Muster Drill.

Princess Cruiser27

IDK, mine have always been 30-60 minutes prior to sailaway, but I've never had that late of a sailaway time. I know I read the answer to this once upon a time on here...but can't remember :(. Someone will know...

At a designated time, each passenger, based on cabin location, is assigned to go to a specific location on the ship with life vest in hand. You do not go to the lifeboat station, but instead go to a public area such as the Theater, or Explorer's Lounge and listen to and watch a presentation by crew members who explain what you would do in an actual emergency. Your cruise card will be barcode scanned to prove that you participated.

At a designated time, each passenger, based on cabin location, is assigned to go to a specific location on the ship with life vest in hand. You do not go to the lifeboat station, but instead go to a public area such as the Theater, or Explorer's Lounge and listen to and watch a presentation by crew members who explain what you would do in an actual emergency. Your cruise card will be barcode scanned to prove that you participated.

Scanning the cards is at random & nothing is said even if yours is not scanned although they do encourage everyone to have theirs included.

Scanning the cards is at random & nothing is said even if yours is not scanned although they do encourage everyone to have theirs included.

On my recent cruise, it was not random at my muster station. Upon entering the Theater, your card was scanned just like an usher would take your ticket. After everyone was seated, they asked if anyone had NOT had their card scanned. Out of a full theater's worth of people, only two people raised their hands, and the crew members quickly made their way over to complete the task. This was the opposite of random. Not sure how it worked at other stations because I was not there.

Since the Concordia event, they have scanned every person's card at the Muster.

Since the Concordia event, they have scanned every person's card at the Muster.

They scann all those that want to be scanned. There were some people who simply walked in & sat down without being scanned & when requested to have their cards scanned did not go back to have them included. They didn't want to lose thier seat at the back of the show room and be moved to the front.

They scann all those that want to be scanned. There were some people who simply walked in & sat down without being scanned & when requested to have their cards scanned did not go back to have them included. They didn't want to lose thier seat at the back of the show room and be moved to the front.

Understood. But just because some people go out of their way to avoid being scanned and circumvent the procedure does not make Princess' procedure "random". At least not by my definition. Princess can hardly be faulted for people trying hard not to comply. No system can be made foolproof agaisnt people who simply want to flaunt the rules.

On RCI's largest ships, and perhaps on others, scanning of seapass cards insures that they know that everyone is attending the drill. Just as scanning the cards when you re-enter the ship in each ports, lets them know if anyone (and their identity) has failed to return on time, scanning the cards at the muster station seems the best way to enforce attendance. Doing so should also speed the drill since it is far more efficient than calling a roll or checking the attendance list manually. I would hope that this becomes the norm on all ships in the future.

It might be a senior moment, but I am pretty positive cards were not scanned at the muster drill on the Sea Princess back in February. And that was fairly soon after the Concordia tragedy.

And this IS a senior moment: I've been on one Princess and one NCL cruise this year and one of them didn't require that we take the life vests with us. I think it was NCL.

Understood. But just because some people go out of their way to avoid being scanned and circumvent the procedure does not make Princess' procedure "random". At least not by my definition. Princess can hardly be faulted for people trying hard not to comply. No system can be made foolproof agaisnt people who simply want to flaunt the rules.

It really depends on the ship. We were on the Golden in January and the crew was only scanning some of the cards in the lounge. The crew missed a good section (including our section) of the lounge. Nothing was ever said to those who did not have their card scanned, nor did they ask if anyone did not have their card scanned.

On our last cruise (in March), our cruise cards were scanned and our cabin was checked t make sure we we're not hiding out there.

On ours in Feb. they took roll by room and all guests for a room had to be present.

We were on the Sapphire in March and they did scan your cruise card as you entered the venue assigned which for us was Explorers Lounge. They did go around to double check as the seats were filled for the late arrivals. Plus, I noticed that the voice that was giving the info was different than the one on past cruises.

Emerald Princess, end of March 2012:

• Muster was before sailing
  • Cards were scanned
  • Repeated calls were made for anyone they might have missed in scanning
  • They said scanning method will be used in a real emergency
  • Life vests were with us during muster

Emerald Princess, end of March 2012:

• Muster was before sailing
  • Cards were scanned
  • Repeated calls were made for anyone they might have missed in scanning
  • They said scanning method will be used in a real emergency
  • Life vests were with us during muster

In a real emergency many may not even have a card with them to scan.

This to me is not a good system. :)

In a real emergency many may not even have a card with them to scan.

This to me is not a good system. :)

Which means they did not have a card to go back to their cabin, get medicines, warm clothing, and their life jacket.

Princess can give them a life jacket, but not the medicine or warm cloting.

Which means they did not have a card to go back to their cabin, get medicines, warm clothing, and their life jacket.

Princess can give them a life jacket, but not the medicine or warm cloting.

Exactly.....

Being able to retrieve those items is never a sure thing under any circumstances.

Archived