Icy Straight Point what to do?

PG13

Dh and I are considering taking the Forest and Nature Tram, Spasski River tour or the Hoonah Sightseeing tour. Which would you recommend? We were also thinking of just walking into Hoonah, grab a bite to eat their or back near the pier and walk a few trails. This will be our only west coast trip to Alaska and want to get in as much as possible but not waste our money.

Thanks

Dh and I are considering taking the Forest and Nature Tram, Spasski River tour or the Hoonah Sightseeing tour. Which would you recommend? We were also thinking of just walking into Hoonah, grab a bite to eat their or back near the pier and walk a few trails. This will be our only west coast trip to Alaska and want to get in as much as possible but not waste our money.

Thanks

Budget Queen can surely answer you better, but while I think Hoonah is definitely worth looking at, it's very small and I can't imagine paying for a sightseeing tour there, as I don't know they have any points of interest. We saw the Forest and Nature Tram noisily going around on pretty boring trails that would scare the bear away, so we didn't think that was a good idea either, it seemed like it would be a waste of money. I don't know anything about the Spasski River tour.

I'm assuming you're thinking of doing these things ALONG WITH a whale watch tour?

My hubby and I took the Scenic Tram and Tribal Dance tour in ISP... It was wonderful. The guides where so informative and the Tribal Dance was great. There is even the chance to join the dancers on stage and be part of the show.

A couple of years ago I went out with Phil from Brown Bear Lodge http://brownbearlodge.com/home

We had a great day driving around and saw numerous bears. I see they have finally updated their website so look like they are still around. Kenny was very responsive at the time with his emails and Phil was very entertaing as the driver/guide.

My wife also loved the shopping & found items that were not found elsewhere.

We went in 2007. When we got onshore we were given a company store coin and a piece of cedar to place on the fire. At the fire were town elders who great ambassadors of their village. We did the bear walk and the zip line.

The prices in the store were better than anywhere else. Saw several pieces of art that was at least $20 cheaper than anywhere else. My elk-handled Ulu was $30 cheaper than in Juneau.

There was also a store that supported the local school.

We saw more whales from our ship at Icy Point than some people did on their expensive whale watch trips.

The nature walk is a very relaxing trip around down to the beach. You can also see whales down there. Stop at the ranger's booth before taking the nature trail. The ranger has some very interesting and informative information on the area.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to figure out what to do in Icy Strait as well. DH and I are already doing a whale watching trip in Juneau but would be willing to do another. Anyone have any experiences with Alaska's Wildest Kitchen? Thought about the Zipride but not sure I want to spend that much on a ride. Since it's May it's too early for bear I do believe so a bear watch is out.

I'm a big whale watching fan, so I'd go in every port feasible if it were me:D! Loved whale watching in ISP with Captain Dan of Misty Bay Lodge. Highly recommend! Small 6 passenger boat (just like Harv and Marv in Juneau - who we've also gone whale watching with twice), very personalized experience, comfortable, spacious boat with covered aft deck for being outside in inclement weather, a flying bridge, and roomy interior w/bathroom aboard. Also Capt. Dan and his wife, Hope, are just good folks - very likeable and enthusiastic. We were so fortunate on our trip w/Capt. Dan - saw numerous instances of bubblenet feeding and breaching - literally over and over again. It was our lucky day! There are other independent providers on ISP that offer the small boat option as well, but I haven't personally sailed with them.

After our whale watch w/Misty Bay Lodge, I went on a bear search with them, and again -success - saw two brown bears, one fishing for salmon in a stream and one on a hillside mowing his way thru a blueberry patch. Thrilling to say the least!! Of course, this was in mid-August, not in your time frame.

I know folks who have gone kayaking in ISP and had an enjoyable experience, so that may also be an option for you if you don't feel up to another whale watch.

Hope you have a wonderful time in the Great Land - it is magical.

I'm a big whale watching fan, so I'd go in every port feasible if it were me:D! Loved whale watching in ISP with Captain Dan of Misty Bay Lodge. Highly recommend! Small 6 passenger boat (just like Harv and Marv in Juneau - who we've also gone whale watching with twice), very personalized experience, comfortable, spacious boat with covered aft deck for being outside in inclement weather, a flying bridge, and roomy interior w/bathroom aboard. Also Capt. Dan and his wife, Hope, are just good folks - very likeable and enthusiastic. We were so fortunate on our trip w/Capt. Dan - saw numerous instances of bubblenet feeding and breaching - literally over and over again. It was our lucky day! There are other independent providers on ISP that offer the small boat option as well, but I haven't personally sailed with them.

After our whale watch w/Misty Bay Lodge, I went on a bear search with them, and again -success - saw two brown bears, one fishing for salmon in a stream and one on a hillside mowing his way thru a blueberry patch. Thrilling to say the least!! Of course, this was in mid-August, not in your time frame.

I know folks who have gone kayaking in ISP and had an enjoyable experience, so that may also be an option for you if you don't feel up to another whale watch.

Hope you have a wonderful time in the Great Land - it is magical.

x2. They were wonderful!!

• 2 weeks later...

We stopped in Icy Strait on either Sept 5 or 6th this year.

We took a whale watch from 10am to 1pm with Icy Strait Whale Adventures. We wanted to have a more personal experience so we independently booked a small boat (6 passengers). The price was in the $150 per person range. Captain Coleen guarantees that you will see whales or you get ½ your money back. She was a new vendor this year. The boat was very nice.

She said that the whales stay in Alaska year round unless they are mating or giving birth. In that case, they migrate to Hawaii.:eek:

It was not a very nice day--weather wise. It was very cool and misty they whole time. By the end of our trip we were cold and tired (in a good way) and headed back to the ship for hot soup.

We loved our whale watch. We saw lots of whales (mostly heads and tails as they breeched the surface).

If you get the chance you should try the zipline. I am petrified of heights (cant even get on a step stool without getting dizzy) but bit the bullet and did the zipline with DH when in Dominica and would do it again (as they say a leap of faith every time you stepped off the platform) and there was 13 platforms, each one higher than the one before, but I did it and would do it again. It was a blast.

Bill,

Thanks for the recommendation but I have a fear of heights. I guess that would give you a great view of the area.

• 2 months later...

Archived