The "new" Celebrity Secrets thread

ghstudio

Celebrity is actually running a special on the drink packages right now. 10% off. I believe this does not include the wine packages. You have to purchase the package before June 15th. Check Celebrity's website for details!

I just went to the sale page and it goes through tomorrow, June 22.

Has anyone tried to bring soda/water on Celebrity recently? My husband always brings a 12 pack with him when we sail out of our home port when we have sailed with NCL. He purchased a soda card on our Hawaii trip and felt it tasted watered down and you couldn't get cans with the card. We also like to take off soda/water off the ship with us when we go scuba diving and snorkeling at the of the beaten path beaches where there are no amenities. I had read something on another board that made me question whether we could bring on water/soda. I called Celebrity and was told we could only bring two bottles of wine. Please share your experience with bring soda/ water with you on the ship.

Has anyone tried to bring soda/water on Celebrity recently? ... ... ... was told we could only bring two bottles of wine. Please share your experience with bring soda/ water with you on the ship.

There is a thread on this, please read at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655389

Apparently we can bring bottled water/soda. Yes!

I don't know if these could be considered 'secrets' but didn't notice them mentioned and thought they might be helpful...

~decks of cards are available at guest relations in case you've forgotten to pack any.

~if the riedel wine workshop sounds appealing but the thought of carrying the glasses back home on the plane does not...fear not...X will have your glasses shipped to you for $15 or so.

~you can change US $ for euros at guest relations (transatlantic).

cheers!

I think the rate is whatever Bank of America sets it at the first of the cruise and stays that rate until the end of the cruise. But it seems to me the night before the cruise ends you can't get Euros. Might be wrong can't remember.

I am enjoying this thread & the compiled list..I am only halfway through reading the thread but wanted to post these ideas before I forget them:

At the buffet we ask that they make us ice coffee...they pour reg coffee over ice & it works out great..can also add some ice-cream as well!!!

For cruisers who like the Aspen Coffee (with alcohol), you can request it although it has not been on the menu recently! Or try the Igloo at Cafe Baccio....or a nice pot of Tea Forte...

In addition to the canapes, fruit & other suggestions for snack time, , we sometimes order lite bites from room service--some egg rolls, chicken pieces etc,.,.. they also have some great soups for a light snack...! Just get the orde in before you want then as it may take some time for their arrival...

gee-- I just realized all my secrets relate to food & beverages!!!:D

here's one more we just learned on our recent cruise on Silho :

If you do not like the Celebrity advertising/writing on some of the pictures they take, the photgraphy dept will print it for you without it...no extra charge!!!

here's one more we just learned on our recent cruise on Silho :

If you do not like the Celebrity advertising/writing on some of the pictures they take, the photgraphy dept will print it for you without it...no extra charge!!!

Great tip! I just learned this on our last cruise and didn't think to share. We loved our formal night photo but it was only about 5x7 of the 8x10 photo due to the stuff they had added. We asked if they could redo it without and there was no problem. They charged our card and told us to come by the next evening to pick it up.

We love to have wine in our cabin before dinner, or to bring to the shows. We pack a small box of wine in our suitcase. There are some great varieties out there these days. The box is sturdy, so no fear of bottle breakage. It also creates extra space for packing souvenirs for the trip home.

Hi NorthCarolinaBelle,

Yes, the treats at Cafe Al Bacio are complimentary, even if you do not order a beverage.

Ummm...is this something new? We were on the Equinox April '11 and when I tried getting something I was told they were only complimentary WITH beverage purchase. Back on the Equinox next April, so guess I'll try again :p.

Great tip! I just learned this on our last cruise and didn't think to share. We loved our formal night photo but it was only about 5x7 of the 8x10 photo due to the stuff they had added. We asked if they could redo it without and there was no problem. They charged our card and told us to come by the next evening to pick it up.

We love to have wine in our cabin before dinner, or to bring to the shows. We pack a small box of wine in our suitcase. There are some great varieties out there these days. The box is sturdy, so no fear of bottle breakage. It also creates extra space for packing souvenirs for the trip home.

You can take the box wine instead of a bottle? Did not know this. Do you take it in your carry on or packed luggage? Do you have any problems with it being delivered? This is such a great option instead of a bottle!

Ummm...is this something new? We were on the Equinox April '11 and when I tried getting something I was told they were only complimentary WITH beverage purchase. Back on the Equinox next April, so guess I'll try again :p.

No, not new at all. In fact we were on the Equinox in April 2011 (when Prince WM married Kate) and we had no problem getting the treats without a purchase.

But there was a man who worked there and he was less than friendly (scary actually :eek:) I wonder if it was him? Wouldn't surprise me.:rolleyes: I always tried to have Karen, the Brit wait on me.:)

I assume this is with a fee, correct? 3% like other cruise lines?

The on-board currency conversion fee is set at the same rate that Bank America charges customers....that is, you essentially pay 5% to buy or sell/convert money. If you use an ATM on shore, your credit card company will generally convert at the daily quoted rate and then charge you 3% for the transaction (saving you 2%)...you just have to find an ATM which isn't all that difficult these days in most countries. (Some credit cards/bank cards actually charge nothing...you pay the quoted rate for the currency when the charge hits the clearing house.)

Don't let anyone tell you it's good deal to convert on board because they charge the official bank America fee. You are paying dearly for the convenience...and of course you pay that 5% when you buy euros and then 5% when you convert your unspent euros back to $'s (as an example).

If you are dealing with multiple currencies, they really rake you over the coals....Celebrity first sells you dollars and then sells you the second currency...so you pay 10% to convert from Euros to Egyptian Pounds.

Whoever told you that? They were wrong:eek:.....food has always

been complimentary in there. I was on Equinox last month and

there was never a charge for the goodies in Cafe Al Bacio.

I have never paid anything for the food in that venue. And there

are plenty of times I am not drinking something with it either.

No, not new at all. In fact we were on the Equinox in April 2011 (when Prince WM married Kate) and we had no problem getting the treats without a purchase.

But there was a man who worked there and he was less than friendly (scary actually :eek:) I wonder if it was him? Wouldn't surprise me.:rolleyes: I always tried to have Karen, the Brit wait on me.:)

Don't remember who it was...just that the way they said it was like I committed a major blunder and I was embarrased to go back. I'll try again in April and if they say anything I'll tell them all you nice folks told me I could.:D

The on-board currency conversion fee is set at the same rate that Bank America charges customers....that is, you essentially pay 5% to buy or sell/convert money. If you use an ATM on shore, your credit card company will generally convert at the daily quoted rate and then charge you 3% for the transaction (saving you 2%)...you just have to find an ATM which isn't all that difficult these days in most countries. (Some credit cards/bank cards actually charge nothing...you pay the quoted rate for the currency when the charge hits the clearing house.)

Don't let anyone tell you it's good deal to convert on board because they charge the official bank America fee. You are paying dearly for the convenience...and of course you pay that 5% when you buy euros and then 5% when you convert your unspent euros back to $'s (as an example).

If you are dealing with multiple currencies, they really rake you over the coals....Celebrity first sells you dollars and then sells you the second currency...so you pay 10% to convert from Euros to Egyptian Pounds.

Glad you clarified this. My bank doesn't charge any foreign currency fees nor ATM fees so I've always gotten money out of the ATM in the destination country. I just wanted to make sure that if getting currency onboard is not a good deal, then it's clear to everyone...and if it is, I want in on it! :D

DH bought some really "great" walkie talkies on our family cruise to keep in touch with everyone and they Did not work 90% of the time.. Lucky for him I always pack Post It's to leave messages for kids or family on your door.. ;)

Don't remember who it was...just that the way they said it was like I committed a major blunder and I was embarrased to go back. I'll try again in April and if they say anything I'll tell them all you nice folks told me I could.:D

Good luck!;)

Archived