RCCL threatens to pull out of cozumel

There are no Italian lines with American or Finnish ships.

Costa Cruises has had all their ships built in Italy, except two, the Medetterannia and Atlantica, which may be the two Finnish vessels he is speaking about.

The vast majority of MSC Cruises' ships have been constructed in France.

Also, I'm sure he does ''care'' if RCI leave Cozumel, for that would mean hundreds of millions in revenue lost.

Costa and MSC will only deploy a ship each in the Caribbean, as opposed to Royal Caribbean's entire fleet.

Got to be honest, I am not a fan of ports in Mexico. I used to be long ago but the cartels have ruined Mexico as a fun vacation spot.

Cartels in Cozumel? :confused:

Mexico has always been crime and drug ridden. While yes, there have been a few scary things happen on the island of Cozumel like the lady crewmember that was found dead, can it really be compared to what happens in the country of Mexico?

I for one will be sad if Royal Caribbean pulls out of Cozumel but thats because Im also one that hasnt been there a gazillion times like some of you have :)

I like the place and the people. I like the food. I like haggling with the people there while shopping. I like to pay a cab driver a few bucks and have him drive me around and proudly tell me about Cozumel.

With that said, I would not give you one dollar for the whole country of Mexico and have no desire to go anywhere on the mainland including Cancun whatsoever. I did find myself enjoying just the port area of Costa Maya tremendously though.

We were just in Cozumel on Jewel in March, and didn't see any new mall. We walked through the existing mall that fronts the International Pier, and the taxi stand was behind the mall on the pier side of the street. Perhaps there is a new mall planned, but is wasn't there two months ago:confused:. The other side of the street is all hotels to the left, and rundown shops on the right.

This sounds like the downtown (old) pier, and that mall is across the street (but there's a bridge that goes over the street at that one so you don't have to dodge traffic if you don't want to.):confused:

I abslutely love Coz. The water there seems to be the clearest of all the islands I have visited. We don't mess with the shops at the pier. We have a favorite beach club up in the north end hotel zone. Great people, great food, great water!

I abslutely love Coz. The water there seems to be the clearest of all the islands I have visited. We don't mess with the shops at the pier. We have a favorite beach club up in the north end hotel zone. Great people, great food, great water!

Same here :) I enjoy the people there and I LOVE the food! and you are right, the water there is mesmerizing.

I have never had any reason whatsoever to feel unsafe there either.

Now I wouldnt give you two cents for Nassau though. :) the pushiness of the people there was a total turnoff to me and if I ever take a cruise that goes there again, i will just stay on the ship.

Like others, I'm over Cozumel. It is a beautiful place until you've been there several times. Maybe they should limit Cozumel, like let's say... a western route that doesn't include it? It seems like every time you choose the western route you're in Cozumel. It's nice, just overused in my opinion.

Cartels in Cozumel? :confused:

Mexico has always been crime and drug ridden. While yes, there have been a few scary things happen on the island of Cozumel like the lady crewmember that was found dead, can it really be compared to what happens in the country of Mexico?

I for one will be sad if Royal Caribbean pulls out of Cozumel but thats because Im also one that hasnt been there a gazillion times like some of you have :)

I like the place and the people. I like the food. I like haggling with the people there while shopping. I like to pay a cab driver a few bucks and have him drive me around and proudly tell me about Cozumel.

With that said, I would not give you one dollar for the whole country of Mexico and have no desire to go anywhere on the mainland including Cancun whatsoever. I did find myself enjoying just the port area of Costa Maya tremendously though.

I love Costa Maya!!! I have only been a few times but its a very pretty port. I love the sandy beaches right there next to the ships. Only once did I get that "uh oh" un safe feeling and it wasn't at port. We had booked a tour through RC to see the Mayan ruins (great tour and I highly suggest it for those who can manage the climb!) however on the way our tour guide had us all put up our windows on the bus and explained the area we were about to drive through wasn't always safe. HA HA it was a very poor part of Mexico and though I did smack my hubby as most wives do.. nothing happened to us. It was a sad reality to see the difference between the port tourist area and the residential areas ..if you can call them that :(

However Mexico has lost a good bit of control of their country. They have admitted as much themselves. It has gotten a lot worse in the past few years. Coz. is a port. There is export and import possibilities so yes, it is an interest to drug cartels. The last time I was there ..in 2007... I felt it really had gone down hill from previous trips. I did not get that warm friendly feel that I used to get many years ago. Then again when I was a kid I remember our parents taking us to Twiawana for a weekend HA HA nowadays people don't do that but back then it was a blast and we never felt unsafe.

This has to be my all time FAV cruise photo of us EVER :D I actually had it blown up and framed and put in our bedroom HA HA

This was after my loving hubby drug my behind up to the top of those ruins ... in the summer... and the heat... man what I would have given to have a lazy husband that day :D All the other cruise wives got to sit on the beach sipping on umbrella drinks but ohhhh no... not me :rolleyes: I think the Costa Maya sign makes the photo that much funnier... a nice tropical paradise and I am about to have a heart attack HA HA

7209568176_e7d1e1f6fb.jpg

This has to be my all time FAV cruise photo of us EVER :D I actually had it blown up and framed and put in our bedroom HA HA

This was after my loving hubby drug my behind up to the top of those ruins ... in the summer... and the heat... man what I would have given to have a lazy husband that day :D All the other cruise wives got to sit on the beach sipping on umbrella drinks but ohhhh no... not me :rolleyes: I think the Costa Maya sign makes the photo that much funnier... a nice tropical paradise and I am about to have a heart attack HA HA

7209568176_e7d1e1f6fb.jpg

That is a great picture of you two certainly worthy of framing :)

BTW, i am SO envious of your countdown clock!

That is a great picture of you two certainly worthy of framing :)

BTW, i am SO envious of your countdown clock!

We are all very excited!!! I have been having a lot of trouble getting my teens to study for their finals this week :rolleyes:

Our Roll call has gotten to be pretty good friends with each other. We will be sailing with some serious characters so it won't be boring!!! :D

Like others, I'm over Cozumel. It is a beautiful place until you've been there several times. Maybe they should limit Cozumel, like let's say... a western route that doesn't include it? It seems like every time you choose the western route you're in Cozumel. It's nice, just overused in my opinion.

You may be over cozumel but what about all the new cruisers or repeat cruisers who have never been to cozumel??

Everyone is forgetting something: Anyone who is complaining that they are "tired" of any stop in particular, is saying this because they have been cruising for a short/long while. I'm not saying this as a bad thing because I too am tired of seeing Nassau bahamas stops (as well vacationing there on non-cruise vacations) but the matter of the fact is that RCL has to offer as many ports as possible for the "General Public" which are those guests who have cruised before and for those who have never cruised before.

Sure if I have been on the same Itinary year after year I will be bored as most of you say, but the person sitting at my table next to me, well it may be his or her 1st time in cozumel. The cruise lines can't cater to just repeat cruisers and where they wish to go.

Just my .2

Keep the flaminng to a minimum :D

There are 3 types of people when it comes to Cozumel.

Group 1 - people who love Cozumel. I'm in that group. We went to Mr Sancho's last time we were there. What a fun day! We paid for all-you-can-eat/drink and thought we got a good value for our money. We also did the tequila tasting (the same one that Samantha Brown did on her travel show) and some horseback riding. What a great day.

Group 2 - people who couldn't care less about Cozumel. This group of people has a different point of view, but one which is just as valid as Group 1's.

Group 3 - people who could care less about Cozumel. This group of people wants to be in Group 2 but their grammar forces them into Group 1.

ms1-L.jpg

ms2-L.jpg

ms3-L.jpg

ms4-L.jpg

You may be over cozumel but what about all the new cruisers or repeat cruisers who have never been to cozumel??

Everyone is forgetting something: Anyone who is complaining that they are "tired" of any stop in particular, is saying this because they have been cruising for a short/long while. I'm not saying this as a bad thing because I too am tired of seeing Nassau bahamas stops (as well vacationing there on non-cruise vacations) but the matter of the fact is that RCL has to offer as many ports as possible for the "General Public" which are those guests who have cruised before and for those who have never cruised before.

Sure if I have been on the same Itinary year after year I will be bored as most of you say, but the person sitting at my table next to me, well it may be his or her 1st time in cozumel. The cruise lines can't cater to just repeat cruisers and where they wish to go.

Just my .2

I agree with your comments. Unfortunately for many posters it is all about them and they believe that once they are "over" something it no longer matters to anyone else and should be abandoned for some new and more interesting destination. But the same can be said of so many aspects of cruising. The cruise industry, if it is to continue to succeed and operate profitably, needs to add thousands of new cruisers every year. Overall they offer more than enough itineraries to satisfy even the most jaded veteran cruisers, but they still need to offer itineraries that have consistently proven to be most attractive to new folks. Those itineraries tend to be the "same old, same old" itineraries that some of us veterans complain about. I suspect that as far as this particular situation goes, eventually cooler heads will prevail and Cozumel officials will recognize the negative impact that an RCI withdrawal from their port would have on the local economy, and RCI will understand that having Cozumel on its itinerary brings it more business than it loses.

I guess that if someone really wants to sail on a cruiseline that caters exclusively to their particular wishes and desires, they will have to dig deep down and purchase or charter their own ship.:D

We've been to Cozumel several times now, and we enjoy just walking around in the sun. We already have our souvenirs and don't need any more, but the beach is beautiful, the people are friendly, the sun is hot ... now I wish I was there!

We like Labadee, and don't understand why anyone would feel guilty or become physically ill (!) about enjoying the facilities there, knowing that your port taxes & tips & any money you might be spending in the market are helping the country. Maybe not in a huge way, but still ... better than nothing. Local people are employed there.

if you're not going to travel somewhere because there are people suffering hardship & poverty, you may as well stay home!!

Just my .2

I agree with you completely! I was reading all of the "I'm sick of Cozumel," "Cozumel is my least favorite port," comments. I'll tell you my least favorite port - Nassau!!!!

If you're sick of a certain port, don't get off. Or maybe just don't book a cruise with an itinerary you've sailed 10 times. You do have buying power - when Royal Caribbean sees that they have repeat customers on these routes, they probably assume that they are good ports that people want to return to.

The large ships, while they draw a lot of people, are very limited as to where they can go for that reason. I'm beginning to wonder - will the Oasis and Allure always be stuck on the Caribbean Eastern/Western routes? Or will Royal Caribbean continue to build larger ships so that one day, the Oasis is to the new ship like the Monarch is to the Oasis (oh my goodness - I hope not!!! :D :D ) The Norwegian Epic moves to the Mediterranean for the summer, so I'm wondering if in several years the Allure or the Oasis could also sail the Mediterranean. Oh, well - I'm getting very off-topic.

I've been to Cozumel numerous times, as well, and I find it an entertaining port. There are lots of vendors and numerous excursion options.

Just my .2

No flaming from me. You are "spot on" IMHO with everything you posted.

There are many here that feels like just because they have been there and done that and dont care to do it again that everyone else should feel the same way and Royal Caribbean should cater to them and change things.

Just my .2

Which is why I suggested limiting Cozumel, so that people can still go who like it or haven't been. I never said eliminating it all together. Read.

There are 3 types of people when it comes to Cozumel.

Group 3 - people who could care less about Cozumel. This group of people wants to be in Group 2 but their grammar forces them into Group 1.

Awesome !

Which is why I suggested limiting Cozumel, so that people can still go who like it or haven't been. I never said eliminating it all together. Read.

I'm sure your suggestion on Cruise Critic is going to really affect Royal Caribbean's decision. ;)

In all seriousness, if you don't enjoy a port or had a negative experience there (or maybe if you did enjoy a port and had an awesome time there), write to Royal Caribbean.

Archived