Island Princess mini suite

paddingtonbear

We have booked a ME mini suite on the Island Princess to Alaska in July 2013 at the front of the ship and asked for no upgrade. We did this because

1) we wanted the extra space inside to entertain our friends incase it rains and is cold and we can't use the balcony.

2) it has a covered balcony which we can use if it rains.

3) it is on the port side which is supposed to be best for views going north.

On another thread people say do not book a bow cabin, aft is best. Have we done the wrong thing? Should I just get a Caribe balcony cabin? (bigger balcony and half covered but no inside couch) :confused: Our friends are looking at getting the caribe balcony so we could share that.

Edited by paddingtonbear

I was in C204, which is nearly all the way forward, and I loved it. I think it's a great location, because you're also close to the front open viewing deck, and the buffet is forward on this ship, as are the dining rooms. Generally, I just thought being in this area was way more convenient, as opposed to being aft on the other class of ships. Except for laundry room access -- it's a long walk aft to the laundry room!

We have booked a ME mini suite on the Island Princess to Alaska in July 2013 at the front of the ship and asked for no upgrade. We did this because

1) we wanted the extra space inside to entertain our friends incase it rains and is cold and we can't use the balcony.

On another thread people say do not book a bow cabin, aft is best. Have we done the wrong thing? Should I just get a Caribe balcony cabin? (bigger balcony and half covered but no inside couch) :confused: Our friends are looking at getting the caribe balcony so we could share that.

Refer to the link below for more info

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

I was in C204, which is nearly all the way forward, and I loved it. I think it's a great location, because you're also close to the front open viewing deck, and the buffet is forward on this ship, as are the dining rooms. Generally, I just thought being in this area was way more convenient, as opposed to being aft on the other class of ships. Except for laundry room access -- it's a long walk aft to the laundry room!

That is very reassuring. Thank you. I see yours was the extra large mini with the window. From what I gather the exercise might do me good to get to the laundry after eating all the great food. (As long as someone else cooks it I will think that it is great food!)

That is very reassuring. Thank you. I see yours was the extra large mini with the window. From what I gather the exercise might do me good to get to the laundry after eating all the great food. (As long as someone else cooks it I will think that it is great food!)

Yes, I was upgraded from an oceanview -- really enjoyed it! If I could afford it, I'd book it again in a heartbeat.

You will get exercise, that's for sure. She's the dachshund of cruise ships -- very long. And also very uncrowded and spacious. You're in for a treat -- best ships in the fleet, she and her twin, in my opinion.

We sailed in C228 on the Island thru the Panama Canal ... loved the roominess and fully covered verandah. Honestly, we didn't feel any unusual motion in that area. Well, and you're also very close to the forward viewing decks ... the area on the Caribe deck is deeper (front to back) than the viewing area on Baja. Also, the Horizon Court buffet is only a couple of decks above you, nice and convenient.

I did not realize that Island Princess Caribe deck mini's had no couch.:confused:

I was on the Island and our Dolphin deck had a couch, as well as every other Princess mini I have been on.

Can anyone can confirm or deny this for Caribe deck on Island?

I did the Coral (sister ship) through the canal this spring in cabin D329. It was pretty mid-ship, mini, Starboard side. Very large balcony which was completely open. I thought only the Dolphin Deck had the mini's.

I just returned from a short repositioning cruise from SFO to Vancouver on the Golden....give me the Coral/Island any time. She was a wonderful ship. Not too big but very spacious and uncrowded.

If you are doing an inside passage, you will have scenery on both sides of the ship (although the continent should be on the Starboard side).

It is a hit and miss regarding the weather. Both times I went to Alaska, the weather was absolutely perfect.

Enjoy your time. Be sure to take a walking guided tour of Skagway with the National Park service. In Ketchikan, I started at the mouth of the river and just followed it all the way to the end. Saw lots of Salmon swimming upstream. This was a highlight!

Renee

I did not realize that Island Princess Caribe deck mini's had no couch.:confused:

I was on the Island and our Dolphin deck had a couch, as well as every other Princess mini I have been on.

Can anyone can confirm or deny this for Caribe deck on Island?

You misread my post. I was comparing the mini to the balcony cabin. The mini has the sofa. The balcony cabin does not.

Dh and I were in c227 on our Alaska cruisetour, Sept. 2009, and in c230 on the Panama Canal partial transit, Nov/Dec. 2011. Love the minis in that location, used the covered balcony a lot on both cruises. You picked a great location!! Enjoy!!

Dh and I were in c227 on our Alaska cruisetour' date=' Sept. 2009, and in c230 on the Panama Canal partial transit, Nov/Dec. 2011. Love the minis in that location, used the covered balcony a lot on both cruises. You picked a great location!! Enjoy!![/quote']

Oops--both minis were on the Island Princess--our favorite Princess ship! :)

Dh and I were in c227 on our Alaska cruisetour' date=' Sept. 2009, and in c230 on the Panama Canal partial transit, Nov/Dec. 2011. Love the minis in that location, used the covered balcony a lot on both cruises. You picked a great location!! Enjoy!![/quote']

A repeat customer of those particular minis - thanks!!

I would not worry about being forward. But for north bound sailings the starboard side (right side) is always the side looking at the main shoreline. The port side looks out to the outer islands.

Thanks very much for confirming this. I did get a starboard cabin but somehow listed a "port" cabin in the original post by mistake. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...