Pinnacle Breakfast without being in a suite

califgary

Blu is an odd venue in that it is deemed healthy rather than deluxe. Think "low calorie" restaurant. Blu is reserved only for the Aquaclass passengers; the higher paying suite passengers are only allowed in on a space available basis and they have to pay a fee, so Blu is not really the upper class dining venue. Having said that, the passengers of the lesser cabins (price difference is rather small) are excluded from dining at Blu.

igraf

I believe Celebrity has Aqua class staterooms that dine in Blu exclusively. NCL has Villa staterooms with exclusive areas - not sure about dining.

It saddens me when I post something I hope will help another and it results in... well you know.

There were many problems that occurred on our last cruise...

for my parents--- & their cabin- too many, & the pinnacle breakfast was simply the tipping point. I have kept the majority of our issues to myself... we have all had one like that- and I see little reason to report back on things that are unlikely to effect others.

... I blame no one for my lack of thought on taking them to the pinnacle for breakfast, I mistakenly thought as our guests they could share our table.

I posted our experience only in hopes another would not make my error...:o

Tyler Rose-

I think its good to post your experience.

Not all know! Thats what CC is for. :)

Not the snippy, crass remarks that are sometimes made.

That helps no one.

I for one welcome personal experiences. Thank you for your post. Someone may read that and it may help them...

Tyler Rose-

I think its good to post your experience.

Not all know! Thats what CC is for. :)

Not the snippy, crass remarks that are sometimes made.

That helps no one.

I for one welcome personal experiences. Thank you for your post. Someone may read that and it may help them...

I agree completely! Tyler Rose is giving us information about something that may prevent us from having a negative experience as he described. There are not only a lot of people on these boards without much cruising experience, but also a lot of different protocols regarding things like this occur on the various cruise lines.

Thanks for pointing this out.

On our last cruise we took my parents with us as a gift for 50th anniversary. We were in a full suite with my parents in mini suite next door. I knew they did not have access to Neptune lounge- but had not really thought much about breakfast. One morning we went to the Pinnacle thinking they could join us. Naive on my part I know--- BUT HUMILIATING nonetheless! In front of my parents we were abruptly told they could not enter, but if we sent them elsewhere we were welcome any morning! I know it was my own fault--- they were very disturbed & I am not sure got passed it. (Made us cancel sinner reservations)... DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!

I don't know why your parents should have been upset. After all, the Pinnacle breakfast is for suite passengers and they were not in a suite - plain and simple fact. I am glad HAL did not bend the rule for them, otherwise where do you stop it? Before long everyone would be doing the same thing (I have seen similiar happenings elsewhere) and it would get out of hand. You pay for this benefit (a more relaxed, gentile breakfast) in your suite price, and you should get it.

If anything, HAL lets too many things slide that they shouldn't, just so as to not upset the passenger. I once saw a suite guest sending out "free" laundry for several non-suite cabins on a regular basis, and no-one ever said anything about it. That was just plain wrong. It ends up spoiling it for everyone else IMO.

It saddens me when I post something I hope will help another and it results in... well you know.

for my parents--- & their cabin- too many, & the pinnacle breakfast was simply the tipping point. I have kept the majority of our issues to myself... we have all had one like that- and I see little reason to report back on things that are unlikely to effect others.

... I blame no one for my lack of thought on taking them to the pinnacle for breakfast, I mistakenly thought as our guests they could share our table.

No reason for the blushing look - you posted a great example and warning to others - nothing to be shy about;) What happens after anyone posts is beyond their control - but happy to see that you have another cruise booked:) Here's hoping for a much experience for you:D

It was king of you to share and I am sure it has been of benefit. Smooth Sailing:)

The last time we were in a SA cabin, we were not asked to show our room key--we just walked in for breakfast. I do not know how they knew we were eligible for service as they didn't know our name or our cabin number

The last time we were in a SA cabin, we were not asked to show our room key--we just walked in for breakfast. I do not know how they knew we were eligible for service as they didn't know our name or our cabin number

Your picture is taken when they do your room key card - they have those on file:D When we went in on the Maasdam - they just asked our room number and at the same time asked how they pronounced our last name (they knew it already):)

On Maasdam, we walk in and they usually know us from previous cruises. :)

On Signature and Vista, they usually ask our cabin number the first time we come for breakfast and never ask again. Each subsequent morning, they usually ask if we'd like the same table we'd had before if it is vacant.

How do you think so many people seem to know your name on HAL?

My last cruise I had several people with me that had never cruised before as well as some who had multiple times, and they were mighty impressed that as they walked by the front desk they were greeted by name and asked how everything was. Room stewards, bartenders, spa workers, and dining room personel seemed to have great powers of memory!

One of the folks with me thought there must be a computer chip on our ships cards that shows our picture or who we are on the front desks computers as we walk by. The problem with that is not everyone who greets us has a computer in front of them.

Whatever it is, it sure lends a nice personal touch to the cruising experience and makes you feel like a welcome guest!:D

Blu is reserved only for the Aquaclass passengers; the higher paying suite passengers are only allowed in on a space available basis and they have to pay a fee, so Blu is not really the upper class dining venue. Having said that, the passengers of the lesser cabins (price difference is rather small) are excluded from dining at Blu.

Therefor is is (almost) exclusive; I did not say it is upper(most) class. :D

And thank you for doing that. :)

One has to have a bit of a thick skin when posting here. :D But all in all it is good.

How do you think so many people seem to know your name on HAL?

My last cruise I had several people with me that had never cruised before as well as some who had multiple times, and they were mighty impressed that as they walked by the front desk they were greeted by name and asked how everything was. Room stewards, bartenders, spa workers, and dining room personel seemed to have great powers of memory!

One of the folks with me thought there must be a computer chip on our ships cards that shows our picture or who we are on the front desks computers as we walk by. The problem with that is not everyone who greets us has a computer in front of them.

Whatever it is, it sure lends a nice personal touch to the cruising experience and makes you feel like a welcome guest!:D

The Holland America crew have fantastic memories. I am also always impressed that they remember our names after meeting us.

Your picture is taken when they do your room key card - they have those on file:D When we went in on the Maasdam - they just asked our room number and at the same time asked how they pronounced our last name (they knew it already):)

We have never been asked to show our ID cards when we went for breakfast at the Pinnacle.

But we have been asked our cabin number.

Wow! I didn't read anything to suggest that the staff were out of line. They were doing exactly what they were told to do by the ship management.

If you want to blame someone, blame those who feel it necessary to have these outdated "separation of classes" dining arrangements.

igraf

On our last cruise we took my parents with us as a gift for 50th anniversary. We were in a full suite with my parents in mini suite next door. I knew they did not have access to Neptune lounge- but had not really thought much about breakfast. One morning we went to the Pinnacle thinking they could join us. Naive on my part I know--- BUT HUMILIATING nonetheless! In front of my parents we were abruptly told they could not enter, but if we sent them elsewhere we were welcome any morning! I know it was my own fault--- they were very disturbed & I am not sure got passed it. (Made us cancel sinner reservations)... DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE!

igraf -- read Tyler Rose's post more carefully.

The staff could have been more polite in reminding them that part of the group were not entitles to have breakfast in the Pinnacle.

First time we had a suite, we ate in the Pinnacle Grill most mornings. We really enjoyed it, and as I recall, there were never more than 3 or 4 other tables occupied. Service was outstanding

The second time, my sister and BIL were with us, also in a suite. We raved about how nice it was to have breakfast in the Pinnacle. But all four of us were disappointed with cold food and lukewarm coffee! And yes, we let them know we were disappointed ...

We ate in the Lido after that.

I prefer the made-to-order omelets in the Lido.

Both experiences were on Westerdam.

Westerdam is -- so far -- the only ship where we had a bad experience. The manager could have cared less!! And we were staying in the PS.

Food was cold. He always wanted to seat us in a booth and we kept saying no. Same thing for dinner.

So after a couple of days we had breakfasts in the dining room and cancelled the rest of our dinner reservations.

I appreciated your posting about your experience with the breakfast Pinnacle.

Thank you.

I did. The staff most likely didn't like saying it anymore than the OP liked hearing it. Don't blame the staff for not sugar-coating the situation as there is no good way to say "you are not good enough to eat here".

This is the basis of my objection to the whole idea separation of dining venues. I do sympathize with the OP's parents but also with the staff who have to disappoint a lot of passengers. A lousy situation just to make a few people feel superior.

igraf

igraf -- read Tyler Rose's post more carefully.

The staff could have been more polite in reminding them that part of the group were not entitles to have breakfast in the Pinnacle.

I did. The staff most likely didn't like saying it anymore than the OP liked hearing it. Don't blame the staff for not sugar-coating the situation as there is no good way to say "you are not good enough to eat here".

This is the basis of my objection to the whole idea separation of dining venues. I do sympathize with the OP's parents but also with the staff who have to disappoint a lot of passengers. A lousy situation just to make a few people feel superior.

igraf

I don't think HAL or anyone is saying "you are not good enough to eat here". Anyone is allowed to book the type of stateroom that allows you to have all the amenities. No one is excluded from booking and paying for these amenities, one of which is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. There are no other qualifications other than "you want it, you pay for it".

No different than going to the theater and buying a general admission ticket or a box seat at a higher price. If you had bought a box seat one of the additional amenities might be a reception with the stars of the show. If you only purchased a genl adm tkt, which was your choice, would you then think you were being discriminated against if not allowed into the reception? You get what you pay for when there are choices that are open to all.

That said, it sounds like the Pinnacle mgmt could have explained the policy more politely, but that doesn't make the policy discriminatory.

igraf

Is that what the 'talking heads' on tv call spin? ;)

No one said anything about 'you are not good enough to eat here".

We all understand what the Pinnacle staff was pointing out Pinnacle breakfast is served to those who have paid to eat there. People are paying a lot more for those suites and they do so for more than square footage of their cabin. We all understand they are buying other comforts and amenities. Why should people who have not paid for them think they should have them?

Anyone has the free choice to book those suites and buy those amenities.

Buy them and have them or don't buy them and don't have them.

The analogies given here above are right on point. IMO

Actually, I have been a recipient of that "Not good enough to eat here" attitude by a Pinnacle Manager.

For whatever reason we chose not to eat at the Pinnacle for the majority of our cruise. On one of the last days, we decided to try it. I approached this "gentleman" and requested a table for 2. Before he asked for a cabin number or key card, he barked at me that I would have to eat in the MDR this was for "special passengers" in a very gruff and condescending manner. I was taken aback and found it really rude. As soon as I handed him my keycard, his whole attitude changed, but that glimpse of his attitude was not soon forgotten. :eek:

Fact is, assumptions and mistakes happen, sometimes they are handled better than others.

Yes

On Sea Days the time is usually from 8 - 9:30.

On Port Days the time is usually from 7:30 - 9.

The daily Explorer program will only list the main dining room hours of operation for breakfast -- so you can check that and know when the Pinnacle will be open.

And the hours are the main reason we have never eaten breakfast in the Pinnacle on the three long cruises we have taken in a deluxe verandah suite (or the MDR ever in all of our HAL cruises.) We are early risers and are looking for breakfast much earlier than those times -- we sometimes find it hard to wait until 6:00 or 6:30 a.m. when the Lido opens with at least continental breakfast. (Yes, I recognize that we are in the minority, but we are never alone in the Lido at those hours).

Dave

Actually, I have been a recipient of that "Not good enough to eat here" attitude by a Pinnacle Manager.

For whatever reason we chose not to eat at the Pinnacle for the majority of our cruise. On one of the last days, we decided to try it. I approached this "gentleman" and requested a table for 2. Before he asked for a cabin number or key card, he barked at me that I would have to eat in the MDR this was for "special passengers" in a very gruff and condescending manner. I was taken aback and found it really rude. As soon as I handed him my keycard, his whole attitude changed, but that glimpse of his attitude was not soon forgotten. :eek:

Fact is, assumptions and mistakes happen, sometimes they are handled better than others.

you Sher - that's sad - I've seen it handled so well - both in the Pinnacle and the Neptune when they basically give a nice tour and explain and the happy passenger walks out after being invited to book this next time.

That is really bad - just because it's the end of the cruise is no reason to assume that you haven't paid to be there. Wow, I think I would have a comment about that one. There's always a nice way to do things.

What ship was this out of curiosity? (if you don't mind the question)

Archived