New England ages and demeaner

TJEvans72

Can anyone tell me about the proportion of passenger ages on the Princess New England cruises? Is it a very mellow crowd, fun-loving, boisterous?
You rarely see a boisterous crowd on Princess on any cruise. There are lots of people having fun with a variety of activities but it's a more mature atmosphere and less of a "party hearty" one.

Thank you both. What is your experience with entertainment on Princess? Ive heard the shows are great. Is there plenty to choose from in terms of piano, vocal, jazz, etc in the smaller lounges? My favorite cruise activity is live music. Are the choices abundant, or on the slim side?

I would say that the average age on a fall New England sailing would probably be older than the average age on a spring Caribbean sailing just given the fact that the school year is just beinging and parents are less likely to take their children out of school when it has just started up again. Check out the roll calls for those sailings. They can give you a general idea of the type of crowd that will be traveling.

Is there plenty to choose from in terms of piano, vocal, jazz, etc in the smaller lounges? My favorite cruise activity is live music. Are the choices abundant, or on the slim side?

Although it will vary by ship, here are the musical activities one recent evening on the Star Princess.

5:30 pm - 6:30 pm Cocktail melodies with Pianist Antoni in the Piazza

5:30 pm - 5:20 pm Ballroom dance date in Explorers Lounge (recorded music this evening. Some evenings had the show band playing for this.)

7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Arkadia String Quartet in the Piazza

7:30 pm - 8:15 pm Cocktail melodies with Pianist Antoni in the Wheelhouse Bar

7:30 pm Karaoke Power Hour in Explorers Lounge

8:30 pm - 9:15 pm Dance music with the Vintage Band in Explorers Lounge

9:00 pm -12:30 am Piano entertainer Craig Andrews at Crooner

9:00 pm - close Dance favorites with the B'Aires Quartet in Wheelhouse Bar

10:00 pm - 11:00 pm Samba hour with DJ Pedo in Skywalkers

10:15 pm Latin Fiesta party with music by the Vintage Band in Explorers Lounge

11:00 pm onwards All request express with DJ Pedro in Skuwalkers

11:30 pm - 12:30 am Dancing late with the Vintage Band in Explorers Lounge

We were on the Caribbean Princess last Oct. The average age seemed to be 40-50's with older, with older and younger mixed in. There were very few children on the cruise.

The shows were great and the demeanor of the cruise was typical Princess.

I have done 2 Canada NE cruises.

I found the demeanor entirely different than Caribbean cruises. It is more of a destination cruise and very port intensive. So pools are used less (or not at all during the first part of our Crown Princess cruise where it snowed), the ship is more quiet at night as many are going to sleep earlier and spending all day in ports.

The ports are excellent. The average age is higher but there are people in the 40's also. Not too many kids - I think there were 6 on one of the cruises and I only saw 2 of them.

Make sure you bring rain gear.

Well, when we did the 10 day in 07 on the Grand -I was 39 and DH was (a young) 48. We went up to Skywalkers one night and the host was up there all by herlsef, she asked "if we had gotten on the wrong ship" - LOL. Our cruise was definately an older quiter crowd.

That being said, it was an awesome cruise for the ports and scenery. One of our favorites that we plan to re-peat.

Happy Sailing Everybody!

Tammy

We are in our early 50's and the crowd was a bit older than other cruises we have been on. I don't think I saw more than a couple of kids the entire cruise. We did the 10 day out of New York a few years ago and this year we are doing the 10 day out of Quebec. All the shows were great but this itinerary was so port intensive that we were in the cabin by 10 most nights.

We did Canada and New England in late June. There were a ton of kids on board. Most of them well behaved but enough unsupervised brats to make swimming in the pools almost impossible. There was a mixed age group, some families, some 40's and 50's and some seniors

Our only cruise to New England/Canada was in early October. We were among the youngest passengers--41 and 47 at the time. Most of our fellow passengers were over 60. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

We had anytime dining and never had to wait since we went after 8:00 most nights and as late as 9:30 one night.

I think it depends upon when you cruise to Canada/New England. We, a multi-generational family, cruised on the Caribbean Princess last summer and there were many families. My DSs (preteen and teen at that time) made many friends and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, as did my MIL. If you are sailing in the fall, you will probably find fewer children and families. IMHO (and I know there are exceptions, but...) one typically finds a very nice and well-mannered group of people on Princess.

Archived