Another can I make this flight question...

Before you flame me, I know that there is always a chance of delay. I know that this could be a little risky, but has anyone made a flight around 9:50 am out of FLL after Oasis/Allure? I know its a gamble but I think I want to try it. We can self carry our luggage off and request an early departure correct? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind....so go for it... "I" would not want the stress at the end of a nice relaxing cruise but everyone has their own comfort level...

If you can do express walk off (handling the luggage yourself, on the escalator in the terminal, with one hand free to grasp the escalator handrail), and leave the ship as soon as it clears, then yes, you can make this flight with time to spare assuming there are no unusual circumstances (which are rare).

I would only say this about Oasis/Allure, because they generally arrive and clear customs very early, and start express disembarkation around 6:15am or 6:30am. The facility is set up to handle disembarkation in a very efficient manner. There are plenty of taxi's waiting, and the aiport is 10 minutes away. We didn't rush to be the first ones off the ship, and we were at the taxi stand before 7am.

Before you flame me, I know that there is always a chance of delay. I know that this could be a little risky, but has anyone made a flight around 9:50 am out of FLL after Oasis/Allure? I know its a gamble but I think I want to try it. We can self carry our luggage off and request an early departure correct? I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Call the airline and find out what the re-book charges are if you miss and multiply that by the number if your group. Perhaps you already know what the next flight is? There is a good chance you will make it and a possibility you won't. Royal wants you off the ship and I expect them to start offering "we will carry you off the ship in a rickshaw"option before too long.

If you can do express walk off (handling the luggage yourself, on the escalator in the terminal, with one hand free to grasp the escalator handrail), and leave the ship as soon as it clears, then yes, you can make this flight with time to spare assuming there are no unusual circumstances (which are rare).

I would only say this about Oasis/Allure, because they generally arrive and clear customs very early, and start express disembarkation around 6:15am or 6:30am. The facility is set up to handle disembarkation in a very efficient manner. There are plenty of taxi's waiting, and the aiport is 10 minutes away. We didn't rush to be the first ones off the ship, and we were at the taxi stand before 7am.

Well said, I only added finding out what it costs you if you don't make it. My flights for my next cruise should be available in the next month or two. On my last trip out of here, I had a 4pm flight, got to the airport around 2pm and could have paid $100 ea to go earlier, we didn't

Call the airline and find out what the re-book charges are if you miss and multiply that by the number if your group. Perhaps you already know what the next flight is? There is a good chance you will make it and a possibility you won't. Royal wants you off the ship and I expect them to start offering "we will carry you off the ship in a rickshaw"option before too long.

You are making the wrong assumption. You are not likely to get on any "later" flight. Flights are full. Especially- flights that aren't in the "will I make it catagory". You would need to consider looking at the early next am flight for space.

I did it in December. The price difference on JB was the factor. I also don't like sitting around and waiting at the airport. I was on the line on the promenade to get off self assist at 6 am and was at the airport by 7. Yes there is always the chance that the ship is delayed for some reason/emergency but I have been on the Explorer when it was delayed and disembarkation didn't even start until 1:30 pm and that was self assist. I barely made it home in time to pick up my dog from the kennel before they closed and went on vacation. If all goes according to schedule - yes.

I was on Allure at the end of April and I was at my gate at the airport by 7:15 for a 10:10 flight. I did self check out with my luggage and was off the ship and through customs and in a taxi before 6:45. So yes, if everything goes like normal, you can easily make that flight.

Airport security was also a breeze on that particular day, can't speak for other times. It only took about 10 minutes tops to get through.

Thank you all for sharing you experiences! I did end up booking the 9:50 flight. The only other affordable option was a 5pm flight. I cant hang out in an airport that long! Does anyone know if you request self disembarkation ahead of time, or after you sail?

Express self-disembarkation/walk-off with everything yourself, etc. is offered onboard, watch for the flyer or notice in the SeaCompass distributed daily, plus there's the usual "briefing" given by the CD & played over & over on the ship's InfoTV Channel. It's supposed to be capacity-controlled with a deadline to sign-up for, then you will later receive special tags from your attendant in the stateroom, and, you keep all your luggages inside instead of putting them outside the hallway on the last evening. They will have all the detailed instrucitons for you - no, you do NOT sign up for this ahead of time.

Following the airline's examples, I will not be surprised, as others said, for them to soon start "charging" extra fee for the "privilege" of priority departure - we're on an Alaska cruise and the ship Captain claimed/joked that 1/3 of the pax wanted to get off on their own & not everyone got their wishes - the crew loved it, less work for them.

Please, if someone flames you on here for asking questions, arm your torch and flame them right back! With that said, our friends who live in Illinois had a 9:00am flight. They chose the express checkout which had a timeframe between 6:45am and 7:30am. They made their flight! In addition, my flight was not scheduled until 11:30am but we decided to get off the ship using express checkout also. We left around 6:50 and we were past the gangway and customs by 7:00am. Once outside, there are tons of cabs waiting. We checked in at the airport and got passed security by 8am. You'll be fine as long as you use the express checkout on the ship!

Shouldn't be a problem making your flight. As DonnaK mentioned when exiting the ship in the terminal you will need to go down to the next level via an escalator but you will NOT be permitted to use it if you have a bag, camera, child or anything in each hand. You will be forced to use the elevators and there is quite a line for that. Your only other issue is customs. If they have enough agent kiosks opened up then it'll be a breeze. The airport is mere minutes away and there's tons of cabs ready to move.

Thank you all for sharing you experiences! I did end up booking the 9:50 flight. The only other affordable option was a 5pm flight. I cant hang out in an airport that long! Does anyone know if you request self disembarkation ahead of time, or after you sail?

I requested it at the customer service desk onboard the ship. I did not wait until the flyer was sent to my room, though. On the second day, I went to the desk and signed up right away. This way, I was sure to get into group "A" (the first group to be allowed to leave).

You can....but there is always that "chance". It happened to us on our cruise last October (Oasis). We were scheduled to walk off at 8:30am. There was a problem inside the port and we did not walk off the ship until 10:45am. We heard it had something to do with customs, but LOTS of people were worried on the ship about being late for their flights. Huge backed up lines, that wrapped all the way through and around the dining room.....

I, personally, would never chance a flight that early, but I'm a planner and don't like to take those types of "chances". I am that one person always saying in the back of my mind "What if......".

I've just found out that United have changed our flight out of FLL in September to 11am. We are from the UK and have always found it takes us a lot longer to clear customs than US citizens (there always seems to be less customs officials dealing with non-US hence way longer lines). Unfortunately, we are unable to self disembark, can we make an 11am flight?

Thanks in advance for all of your opinions.

Carole

Archived