Question for Oceania Lovers

Hlitner

Spook, I like your thinking (and thanks for your kind words above).

I agree completely! As I have said elsewhere, I started out disliking sea days and now I love them. NOW if I'm on a cruise that as no, or maybe only one, sea day I am very disappointed. True, you can make it a sea day by just staying on board but somehow I always feel like I am cheating myself!

I didn't have a problem just staying on board when my meniscus was torn, but now that I'm pretty well recovered (a few years later) I find it difficult to decide between the two options!

I do think you will find meal times a pleasurable experience ...

Mura

Mura,

Your knowledge and love of O ships came through on my initial reading by you. Our 18 days has nine at sea and four in Society Islands. One non sea day is Piitcairn and two Easter Island. Yes..been to Bora but still at delightful place to sway at anchor even when you reside in Hawaii. A waterman to my bones...surfing...body surfing...sailing I have a love for the sea. So even at anchor in a blue lagoon is another sea day in my log.

Aloha, Ron:cool:

Ron, that sounds wonderful. I've never been all that interested in the area (my husband, however, IS) but I would LOVE to see Easter Island. Oh well ...

I do love the "R" ships -- ever since our first cruise on Renaissance. The few times we've tried other lines we haven't been happy. (Not exactly miserable, however!)

Mura

Mura, We were on R renamed Pacific Princess and I was not too impressed with the layout. Liked the dining room but main lounge is nearly one level and not good viewing for entertainment. The large room in the bow seemed a waste of space and not put to good use. Our luncheon visit on Regatta left me a better impression of her public rooms but the same sightl line problem in lounge. We had a balcony and it very small. We are Elite on Princess but never considered another Princess small ship. Princess a very reliable package with never a negative surprise in our sailings. So I am happy Marina is where we are headed.:cool:

I'm aware there are some complimentary amenities that come with the 'Concierge Level', but can someone provide a list of those items that have an additional charge, at this level? Or is it too much "if this, than that" description? I was wondering about things like specialty coffees, ice creams, fresh-squeezed juice, use of loungers at spa, double loungers at pool, etc? Also, what non-alcoholic beverages are offered all day: lemonade, ice tea, coffee? My anticipation keeps building as I read these postings! (bkkd Oceania twice before, but one the company cancelled and the other one had several ports removed so we cancelled) 6 months to go for this one!! Thx much for the info.

I'm aware there are some complimentary amenities that come with the 'Concierge Level', but can someone provide a list of those items that have an additional charge, at this level? Or is it too much "if this, than that" description? I was wondering about things like specialty coffees, ice creams, fresh-squeezed juice, use of loungers at spa, double loungers at pool, etc? Also, what non-alcoholic beverages are offered all day: lemonade, ice tea, coffee? My anticipation keeps building as I read these postings! (bkkd Oceania twice before, but one the company cancelled and the other one had several ports removed so we cancelled) 6 months to go for this one!! Thx much for the info.

There is no additional charge for:

• Specialty Coffee's (excepting those which include alcohol)
  • Lounge chairs of any kind (outside of the Spa)
  • Iced Cream in any venue

Non alcoholic beverages of every kind, including juices, soda, water, iced tea and sometimes lemonade are available at no cost throughout the ship to every passenger, and your in cabin fridge will be stocked with your favorites if you let Oceania know what you like in advance.

Use of the Spa deck (The Thalassotherapy Pool and its' attendant lounge chairs) is open to Concierge level passengers and above. Otherwise, use of that deck is granted at the discretion of the Spa Manager and may be accessed by purchasing a Spa treatment or a Pass. Passes must be purchased onboard and vary in cost and availability.

:DThank you so much! That is the perfect answer! Not only did you answer what I asked, but it is the best response I could receive;)!( I love "no additional charge" for things I'd like.) BTW, your posts have been great; and I am looking forward to your next review and pictures. Thanx again.

Connie

There is no additional charge for:

• Specialty Coffee's (excepting those which include alcohol)
  • Lounge chairs of any kind (outside of the Spa)
  • Iced Cream in any venue

Non alcoholic beverages of every kind, including juices, soda, water, iced tea and sometimes lemonade are available at no cost throughout the ship to every passenger, and your in cabin fridge will be stocked with your favorites if you let Oceania know what you like in advance.

Use of the Spa deck (The Thalassotherapy Pool and its' attendant lounge chairs) is open to Concierge level passengers and above. Otherwise, use of that deck is granted at the discretion of the Spa Manager and may be accessed by purchasing a Spa treatment or a Pass. Passes must be purchased onboard and vary in cost and availability.

With respect to Marina and Riviera (the latter now has much better showers in the room and other improvements):

Restaurants are all very good to excellent.

Pool and pool area are among the best at sea for this size of ship or smaller

Spa is incredible. Took a sauna daily (one of the largest saunas at sea, excellent cave-like showers, perfect heated tile chaises with ocean views, inside or outside)

Plenty of state-of-the-art exercise equipment

Huge demonstration kitchen is a blast for group cooking classes

Art room is great for everything from painting to photography

Love the 18-hole putting course with doglegs and rough (try to beat my wife's record of 8 holes in one in one round!)

Espresso bar is excellent

Not friendly to cigarette smokers (Yay!) Negative: Not friendly to cigar smokers (Boo)

Not friendly to cigarette smokers (Yay!) Negative: Not friendly to cigar smokers (Boo)

I am lost - please explain.

What exactly is the difference between the two; or more specifically, why should they be friendly to one and not friendly to the other?

I'm very glad they are not friendly to cigar smokers, but could you explain? Are they not allowed at all? Do these ships have something like Regent's "Connoisseur Clubs", which are meant for cigar smokers but have become the de factor smoker's room onboard?

I do not get it either :confused:

Unless you mean cigar smokers have to go outside

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

Cigar and Pipe smoking is only permitted on the forward starboard corner of the Pool Deck.

It means that he is not a cigarette smoker and appreciates the restrictions, but is an occasional cigar smoker and wishes there was something like the Connoisseur Clubon Regent, which there is not on any Oceania ship, for which I'm eternally grateful, as it can be nearly impossible to walk past the Regent Connoisseur Club when someone opens the door. It's easy to avoid the two spots smokming is permitted on Oceania; more difficult on Regent, and nearly impossible on many other ships.

Thx for the link, but it brings another question to mind: where is this "designated smoking area, deck 9"? Is there a room, or a 'space' set aside? Being allergic to smoke, I do hope it isn't widely spread so that I have to tolerate it coming into the veranda or cabin.(I am 'quietly' tolerant, but that doesn't mean I don't get physically ill or uncomfortable:) Thanx for a heads-up.

I do not get it either :confused:

Unless you mean cigar smokers have to go outside

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

Cigar and Pipe smoking is only permitted on the forward starboard corner of the Pool Deck.

I, too, wish it weren't there at all but it is NOT a large area and you shouldn't be aware of it from your veranda. Occasionally when I've been crossing the pool deck at night I will be surprised by the smell of cigar smoke -- but I have to be close to it to notice.

There used to be problems sometimes with people smoking on their verandas (despite the rules against doing so), but at least since the Princess fire several years ago, Oceania really enforces the ban.

Be sure to let TPTB know if you have a problem with your neighbors!

Mura

Mura,Thx! Appreciate ur input. Connie

I, too, wish it weren't there at all but it is NOT a large area and you shouldn't be aware of it from your veranda. Occasionally when I've been crossing the pool deck at night I will be surprised by the smell of cigar smoke -- but I have to be close to it to notice.

There used to be problems sometimes with people smoking on their verandas (despite the rules against doing so), but at least since the Princess fire several years ago, Oceania really enforces the ban.

Be sure to let TPTB know if you have a problem with your neighbors!

Mura

You can also "learn" to cross the pool deck area on the opposite side (port side), where there is no smoking allowed (ditto for the Horizons lounge - just enter it on the "non smoking" starboard side)

Thx for the link, but it brings another question to mind: where is this "designated smoking area, deck 9"? Is there a room, or a 'space' set aside? Being allergic to smoke, I do hope it isn't widely spread so that I have to tolerate it coming into the veranda or cabin.(I am 'quietly' tolerant, but that doesn't mean I don't get physically ill or uncomfortable:) Thanx for a heads-up.

The Deck numbers refer to the smaller ships, Regatta and Nautica, where Deck 9 is the pool deck and Deck 10 is the location of Horizons, the forward observation lounge. There are no passenger cabins on these decks.

On Marina and Riviera, the locations are the same -- the forward starboard corner of the pool deck (under the stairs to the sundeck), and the posrt corner of Horizons Lounge. The differenc is the Marina and Riviera have more decks, so the pool deck is deck 12, and Horizons is on deck 15. There are no passenger cabins aft of either location, so smoke will never blow onto your balcony.

Sorry should have mentioned that deck 9 is on the R-ships & the smoking section is on deck 12 on the O class ships plus a corner in Horizons

We usually go in the port side doors from the pool deck avoiding the small section

There are a few table & chairs there under the deck/stairs

Easily avoided when you know where it is

Not sure on smoke drifting into cabins we have never booked the higher Cat & usually more in the aft section of the ships

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a better answer on the smoke drifting

On Marina it is an almost enclosed room at the back of Horizons (port side) ..we went by there & did not smell any smoke but then again it may depend on the number of smokers in the space

Hope that helps

Lyn

:)Thx be to all who responded to help me out! I have a feeling I will have no problems with the smoke. It sounds like a minimal irritation that I can avoid, and it will not affect the cabin. I really am looking so forward to my first Oceania experience:D Wish I could meet you all on the trip. CLT

To the OPs original question, the extra for the buck is the small ship experience. I agreed with all the points/observations that you had noted. To me the only reason to choose O is to enjoy being on a small ship. The smaller ship can visit smaller ports. It is easy and quicker to get on and off the ship. It is easier to walk to all the venus on the ship. Dining is in smaller venus. You get familar with alot of passengers and staff. The rest of the amenities can typically be purchased al a carte on the other lines and still not equal the per diem rates on O. JMHO

I have been reading all the comments about the Riveria and it sounds great. We did a B2B on Marina in Nov. and liked it. However, I do think it depends on your interests as to which O ship is best. Having now been on the Regatta, Marina, Azamara Journey,

Regent Voyager and Marinier, I think I vote for the smaller ships like Regatta. Perhaps it is not even the small size, but the following reasons, I think, enter into my choice. The Marina is a beautiful ship and beds are the best at sea. But, I did not like the Horizons Lounge as well as the smaller ship. It seems that it is not as conducive to simply having a coctail and watchiing what's ahead. Also, I am not interested in cooking, art, photograhpy, or crafts. Thus, that is what Marina seemed to do best. So, I felt as though I was paying for all the things that I do not particularly like. Of course, much of a trip is destination and people you meet, so that was great on the Marina or any ship. So, different things for different folks!! I still read all the comments and still say "any cruise is a good cruise." Any thoughts similar to mine??

I have been reading all the comments about the Riveria and it sounds great. We did a B2B on Marina in Nov. and liked it. However, I do think it depends on your interests as to which O ship is best. Having now been on the Regatta, Marina, Azamara Journey,

Regent Voyager and Marinier, I think I vote for the smaller ships like Regatta. Perhaps it is not even the small size, but the following reasons, I think, enter into my choice. The Marina is a beautiful ship and beds are the best at sea. But, I did not like the Horizons Lounge as well as the smaller ship. It seems that it is not as conducive to simply having a coctail and watchiing what's ahead. Also, I am not interested in cooking, art, photograhpy, or crafts. Thus, that is what Marina seemed to do best. So, I felt as though I was paying for all the things that I do not particularly like. Of course, much of a trip is destination and people you meet, so that was great on the Marina or any ship. So, different things for different folks!! I still read all the comments and still say "any cruise is a good cruise." Any thoughts similar to mine??

I guess I am going to find out next year, having booked Riviera for a crossing. My favourite are small ships too. In fact, the 350-pax Paul Gauguin is my very favourite ship. And I've been on all the smaller Regent ships too, including Diamond and Navigator, as well as the larger Voyager. Despite that, I've always thought that the old R ships would feel too cramped to me (and I don't like small cabins.)

And, on a crossing, I think I'm looking forward to being able to do things. More restaurant choices, more lounges, some activities. But time will tell--this cruise is our test of Oceania.

I guess I am going to find out next year, having booked Riviera for a crossing. My favourite are small ships too. In fact, the 350-pax Paul Gauguin is my very favourite ship. And I've been on all the smaller Regent ships too, including Diamond and Navigator, as well as the larger Voyager. Despite that, I've always thought that the old R ships would feel too cramped to me (and I don't like small cabins.)

And, on a crossing, I think I'm looking forward to being able to do things. More restaurant choices, more lounges, some activities. But time will tell--this cruise is our test of Oceania.

A word of caution - unless you are booking a PH or higher on the Riviera, your veranda cabin will be very much like the ones on the R ships.

Newer - yes, nicer decor - yes, nicer BR - yes, larger cabin - no (essentially), more storage space - no.

OTOH, there is no better food at sea than O class ships (and that, IME, includes Regent, Silversea and Seabourne)

I think you will truly enjoy the Riviera :)

Archived