Crown Princess Galveston Departure

Dambuster

Hi everyone,

The boss and I are sailing on the Crown Princess, departing from Galveston Island. I was wondering, does anyone know why the Crown has been bumped to Galveston? Could it be that Ft Lauderdale is becoming too busy? or that Princess will be adding another ship departure from Ft Lauderdale?

Hi everyone,

The boss and I are sailing on the Crown Princess, departing from Galveston Island. I was wondering, does anyone know why the Crown has been bumped to Galveston? Could it be that Ft Lauderdale is becoming too busy? or that Princess will be adding another ship departure from Ft Lauderdale?

Probably because there is a demand from people living in or near Texas for this particular sailing. Even Disney is sending one of their ships to Galveston.

I'm sure Princess is simply meeting demand. Carnival recently moved the Magic to Galveston. I was a little surprised to see such a new ship assigned to Galveston but obviously the demand is there. Disney, Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean will all have ships assigned to this port.

Galveston recently upgraded the dock itself to be able to better handle the larger Carnival Magic. I read somewhere that 70% of the passengers on the Conquest were from Texas.

I sailed on the Conquest from Galveston in 2008. It's very convenient from Dallas and I saved the airfare. The only down side to Galveston is that it is a long bus/taxi ride from the nearest airport (Houston). We drove down the night before and left the car on the hotel lot for the week for $20. :)

Here the webcam for the pier used by Carnival. I assume Princess will also use Pier 23.

http://www.galveston.com/pier23cam/

Customer demand. Now that there is a larger terminal in Galveston to support the larger ships, more are coming.

If you are referring to the "new" Bayport Terminal, it's not used by any cruise line. They arguet that the transit time from Bayport to the open Gulf Waters is too long.

Serendipitus you asked. There's an article in today's Houston Chronicle addressing the subject:

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Bayport-Cruise-Terminal-still-trying-to-draw-ships-1716788.php

An extract:

GALVESTON — Several stories high and topped by its red and blue smokestacks and yellow water slide, the Carnival Ecstasy towered over the cruise ship terminal near Galveston's historic Strand. About 2,600 passengers crowded into the terminal, some handing their luggage to porters and double-checking their tickets before embarking on a four-day cruise to Cozumel, Mexico.

More than 30 miles away from where those travelers gathered, the Port of Houston Authority's $81 million cruise terminal is shuttered, with no cruise ship ever making regular stops there. And no cruise line has announced plans to call on the 2-year-old Bayport Cruise Terminal.

"I'm optimistic that we'll end up with a cruise line," Port of Houston Chairman James Edmonds said.

The port is offering to work with cruise lines to develop 40 acres of land near the terminal, hoping that will encourage one to base a ship at the Pasadena property. Restaurants, hotels and other attractions could be built on the land and turn the spot into a destination point, Edmonds said.

Hi everyone,

I haven't heard of another ship taking the Crowns place in Ft. Lauderdale this coming winter season. The Royal Princess will eventually replace the Crown Princess in Ft. Lauderdale. The Royal is scheduled to move to doing Caribbean cruises after its inaugeral summer Med. cruises next summer.

Galveston is a convenient port for a large part of the American population. It is also a great place to spend a couple of extra days before or after the cruise. Lots to do and see in the Galveston area.

Caribbean Princess moves from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale, Crown Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to Galveston. No reduction in number of Ft. Lauderdale sailings (though none with calls in Mexico) from '11-'12 to '12-'13 season other than Grand Princess leaving in late January for a Circle South America cruise. In March and April 2011 there were five ships in Ft Lauderdale (Ruby, Emerald, Crown, Star, Grand) and even huge discounts left many cabins unsold. I was on the Star's very last Caribbean cruise and it was only around three-quarters full.

Customer demand. Now that there is a larger terminal in Galveston to support the larger ships, more are coming.

I was in Galveston in December to board the Mariner and I did not see any changes to the terminal RCL or Carnival uses. I am wondering where this "larger terminal" is located. Perhaps you are refereing to the new terminal in Houston which sets empty. The Galveston passenger terminals are converted warehouses with little conversion done. They are two of the tackiest cruise ship terminals I have had the displeasure to use.

Looking forward on taking a cruise leaving Galveston. I really hate long flights to Florida.

I would MUCH rather fly further to Fort Lauderdale and pay for a pre-cruise hotel night than cruise out of Galveston. There is nothing convenient about cruising out of that port if you're flying in.

I was in Galveston in December to board the Mariner and I did not see any changes to the terminal RCL or Carnival uses. I am wondering where this "larger terminal" is located. Perhaps you are refereing to the new terminal in Houston which sets empty. The Galveston passenger terminals are converted warehouses with little conversion done. They are two of the tackiest cruise ship terminals I have had the displeasure to use.

True! But they are only 60 miles from my driveway.:D

3-1/2 hour drive from Central Texas. Would much rather do this than set foot in one of those virus carrying airplanes to Florida.

Vs. a virus carrying cruise ship? :confused:

Disclaimer: I know the passengers are the culprit not the transporting vessel.

Archived