Tipping from a cruise staff perspective

We leave our auto gratuity on and then give extra bucks to the dining staff and room steward but I've always worried they will think the extra amount is all they are getting. Do they know that we have pretipped? Sometimes I will make a statement like "here is a little extra to go with our auto tip."

Thanks,

Smileyone

If have a question. I'm at a show, one of the bar servers comes by, takes my order and then brings me my drink. I add a couple of dollars to my sign and sail card for him/her. Does the server gets the additional tip or does the bar tender?

If have a question. I'm at a show, one of the bar servers comes by, takes my order and then brings me my drink. I add a couple of dollars to my sign and sail card for him/her. Does the server gets the additional tip or does the bar tender?

Well, on DCL, the extra goes to the server. The 15% autotip goes into ageneral pool for all the bartenders & servers.

:)

All of the cruise lines I've been on made it extremely clear on what tip amounts were expected -- Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity (Regent does not recommend tipping because it's included).

Haha....I won't confirm or deny comments or suggestions made as to what cruiseline I work for. :p

Once the automatic grats are removed, whatever amount they receive will be kept by them and them only. Sometimes they will share a certain amount with the stateroom assistants.

I've heard that on Princess, if you remove the autotips, anything you give to your cabin steward or waitstaff must be turned in to the supervisor for the tipping pool.

I've heard that on Princess' date=' if you remove the autotips, anything you give to your cabin steward or waitstaff must be turned in to the supervisor for the tipping pool.[/quote']

That's how it is on Holland America (same family - Carnival). If you remove your Hotel Service Charge (as they call it), your room host, and servers are on notice that any cash tips you give them must be turned in. All such tips are pooled and divided up among the people who would have gotten them anyway.

So, you're only hurting the ones who do a good job by removing them. It's best just to leave them in place and give additional tips to those who deserve them. If you have an extremely bad server/room host, you can always leave a bad review of them at the end of the cruise.

What are you trying to say there .... that I am insulting???

No. I'm not saying you're insulting. You did however make reference to not giving a "measly $20 or $30," suggesting that there is an acceptable amount. My original question was whether that was a sufficient rip on top of the prepaid tips. The original poster said that anything that is given would be acceptable. Then I was asked why I thought it might be an insult. I splu made reference to your comment that $20 - $30 is insufficient. Do you care to share why you think that way? My question all along was, what's the appropriate amount?"

That's how it is on Holland America (same family - Carnival). If you remove your Hotel Service Charge (as they call it), your room host, and servers are on notice that any cash tips you give them must be turned in. All such tips are pooled and divided up among the people who would have gotten them anyway.

So, you're only hurting the ones who do a good job by removing them. It's best just to leave them in place and give additional tips to those who deserve them. If you have an extremely bad server/room host, you can always leave a bad review of them at the end of the cruise.

The best way to handle a not satisfactory situation is to report it to the front desk at the time, not at the end of the cruise. They can't fix what they don't know about.

And on the other hand, if you have a good waiter / cabin attendant, etc. mention them by name on the survey sheet most cruise lines give you - it's one of the ways they get raises / promotions.

No. I'm not saying you're insulting. You did however make reference to not giving a "measly $20 or $30," suggesting that there is an acceptable amount. My original question was whether that was a sufficient rip on top of the prepaid tips. The original poster said that anything that is given would be acceptable. Then I was asked why I thought it might be an insult. I splu made reference to your comment that $20 - $30 is insufficient. Do you care to share why you think that way? My question all along was, what's the appropriate amount?"

Sorry not trying to stir anything up... My main question was about when to tip. I haven't been on lots of cruises..just a few... I was just reading people saying that we auto-tipped and that was enough. We did that but extra.. and the 20 -30 remark was because on a 7 day cruise those amounts work out to less than 5 dollars a day. To some of the hardest working people I have ever met. I am sure that 12 per person per day adds up to a tidy sum with a ship that has 2,000 people on board.. I have always tipped the last day or night and I will continue to do so.. Like I said just reading from here I feel that the just going the auto tip and that is all is stiffing those who pay special attention to our needs, with a smile on their face. I have traveled alot in the last few years. I work in Afghanistan and go somewhere for R&R every 4 months. I have observed some very rude Americans and it is a pet peeve of mine. No wonder we are hated the world over. Maybe I should just shut up and lurk here on the boards. Half the fun is participating though.

D

Well, on DCL, the extra goes to the server. The 15% autotip goes into ageneral pool for all the bartenders & servers.

Thanks, I hope this applies to the two cruiselines that I regularly cruise on. Of course I think from now on I'll just tip the server in cash. This way I know my 15% automatic gratitude will go to the bar tender(s) and my couple of dollars goes to the server.

I just wanted to thank everyone for trying so hard to keep the discussion on this explosive topic as civil as possible. Personally, I'm very happy to have a crew member's unique perspective on the topic. We don't want to scare Cruise Staff away, or see this very informative thread get pulled. :cool:

I bolded this because I too was insulted that the poster thought that a "measly $20 or $30," suggesting was not an acceptable amount to give in addition to the Auto grat. left in place..

Sorry not trying to stir anything up... My main question was about when to tip. I haven't been on lots of cruises..just a few... I was just reading people saying that we auto-tipped and that was enough. We did that but extra.. and the 20 -30 remark was because on a 7 day cruise those amounts work out to less than 5 dollars a day. To some of the hardest working people I have ever met. I am sure that 12 per person per day adds up to a tidy sum with a ship that has 2,000 people on board.. I have always tipped the last day or night and I will continue to do so.. Like I said just reading from here I feel that the just going the auto tip and that is all is stiffing those who pay special attention to our needs, with a smile on their face. I have traveled alot in the last few years. I work in Afghanistan and go somewhere for R&R every 4 months. I have observed some very rude Americans and it is a pet peeve of mine. No wonder we are hated the world over. Maybe I should just shut up and lurk here on the boards. Half the fun is participating though.

D

If a couple in a cabin leaves the auto tip of $12 per person per day in place & then gives an additional $20 or $30 at the end to their cabin steward & another $20 to $30 to their DR stewards, it is not only $5.00 per day! I take it you still don't feel that $30 extra for a 7 day cruise to the cabin & DR stewards is sufficient & Psgrs are insulting the crew by giving them $20 to $30 extra....What are you basing your assumption on? And what do you consider an acceptable amount to add to the Auto Grat for each Cabin & DR Steward?

I too have traveled all over the world in my job &

have seen some people treat waiters & sales people quite rudely, not just Americans! But I've also seen some very charming & unselfish Americans.. I don't agree that we are hated the world over..I've met some wonderful people from other countries who have always been lovely toward Americans.. Are you saying that they are pretending & just acting?

Cruise Staff thank you for posting & clarifying the Auto tip..

However, I have a couple of questions:

!) We are going on a long (almost 9 week) cruise next year & part of the Amenity package the Cruise Line is giving us for booking before May 31, is "Prepaid Gratituities".. Will the Crew get that entire amount or will the Cruise Line keep part of it..

2) We normally do not pre-tip as we do not want to insult our Stewards..However, would it be proper to give a partial additional tip every few weeks throughout the cruise to our Cabin Stewards, Dining Room stewards, Wine Stewards, etc. or is it best to wait until the very end of the cruise to give them extra?

I would be interested in having others who have taken either a Grand Cruise or World Cruise give their opinion about these questions too..

Thanks again..

Betty

Haha....I won't confirm or deny comments or suggestions made as to what cruiseline I work for. :p

Once the automatic grats are removed, whatever amount they receive will be kept by them and them only. Sometimes they will share a certain amount with the stateroom assistants.

While I appreciate your coming on the forums here to discuss issues of interest to CC members ... I do not think it fair of you to provide information on policies that may be applicable to your line and not to others. For instance, I understand that on HAL and Princess, if a passenger removes the tips/Hotel Service Charge, cash tips go into a pool. While it may be an honor system, I gather employees are honest about it, as they don't want to be fired and sent home to the other side of the world.

Cruise Staff thank you for posting & clarifying the Auto tip..

However, I have a couple of questions:

!) We are going on a long (almost 9 week) cruise next year & part of the Amenity package the Cruise Line is giving us for booking before May 31, is "Prepaid Gratituities".. Will the Crew get that entire amount or will the Cruise Line keep part of it..

2) We normally do not pre-tip as we do not want to insult our Stewards..However, would it be proper to give a partial additional tip every few weeks throughout the cruise to our Cabin Stewards, Dining Room stewards, Wine Stewards, etc. or is it best to wait until the very end of the cruise to give them extra?

I would be interested in having others who have taken either a Grand Cruise or World Cruise give their opinion about these questions too..

Thanks again..

Betty

I have been fortunate to be able to sail on a world cruise and recently returned from the 37 day repositioning cruise of the Volendam, an itinerary that began in Auckland, first segment ended in Sydney, and then finished in Vancouver. I gave additional gratuities to my cabin stewards and dining room stewards at the end of each segment during the cruises. I felt that would supply them with a bit of extra spending money, in case that was needed and desired by them, during the cruise for them to use during whatever time they have off. In every case, they were surprised--and pleased--to receive the additional gratuity. And, I made it clear to them that it was indeed an additional gratuity.

For bartenders and lounge stewards, any extra gratuity I might offer was done so at the time of service.

One steward on long cruises who I think gets overlooked is the young man who brings around the iced tea, lemonade, and water on the Lower Promenade Deck. He also takes care of putting the cushions out and taking them in during the late afternoon. If he serves you frequently, one might consider a small gratuity at the end of the cruise. On the Amsterdam, I gave the gentleman his envelope with my thanks for his service and he nearly went into shock!

I have been fortunate to be able to sail on a world cruise and recently returned from the 37 day repositioning cruise of the Volendam, an itinerary that began in Auckland, first segment ended in Sydney, and then finished in Vancouver. I gave additional gratuities to my cabin stewards and dining room stewards at the end of each segment during the cruises. I felt that would supply them with a bit of extra spending money, in case that was needed and desired by them, during the cruise for them to use during whatever time they have off. In every case, they were surprised--and pleased--to receive the additional gratuity. And, I made it clear to them that it was indeed an additional gratuity.

For bartenders and lounge stewards, any extra gratuity I might offer was done so at the time of service.

One steward on long cruises who I think gets overlooked is the young man who brings around the iced tea, lemonade, and water on the Lower Promenade Deck. He also takes care of putting the cushions out and taking them in during the late afternoon. If he serves you frequently, one might consider a small gratuity at the end of the cruise. On the Amsterdam, I gave the gentleman his envelope with my thanks for his service and he nearly went into shock!

Thanks for sharing that info. I've often wondered (in case I ever get that lucky) just how people tip on extended or world cruises. My only clue was that you usually tip at the end of each leg of a back-to-back cruise.

Your second answer clearly identifies several lines for which you do not work -- those which require crew members who receive tips from passengers who have removed the "automatic grats" you mention to turn in such tips to the pool.

Your second answer clearly identifies several lines for which you do not work -- those which require crew members who receive tips from passengers who have removed the "automatic grats" you mention to turn in such tips to the pool.

That is what we are told but do we really know?

I am always amazed at the excessive inquisitiveness and interest in learning re: cruise ship tipping. One never hears all of these questions about restaurants, hotels, or most any other business.... just the ships? Why is it really any of our business?

Our income is not the stewards' business and IMO their income is not our business.

IMO.....

Our income is not the stewards' business and IMO their income is not our business.

True. And that is not what we are asking about. Some of us make it our business to be appreciative of our stewards and want to reward them appropriately. Knowing how the system works could help us direct the tips to the right people, with fairness and appreciation the goal. If the system requires that when auto tips are off then all tips given directly be turned in, then we haven't done anyone any favors by giving our tips directly to the people we want to give them to. They will have been handed an amount of money that they then have to turn in. Does it help them to be given that money only to know they can't keep it? In those cases it would be better to leave the auto tips in place and then give additional tips to those we feel deserved them.

Thanks again..

Betty

I would tip the staff at the end of each segment ..remember some crew will leave the ship & new crew will replace them

The crew may not do the whole cruise that you are on .....contracts vary

Hello all,

I had a passenger that I had to deal with remove the grats because the ship did not sail close to the glacier. The said passenger told me that he came on the cruise to see the glaciers and since he could not see it, they did not enjoy the cruise. Thus removing the grats.

I would never remove the tips because of something beyond the staffs control and indeed have only removed tips one time in my 17 Cruises. Even then I removed only half the tips. On that cruise the staff in the dining rooms were rude and slow, the staff in the halls would not even point or help in any way when asked for directions, the room steward did not even clean our room some days, and when I went to the desk and complained about all of this the people at the desk had a general "so what!" attitude. This was the second cruise in which I had encountered this type of staff attitude on that cruise line. I pulled half the tips but more than that I have not cruised with that cruise line since then.

When I cruised on the Monarch of the Sea in Feb the ship was very uncomfortable (broken seating) and had poor entertainment. The staff at the desk and the Cruise director were poor but the room stewards and waiters tried very hard so I left the tips on even though the cruise was crappy. I won't cruise the Monarch again.

When I cruised on Triumph last week everyone was great. Every member of the staff right down to the people vaccuming the stairs seemed to go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The cruise was great because of this. We autotipped + we gave extra to our room steward.

I do think the staff need and depend on the tips but I don't consider the tips automatic unless at least a minimal level of service is maintained.

I am always amazed at the excessive inquisitiveness and interest in learning re: cruise ship tipping. One never hears all of these questions about restaurants, hotels, or most any other business.... just the ships? Why is it really any of our business?

Because in those businesses, tips are not tacked on like a service charge (except, perhaps, if you're dining in a big group) and are entirely left up to the discretion of the patron. That's not true on cruise ships. There are real advantages to pre-paid or included gratuities - they reward the team effort - but there are disadvantages too.

True. And that is not what we are asking about. Some of us make it our business to be appreciative of our stewards and want to reward them appropriately. Knowing how the system works could help us direct the tips to the right people, with fairness and appreciation the goal. If the system requires that when auto tips are off then all tips given directly be turned in, then we haven't done anyone any favors by giving our tips directly to the people we want to give them to. They will have been handed an amount of money that they then have to turn in. Does it help them to be given that money only to know they can't keep it? In those cases it would be better to leave the auto tips in place and then give additional tips to those we feel deserved them.

Yes, I understand about the 'some of us make it our business to be appreciative' etc and DH and I are among those people on every cruise without exception and we've been on a great many cruises.

Once I give something to someone, it is no longer my business what they do with it IMO

YMMV but to me, I've given it and it is now theirs and my interest has ceased.

(underline by me)

If I chose to give a partial tip at the beginning of the cruise to my room steward, would he/she find that insulting or think it's a bribe? I would truly be giving it so that had some of the money ahead of time and so they know that I do not intend on stiffing them. Yes, I know that because they then know that I am hoping that they will think of me first for the rest of the week but I don't want them to be insulted. What do you think?

I've started doing this and have never seen a face of insult. Maybe the OP can chime in on the tip/bribe's crew perspective.

Archived