for any three nights of the cruise or do you need to use it on the first night and then on two other nights? Can it be used at any of the specialty restaurants? Is it offered on all of the ships? We will be on the Sillouhette in July. It seems like it is a good deal.

And do you need to eat in 3 different restaurants or could you use it in one restaurant 3 times?

And do you need to eat in 3 different restaurants or could you use it in one restaurant 3 times?

You must eat in each specialty restaurant once. Remember, three meals at Murano cost a bit more than three meals at Silk Harvest...different prices. If you buy the 5 special meal package, that package tells you which two restaurants you can eat at twice. As I recall, you can only eat at Murano once on either package.

J18ktLeo's answer is incorrect...

You must eat in each specialty restaurant once. Remember, three meals at Murano cost a bit more than three meals at Silk Harvest...different prices. If you buy the 5 special meal package, that package tells you which two restaurants you can eat at twice. As I recall, you can only eat at Murano once on either package.

J18ktLeo's answer is incorrect...

Sorry...but on the Infinity both of the restaurants are the same price...so if you get the 3 restaurant pkg can you choose which one is twice?

I'll start off:

1) On most cruises, if you would like to eat at a specialty restaurant on the first night, ask when you get on board....because they generally offer a discount if you eat there on the first night.

2) If you pre-purchase meals at the specialty restaurants and they offer a discounted package on-board, you can take the discounted package and they will (if you tell them) adjust what you paid with a credit to your on-board account

3) Sign up for internet the day of departure on the ship. In most cases, they will give you an additional 20% minutes on any package bought on the first day. (make sure you ask)

4) For those that are Jewish travelling at Passover, ask guest relations if there will be a special service/meal on your cruise (there will be, but they may not know about it). It is often never announced in the dailies....you just have to ask.

I was just going to post a question about ANY DISCOUNTS for wireless internet minutes when I saw your post. Do they always offer some type of discount on the first day?? Is there any other way to get a discount?? It's so expensive!! Thanks!

I was just going to post a question about ANY DISCOUNTS for wireless internet minutes when I saw your post. Do they always offer some type of discount on the first day?? Is there any other way to get a discount?? It's so expensive!! Thanks!

I was on one cruise where they didn't give the bonus minutes but that was due to a change in personnel and the new manager did not have a clue what he should do....in fact he didn't even show up the first day. Other than that bad experience, I have always received bonus minutes if I signed up on the day we embarked.

Let me begin bat saying no, I can not change our flight due to the fare restriction - loyalty points. My wife and I have a 10:10 flight on Lufthansa out of FCO June 12.

Please advise what is the earliest disembarkation for passengers carrying off their own luggage.

Can you please recommend a reliable taxi/limo company for pre-aerranged pick-up at the port?

Thanks,

Jon

Try airportshuttle.it. They have a rate of 90EU for 2. They are very nice to deal with and you can prepay with a credit card which will get you a better rate most likely.

Archived