Icy Straight Point what to do?

PG13

Help? Where is this? We're tethered? Are we tendering in? What has everyone anyone done there? Royal C offers an awesome looking whale/bear trip but holy crap the price on that is crazy. I need some other kind of fun. What's it like there? City? Thanks, Pat

Well let's try this again... I have attempted twice and it went POOF!!

Icy Strait Point is on the Very North end of the Village of Hoonah(approx 1,000 ppl+/-) a very small village... about the only thing there for tourists... they are rehabbing an old Cannery it has gift shops in it and I think a bar/ cafe... there is a zip line and possibly a native show(don't quote me on that one) in other words NOT MUCH THERE.... the village is a good 2+ mile walk from where the cannery is...and honestly it is a very tiny community. The only way in or out is Air or Boat... the community gets supplies via the State Ferry or air cargo(small plane) so keep that in mind if you make the trip to town that what you buy(food and drink) may actually create a hardship for the community. One thing to think about if you make the walk... if you have books that you have finished take them with you and drop them off at the Harbormasters Office..It is a REAL treat to get new reading material... and for the most part the book will be read until it falls apart!!

You will take a tender in here......

Whale watching is magnificent there! I'd recommend Capt. Dan of Misty Bay Lodge (independent provider). We were fortunate enough to experience numerous instances of bubblenet feeding and breaching when we went with them last August. 100% sightings of humpbacks, just like Juneau. Yes, it can be expensive, but very much worth it. Small 6 passenger boat (though I believe they got a larger boat as well for this season - maybe holding 12?). Bite the bullet and go whale watching in ISP - beautiful, unspoiled Alaskan port. Don't expect the glitzy jewelry stores or touristy stuff - you're not gonna find it here:D. And thats precisely why we LOVED it!

We found a 6 hour whale watch and fishing tour in Juneau that still left us time for Mendenhall, so we are not going whale watching in Icy Straight Point. We are also tendered and only there for 7 hours total. Is it worth us getting off the ship without a tour? I would not mind walking around and taking pictures, but two miles each way would be a lot for me to walk.

I would say it is worth it to get off. You don't have to walk all the way to town. There is a lovely nature trail right in the port area. We really enjoy the quiet natural setting. There is also a place where you can grab a beer or a snack and sit on a bench and watch the whales.

We did walk into town. Certainly didn't seem like 2+ miles. Maybe round trip. We went to The Office. Great bar/restaurant. The people there were amazing to talk to. They loved talking about their heritage and Alaska in general.

ISP is one of our favorite stops as well.

The Icy Strait "compound" is very nice and worth your time for a look. there is an informative museum, tour activities- golf cart ride around, dancers. Also a scenic loop trail that gives an excellent view of your ship.

Highlights are humpback whale watching which is superior with independents, since they usually are out longer. Sightings are 100% This is also the only ground access for brown bear viewing- again superior with an independent, as they have far more range. The cruisetours, take you back and forth to fixed platform viewing, much lower sighting stats.

Eating at the Cookhouse in the compound is superb, they have excellent halibut. The Office Bar in town is renown for the crab. The walk, is flat and extremely scenic. The cruiselines do run shuttle buses, if you can make it one way even.

Thank you for all the great information! We will definitely get on the first available tender and spend time here. We knew after a 6 hour private whale watch with only the 4 of us on the boat that we did not want to book another one, but the bear tour sounds intriguing. I love this site :D. If not looks like we will have plenty to do and lots of pictures to take!

We enjoyed this stop. Didnt book anything. Just got off the ship early and rather than take a bus into the village we walked in along the side of the road/beach. Its about a 1 mile walk..maybe a bit further. Nice scenery to look at plus we saw Eagles etc while strolling along the road.

There was a small cafe/shop that was run by the Chief of Police' wife when we were there. I was trying to convince them to hire me as their 911 operator but to no avail!

Anyway, after the walk in and a coffee we walked back and strolled around the cannery before getting back on board. There is a zipline in the port plus I believe there are walking trails that go the opposite direction to Hoonah.

Nice enjoyable quiet port with no jewellery stores!

Pete

Thanks a lot, I think we'll do a walk on the nature trail and sit on the beach in hopes that whales will wonder by, and a leisurely walk to the village would be relaxing.

Again thanks for your input.

We have been to Icy Straight Point several times.

Whale watching is wonderful here -- whether you book it through the cruise line or privately.

We have also taken the shuttle bus into Hoonah -- cute little place.

There is also a zipline excursion if you are interested in that.

Just a couple of pictures:

Amsterdam_Alaska_2011_082.JPG

Amsterdam_Alaska_2011_084.JPG

The Icy Strait "compound" is very nice and worth your time for a look. there is an informative museum, tour activities- golf cart ride around, dancers. Also a scenic loop trail that gives an excellent view of your ship.

Highlights are humpback whale watching which is superior with independents, since they usually are out longer. Sightings are 100% This is also the only ground access for brown bear viewing- again superior with an independent, as they have far more range. The cruisetours, take you back and forth to fixed platform viewing, much lower sighting stats.

Eating at the Cookhouse in the compound is superb, they have excellent halibut. The Office Bar in town is renown for the crab. The walk, is flat and extremely scenic. The cruiselines do run shuttle buses, if you can make it one way even.

Budget Queen can you tell me more/point me in the right direction for more information on the golf cart ride around town and the bear viewing? We are doing a whale watch in Seward next year and would like to possibly do something different in Icy Strait - although another whale watch tour hasn't been ruled out. We'll be in Icy Strait on July 2, 2013 - not sure how lucky we'll be with bears, but hey it's worth a shot.:)

Budget Queen can you tell me more/point me in the right direction for more information on the golf cart ride around town and the bear viewing? We are doing a whale watch in Seward next year and would like to possibly do something different in Icy Strait - although another whale watch tour hasn't been ruled out. We'll be in Icy Strait on July 2, 2013 - not sure how lucky we'll be with bears, but hey it's worth a shot.:)

the golf cart is a ship excursion, more like a tram actually. :) Should be available from shore excursions, on the shiip or at the dock tour center, turn right.

Seward is not a "whale watch", it is varied wildlife, and my humpback sighting stats has been less than 50% of my trips. But, I've had 100% sightings of the resident orcas on my last 5 trips, taken over the past 2 years.

I recommend Teckk for bear viewing, Keith is a gem of a tracking guide and works very hard trying to find the bears. Contact him directly and inquire what your timeframe would be for likely successful sightings.

the golf cart is a ship excursion, more like a tram actually. :) Should be available from shore excursions, on the shiip or at the dock tour center, turn right.

Seward is not a "whale watch", it is varied wildlife, and my humpback sighting stats has been less than 50% of my trips. But, I've had 100% sightings of the resident orcas on my last 5 trips, taken over the past 2 years.

I recommend Teckk for bear viewing, Keith is a gem of a tracking guide and works very hard trying to find the bears. Contact him directly and inquire what your timeframe would be for likely successful sightings.

Thank you!

I guess I figured that we would see whales along with the varied wildlife in Seward thus the reason for not wanting to duplicate (if that's even the right term). I hope the orca sightings continue at your rate as I would much prefer to see them over the humpbacks (though not by a huge margin :)). My youngest son really wants to see the otters (his favorite animal) and my oldest is looking forward to all of it but sort of likes the idea of seeing Puffins.

So much to see, so little time! Guess we'll just have to make this journey again the summer before my youngest hits his Senior year in high school - his early graduation trip same as for my oldest next year.:)

Thank you!

I guess I figured that we would see whales along with the varied wildlife in Seward thus the reason for not wanting to duplicate (if that's even the right term). I hope the orca sightings continue at your rate as I would much prefer to see them over the humpbacks (though not by a huge margin :)). My youngest son really wants to see the otters (his favorite animal) and my oldest is looking forward to all of it but sort of likes the idea of seeing Puffins.

So much to see, so little time! Guess we'll just have to make this journey again the summer before my youngest hits his Senior year in high school - his early graduation trip same as for my oldest next year.:)

By far sea otters are numerous on the Surprise Glacier Prince William sound tours. I have always seen hundreds of them crossing the channel. But I have seen a few out of Seward. The Alaska Sealife Center has an excellent two level sea bird exhibit with puffins.

Overall with any wildlife priority, you have to get out on tours- all you can, repeatively. It never ends. :)

We experienced one of our favorite Alaskan excursions in Icy Point. We went on a bear watch with Teckk Outfitters. We saw 5 bears and loved Keith the owner and guide. he was real Alaska to me, as was Hoonah itself. Had lunch with the locals and walked back to the ship. If you want t.shirts and over priced souviners stay by the ship. If not go into town and talk to the people who live in Alaska.

We experienced one of our favorite Alaskan excursions in Icy Point. We went on a bear watch with Teckk Outfitters. We saw 5 bears and loved Keith the owner and guide. he was real Alaska to me, as was Hoonah itself. Had lunch with the locals and walked back to the ship. If you want t.shirts and over priced souviners stay by the ship. If not go into town and talk to the people who live in Alaska.

I agree, and his wife Edna is wonderful too. Keith is refreshingly true Alaskan. Can't describe it, but I've been so fortunate to run into "it" over and over in my Alaska travels.

I agree, and his wife Edna is wonderful too. Keith is refreshingly true Alaskan. Can't describe it, but I've been so fortunate to run into "it" over and over in my Alaska travels.

We just contacted them and are going to book this excursion, it sounds like a lot of fun!

• 3 months later...

Just got back, here's what we did:

8:30 or 9 AM Got off the ship by riding a "tender" (one of the lifeboats) to the Icy Strait Point shops.

Don't forget to look into the water at the shore if the tide is low: you can see starfish there!

The shops are inside The Cannery, which used to be a working factory. You can see the small museum there, look at the shops, use the restrooms, and walk on the short trails behind the place.

Then we wanted to walk into the Tlinglit village of Hoonah, but since I'm a chemo patient, and since we couldn't find out for sure how long it was, we asked about the shuttle. The shuttle lady told us we could walk to the village and bring the shuttle back, which is what we did. It took us 30 minutes to walk to the village. You're supposed to see bald eagles on the walk, which we didn't, but we had the surprise of our life by having a humpback whale roar up right beside us near the shore! And I think the village is definitely worth looking at, just to see it.

11:30 AM to 2:30 PM. Our whale watch tour was with a retired guy with a small boat: FISHES, with Lloyd. Instead of taking us straight out like some of the larger boats might do, he took us all around, looking for wildlife. We saw the humpback whale we had seen earlier, along with orca whales, brown bear, sea otter, sea lions, and whales, whales, whales.

It was the best day of our trip, on several accounts!!

If you want to read about our adventure and see photos, you can go to my blog at http://thechickadeefeeder.xanga.com/766563029/item/

Ok. I think I have finally figured out how to attach photos.

ISP was the highlight of our cruise. Did Independent Ear Mountain Charters with Eric. It was fantastic.

Here are the pics of 1 of the 2 very close encounters that we had. There were so many whales in the area it was amazing. This one surfaced not too far from where we were and kept a direct path toward us. My heart was beating a bit fast for a moment.

Edit: Well kind of attached. Anyone be able to advise on how to have the larger picture show up in text of reply like I see so often? Using photobucket.

th_Alaska20121572.jpg

th_Alaska20121582.jpg

th_Alaska20121572.jpg.6f10572c7ec7b291ffadcc6e193c735d.jpg

th_Alaska20121582.jpg.2813c667be3e5a80ae43be33c30d2e82.jpg

Archived