Pinnacle Breakfast without being in a suite

califgary

I never even look for the letter as we know to go to Pinnacle.

We just go the first morning. It varies from cruise to cruise how many others come to Pinnacle in the morning.

This last Maasdam cruise, there were about 8-9 or so tables and it was mostly the same people everyday. Of course, Maasdam's Pinnalce is smaller than the larger ships given there are so many fewer guests on board.

Letters like that and others I always used to look for as I used to save them.

On our first segment of our Maasdam cruise -- we had about 21 people everyday for breakfast. And we all arrived withhin a few minutes of each other. Originally there were only 2 Pinnacle staff working but the manager had to add a third one.

The second segment we had only 8 of us on a regular basis.

Letters like that and others I always used to look for as I used to save them.

On our first segment of our Maasdam cruise -- we had about 21 people everyday for breakfast. And we all arrived withhin a few minutes of each other. Originally there were only 2 Pinnacle staff working but the manager had to add a third one.

The second segment we had only 8 of us on a regular basis.

:D You counted the number of people?

My estimate of 8 or 9 tables or so was a guesstimate. :)

Some were tables for two and some were four tops.

It never occured to me to count number of people.

No..... I don't think I will next cruise either. :eek:

I did as this was the most number of people that we have seen at breakfast. And the fact that we were all there at opening. Usually people stagger in during the opening hours.

I was impressed at how many people actually took advantage of this wonderful perk.

Seriously??? I've never seen it empty - but that's ok - if we were the only two there that would be fine with me. Love the Pinnacle for breakfast.:D

Yes, seriously. We are normally up early and there right after opening. We prefer to be able to mingle among our fellow cruisers.

Wow! I didn't read anything to suggest that the staff were out of line. They were doing exactly what they were told to do by the ship management.

If you want to blame someone, blame those who feel it necessary to have these outdated "separation of classes" dining arrangements.

igraf

There is no excuse for the Pinnacle staff to act that way and humiliate you like that.

Did you say anything to the concierges about how the staff treated you there?

DH & I both like the variety in the Lido for breakfast. He is always up and one of the first to arrive when it opens. Therefore, there are no long waits for anything. Even when entitled, we did not even try the Pinnacle for breakfast. I think the Pinnacle is a great perk. Once on a cruise, tried the MDR for breakfast. Were seated at a large table with only 2 other people. Seriously, I think they both had Alzheimers and I don't mean to be disrespectful. They each introduced themselves and told us where they were from, many times. Then they said the very same things over and over again. They were a very nice elderly couple but that was the last time I ate a breakfast in the MDR.

Diane

DH & I both like the variety in the Lido for breakfast. He is always up and one of the first to arrive when it opens. Therefore, there are no long waits for anything. Even when entitled, we did not even try the Pinnacle for breakfast. I think the Pinnacle is a great perk. Once on a cruise, tried the MDR for breakfast. Were seated at a large table with only 2 other people. Seriously, I think they both had Alzheimers and I don't mean to be disrespectful. They each introduced themselves and told us where they were from, many times. Then they said the very same things over and over again. They were a very nice elderly couple but that was the last time I ate a breakfast in the MDR.

Diane

Well it comes to us all Diane, we're just waiting our turn.

:D You counted the number of people?

My estimate of 8 or 9 tables or so was a guesstimate. :)

Some were tables for two and some were four tops.

It never occured to me to count number of people.

No..... I don't think I will next cruise either. :eek:

But why always so cantankerous toward KK? The information she shares here is invaluable. We too noticed that less than 8 people were ever in Pinnacle for breakfast when we ate there!

Just booked a deluxe verandah suite on the Ryndam. Very excited for this perk! Are the opening hours the same as the MDR?

Thanks

Yes

On Sea Days the time is usually from 8 - 9:30.

On Port Days the time is usually from 7:30 - 9.

The daily Explorer program will only list the main dining room hours of operation for breakfast -- so you can check that and know when the Pinnacle will be open.

Interesting.

Yes, I agree, it's rare for people to all be gathered at opening.

We are far more accustomed to people arriving at staggered times.

The main reason so many of us were there by 7:30 was because we had tours and needed to be ready to get off the ship as soon as it was cleared.

If you want to blame someone, blame those who feel it necessary to have these outdated "separation of classes" dining arrangements.

I don't think it is that outdated - it is happening more and more on cruise ships. The "separation of classes" has existed on airplanes forever.

I know that we are in the minority here, but food and service are very subjective. We've only been in the Pinnacle twice, once for dinner, on the Oosterdam, where the food was served slowly and cold, and our waiter never returned (even to our area) to notice we weren't eating any of it after one bite. My husband had to get up to find the Maitre d’ to ask for assistance. The second attempt was breakfast on the Westerdam where we couldn't seem to get a second cup of coffee, no matter who we asked. Maybe these were two isolated experiences, but since we've enjoyed room service breakfast on our balcony, and stops at the Neptune Lounge, we're not in any rush to try again. Obviously others have enjoyed it very much, so while we think it's vastly 'oversold' as a perk, YMMV

A premium restaurant by itself is not a separation of classes as anybody can usually just walk up pay the extra price. I am talking only about a venue were the rest of us are forbidden to enter throughout the cruise. The Pinnacle works both ways, depending on the meal.

I am aware that Cunard has truly separated dining venues; not sure if you mean if others are doing the same. I think that most of them are simply "pay extra" venues.

igraf

I don't think it is that outdated - it is happening more and more on cruise ships. The "separation of classes" has existed on airplanes forever.

I know that we are in the minority here, but food and service are very subjective. We've only been in the Pinnacle twice, once for dinner, on the Oosterdam, where the food was served slowly and cold, and our waiter never returned (even to our area) to notice we weren't eating any of it after one bite. My husband had to get up to find the Maitre d’ to ask for assistance. The second attempt was breakfast on the Westerdam where we couldn't seem to get a second cup of coffee, no matter who we asked. Maybe these were two isolated experiences, but since we've enjoyed room service breakfast on our balcony, and stops at the Neptune Lounge, we're not in any rush to try again. Obviously others have enjoyed it very much, so while we think it's vastly 'oversold' as a perk, YMMV

The only time I had an issue was on the Nieuw Amsterdam - when they asked how breakfast was - much to my husband's chagrin - I said terrible and asked to see the manager - we had a very nice chat (seriously) - I told him the problems in a polite rational way and the next day we gave it a second try - quite a difference. Mind you, that ship is not my favourite, not is it's Pinnacle Grill but it was ok after.

My favourite Pinnacle Grill is the on the prinsendam, after that the Rotterdam (although it was the King's Lounge) and after that the Maasdam. There are some nice relaxing experiences here - give it a try again sometime:D

I am aware that Cunard has truly separated dining venues; not sure if you mean if others are doing the same. I think that most of them are simply "pay extra" venues.

I believe Celebrity has Aqua class staterooms that dine in Blu exclusively. NCL has Villa staterooms with exclusive areas - not sure about dining.

First time we had a suite, we ate in the Pinnacle Grill most mornings. We really enjoyed it, and as I recall, there were never more than 3 or 4 other tables occupied. Service was outstanding

The second time, my sister and BIL were with us, also in a suite. We raved about how nice it was to have breakfast in the Pinnacle. But all four of us were disappointed with cold food and lukewarm coffee! And yes, we let them know we were disappointed ...

We ate in the Lido after that.

I prefer the made-to-order omelets in the Lido.

Both experiences were on Westerdam.

I believe Celebrity has Aqua class staterooms that dine in Blu exclusively. NCL has Villa staterooms with exclusive areas - not sure about dining.

What is interesting is Suite guests usually cannot eat in Blu. It is for guests in a lower category.

PG breakfast (and other meals) have not been enjoyable.

We were delivered the wrong meals on our Eurodam trips,

it seemed that the service staff did not know what they were serving.

Tamarind and Calaletto always got it right, too bad they do not serve breakfast :)

For breakfast I think it boils down to whether the ambience or food is most important to you. Sure the Pinnacle is a lovely setting and I eat there often for either lunch or dinner when the difference in food is readily apparent, but breakfast? Scrambled eggs are no different in the MDR, Lido or Pinnacle, but if you think they taste better in the ambience of the Pinnacle, then go for it.

Personally, after trying them all I still prefer my morning meal in the Lido. I have always enjoyed watching them cook my omelet, or eggs benedict to order in front of me, and selecting exactly the fruits or side dishes to compliment it. And don't forget the Museli that is available at the Lido. I usually sit in the same general area and those traveling with me, or friends I have met on board know where to find me to enjoy a morning chat or cup of coffee.

What is interesting is Suite guests usually cannot eat in Blu. It is for guests in a lower category.

Suite guest can dine at aqua if there is room for 5 dollars, was not impressed with blu food tried it just once

On our last cruise we took my parents with us as a gift for 50th anniversary. We were in a full suite with my parents in mini suite next door. I knew they did not have access to Neptune lounge- but had not really thought much about breakfast. One morning we went to the Pinnacle thinking they could join us. Naive on my part I know--- BUT HUMILIATING nonetheless! In front of my parents we were abruptly told they could not enter, but if we sent them elsewhere we were welcome any morning! I know it was my own fault--- they were very disturbed & I am not sure got passed it. (Made us cancel sinner reservations)... DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!

WOW, I didn't realize you had to make reservations for that. :D:p

Archived