Food trays..now I know why

Max and Ruby

no one has them on the cruise lines. Went online to see how much 1 food tray was. I found $18-$50 each. Wow! I thought it would be a good idea to bring 1 onboard since they don't have them except room service.

Now I guess I could take the 1 I get from room service and borrow it until the end of the cruise....I have small children and thought having a food tray would be good so I could get them both their food at the buffet and we all walk together. I didn't want to leave them alone or have them drop their plates.

What would you do? Has anyone gotten room service early on and kept the tray to use throughout their cruise?

I too see them in the buffet area. Which ship doesnt have them?

Fire,

Liberty didn't have trays last year or this year in the buffet area, but the plates are much larger than before. Room service was still on trays.

Splendor and Valor did not have them either.. but the plates that they offer now can be used as a tray.. its a buffet if you need more go get some.. but there is more than enough room to put a drink and your food for the 1st round;)

Fire,

Liberty didn't have trays last year or this year in the buffet area, but the plates are much larger than before. Room service was still on trays.

Valor did not have them in January, but had the big plates,

After using them a day, the big plates are much better, you don't take as much, and you don't have to juggle at the table trying to put everything down off the tray, because the worker is there wanting to take the tray.

We had a child with us on the Valor and did not miss them, I think taking a try from the room, and then bringing it back would be a hassle.

Splendor and Valor did not have them either.. but the plates that they offer now can be used as a tray.. its a buffet if you need more go get some.. but there is more than enough room to put a drink and your food for the 1st round;)

We would go get the drinks first, at least water, to leave on the table to hog it, then go get in line, but we seam to work in shifts, one gets their drink and starts in line, then after a few minutes the other goes and does the same, leaves the table un attended, and gets food, and you are both back to eat in no time.

Not ALL cruise lines, Celebrity had them in May.

Also we were on the Miracle in January and they had them.

So, if they are starting to take them away, where do they go?

If they were good trays, and lead a good tray type of life, do they go to "tray heaven"? :)

I have held back a room service tray on more then one occasion to be used throughout the cruise.

no one has them on the cruise lines. Went online to see how much 1 food tray was. I found $18-$50 each. Wow! I thought it would be a good idea to bring 1 onboard since they don't have them except room service.

Now I guess I could take the 1 I get from room service and borrow it until the end of the cruise....I have small children and thought having a food tray would be good so I could get them both their food at the buffet and we all walk together. I didn't want to leave them alone or have them drop their plates.

What would you do? Has anyone gotten room service early on and kept the tray to use throughout their cruise?

I haven't noticed trays on any of the various ships I've been on. You could check out the local party stores for inexpensive trays. They won't be the thick/sturdy ones your most likely used to. Hope this helps.

I haven't noticed trays on any of the various ships I've been on. You could check out the local party stores for inexpensive trays. They won't be the thick/sturdy ones your most likely used to. Hope this helps.

That was going to be my first place to look, but went on the net instead. Will check and then if I can't find anything, plan b! There's always a plan b!

I'm sorry, but I don't see your problem. If you have two children, you could get your food and one child's and then DH could do the same for the other child. I don't know the age of your children, but perhaps they are old enough to carry something.

I know my DH has trouble with his back, so he sits down and I get breakfast for both of us. Usually someone is walking around asking about drinks, so he orders our juice and coffee, but if there's no one, I get them too. Not a difficult job and we get to eat together.

Enjoy!

Splendor still had them a few weeks ago.

Miracle still has trays.

Last year when I was on ships with the Big White Plates I did keep a tray from room service. I mainly used this when I wanted to carry things from the Lido Deck to my balcony but it is certainly an option.

ETA....Nbp1999.....was typing while you were posting :) Heck, forget the kids there are mornings I could have been spillin'

On my last (figuratively and literally) Carnival cruise in 2011, I actually did take my own tray onboard at embarkation. As a person sailing solo there is a challenge that first day of having my minimal carry-on luggage in my possession and then getting a lunch w/ beverages to my table in one sweep. When traveling solo, there is not that extra person to watch your belongings or food if they are left at a table while you go back to complete your selections. Yes, in some past sailings I've had a food tray removed when I went back for an additional item, and a crew member simply thought it was an uneaten meal by a wasteful passenger.

This last time I was absolutely certain I could manage a plate, one dish of fruit, and two beverage glasses with ease. Several other passengers did approach and ask where I got the tray, as they wanted one as well. I pointed to the logo on the tray, which was for another cruise line. Created some interesting looks :), and I simply explained that CCL had chosen to eliminate this offering on their Lido deck.

It came in handy a few times throughout the sailing.

My cabin stewart had chuckled with me about the tray during the week, and I gave it to him at the end of the cruise.

I was on the Valor in March there were no trays however, I think the reason some ships have them and some dont I think CCL is testing if there is a difference on the amount of food being wasted with or without the trays. Does that make sense?

Gary

I just did a quick search and found them at foodservicewarehouse dot com (no spaces) and they started out at $16 something but that was for a case of 12. All of their prices were for cases of 12. Now if you could just find 11 more people that wanted one...

I was on the Valor in March there were no trays however,

I think the reason some ships have them and some dont

I think CCL is testing if there is a difference on the amount of food being wasted with or without the trays.

Does that make sense?

That makes quite a bit of sense to me!

Not only with regard to minimising food wastage in the Lido

but also kicking up the Class factor by a notch. ;)

AND doing away with the expense of the trays themselves

plus the bother of cleaning them, stacking them etc.

Trays always made the Lido seem so holiday-camp-tacky.. :cool:

Archived