Where most people disappointed ith falmouth?

elou

From what I read, there is so little to see. Been to Ocho Rios about 30 times and once to Montego Bay. Not caring much for water-related or activities type, it is hard to choose anything. For anyone who went, I see a guided historical walking tour or a horse and buggy tour of historical Falmouth. ANYONE do these or is it better to stay on ship?

I went last summer on FOS, I personally wouldn't get off the ship for it again, it was not really my favorite, although it was my first time. We did the horseback ride n swim through RCCL. The excursion was a good experience looking back on it. Wasn't the greatest :(

From what I read, there is so little to see. Been to Ocho Rios about 30 times and once to Montego Bay. Not caring much for water-related or activities type, it is hard to choose anything. For anyone who went, I see a guided historical walking tour or a horse and buggy tour of historical Falmouth. ANYONE do these or is it better to stay on ship?

I'm looking forward to seeing this newly created port of call in Jamaica but then I don't have the strong negative feelings about Jamaica that some here exhibit. We will be there in December when we sail on the Allure with our kids and grandkids. When we were last in Jamaica with all of them we docked in Montego Bay and spent the day at an all-inclusive nearby and had a wonderful time. Falmouth is still being developed and it seems that recent reviews are far more positive than the earliest ones. It seems a shame to travel so far just to stay onboard the ship and avoid any exposure to a new location or experience, even on a ship as fascinating a destination as Allure or Oasis.:)

We did a ship excursion that went to a school and plantation. The visit to the school was excellent.

The second and third times we just wandered around the secure shopping area around the ship and bought some very nice wood carvings.

We visited the Pandora store at the port as I knew we would not have time in Grand Cayman, then we did river tubing with Chukka Tours, that was alot of fun and quite close to the ship. Drove through the countryside for a short bit then had a fun and fairly tame tube ride down the river. Fabulous people working for Chukka Tours, had a blast!

I'm so glad to hear that posters on here found a couple of interesting activities while in Falmouth but unfortunately, I wasn't one of them and there are two reasons: 1) None of the excursions offered by RCI in Falmouth seemed appealing. 2) There are gates that surround the port and I was told that if you go past the gates, to use caution as much as you need to.

Regarding item 2, I wasn't sure if the information I received about going past the gates has anything to do with safety compromise. So we didn't chance it and instead, walked around the port for about 1.5 hours and returned to the ship. On the Allure, there is a telescope at the top of the ship and we looked at the area outside the gates. You can definitely tell the tourists from the islanders and I couldn't tell if they (the tourists) were being inconvenienced in any way. I will say that from a telescopic point of view, the only thing that could be worth seeing was the town's city hall.

If I return to Falmouth, I will most likely not get off the ship because I didn't see anything worth experiencing with the port.

I'm looking forward to seeing this newly created port of call in Jamaica but then I don't have the strong negative feelings about Jamaica that some here exhibit. We will be there in December when we sail on the Allure with our kids and grandkids. When we were last in Jamaica with all of them we docked in Montego Bay and spent the day at an all-inclusive nearby and had a wonderful time. Falmouth is still being developed and it seems that recent reviews are far more positive than the earliest ones. It seems a shame to travel so far just to stay onboard the ship and avoid any exposure to a new location or experience, even on a ship as fascinating a destination as Allure or Oasis.:)

Bill, remind me to tell you about it when we are together on the Jewel for the TA. I'm happy to give you our impression, and where to go and what to see, if you have never been to Jamaica.

The port that RCCL put together is just shops. Just inside the gate, one gets mobbed with locals. I think that I kept a really cool drivers name and phone number.;)

Rick

We did Falmouth in January on Liberty, walked the port and took the $15 trolley tour of the area... was interesting to see the churches, hospital and weed stores... in April it was a beautiful sunny day that I enjoyed from Deck 16 of the Oasis with my bucket of beer (on board beer was cheaper than the Red Stripe in port!)

We did Falmouth in January on Liberty, walked the port and took the $15 trolley tour of the area... was interesting to see the churches, hospital and weed stores... in April it was a beautiful sunny day that I enjoyed from Deck 16 of the Oasis with my bucket of beer (on board beer was cheaper than the Red Stripe in port!)

It's a sad day when the beer on the ship is cheaper than the beer in port :eek:

As far as I can telll the construction at the port is effectively complete. I'm afraid Falmouth is as good as it will ever get. :(

We stopped at Flamouth on Allure in November.

I know it's new, but everything was nice & clean & a very upbeat atmosphere. The locals were very friendly & not pushy. Good place for kids to get hair braided & to buy some island trinkets. Del sol is always a favorite store for the kids. I bought a nice caribbean scene painting from a local artist.

Did not do any excursions. Spent a couple of hours on the island & then had a nice time back on the ship as many people were still in port.

I loved the new Falmouth port. I did go on an excursion also. The locals employed and the tour operators are pleasant, knowledgeable and seemed very grateful for RCL's investment. I also love hand made stuff and bought several wood carvings.

Except for a few cultural excursions, there didn't seem to be anything to do in Falmouth proper. We went on a cultural tour and that was okay, but I would not do it again. Everything else seemed to be an hour van ride from the port. Our driver was an hour late because he had messed up the time, so we were all a bit irritated by the time things started. Since that was the only hitch on our excursions, I really can't complain, but I think if we went back, we'd either bite the bullet and go for the hour ride or just stay on the boat.

DH and I were Voyager for the very first visit to Falmouth. We took a Dunn's River Falls trip and enjoyed the ride through the countryside, as our guide was terrific. We are looking forward to returning to Falmouth someday to see the changes and also try some of the historic/cultural tours.

We have been to Falmouth several times and yes do enjoy that you can walk around in a nice clean area and not be hassled. We have been outside the gate and everyone was fine, lots of security around and the locals do not want you annoyed, so were friendly, yes there is the usual asking to see their wares, but not all bad. They are progressing on Marguaritaville and we understand there will be a large pool in the back (on the section towards the ship).

As we have cruised over 30 times, do not usually do tours unless at a new island, so after browsing the stores and small market inside the compound on the last trip enjoyed sitting on the balcony people watching.

Rose Hall shopping area is really nice, the boutique style stores have different merchandise than the local merchants. We went there when RCL used to offer a free shuttle, but now we understand you have to take a cab.

We have visited MoBay, and felt a lot safer at Falmouth, plus have no desire to go to Ocho Rios, and as we are not beach or water folks this area is very welcome.

There are some stilt walkers when you first enter, but you can decline them and just walk by if you do not want to have your picture taken with them.

Go with an open mind and enjoy:)

DH and I were Voyager for the very first visit to Falmouth. We took a Dunn's River Falls trip and enjoyed the ride through the countryside, as our guide was terrific. We are looking forward to returning to Falmouth someday to see the changes and also try some of the historic/cultural tours.

we (group of 6) are going to do the dunns river falls trip from falmouth. can you recommend a tour co. or did you just book through the ship?

Bill, remind me to tell you about it when we are together on the Jewel for the TA. I'm happy to give you our impression, and where to go and what to see, if you have never been to Jamaica.

The port that RCCL put together is just shops. Just inside the gate, one gets mobbed with locals. I think that I kept a really cool drivers name and phone number.;)

Rick

Hi Rick,

Still disappointed that you guys weren't able to join us on the Silhouette. How's that beautiful daughter of yours doing?

We're on the Allure cruise too and this is our first time in Falmouth so have no definite plans so far. Thinking of doing the Hilton Rose Hall day pass but just starting to look into the port to see what else there is to do. Been to Ochos Rios quite a few times so actually I would not get off the ship there anymore, did it and don't have to do it again........LOL well, maybe just to walk over to Margaritaville but that's it.

Would appreciate any suggestions for Falmouth.

Patty

Was the $15 trolley tour through the ship or could you just on at the port?

They are progressing on Marguaritaville and we understand there will be a large pool in the back (on the section towards the ship).

Go with an open mind and enjoy:)

Do you know approximately when the Marguaritaville should be completed?

Was the $15 trolley tour through the ship or could you just on at the port?

We just stumbled upon it and decided what the heck... the booths to sign up are on the far left hand side of the port if you're walking away from the ships. They had a few different tours available right there.

We went on a tour of several plantations (include Rosehall) and it ended with shopping in a nice area.

Who was this tour booked with.,and cost please. :)must admit this one island we are abit worried about.:eek: As we like to travel independtly.

you can also look at tripadvisor.com

you should have no worries if you have a booked tour

or a govt. red plate taxi

Can't really rent a car I don't think - so govt taxi is independent as you can get besides walking around

we are going for our 5th time! Right now - Mexico is the place NOT to go!

Archived