Do I understand this correctly? Price drops and upgrades

I wish I would have checked out these message boards before booking our trip--what I've learned here could have saved us some money, I think! For our next trip I wanted to check to see if I understand the price drop and upgrade policy.

Let's say I book a cruise--OV rooms are $900 per person, and balcony is $1200. I book an OV room, put down my deposit, but don't pay in full (which I did this time--it doesn't seem like that's the best thing to do). I check a couple weeks later, and now the OV room is $800, and the balcony is $1100. Would I get a refund or OBC for the oceanview room if I call my TA or RCI? If I wanted to upgrade to the balcony room, I could just pay the extra $200 PP, correct?

Am I also correct in that once you've made final payment, you have no options? From what I understand, if I kept the OV cabin I wouldn't be eligible for OBC, but could I still upgrade?

I wish I would have checked out these message boards before booking our trip--what I've learned here could have saved us some money, I think! For our next trip I wanted to check to see if I understand the price drop and upgrade policy.

Let's say I book a cruise--OV rooms are $900 per person, and balcony is $1200. I book an OV room, put down my deposit, but don't pay in full (which I did this time--it doesn't seem like that's the best thing to do). I check a couple weeks later, and now the OV room is $800, and the balcony is $1100. Would I get a refund or OBC for the oceanview room if I call my TA or RCI? If I wanted to upgrade to the balcony room, I could just pay the extra $200 PP, correct?

Am I also correct in that once you've made final payment, you have no options? From what I understand, if I kept the OV cabin I wouldn't be eligible for OBC, but could I still upgrade?

I believe you understand it all correctly other than RCI doesnt give OBC for price drops like that anymore and it really has nothing to do when youve made final payment, its all to do with the actual final payment date (75 days from sail date on a 7 night cruise).

For instance, i paid my cruise in full months before my final payment date and was entitled to any price drops up until February 7th which was my final payment date. After final payment date I could only upgrade.

Any price drops now before your actual final payment date would result in a refund back to the credit card or debit card you booked the cruise with.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong :)

In OP's example, if price of a balcony dropped to $900 or less (the price paid for OV), they would be able to upgrade at no cost, correct???

Yes :) If the price of a balcony dropped to 900.00 you could upgrade free. I dont think they would refund you the difference though if it dropped less than the 900.00. Might be wrong on that.

Even on "new bookings only" sales many have reported being able to upgrade for the new price still.

I believe you understand it all correctly other than RCI doesnt give OBC for price drops like that anymore and it really has nothing to do when youve made final payment, its all to do with the actual final payment date (75 days from sail date on a 7 night cruise).

For instance, i paid my cruise in full months before my final payment date and was entitled to any price drops up until February 7th which was my final payment date. After final payment date I could only upgrade.

Any price drops now before your actual final payment date would result in a refund back to the credit card or debit card you booked the cruise with.

Someone can correct me if Im wrong :)

Thanks for clarifying final payment vs. final payment date. I had read that, but had forgotten.

Yep, I think we might have been able to save a little bit had I known all these rules earlier! Oh, well, next time :)

Make sure you double check the final payment date too. The agency that I booked with requires final payment sooner than RCCL does - which was yesterday for me. I checked my catagory this morning and it went down by $300.00. I just got off the telephone and guess who is getting a credit to their credit card? WooHoo.....................!!

Make sure you double check the final payment date too. The agency that I booked with requires final payment sooner than RCCL does - which was yesterday for me. I checked my catagory this morning and it went down by $300.00. I just got off the telephone and guess who is getting a credit to their credit card? WooHoo.....................!!

The people who control the money are RCCL, and it's THEIR final payment date that determines if a price drop can be honored. It's on their invoice, and you should ask for it. Any TA can get it for you.

The payment date for my next cruise has passed. The price has dropped considerably and I could now get a balcony for less than I've paid for my Ocean View. Went to my TA today who called RCI, and nothing. No upgrade nor OBC. The current prices are only for new bookings :mad::(. Probably wasn't worth booking on board. Maybe I'll start waiting for last minute deals, instead.

The payment date for my next cruise has passed. The price has dropped considerably and I could now get a balcony for less than I've paid for my Ocean View. Went to my TA today who called RCI, and nothing. No upgrade nor OBC. The current prices are only for new bookings :mad::(. Probably wasn't worth booking on board. Maybe I'll start waiting for last minute deals, instead.

They no longer give OBC unfortunately. Were you on a 3 way call with your TA and RCI or did you actually hear the conversation? There have been quiet a few reports here of being able to upgrade even for "new bookings only" sales. I believe i would request a 3 way call with my TA and RCI's Resolutions Dept.

They no longer give OBC unfortunately. Were you on a 3 way call with your TA and RCI or did you actually hear the conversation? There have been quiet a few reports here of being able to upgrade even for "new bookings only" sales. I believe i would request a 3 way call with my TA and RCI's Resolutions Dept.

I heard her side of the conversation as I was sat next to her, but it wasn't on a speakerphone, unfortunately.

If I were you, I would with the travel agent. You might get at least some refund.

Did you call your TA or RCCL directly??

I don't understand the comments about no OBC. We had a price drop on our cruise - I called RCI and got credit applied to two cabins. It was before final payment date - so if that's what folks are talking about, I get it....

It used to be that if the price dropped AFTER final payment, you could get OBC - that is no longer true. But under the current policy if the price drops before final payment, then you can get your credit applied as OBC if that's what you want.

I'm new here but I thought you should be able to upgrade.

Was nothing available to upgrade to?

I would definitely want to hear what RCI was saying. I've heard of some TAs who are less than helpful with price drops because it reduces their commission. I know, many TAs are reputable and honest, but some are not. Unless you are completely confident of your TA, I'd ask for a 3 way call. If they refuse, that also tells you something.

Archived