Captain / Hotel Director / Cruise Director Thread (Updated Through December 2014)

malcliz

There are probably many "dream teams" on Azamara. We recently had Captain Leif Karlsson, HotMan Philip Herbert and CD Russ Grieve. They sure measured up to what I consider a "dream team." I know some other Masters get more press here, so just saying'. :):)

"Hotman" Philip Herbert? Woo hoo, what cruise were you on? Oh, ok, just realized you're referring to the fact that he's hotel manager. Philip endeared himself to us on a couple of occasions. Nice guy and great at his job, I think. We encountered Rysard this time who seemed personable and really talked up the company. We're sailing from Caldera to L.A. on the 15th and I don't know who will be hotel director. Attitude is contagious and they all seem to do their level best to maintain a happy ship.

It's nice that the "master of the vessel" chats up the guests but I'd just as soon he was up there on the bridge, keeping an eye on the dials and his crew.

There is always someone qualified to "drive" so really no need for the Captain to be there all of the time. In situations like docking he will be there, but not necessarily maneuvering the ship. The First Officer may do this for experience. Besides, he has to have a chain of command so he can sleep!

Phil

It's nice that the "master of the vessel" chats up the guests but I'd just as soon he was up there on the bridge, keeping an eye on the dials and his crew.

Seriously doubt that any Azamara Captain would be derelict in their duties and put socialization over responsibility. In fact, during our Dec. 8 cruise we were aware that Capt. Jose always put the safety and comfort of the passengers first.

Seriously doubt that any Azamara Captain would be derelict in their duties and put socialization over responsibility. In fact, during our Dec. 8 cruise we were aware that Capt. Jose always put the safety and comfort of the passengers first.

We saw this too. On the second day of our cruise the weather was still very rough and it was quite windy. We were at the pool grill when we saw Captain Jose walk by, glass in hand. The wind literally whipped the glass out of his hand, shattering it on the deck. Instantly--and I mean instantly--Captain Jose grabbed nearby empty chairs and corralled them around the broken glass, isolating the area and ensuring that no one would step on shards. He didn't stand there either waiting for servers to come by and help. If a man is this quick on his feet about a little thing like a broken glass, I am confident that he's going to be competent in other areas as well. He doesn't need to be glued to the bridge 24/7.

Wow. What an odd comment. I hope you realize the Captain is not on the Bridge 24 hours a day, and has other officers in his command, qualified to be at the helm.

I can say with complete confidence, that Azamara has some of the finest Captains at sea, and know how to balance their Officer responsibilities with occasional visits to public areas. From my observations, Safety is always issue #1. If you are still worried, the Captain has technology on his person, to be in touch with the Bridge on a moments notice.

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to inform you that I will no longer be providing updates on this thread. Bill was passionate (as I was) about sharing this information, and was instrumental in sharing the details with us. As that's no longer an option, I have no choice, but to say farewell to this feature, which I took great pride in providing to our community.

Perhaps, if & when Azamara provides another representative, it will continue in some form, either by sharing the information with me, or directly... but I am not in the loop on the conversations.

Of course, the thread shall remain open and you are always welcome to share information obtained while onboard Azamara ships. I wish I could do more, but it's out of my hands. Thanks very much for your understanding.

That's a shame Andy. Hopefully someone else will be able to take over Bill's reins, but he is a tough act to follow.

Phil

I agree Phil. IMO, Bill is irreplaceable. All we can hope for, is someone who will do a respectable job of sharing information between Azamara and our community. Whatever the future holds, I'm sure we can all agree that Bill's shoes are virtually impossible to fill.

10-Feb

José Vilarinho

Philip Herbert

Russ Grieve

Also the White Night Party is on Valentines evening..unfortunately we will be off the ship

Jancruz1

Thanks. We have not yet met Jose, always sailed with Captain Carl. We know Philip and Russ very well. Do you know who the Club Voyage Hostess will be?

Thanks. We have not yet met Jose, always sailed with Captain Carl. We know Philip and Russ very well. Do you know who the Club Voyage Hostess will be?

Le Club Voyage Hostess and Cruise Sales Manager is Nathalia. She's a lovely young woman.

Edited by dln929

We love Nathalia and are glad to hear she is back. She had back issues on our last voyage and went out on vacation to recover. Thanks

I believe the December 28th sailing was her last sailing, and she is leaving Azamara to pursue other interests. b

• 1 month later...

Nathalia left in jan. Right now both Philip and Herbert are on. Both were here in jan when I got on ship so they must be due soon for holiday ...two months at home or is it three? So that means spring they are home .. Hope that helps

Robin

It's Philip Herbert Hotel Director folks are asking about, not two people. As Ryzard is still on Journey and Heike on leave I would guess Philip Herbert has at least one more cruise to go