Can my two kids share the ultimate drink card? Or is this illegal????

imfun888

From Princess:

Unlimited Soda Packages

With our Unlimited Soda Package you’ll never be without your favorite fountain sodas, from Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and Barq’s Root Beer, to nostalgic orange soda, soda water, tonic water and ginger ale. And at $4.50 per day, you can get never-ending refills without breaking the bank! Plus, for just $2.50 a day extra, our Unlimited Soda & More Package allows you as many fountain sodas, refreshing juices, fruity mocktails and creamy ice cream shakes as you can handle.

Last UKP I had it was not for 15 drinks but for unlimited and for one person.

Can they share? It has been done but its not within the rules and is regarded by many as dishonest.

It probably depends on what sort of person one is and whether one would attempt to do it.

If the card has a limited number of drinks, I don't see a problem with it. If it were unlimited, then it becomes more of a no-no in my opinion.

The "card" is not a card. It's a sticker on your room keycard. It does not have a limited number of uses.

It is only intended for the person who has a sticker on his or her card. But.......

On our last cruise I purchased the UKP for one son and the other son just wanted the regular soft drink card he doesn't like mocktails. They were 14 and 17 at the time. I have no idea how the cards were being used but there were no complaints.

Is it illegal? No

Is it dishonest? Yes

If you have the money to purchase a cruise for 2 boys and one drink sticker, purchase another drink sticker.

Just my opinion...........

I agree. We traveled with a family who had three children. They purchased one sticker. Yet they spent $2000 alone for spa treatments and teeth bleaching, plus all of the other extra stuff they purchased. I can’t believe how some can cheap out on the least expensive things.

This couple is just penny wise and pound foolish with everything they do so I really shouldn't have been suprised.

I agree. We traveled with a family who had three children. They purchased one sticker. Yet they spent $2000 alone for spa treatments and teeth bleaching, plus all of the other extra stuff they purchased. I can’t believe how some can cheap out on the least expensive things.

This couple is just penny wise and pound foolish with everything they do so I really shouldn't have been suprised.

I'm waiting for the question about whether its OK to stiff the crew by removing the autotip for the kids..............................should be along anytime now................

We share. One person doesnt drink that many sodas, its only soda from the bar not a can of coke, they make it from a mix and it its cheap.

There is a belief by some folk that Princess actually expect people to share so thats why the cost of the sodasticker is as high as it is.

Don't think I necessarily believe that, its just Princess sticking it to us for all we will pay.

Personally I never buy a soda or sticker so its immaterial to me, except as a stockholder with an eye to the profitability of each cruise.

We share. One person doesnt drink that many sodas, its only soda from the bar not a can of coke, they make it from a mix and it its cheap.

At some point, if Princess decides there is an unacceptable amount of sharing of the unlimited soda cards, they simply will replace those cards with punch cards ... $XX for a specific number of sodas. Now those certainly could be shared by as many family members as desired ... one punch for every beverage.

At some point, if Princess decides there is an unacceptable amount of sharing of the unlimited soda cards, they simply will replace those cards with punch cards ... $XX for a specific number of sodas. Now those certainly could be shared by as many family members as desired ... one punch for every beverage.
Exactly... When people abuse something and are dishonest, there are changes. That's what happened with the former unlimited free Internet for Platinum and Elite: people sharing what they shouldn't and haven't paid for or earned.

Since the sticker is on the card of the person who paid for it, it's clear that's who the sticker is for. No ambiguity. "It's just a soda or two, it won't hurt the cruiseline" implies that it's OK to steal. It'll hurt everyone who buys a soda card or UKP eventually. How much is anyone willing to bet that a soda here, a soda there will eventually cause these options to change to either a punch card or something like what HAL has: a card pre-loaded with an amount and every time you get a soda, the cost is deducted.

Exactly... When people abuse something and are dishonest, there are changes. That's what happened with the former unlimited free Internet for Platinum and Elite: people sharing what they shouldn't and haven't paid for or earned.

I think there is a danger in assuming that Y happened because of X. I'm sure you were told that that was the reason, but I do not believe it. I'm certain it was more a result of a proliferation of smartphones, and the fact that those of us who have one would have been on WiFi 24/7. Technology had moved past the days of the Internet Cafe...WiFi availability coupled with more devices on board mandated the change.

Besides, I would not want to cruise on a line where, because of cheating by a minority, I, as a member of the majority, get penalized. The idea is abhorrent to me. Princess is a business, not a Catholic grade school principal. It changes policies, it raises prices, it has cutbacks because the business model warrants it, and because it can.

I was told by one person at the PSD that the reason Princess does not have statement checking on cabin TVs is because they don't want us to easily know how much we spend on board, because it reduces on board spending. That was his opinion...the fact that he works for Princess does not make it fact. Knowing how Princess operates, I doubt anyone on board, except perhaps the Hotel General Managers, really knows the reasons for changes from shoreside senior management.

When Princess rents all deck chairs by the day because of chair hogs, I will publicly admit I was wrong.

We often see parents getting the one soda for their first child and pouring half of it in another glass for the sibling. I see nothing wrong with that. Especially if younger kids that never finish a full drink.

Teens are a different story and individual stickers is my answer.

I'm waiting for the question about whether its OK to stiff the crew by removing the autotip for the kids..............................should be along anytime now................

So let me answer it before the question. Yes, say some. And I bet there are many who do. Is it right? No. Do they feel it's right? Yes.

I wish people would be just a little gentler in their replies. The OP is pretty new to the boards and has asked a straightforward question about the drink package, obviously not sure if it's unlimited or for a fixed amount or whether it's a card or sticker. The question has been answered and explained but some responses are starting to get a little snarky (e.g., removing the auto-tip). Also the OP started a separate thread asking if shorts are okay on non-formal nights. Again, that question has been asked and answered and now the remarks about hillbillies are starting on that thread. Everybody be nice to the newbies!

I wish people would be just a little gentler in their replies. The OP is pretty new to the boards and has asked a straightforward question about the drink package, obviously not sure if it's unlimited or for a fixed amount or whether it's a card or sticker. The question has been answered and explained but some responses are starting to get a little snarky (e.g., removing the auto-tip). Also the OP started a separate thread asking if shorts are okay on non-formal nights. Again, that question has been asked and answered and now the remarks about hillbillies are starting on that thread. Everybody be nice to the newbies!

I quoted your post because I think it warrants being said twice!!

In fairness to the snarky responders, though, I think sometimes they are responding to what another poster has said rather than to the original poster.

The OP asked a legit question, not knowing whether the coke card was a punch card or if it was unlimited. Being as it's unlimited, sharing is not allowed. Most people don't know these little details unless they ask!

And the price would be cut drastically since they already know a significant number of people do share one sticker.

We spent $1400 on soda stickers and UKP stickers on our cruises. $1400!!! We did not "share" a sticker...ever. That the cost to Princess of the actual beverages we consumed was probably less than $100 was irrelevant. That I had a soda sticker and DH had a UKP sticker was irrelevant. When I wanted occasionally wanted a virgin mojito, I paid for it. That I frequently only drank half of a cup of club soda instead of a full one was irrelevant. That I'm not 5 years old was irrelevant. That the bartender didn't look at the names on our cards, nor did he generally even look at the card after a day or so was irrelevant.

All that matters is that the sticker, by its very application, being stuck on one card is meant to be used by ONE person, the person whose name is on the card.

Anything else is cheating.

And this is directed not at the OP, who was simply asking about whether the soda sticker was for a limited quantity as on some cruise lines, but all those who said they see nothing wrong with using the sticker in any way not intended by Princess.

Morally - I think it is wrong.

Do you take 2 kids to a buffet and pay for 1 and let both of them eat there?

I understand that the OP wasn't aware that the soda "card" is really a sticker and didn't know how it is applied. However, some of the responses by people who know it's a sticker imply that it's fine as long as no one is complaining. I agree with Coral. Even if you go to a restaurant these days and share a meal, there's often a "plate charge" for sharing.

I understand that the OP wasn't aware that the soda "card" is really a sticker and didn't know how it is applied. However, some of the responses by people who know it's a sticker imply that it's fine as long as no one is complaining. I agree with Coral. Even if you go to a restaurant these days and share a meal, there's often a "plate charge" for sharing.

I feel guilty myself - I was more responding to people who said it was "ok to share" as opposed to the OP.

I can see how it is confusing to the OP as there is a coffee card with punches and then there is soda cards that are unlimited.

Apologizes to OP. I should have clarified that I was responding to others who thought it was ok to share (which I do not think it is - even if the drink waitstaff don't say anything when it is obvious what is happening) - the management definitely does not think it is ok to share or they would promote it as a cabin purchase as opposed to individual purchase.

Archived