Currency question

Hello,

We are flying in to Vancouver pre-cruise for one night.

We land at 10:45pm and will be taking a taxi to hotel and then to the pier the next day. I would guess we'll be grabbing some breakfast or coffee in the morning and maybe walking around a little.

Should we change some US dollars to Canadian dollars? Where can we do this most efficiently?

TIA!

Hello,

We land at 10:45pm and will be taking a taxi to hotel and then to the pier the next day. I would guess we'll be grabbing some breakfast or coffee in the morning and maybe walking around a little.

Should we change some US dollars to Canadian dollars? Where can we do this most efficiently?

TIA!

I would change a little money to make things easier and to not be an "ugly American." I don't think it's fair for Americans to expect people in another country to accept US money. The taxis probably would take US money, but they might not give a good exchange rate. Change would be in Canadian money. Is this an Alaska cruise with any Canadian port stops? Are you flying home from Vancouver? You may want to buy snacks in the airport. Again, they'll probably take your US money, but I still think it's better to have some Canadian cash.

You can change money at the travelex desks in the airport. Or check your bank. Bank of America does not add any fees for changing money if you have an account there. Other banks may do that, too.

Thanks for the reply! :)

We bank with BMO/Harris and a local Chicago based bank.

Sounds like it will be wise to change some money at the Vancouver airport before we venture out since it will be so late when we arrive. That will also make Starbucks the next morning a little easier too. :)

Sounds like it will be wise to change some money at the Vancouver airport before we venture out since it will be so late when we arrive. That will also make Starbucks the next morning a little easier too. :)

You shouldn't have any issues, given BMO (Bank of Montreal) is a Canadian bank. Any branch of Bank of Montreal (and there are lots) and no usage fees.

Canadian banks tend to try and hide their 'Canadianness' from Americans by branding themselves with initials instead of their name (TD = Toronto Dominion, RBC = Royal Bank of Canada; etc...)

Hello,

TIA!

For the few hours you are going to be in Vancouver there really little need to obtain $CDN, your $US are accepted pretty much anywhere in Vancouver with the exception of our transit system. I would however keep your bills small as you will most likely get your change in $CDN.

Hello,

TIA!

It's slightly less expensive if you withdraw Can cash from an ATM rather than exchanging. ATMs give a better rate. Use a bank affiliated ATM rather than an independent one such as those found in convenience stores. There are bank affiliated ATMs at the airport.

I don't think it's fair for Americans to expect people in another country to accept US money.

You know, I have to agree. When we go to the States, we always use the currency of the country, the American Dollar. Why would and should a country accept another country's money? Oh indeed, many places in Canada do accept US dollars because it is a goodwill thing to do. We are friendly countries, after all. :) But I'm sorry, no offense intended to OP - I just don't get why people would try to use American money here. It's so not a big deal to get Canadian money, even if it's at the airport upon landing.

Hello,

TIA!

You can probably charge everything including the taxi.

DON

You know, I have to agree. When we go to the States, we always use the currency of the country, the American Dollar. Why would and should a country accept another country's money? Oh indeed, many places in Canada do accept US dollars because it is a goodwill thing to do. We are friendly countries, after all. :) But I'm sorry, no offense intended to OP - I just don't get why people would try to use American money here. It's so not a big deal to get Canadian money, even if it's at the airport upon landing.

I used to share some of your feelings and I still get angry when some of our American cousins on this board feel it is there divine right to use $US currency anywhere they go....but for the most part I moved on a couple of years ago when I discovered the even BC Liquor Stores accept $US and have the daily conversion rate programed into their cash registers.

In the case of the OP they asked a very simple question, "Should we change some US dollars to Canadian dollars? " given the that they are only in the city for a few hours and the answer is, no, why bother. If businesses including our provincial government are prepared to accept US currency it seems to me that we are preaching to the wrong people....it's business and they aren't likely to change anytime soon.

We are very appreciative of the gracious taxi drivers and those from whom we make small purchases they are willing to accept our U.S. $$. I specifically thank them for doin that and the taxi driver gets a good tip. We use credit cards for meals/significant purchases but for a small souvenir, we have never had our U.S. $ refused.

I never quibble about whatever the exchange rate as I know they are doing us a favor and we are willing to compensate for that.

Is that the chip-and-pin card? I don't think American banks are doing those yet. It's still swipe and sign or swipe and pin for our cards.

PayPass is an RFID no contact system, just wave your card over the reader.

Is that the chip-and-pin card? I don't think American banks are doing those yet. It's still swipe and sign or swipe and pin for our cards.

If you bank if BMO/Harris, you should be able to use BMO machines in Canada. (Though it's still freaky to see a Visa card with the BMO logo... BMO in Canada is to originator of MasterCard in this country.)

American cards currently have the paypass RFID chips installed for the most part. They will be getting EMV (chip & pin) in the next few years, all the CC companies have set up a schedule and roadmap for the conversion. (Yeah, they are entering the 21st century... finally.)

Important, no matter what your card says, if it has a MasterCard or Visa logo on it, in Canada it is a credit card. MasterCard and Visa are precluded from being in the debit card business in Canada (CIBC has a card that acts as Interac in Canada, but Visa debit outside of the country). If you want to use debit in Canada you will need a card that has no MC/Visa logo and is part of the NYCE network (likely impossible). So just allow them to process as if it is a credit card. Also be aware that this can cause problems when checking into hotels, renting a car or bicycle in Canada as the "hold" will be taken from funds available. We don't have MC/Visa debit cards and our system doesn't understand them. We have no choice but to treat them as a CC in this country. (It's an anti-trust thing).

Archived