Mah Jong

Anyone know if they have Mah Jong tiles on Brilliance of the Seas? I'd hate to have to carry a full set to Europe. Thanks.

I've never been on a cruise where they have mah jongg sets. If you want to play, bring your own and good luck finding a game. Don't forget the new card!

I am sure that they do not carry a mah jongg set. As you know, they are quite expensive.

You can actually buy a traveling set, just as there are traveling sets of scrabble and other board games. The tiles are flat pieces of plastic, which feels very odd, but they are functional.

:)

I know Mah Jong sets are standard for Holland America ships, and the asian version of Mah Jong doesn't require a card to complete a hand and Mah Jong is completely different then the iPad version, (it's more like the card game bridge then match the 2 tiles together).

I'll be on the Brilliance of the Seas in about a week. I'll let you know.

I've never been on a cruise where they have mah jongg sets. If you want to play' date=' bring your own and good luck finding a game. Don't forget the new card![/quote']

On the Explorer in December there was a brand new beautiful set in the Concierge Lounge.

• 8 months later...
I am sure that they do not carry a mah jongg set. As you know, they are quite expensive.

You can actually buy a traveling set, just as there are traveling sets of scrabble and other board games. The tiles are flat pieces of plastic, which feels very odd, but they are functional.

Merion Mom! Long time no see! When are you cruisng next? Xmas? Im going on Adventure dec 23. Hoping to find a mah jong game.

There were 2 sets years ago when the Jewel first came to Tampa, but I have not seen one since on any ship.

I bought a deck of Mah Jongg playing cards and tried it with my group last week. It is the same as a tile set – but with playing cards. It was cumbersome to hold all the cards and move them around to select your hand, but after a few games, we got the hang of it. I may take them on my upcoming Freedom cruise. I always have my card but I’ll bring an extra or two. Maybe I can get a game going

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Merion Mom! Long time no see! When are you cruisng next? Xmas? Im going on Adventure dec 23. Hoping to find a mah jong game.

We are on Mariner Dec 23. Would be cool to find a game. I think I'll bring my card, just in case. I play in 3 games in my home town, so would hate to go a week without a game. Might have withdrawls.

If they do have a set I wouldn't count on it being a complete set. Things get lost, don't get put away etc. I would bring your set or find it on a electronic devise.

If you have an iPad there is an app called Four Winds Mahjong. Can't remember how much I paid for it, and it uses 3 artificial players for opponents. If you like the game it is better than nothing.

If you have an iPad there is an app called Four Winds Mahjong. Can't remember how much I paid for it, and it uses 3 artificial players for opponents. If you like the game it is better than nothing.

I had not heard of this one. I know you can play against other players on the mah jongg league website. One of my games plays in a local cafe. You wouldn't believe how many people come up to us and say they know how to play because they play on their computers. Then no, you don't know how to play. Because that is just a simple matching game. :)

Most ships I've been on, when I looked for a set, had a couple, but it's not a bad idea to call RCI and have them check for you. They keep them in the card room on RCI ships. Celebrity keeps their sets at the guest relations desk.

I'll be on Mariner 1/27 and if anyone else here will be, I can bring my set as I'm driving up. Would love to have a game! I have extra cards.

I would hope there would be a set on Brilliance for the TA next 8/31. We have 3 players on the roll call signed up and I'm sure we'll find more. I will call RCI and make sure they have a complete set on Brilliance when we get closer to sailing.

We are on Mariner Dec 23. Would be cool to find a game. I think I'll bring my card' date=' just in case. I play in 3 games in my home town, so would hate to go a week without a game. Might have withdrawls.[/quote']

Please report back if there is a good set on Mariner.

Thanx

Is this your son's first cruise?

Alas, while you are flying to San Juan, I shall be driving to Baltimore. :D

Enchantment, same week.

The only time that I played Mah Jongg on a cruise was on our VERY LONG "round the horn" Mariner cruise.

Enchantment, same week.

The only time that I played Mah Jongg on a cruise was on our VERY LONG "round the horn" Mariner cruise.

I went on a local Hadassah cruise one time and we had a week long game. In fact, several of them. We reserved some tables in the card room.

We were on the Oasis Dec 1 for the Mahongg Madness cruise. The Madness people had their own sets and tables for the tournament. In the game room there were about 5 sets provided by Royal Caribbean. Some ships seem to have set and others do not. However even if there are sets on board you may not be able to make a complete set for NMJL play. The tiles seem to disappear - especially the jokers.

Enchantment, same week.

When I saw you last in Aug 2005 I didnt have any kids. Very soon after (less than a month ;) i was pregnant with Jacob. We took Jacob on a cruise for his first bday. Since then we have been blessed with Adam. This will be Jacob's second cruise and Adam's first. We are very excited.

Love enchantement. Would love to go on that ship for the 3rd time. How are the kids?

We were on the Brilliance in October and I went in the game room to see if there were any jigsaw puzzles. The game selection looked pretty sad. I don't recall seeing a MJ set, but if there was one I doubt if all the pieces are there. None of the boxes were closed and they were just all piled up on top of each other.