Can you see the Aurora Borealis on an Alaskan cruise?

redfish1955

Haven't seen any threads about this. If there are some and I missed them, I apologize for posting this... We are on the Infinity out of Seattle on May 18, with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria, B.C. Any chance we can see the aurora, or is it just not dark enough/the wrong location(s)?

Thanks for any replies and information!:D

The aurora is rarely seen in summer months and usually doesn't come to southern Alaska very often. There was some fairly extreme aurora this winter on the east coast of the US, but it was extreme.

If you see it on your cruise, it will be historical.

Well I would not go as far as to say it is "historical" to see the aurora on an Alaskan cruise, but in May it isn't possible because it really is not dark enough. If you were going in mid to late August or early September, your chances increase. I was on an Alaskan cruise in late August one year and saw the aurora from near Juneau.

Well I would not go as far as to say it is "historical" to see the aurora on an Alaskan cruise, but in May it isn't possible because it really is not dark enough. If you were going in mid to late August or early September, your chances increase. I was on an Alaskan cruise in late August one year and saw the aurora from near Juneau.

One of the most spectacular sights I have ever seen was in August... the perseid meteor shower in the southern sky and the Northern Lights in the North Sky....and I was on a boat at Chattam and Peril Straits....(south of Juneau) it was absolutely amazing that morning (2:30 am) right before daylight

In the research I've done it seems the best months to see it are generally Feb & Sept and after that the winter months between September and Feb but the spring and summer months usually have too much light. Also it doesn't seem probable that you would see it on a cruise since it's best viewed from Fairbanks on north, with good sightings down to Anchorage depending on the strength of it.

The cruises remain far south of Anchorage and although not unheard of I would say your chances decrease significantly the further south of Anchorage you are.

Edited by jpthomas27

There were sightings around Seattle and Vancouver last year so if the aurora is active there's always a chance.

Check on the activity level before you leave to see if it's worth your while. Or I believe there are services that will tweet you when the activity rises to a certain level.

I visited the Denali National Park and Preserve page on Facebook. I searched their pictures from last September. (easy to do since they use the timeline feature) I found a great picture of an Aurora on Sept 28. We will be in Denali on Sept 7-8, 2012. I have hope. :)

How about at Denali National Park (Princess Lodge) during the first week in September? That's the farthest north we are going.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

I have seen spectacular Northern LIghts from Denali the 2nd week in September. We were in a really dark area and suddenly there they were. I stayed up most of the night, sitting out in the open wrapped in a sleeping bag.

I wish you luck!

In the research I've done it seems the best months to see it are generally Feb & Sept and after that the winter months between September and Feb but the spring and summer months usually have too much light. Also it doesn't seem probable that you would see it on a cruise since it's best viewed from Fairbanks on north, with good sightings down to Anchorage depending on the strength of it.

The cruises remain far south of Anchorage and although not unheard of I would say your chances decrease significantly the further south of Anchorage you are.

I just did a week of Aurora photography in Fairbanks and Chena Hot Springs in late Feb / early March. I had 4 days of totally clear skies in Chena Hot Springs. A typical photo is attached. I also got to see the international ice carving festival in Fairbanks. It may not have been a cruise but it was a great trip.

DON

DSC_2069-2.jpg.710ce73a1af5aab053d4fc2d49ae16f2.jpg

I just did a week of Aurora photography in Fairbanks and Chena Hot Springs in late Feb / early March. I had 4 days of totally clear skies in Chena Hot Springs. A typical photo is attached. I also got to see the international ice carving festival in Fairbanks. It may not have been a cruise but it was a great trip.

DON

Awesome photo!!!

There is suppose to be a partial solar eclipse on Sunday May 2oth at 4:34:49 local time in Glacier Bay.

Can you see this partial eclipse other places besides Glacier Bay? Maybe somebody knows of the Website to check that out? Thanks!

DON

Great photo!

How about at Denali National Park (Princess Lodge) during the first week in September? That's the farthest north we are going.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

We saw them at the McKinley Princess lodge last week of August in 2004. The lodge even did a wake up call at 2:30 am. Didnt see tham at first but then suddenly they appeared!

Squid

Haven't seen any threads about this. If there are some and I missed them, I apologize for posting this... We are on the Infinity out of Seattle on May 18, with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria, B.C. Any chance we can see the aurora, or is it just not dark enough/the wrong location(s)?

Thanks for any replies and information!:D

You have NO chance of seeing any aurora in this timeframe.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

It is possible, but the Princess lodge is a poor place to be, far too lit up. I would suggest, you verify the daily predictions that day, if active, then plan on walking to a dark area- will have to get out of Glitter Gulch. :) then stay out. You do need clear, dark skys, meaning no cloud cover, storms etc.

I'm on the May 19th Cruise and will be in Fairbanks on the 29th / 30th.... If I just get up in the middle of the night will I see it? Is it that easy? It sounds like even if its not overhead I would see it on the horizon?

I'm on the May 19th Cruise and will be in Fairbanks on the 29th / 30th.... If I just get up in the middle of the night will I see it? Is it that easy? It sounds like even if its not overhead I would see it on the horizon?

You have NO chance of seeing any Aurora in this timeframe. Sorry.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

I'll be there the first week of September also, and like you this is as far north as I'm going... I have my fingers crossed. Here are a few links I plan to use as the time gets closer to help determin my chances

http://www.aurorahunter.com/index.php

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/