RCCL threatens to pull out of cozumel

Hi Everyone, I've heard some talk about RCCL ditching Cozumel as a port of call because of disputes between RCCL and the Mayor of Cozumel.

I have some quotes and sources that I've found...

http://www.caribesunset.com/blog.html

Now all cruise ship tourists must walk across busy Melgar Ave. and through the new mall to get to and from the taxi stand. This new procedure works out very well for the new mall but not so well for tourists who don't really care about another Sun Glasses Hut or jewelry store. The President of RCL, Mike Ronan, wants things to return to the old ways and has filed suit in federal court in an effort to make that happen. There has reportedly been some serious name calling between Mr. Ronan and the Mayor of Cozumel over the issue. The Mayor says he can't really do anything so, "too bad." We are reading that if calmer heads don't prevail then RCL, the second largest cruise line to visit the island, may be taking their ships to other ports and leaving Cozumel with an empty International Pier and mostly empty new mall.

The Mayor of Cozumel has taken the issue of not allowing taxis to use the parking lot at the International Pier to another level. He now, reportedly, is saying that he does not care what Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (RCL) does and if they leave Cozumel that is fine with him. The Mayor stated, "There are several companies who wish to dock their ships on the island ... Italian companies with Finnish and American ships (that) would leave Galveston and Texas,"

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/news

I would be sad to see RCCL pull out of Cozumel. I was there in Dec 2011 with RCCL but did not see this new pier.

Do you think Royal will actually pull out?

Also, sorry of this has already been posted, I searched "cozumel" but didn't find something on this topic.

I see that Mike Ronan is a Vice President, who met with the Mayor of Cozumel, and it would be very unlikely that Royal Caribbean would leave Cozumel, especially at this point and time.

There are only so many ports that have docks that can handle the Oasis Class ships, and leaving Cozumel would, frankly, give Royal Caribbean one less stop for the monsters of the seas.

Where else would the Oasis Class go.......if not to Cozumel???

Rick

I see that Mike Ronan is a Vice President, who met with the Mayor of Cozumel, and it would be very unlikely that Royal Caribbean would leave Cozumel, especially at this point and time.

There are only so many ports that have docks that can handle the Oasis Class ships, and leaving Cozumel would, frankly, give Royal Caribbean one less stop for the monsters of the seas.

Rick

Costa Maya?

Playa del Carmen?

Rick

Or the many 4 night sailings out of Tampa that ONLY go to Cozumel!

Seems they have already pulled out of Costa Maya totally but I guess that could be an option.

Cozumel was my least favourite place, I don't think anyone will be missing much by skipping Cozumel.

Totally agree. At least for the 4 ports of the Western Caribbean itinery (Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown, and Cozumel), we stay on the ship in Cozumel. I would favor a different port, but I don't know which one makes the most sense.

Totally agree. At least for the 4 ports of the Western Caribbean itinery (Labadee, Falmouth, Georgetown, and Cozumel), we stay on the ship in Cozumel. I would favor a different port, but I don't know which one makes the most sense.

More than likely, someone that wants Royal Caribbean more than Cozumel, needs to build a very large dock! I for one, will take Cozumel over Falmouth any day of the week. Jamaca used to be a lot more fun than it is today.

We enjoyed Labadee, for what it is, and Georgetown is nice.

Rick

I personally am sick of Cozumel. I been to many times. I much more enjoyed Haiti and Jamaica on my last cruise. I wouldn't mind going someplace else, this if the oasis or allure COULD go someplace else.

Unfortunately, that is the point!!;)

Rick

I personally am sick of Cozumel. I been to many times. I much more enjoyed Haiti and Jamaica on my last cruise. I wouldn't mind going someplace else, this if the oasis or allure COULD go someplace else.

When we went on Oasis we didn't go to Cozumel or Jamaica. We went to Nassau, Bahamas, St.Thomas and St.Maarten. I believe Oasis does the eastern Caribbean route every other week. There are many ports the Oasis can sail to and could sail to even more ports if they were willing to tender.

When we went on Oasis we didn't go to Cozumel or Jamaica. We went to Nassau, Bahamas, St.Thomas and St.Maarten. I believe Oasis does the eastern Caribbean route every other week. There are many ports the Oasis can sail to and could sail to even more ports if they were willing to tender.

From what I've read they cannot tender from Oasis and Allure, besides, the time it would take to tender approx 6,000 passengers - it would be time to return to the ship when everyone gets off.

Got to be honest, I am not a fan of ports in Mexico. I used to be long ago but the cartels have ruined Mexico as a fun vacation spot. Mexico is the only country where the police wear the masks and the criminals walk around freely. (I saw one of the many Chief of polices say that on a documentary..weeks before he was assassinated by drug cartels).

Many tourist feel the same way I do. Very few people actually book a trip at a resort in Mexico nowadays. The vast majority of tourism is through 1 day visits via cruise lines. Cozumel better be very careful it doesn't bite the hand that feeds it. Their tourism industry is in extreme pain as is.

I am also not a fan of Labadee. I do not fault anyone at all for enjoying that port. I do keep up with the news and events around the world and try to be as conscious about world politics as I can. For me, there is no way I could sit in my cabana, sipping on umbrella drinks, knowing what I know about the country and what is outside those gates. Knowing me, I would become physically ill. That does NOT mean I think anyone who goes is heartless HA HA I wish I could go as it does limit our cruise time. I just know how I am and wouldn't be able to enjoy myself.

I stick with Eastern Caribbean :D

I do wonder about the tendering vs docks. I would think that places like the Cayman's would build their port up to be able to accept the larger boats. At over 10,000 guest extra per week (for both Allure and Oasis) that is a ton of tourism dollars generated per year. I would think an appropriate dock would pay for itself in less then a year? Maybe not less then a year but certainly would pay for itself in the short term.

Loss of Cozumel from a Galveston standpoint would be a big problem. I for one never tire of Cozumel. Jamaica and Cayman? meh.....

Lots of bluster here, I really find it hard to believe that RCL would pull out of Cozumel. But..... Roatan, and Belize are much nicer places in the short run. Also.... Cozumel had better mend fences, Cuba can not be far off for opening up for Cruises. That would trump Cozumel in a hurry.

Loss of Cozumel from a Galveston standpoint would be a big problem. I for one never tire of Cozumel. Jamaica and Cayman? meh.....

Lots of bluster here, I really find it hard to believe that RCL would pull out of Cozumel. But..... Roatan, and Belize are much nicer places in the short run. Also.... Cozumel had better mend fences, Cuba can not be far off for opening up for Cruises. That would trump Cozumel in a hurry.

The way things are currently in Mexico, I would feel a lot safer in Cuba :D

I wouldn't shed a tear about losing Cozumel. It does nothing for me. Mexico in general does nothing for me. Time for something new and fresh so that these itineraries aren't so...boring.

I would agree with the prior poster that said if a country is interested in Oasis class...they'll build a pier.

Can Oasis get into San Juan? I'd love the idea of Cuba. It's time to mend that fence.

Mike Ronan isn't president of Royal Caribbean.

Very inaccurate account.

He is one of several vice-presidents. He is in charge of Latin America relations.

Well it would seem that he would be the right individual to have theses initial discussions. Certainly any decision to change a port of call would involve higher up discussions, but I would think any Cozumel issues would filter through him first in the RCI management chain of command.

Hi Everyone, I've heard some talk about RCCL ditching Cozumel as a port of call

Yay! That would be awesome! :D

Maybe not pull out completely, but AT LEAST reduce the number of itineraries that stop in Cozumel. It seems like it's impossible to take a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise (on ANY cruise line) that does NOT visit Cozumel.

Archived