RCCL threatens to pull out of cozumel

As a cruise port, Cozumel is not a whole lot different than many of the other ports. A lot of merchants vying for the dollars of the cruise ship passengers, often to the point of being over-aggresive. That is just what has happened as a result of the cruise industry.

I've been vacationing in Cozumel for well over 30 years and fondly remember it as a sleepy fishing village. Nevertheless, it is still high on my dance card. There is huge difference in staying on the island, leisurely enjoying the island's people, snorkeling, diving and fishing and being a cruise ship passenger, herded and cajoled by the tour operators and tee shirt merchants.

Grand Caymen is also an island where I love to vacation. But when there are too many cruise ship passengers are overcrowding the streets of Georgetown I'll usually stay on the ship.

We've been to Cozumel several times now, and we enjoy just walking around in the sun. We already have our souvenirs and don't need any more, but the beach is beautiful, the people are friendly, the sun is hot ... now I wish I was there!

We like Labadee, and don't understand why anyone would feel guilty or become physically ill (!) about enjoying the facilities there, knowing that your port taxes & tips & any money you might be spending in the market are helping the country. Maybe not in a huge way, but still ... better than nothing. Local people are employed there.

if you're not going to travel somewhere because there are people suffering hardship & poverty, you may as well stay home!!

I am by far not the only one to feel that way. Here is an article from ABC about Labadee after the earthquake. In this article a poster from CC (woot we are on ABC lol) put it how I would feel:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/cruise-ship-tourists-visit-haiti-royal-caribbean-liners/story?id=9595955#.T7PIOcX97YM

"It was hard enough to sit and eat a picnic lunch, before the earthquake, at Labadee knowing how many Haitians were starving," wrote one commenter, Bakincakes, on the cruise blog Cruise Critic. "I can't imagine having to choke down a burger there now knowing how many have died and how many are dying of thirst and who will probably die of their injuries."

Regardless of the aide, it would be impossible for me to lay back and enjoy my time knowing what is going on out past the gates. I would feel extremely guilty. However those are my feelings and opinions and I was very clear I would never belittle someone for their own opinions of the place. I am not really sure why you would try and do that for being honest on how I feel? Seems pretty mean.

ETA: I also would like to point out that RC does give the government of Haiti $6 per passenger who goes ashore. The Government of Haiti is one of the most corrupt governments in the world. Do you think those poor people, homeless and starving to death ever see a penny of that money? It all goes in the back pockets of their leaders. I did look into it before deciding Haiti was not a place I needed to be on vacation nor my family. My teens are little eco warriors and social activist on their own. All 3 are currently wearing Koney 2012 bracelets. I am not. I smuggle my chicory Community coffee into empty bags of Free trade coffee when they aren't looking. It makes me feel like a drug dealer hiding my goods HA HA however because of how compassionate I am and how my children are it would not be a good place for us to take a relaxing nap in our cabana type vacation.

I am by far not the only one to feel that way. Here is an article from ABC about Labadee after the earthquake. In this article a poster from CC (woot we are on ABC lol) put it how I would feel:

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/cruise-ship-tourists-visit-haiti-royal-caribbean-liners/story?id=9595955#.T7PIOcX97YM

Regardless of the aide, it would be impossible for me to lay back and enjoy my time knowing what is going on out past the gates. I would feel extremely guilty. However those are my feelings and opinions and I was very clear I would never belittle someone for their own opinions of the place. I am not really sure why you would try and do that for being honest on how I feel? Seems pretty mean.

You are definitely entitled to feel as you do, but to disregard the aid that is being provided to Haiti and its residents through the presence of RCCL and its passengers disregards the consequences of any alternative. Perhaps there would be more deserved guilt, more widely felt, if the cruiselines were to abandon Haiti altogether and only sail to ports where poverty, and need are less obvious. I'd suggest that you might want to do more research into the things that are being done to help Haitians restore their country after such a devastating disaster. Consider the school that RCCL has established, the monies and food, clothing and other articles that have been donated and delivered to the island on their ships, and other actions that have been taken to help improve Haiti's economy and the welfare of its people. Does distance somehow mitigate the guilt one feels for what is going on out past those gates? Does that burger or drink go down easier if you are on a beach on some other island, knowing that nothing your cruiseline is doing will help the people on that devastated island?

You are definitely entitled to feel as you do, but to disregard the aid that is being provided to Haiti and its residents through the presence of RCCL and its passengers disregards the consequences of any alternative. Perhaps there would be more deserved guilt, more widely felt, if the cruiselines were to abandon Haiti altogether and only sail to ports where poverty, and need are less obvious. I'd suggest that you might want to do more research into the things that are being done to help Haitians restore their country after such a devastating disaster. Consider the school that RCCL has established, the monies and food, clothing and other articles that have been donated and delivered to the island on their ships, and other actions that have been taken to help improve Haiti's economy and the welfare of its people. Does distance somehow mitigate the guilt one feels for what is going on out past those gates? Does that burger or drink go down easier if you are on a beach on some other island, knowing that nothing your cruiseline is doing will help the people on that devastated island?

I am not saying the aide is wrong. I am saying ME personally... as an individual couldn't enjoy myself there without feeling extremely guilty.

I am by far not the only one to feel that way.

Hi Brook, there are a lot of folks on here (Critters) who support the school in Labadee and love spending the day on the beach or doing tours, knowing that being there does help to support the locals.

No I am not trying to change your mind about how you feel about Labadee but here are many many of us here who love going there.

Labadee is beautiful and I can't wait to get back there in December...the rest of the ports I don't bother if I get off the ship or not...but Labadee..oh yea I will be off the ship asap when we dock and one of the last to board again in the afternoon.:D

So you would rather have the cruiseline abandon Haiti in a time of need so that you don't have to sit on the beach and feel guilty? You can sit AT HOME and feel "guilty." One of the best thing you could do for Haiti is bring them business, spend your money there. That tourism dollar is CRUCIAL. If you are so panged with guilt, then DO SOMETHING - donate money, send supplies, volunteer to build shelter... nobody is requiring you to 'choke down a burger.'

When we went on Oasis we didn't go to Cozumel or Jamaica. We went to Nassau, Bahamas, St.Thomas and St.Maarten. I believe Oasis does the eastern Caribbean route every other week. There are many ports the Oasis can sail to and could sail to even more ports if they were willing to tender.

While I never felt crowded on Allure, tendering might be the Achilles heel for crowd control.

You may be over cozumel but what about all the new cruisers or repeat cruisers who have never been to cozumel??

Everyone is forgetting something: Anyone who is complaining that they are "tired" of any stop in particular, is saying this because they have been cruising for a short/long while. I'm not saying this as a bad thing because I too am tired of seeing Nassau bahamas stops (as well vacationing there on non-cruise vacations) but the matter of the fact is that RCL has to offer as many ports as possible for the "General Public" which are those guests who have cruised before and for those who have never cruised before.

Sure if I have been on the same Itinary year after year I will be bored as most of you say, but the person sitting at my table next to me, well it may be his or her 1st time in cozumel. The cruise lines can't cater to just repeat cruisers and where they wish to go.

Just my .2

Keep the flaminng to a minimum :D

I agree with you 100%. If you don't like Cozumel find a different cruise. Next cruise will be my 4th time and I still love it. I could care less about the other 2 ports, just love Cozumel. Someone else said something about the beautiful water. Yes...love sitting at Nachi Cocum, sipping drinks and watching the water. Peaceful to me.

We are fortunate to cruise once a year; we've gone out of Miami and San Juan but since we live 30 miles from Galveston we'll continue to cruise from there no matter the itinerary. For us it's more about getting away and relaxing.

While there hasnt been any major earthquakes that I know of elsewhere, I do know that there is extreme poverty in about every port in the Caribbean that cruise ships go to! Jamaica and Bahamas would be two great examples I would think.

I hate it for those folks but it seems the best thing to do would be to go there and spend money there instead of abandoning it altogether.

While there hasnt been any major earthquakes that I know of elsewhere, I do know that there is extreme poverty in about every port in the Caribbean that cruise ships go to! Jamaica and Bahamas would be two great examples I would think.

Don't forget about the Fukishima disaster - which was awful because of the nuclear power plant.

We were just in Cozumel on Jewel in March, and didn't see any new mall. We walked through the existing mall that fronts the International Pier, and the taxi stand was behind the mall on the pier side of the street. Perhaps there is a new mall planned, but is wasn't there two months ago:confused:. The other side of the street is all hotels to the left, and rundown shops on the right.

This sounds like the downtown (old) pier, and that mall is across the street (but there's a bridge that goes over the street at that one so you don't have to dodge traffic if you don't want to.):confused:

I was trying to figure out the same thing. Even if you had to cross the street, you have already walked through the Mall. The Street is not busy there, and there would be no place for taxis to queue up, unless they parked along the curb.

Why did they do that?

Having not been to Playa del Carmen or Cozumel, I have been to Costa Maya - before the streets were paved with stones. I didn't stay in the man made port area and ventured off to town. I have to say it was my favorite Mexican town of all I have been to!

I see that Mike Ronan is a Vice President, who met with the Mayor of Cozumel, and it would be very unlikely that Royal Caribbean would leave Cozumel, especially at this point and time.

There are only so many ports that have docks that can handle the Oasis Class ships, and leaving Cozumel would, frankly, give Royal Caribbean one less stop for the monsters of the seas.

Where else would the Oasis Class go.......if not to Cozumel???

Rick

Cost Maya;)....but I don't ever see Royal pulling out of Cozumel.

Which is why I suggested limiting Cozumel, so that people can still go who like it or haven't been. I never said eliminating it all together. Read.

I didn't mean to single you out, just wanted to quote what the majority of people were saying

I agree with you 100%. If you don't like Cozumel find a different cruise. Next cruise will be my 4th time and I still love it. I could care less about the other 2 ports, just love Cozumel. Someone else said something about the beautiful water. Yes...love sitting at Nachi Cocum, sipping drinks and watching the water. Peaceful to me.

We are fortunate to cruise once a year; we've gone out of Miami and San Juan but since we live 30 miles from Galveston we'll continue to cruise from there no matter the itinerary. For us it's more about getting away and relaxing.

You know whats funny? People here are complaining about a port of call, yet you can find posts from people complaining how tired they are of a particular cruise line. Saying things like "oh I'm tired of the same old production shows, or the same old food, etc etc".

If people are so tired of a particular thing, then why do they continue doing it over and over again?? Take a break and go on vacation somewhere else if you are so tired of something! Or is it that they are trying so hard to accumulate some points?

People need to realize that they may have done something on a prior cruise, but fail to realize that the general public on board with them haven't experience it yet, so it is not old to THEM.

You may be over cozumel but what about all the new cruisers or repeat cruisers who have never been to cozumel??

Very good point.

Although I was one who said I'm done with it!!:o

I know nothing of the western Caribbean and what places a cruise ship my stop at. Just wish a bit of variety came into the picture. At any given week-so many RC ships go to Cozumel. Weather leaving from texas, NOLA or Fla. just wish there were some new, small, non over tourist stop places that could be put on an itinerary. I know-i'm sure it's docks, water level and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't know about that factors in where they go.:confused:

Loss of Cozumel from a Galveston standpoint would be a big problem. I for one never tire of Cozumel. Jamaica and Cayman? meh.....

Lots of bluster here, I really find it hard to believe that RCL would pull out of Cozumel. But..... Roatan, and Belize are much nicer places in the short run. Also.... Cozumel had better mend fences, Cuba can not be far off for opening up for Cruises. That would trump Cozumel in a hurry.

I agree about the bluster, but I have to say that the mayor seems pretty full of it to. The largest ships in the world carrying the largest number of passengers belong to RCCL. To give up that revenue stream seems to be very short sighted on the part of the mayor. Makes me wander what his interest in the "mall" is that he would endanger a relationship with such obvious economic advantages. He may (or may not) get other ships, but they will be smaller and have less economic impact. Pretty stupid on his part.

With that being said, I could care less about the mayor of Cozumel and would love to see a new and fresh port to replace Cozumel.

I am not saying the aide is wrong. I am saying ME personally... as an individual couldn't enjoy myself there without feeling extremely guilty.

I understand what you are saying but am suggesting that you reassess your feelings. If everyone of us shared your opinion and eventually the cruise lines stopped visiting Labadee and making their contributions to Haiti, how would this help anyone? Do you really feel less guilty because you are enjoying that drink and food on beach on an island miles away from Haiti, or is it a case of "out of sight, out of mind"? Nobody is rubbing your face in the tragic conditions in Haiti when you visit Labadee, but your visit is doing at least a small something to improve conditions there. Your absence won't do a thing to make things better, but it seems as though being able to enjoy a guilt-free vacation is a priority.

I understand what you are saying but am suggesting that you reassess your feelings. If everyone of us shared your opinion and eventually the cruise lines stopped visiting Labadee and making their contributions to Haiti, how would this help anyone? Do you really feel less guilty because you are enjoying that drink and food on beach on an island miles away from Haiti, or is it a case of "out of sight, out of mind"? Nobody is rubbing your face in the tragic conditions in Haiti when you visit Labadee, but your visit is doing at least a small something to improve conditions there. Your absence won't do a thing to make things better, but it seems as though being able to enjoy a guilt-free vacation is a priority.
I 100% Agree, RCI has done much to help Haiti including building a school!!

Playa del Carmen?

Only trouble with that.......its a tender port.. (went there on the JW in 2007)

The JW is going there again this winter,as will the BR the following year.

Pull out of Coz over a taxi stand. :rolleyes::rolleyes: There is a hidden agenda here if they pull out. The taxi would just be the excuse, you know like all the suits leave companies to spend more time with the family:eek:

Everyone is forgetting something: Anyone who is complaining that they are "tired" of any stop in particular, is saying this because they have been cruising for a short/long while. I'm not saying this as a bad thing because I too am tired of seeing Nassau bahamas stops (as well vacationing there on non-cruise vacations) but the matter of the fact is that RCL has to offer as many ports as possible for the "General Public" which are those guests who have cruised before and for those who have never cruised before.

Sure if I have been on the same Itinary year after year I will be bored as most of you say, but the person sitting at my table next to me, well it may be his or her 1st time in cozumel. The cruise lines can't cater to just repeat cruisers and where they wish to go.

Just my .2

Keep the flaminng to a minimum :D

I have only been once and loved it! It was on our honeymoon and we took the Fury Cat snorkeling excursion. We got to ride back to the ship as we watched the sun go down and it was amazing. I love looking at our pics too, beautiful scenery and great memories. As some have said, these places can sometimes lose their appeal if overdone. I've been to Nassau 4 or 5 times and although I get off the ship every time, I try to do something different so that it doesn't feel completely boring and over-done. A different experience every trip.

Only trouble with that.......its a tender port.. (went there on the JW in 2007)

The JW is going there again this winter,as will the BR the following year.

I remember on the first cruise I went on with Carnival, we docked at Calica and most everyone was going to Playa Del Carmen. Calica was nothing more than a rock quarry with a big dock for a cruise ship to tie up at.

I suppose thats just a Carnival ship "port" only though?

We were just in Cozumel on Jewel in March, and didn't see any new mall. We walked through the existing mall that fronts the International Pier, and the taxi stand was behind the mall on the pier side of the street. Perhaps there is a new mall planned, but is wasn't there two months ago:confused:. The other side of the street is all hotels to the left, and rundown shops on the right.

This sounds like the downtown (old) pier, and that mall is across the street (but there's a bridge that goes over the street at that one so you don't have to dodge traffic if you don't want to.):confused:

We were there last month and a new mall was being constructed across the street. It had a Hard Rock as one of the anchors.

RCI could drop Coz and pick up Costa Maya again for the Oasis and Allure.

Hi Brook, there are a lot of folks on here (Critters) who support the school in Labadee and love spending the day on the beach or doing tours, knowing that being there does help to support the locals.

No I am not trying to change your mind about how you feel about Labadee but here are many many of us here who love going there.

Labadee is beautiful and I can't wait to get back there in December...the rest of the ports I don't bother if I get off the ship or not...but Labadee..oh yea I will be off the ship asap when we dock and one of the last to board again in the afternoon.:D

Liz, if you read my first post in the thread you will see that I did say I would never fault anyone or think bad of anyone who enjoyed it there. I also said I wish I wouldn't feel this way as it does limit where we cruise.

I don't think those who enjoy their time there are bad people at all lol

I know me. My husband and I both live in a city where one of the worst natural disasters our country has ever seen happen ... Hurricane Katrina. Both hubby and I spent 20 hours a day pulling both the living and the dead out of the water. Hubby is a volunteer first responder through his work. Both of us would feel horribly guilty when we would have to stop to rest. Do you know how hard it is to sleep after seeing for 20 hours people stranded in 15 feet of water trying to cling to life? Yes, I felt beyond guilty for needing to sleep and those cat naps did not last long as I couldn't rest knowing someone was dying because I needed a nap.

I know my weaknesses and my strengths. I know I would not be able to lounge in the sun without feeling extremely guilty. I am not sure if that is a weakness or strength of mine though HA HA

Archived