The "new" Celebrity Secrets thread

ghstudio

Found an excuse to post something and legitimately "bump" this thread to page 1.

I posted a page or so back about AmEx Platinum benefits, but I only talked about a complimentary 2 category upgrade.

Well, we ended up booking a 1A category on a repositioning cruise --a Transatlantic--and don't desire to upgrade (we have 7286, that first larger veranda off the bump), so asked my TA what OBC we get from AmEx in lieu of an upgrade.

We get $100 for the category we booked.

So, to summarize, these are our benefits. I think it's pretty darn good considering the rate is good to start with since it is a 13 day repositioning cruise. Am interested if this is typical of benefits you get from your TA/others when booking. Btw, we get both the TA benefits and the AmEx platinum benefits.

TA benefits:

• $250 OBC or rebate (which ever we prefer)
  • Complimentary dinner for two in one of the ship's specialty restaurants
  • Bottle of premium wine or champagne

AmEx Platinum benefits:

• $100 per stateroom shipboard credit
  • Double Membership Rewards points

Found an excuse to post something and legitimately "bump" this thread to page 1.

I posted a page or so back about AmEx Platinum benefits, but I only talked about a complimentary 2 category upgrade.

Well, we ended up booking a 1A category on a repositioning cruise --a Transatlantic--and don't desire to upgrade (we have 7286, that first larger veranda off the bump), so asked my TA what OBC we get from AmEx in lieu of an upgrade.

So, to summarize, these are our benefits. I think it's pretty darn good considering the rate is good to start with since it is a 13 day repositioning cruise. Am interested if this is typical of benefits you get from your TA/others when booking. Btw, we get both the TA benefits and the AmEx platinum benefits.

TA benefits:

AmEx Platinum benefits:

Wow Mimito4 you really have a gem of a TA.

We are first time cruisers and I can't believe how shocking our TA is. We booked our cruise 18 months ago and received no discounts or offers other than the ones Celebrity were offering in the brochure i.e. on board spend and free car parking at Southampton. The TA left all our personal details in an 'in tray' for 3 weeks and it wasn't until I had to call Celebrity to check if the TA had passed our payment on they realised our details were still in the tray. They informed me that I would receive my travel documents no later than 4 wks prior to sailing and yes you guessed it, I did not receive them either. So yesterday I called in to ask for them and they gave me 6 A4 photocopied sheets of paper, told me that it was my 'Guest Ticket Booklet' and this is how Celebrity send things out now, said that it was a lot of reading and to ring them if I had any questions. I was gobsmacked to say the least.

I now know, after visiting the Celebrity website, that two thirds of the information was missing and the booklet on line does not look anything like the one I was given yesterday. I hasten to add that I shall not be returning to this TA.

So sorry for the rant but if it was not for the great information that everyone has put on Cruise Critic this first timer would be non the wiser, a big thank you to you all.

TA benefits:

AmEx Platinum benefits:

Teresa

You actually got the double points without using an Amex TA?

We've never been able to get that.

We are usually Princess cruisers and have never had a problem getting the OBC, wine or dinner on Princess but I'm finding that Celebrity finds any way they can NOT to give us these benefits.

We've booked a B2B and our agent (who we've used before and I think is good - can't say her name but I think MANY CC people use her) says we can't get the Amex benefits for the first cruise because we booked with a Passages certificate (which we purchased with an Amex card) and we can't get them on the second cruise because it's connected to the first. (I intend to try again for the second !)

Anyone have any ideas of a way to circumvent these restrictions?

I thought the benefits were from Amex, so why does Celebrity put such roadblocks up?

Any help is appreciated.

"... So sorry for the rant but if it was not for the great information that everyone has put on Cruise Critic this first timer would be non the wiser, a big thank you to you all.

Too bad, but you are so right about Cruise Critic and how we all are better and smarter consumers because of posters willing to talk about their experiences and give suggestions.

I do my own travel research for two reasons--one, I love doing it almost as much as I love the trip, and two, I know that no one will look after me and my $ more than moi.

Because of this, I don't take up a lot of a TA's time. I contact them. I tell them what I want. Then I ask them what they will give me in return if I let them have the booking. Most importantly, I tell them to send their offer to me in writing via an email. Once I give them the booking, they basically have 5 minutes of work so I don't feel at all bad about asking them to sharpen their pencil when determining how much they want my booking.

Teresa

You actually got the double points without using an Amex TA?

We've never been able to get that.

We are usually Princess cruisers and have never had a problem getting the OBC, wine or dinner on Princess but I'm finding that Celebrity finds any way they can NOT to give us these benefits.

We've booked a B2B and our agent (who we've used before and I think is good - can't say her name but I think MANY CC people use her) says we can't get the Amex benefits for the first cruise because we booked with a Passages certificate (which we purchased with an Amex card) and we can't get them on the second cruise because it's connected to the first. (I intend to try again for the second !)

Anyone have any ideas of a way to circumvent these restrictions?

I thought the benefits were from Amex, so why does Celebrity put such roadblocks up?

Any help is appreciated.

I have to admit that I don't know yet with certainty about the double points. . .just assuming. I will now follow up on that.

My understanding is that you can't combine Celebrity deals - such as a Passages certificate with a special Captain's Club discount, but as for combining AmEx Platinum benefits with other benefits. . .the only thing I know with certainty is that Platinum benefits can't be combined with a TA's consortium benefits (i.e. Virtuoso, Ensemble). The exception to this in my experience has been Regent--they allow the combination.

In spite of that, my TA throws in her own benefits when I use platinum benefits (additional dinner, wine, etc).

If I were you, I'd certainly expect some satisfactory answers as to why your platinum benefits can't be used in conjunction with a benefit you purchased. If you aren't satisfied with the explanation, you should change TAs ---

My expectations for TA rebates and/or OBC are reasonable and based on the amount of commission I figure they're getting and the time they will have to spend. When I travel Crystal or Regent, I get a minimum of 10% rebate (which is no small sum for those expensive trips) and perhaps some OBC.

When I travel SeaDream, I've learned that their commission is small so my expectations are adjusted. When I travel one of the mass lines such as Celebrity, it still ends up being close to 10%, depending on the total cost and category.

Too bad, but you are so right about Cruise Critic and how we all are better and smarter consumers because of posters willing to talk about their experiences and give suggestions.

I do my own travel research for two reasons--one, I love doing it almost as much as I love the trip, and two, I know that no one will look after me and my $ more than moi.

Because of this, I don't take up a lot of a TA's time. I contact them. I tell them what I want. Then I ask them what they will give me in return if I let them have the booking. Most importantly, I tell them to send their offer to me in writing via an email. Once I give them the booking, they basically have 5 minutes of work so I don't feel at all bad about asking them to sharpen their pencil when determining how much they want my booking.

I have to admit that I don't know yet with certainty about the double points. . .just assuming. I will now follow up on that.

My understanding is that you can't combine Celebrity deals - such as a Passages certificate with a special Captain's Club discount, but as for combining AmEx Platinum benefits with other benefits. . .the only thing I know with certainty is that Platinum benefits can't be combined with a TA's consortium benefits (i.e. Virtuoso, Ensemble). The exception to this in my experience has been Regent--they allow the combination.

In spite of that, my TA throws in her own benefits when I use platinum benefits (additional dinner, wine, etc).

If I were you, I'd certainly expect some satisfactory answers as to why your platinum benefits can't be used in conjunction with a benefit you purchased. If you aren't satisfied with the explanation, you should change TAs ---

My expectations for TA rebates and/or OBC are reasonable and based on the amount of commission I figure they're getting and the time they will have to spend. When I travel Crystal or Regent, I get a minimum of 10% rebate (which is no small sum for those expensive trips) and perhaps some OBC.

When I travel SeaDream, I've learned that their commission is small so my expectations are adjusted. When I travel one of the mass lines such as Celebrity, it still ends up being close to 10%, depending on the total cost and category.

What are "consortium benefits"?

(We have been on Princess cruises from this same TA and were able to use Platinum Rewards on those....)

I do most of my own research also. Just use the TA for price adjustments.

As far as changing agents, my understanding of Celebrity was that I have something like 60 days to do that and then my only option is to cancel (and try to re- book ) the cruise.

We are , as I said, mainly Princess cruisers and Princess has none of these ridiculous "can't combine benefits" rules.

Folks, a friendly reminder:

This is a thread about Celebrity secrets and tips. Please stay on topic. If you want to rant about your TA, please start a new thread. When threads wander all over the place, it's difficult for folks seeking information to find that information. Thanks!

Not ranting about TA - trying to find the Celebrity "secret" to getting the Platinum Amex benefits.

They are. My DH keeps his insulin in them. If you are not sure, you can request a mini fridge for medical use, but there is often so little room in the cabin for one. I can tell you that we have cruised a lot and we have used the coolers for insulin with complete success.

A few little hints, if you'll allow:

We usually freeze a block of "blue ice" to carry the insulin in while we fly to our departure port. I put a label held with clear packing tape on the blue ice with our cabin number and name and ask the cabin steward to put it in their freezer and return it before we debark. That way we have something to put in the insulated bag to keep the medicine cold on the way home.

If the diabetic is on a pump, as my DH is, or uses a pen, they will give you a smaller sharps container to use for finger sticks. If you don't need to dispose of syringes, there's no sense having that big old red bucket taking up space in the cabin.

I've just purchased a special insulin carrier from Magellan's that is supposed to be reusable and activates with cold water. I'm going to give it a try before we leave for San Diego. If it saves us having to explain the block of blue ice to TSA every time, it's worth it.:)

Sorry for the hijack. It just thought it was a good opportunity to share some information.

My husband has been using the reusable carrier for years, and it does work. He also keeps his insulin in the cooler and it is just fine.

You will not be able to get double points if you do not book through Amex TA. The OBC is a great perk, the wine and champagne choices are not as prime as they were a few months ago, and of course a free specialty dinner is a great perk as well.

Everyone who has a Paltinum Amex should know about let their TA know about these additional perks when booking!

I find that these posts are about Celebrity secrets! Ways to save money and go on more trips!

Folks, a friendly reminder:

This is a thread about Celebrity secrets and tips. Please stay on topic. If you want to rant about your TA, please start a new thread. When threads wander all over the place, it's difficult for folks seeking information to find that information. Thanks!

What flavors of the "home made" ice cream does Celebrity make?

Vanilla, choc., strawberry, coffee, mint choc. chip are the ones I remember. Not all available every day. If one is on the dinner menu, it often will be available upstairs the next day -- but often it will run out early at lunch!

Have fun.

Something else to add to the already long list.

If you are not Aqua Class and really want to indulge in the Persian Garden experience, you can buy a half price pass for the cruise on Embarkation Day.

So for a 13 day cruise like we are about to do, that is $75 for the pass.

You get them at the Spa Desk, on sale that one day only. That is $6 day, can't beat that. Steam, Sauna and relax on the heated chairs watching the world go by.

Is there a hot tub in Persian Garden?

We are first time cruisers and I can't believe how shocking our TA is. We booked our cruise 18 months ago and received no discounts or offers other than the ones Celebrity were offering in the brochure i.e. on board spend and free car parking at Southampton. The TA left all our personal details in an 'in tray' for 3 weeks and it wasn't until I had to call Celebrity to check if the TA had passed our payment on they realised our details were still in the tray. They informed me that I would receive my travel documents no later than 4 wks prior to sailing and yes you guessed it, I did not receive them either. So yesterday I called in to ask for them and they gave me 6 A4 photocopied sheets of paper, told me that it was my 'Guest Ticket Booklet' and this is how Celebrity send things out now, said that it was a lot of reading and to ring them if I had any questions. I was gobsmacked to say the least.

I now know, after visiting the Celebrity website, that two thirds of the information was missing and the booklet on line does not look anything like the one I was given yesterday. I hasten to add that I shall not be returning to this TA.

So sorry for the rant but if it was not for the great information that everyone has put on Cruise Critic this first timer would be non the wiser, a big thank you to you all.

I feel for you. On our very first cruise, we used a travel agent because lots of people said it was a good idea for a cruise. They did nothing for us at all. Our experience was exactly as yours was. I felt that in actuality it "hurt" us rather than helped us. Passengers I met on the cruise said how great their agents were but alas ours...not so much. They are a national company that has a local office near us.

On every cruise since the first, I have booked directly with the cruise line via their website. Mostly because I find most of the great info here at Cruise Critic. I really wish it was ok to allow people to list names of agencies because I would LOVE to work with a good one some day so I don't have to do all the work. I'm more than willing to pay for it. :)

Is there a hot tub in Persian Garden?

Summit’s 25,000-square-foot spa is an oasis of aromatherapy steamrooms; rooms for massages, facials, and more esoteric treatments; and a soothing thalassotherapy pool ringed with comfortable lounge chairs under a glass solarium roof. Next door to the spa is a large gym. Farther astern on the same deck, the beautifully designed pool deck offers two pools and four hot tubs, plus lots of comfortable seating nooks. One deck up, the kids’ Fun Factory has a wading pool, indoor and outdoor jungle gyms, a computer room, and more. One deck above that, the Sports Deck has facilities for basketball, volleyball, and paddle tennis.

Found this info, hope it is still correct!

Vanilla, choc., strawberry, coffee, mint choc. chip are the ones I remember. Not all available every day. If one is on the dinner menu, it often will be available upstairs the next day -- but often it will run out early at lunch!

Have fun.

They also had some unusual flavors like blueberry, mango, and others I can't remember! It was fun to taste them all!:p

The new Chase Sapphire preferred card gives double points on ANY travel charged (cruise, plane, hotel, etc). I believe the new Citibank world dividends card also does this. We also find them more widely accepted than the AmEx.

The new Chase Sapphire preferred card gives double points on ANY travel charged (cruise, plane, hotel, etc). I believe the new Citibank world dividends card also does this. We also find them more widely accepted than the AmEx.

This may have been mentioned earlier but the Costco Amex card gives 2% cash back on travel. That may be more than the value of a "point" with Chase or others. Hard to figure out all the "money back/point offers.

They also had some unusual flavors like blueberry, mango, and others I can't remember! It was fun to taste them all!:p

Now I remember that Mr. B. really likes banana. I know there's a cherry one, but I can't remember the exact -- is it black cherry? cherry brandy? There is no paucity of flavors! There's a sugar-free one every day also but I think it's fairly heavily sweetened with one of the "tol" sweeteners that many people don't tolerate too well.

About the ice cream flavors...they also have peanut butter as well as cinnamon ice cream.... one of my favs is a scoop of peanut butter and a scoop of chocolate in a bowl, not a cone. :D

Archived