Food trays..now I know why

Max and Ruby

A tray would be most useful for meals to bring back to enjoy on our balcony. I don't eat that much, for example, breakfast: (cereal, milk and yogurt), but if my girls want pancakes or OJ and milk and apple juice... If the hubby is awake, he of course can help, but if he's not, and us 3 are ancy to eat.....

Plus I am thinking of doing a cruise with just the 3 of us (girls 7 and 5) next year, so I want to see how this goes....

Having 2 adults with children is a blessing when you have 1 to hold the seat and another to get the kids' food!

I just did a quick search and found them at foodservicewarehouse dot com (no spaces) and they started out at $16 something but that was for a case of 12. All of their prices were for cases of 12. Now if you could just find 11 more people that wanted one...

Our local restaurant supply sells them by the each. So does Smart n Final.

I just did a quick search and found them at foodservicewarehouse dot com (no spaces) and they started out at $16 something but that was for a case of 12. All of their prices were for cases of 12. Now if you could just find 11 more people that wanted one...

Actually they sold 1 type for about $6 for 1. With S/H it was something like $17.00. Only thing is it stated it would take 6 days for "processing before shipping." We leave in a week.

Will go to Party City next!:p

Now I guess I could take the 1 I get from room service and borrow it until the end of the cruise....I have small children and thought having a food tray would be good so I could get them both their food at the buffet and we all walk together. I didn't want to leave them alone or have them drop their plates.

What would you do? Has anyone gotten room service early on and kept the tray to use throughout their cruise?

the plates are not like a regular dinner plate at home. They are oval platters.

You can grab a few- and put your food all on one plate-- then replate when you get back to the table.

This year glory and valor did not have them. Kind of a pain but as long as i have a pocket for silverwear and napkin can deal with it.

Yes, one learns to be creative. I brought my own plastic tray ($.50 each at a yard sale) but quickly found out it was not an asset as I had to carry it around. I did use it later in the evening when I left the cabin to bring snacks back to the cabin.

There are also disposables at Walmart in the paper goods section.

DW and I cruised on the Conquest this past January and they didn't have the trays. On Embarkation we went to the Lido and took turns getting some lunch at the buffet. As I got to the plate and silverware area there was a "Gentleman" there having what my Mother would classify as a hissy fit, I would call it a red faced cussing rage, because they had taken away the trays and made it clear that that was the "end of his fun". I told him I was sorry for his pain and got a plate and went around him. He was still there gripping when I left. Poor guy! I feel sorry for people that will let something beyond there control ruin an entire week for them when it can be worked around.

I have not seen a tray on one of the ships we have been on since the Fascination in December 2010. I know the Sensation did not have them in February 2011 or the Valor in September 2011 or Freedom in January 2012.

We talked about the same thing - finding a tray because of our three year old. We need to help him with lunch etc.

Splendor and Valor did not have them either.. but the plates that they offer now can be used as a tray.. its a buffet if you need more go get some.. but there is more than enough room to put a drink and your food for the 1st round;)

Actually Splendor does have them. They must have gotten them sometime after you sailed in 2010.

the plates are not like a regular dinner plate at home. They are oval platters.

You can grab a few- and put your food all on one plate-- then replate when you get back to the table.

I was going to suggest the same thing. When we were on our cruise I would grab one of the smaller plates (desert size I guess) for DD and then use a regular platter, get food for both of us, and then when I got to the table, put her food on her own plate and keep the rest for myself. But DD is a baby so she did not get that much. I often had to make more than one trip, especially since I wanted to get back quickly to get her food and so DH could go get his food, so I did not get much time to survey everything.

Wasn't there a thread just like this a month or 2 ago? My dh is physically challenged (amputee) & we really missed the trays on our Legend cruise in Dec. I wish they would bring them back, even if for just those of us who need them. We did manage, but with 2 trips by me for drinks & such.

Yup, Splendor has them again. I think they are coming back, which I like because I can carry my drink, food and utensils all in the same trip if I have a tray.

Miracle had them a month ago. Agree with you - like being able to carry my silverware and drink on the trays. I hope they are not going away permanently.

no one has them on the cruise lines. Went online to see how much 1 food tray was. I found $18-$50 each. Wow! I thought it would be a good idea to bring 1 onboard since they don't have them except room service.

What would you do? Has anyone gotten room service early on and kept the tray to use throughout their cruise?

trays are not that expensive. I see here they are running about 4.12 each and I am sure in huge bulk they will be significantly cheaper

http://www.uline.com/BL_6578/Cafeteria-Trays?pricode=WU399&gclid=CNLY6K7w0LACFQFeTAodanEfWA

I completely understand a Mom wanting to use a tray when SHE has to get the food, AND has the TWO kids with her, and no where in the orginal post did we see the word DH. :o Getting one big plate, and three drinks and two smaller plates for the kids is still more than one person should have to handle. No tray? I would have no problem asking for staff assistance getting the stuff to the table. Or bring your own tray. And of course the worst time that this would happen is when you board and lunch is on the lido, and the place is packed, and the kids are hungry, and :eek:, -honey either bring your own tray or get someone to help you.

I was on the Imagination, and they had trays. Made it very easy, for me traveling solo, to carry a complete meal to the table in one trip. Without trays, I'd have to make multiple trips for food and drinks, which is a hassle. The only downside of trays is that trays have somewhat of a school cafeteria feel, but the good outweighs the bad.

Maybe it's only the larger ships that are doing away with trays. With more passengers, more trays are needed, so eliminating them reduces expenses by a greater margin.

I went to Party City and got this oval thing. $4. DH said "why did you bother?". I said "You'll be thanking me when the kids want breakfast and I go to the Lido with them and bring stuff back." Food plates I can handle...it is the drinks that can spill and you only have 2 hands!

And for those thinking it (why don't your kids carry stuff too?) My girls are clutzy and they get it from their momma! I can just hear it now....crash! there go the pancakes full of syrup on the hall flooring as we go back to the room.... :rolleyes:

Hopefully my post helped those who had not thought of this issue, made others laugh and was useful.

Out of here and onto packing!

Last week on the Pride, there were trays at the start of each buffet line. The only time I didn't see them is when they were out of clean ones and a staff member came to put clean ones back by the time I was done in the line.

I'm certainly glad they were there because the plates were often just back from the wash themselves and therefore quite hot to the touch.

no one has them on the cruise lines. Went online to see how much 1 food tray was. I found $18-$50 each. Wow! I thought it would be a good idea to bring 1 onboard since they don't have them except room service.

Now I guess I could take the 1 I get from room service and borrow it until the end of the cruise....I have small children and thought having a food tray would be good so I could get them both their food at the buffet and we all walk together. I didn't want to leave them alone or have them drop their plates.

I see other posters are saying plates are bigger but that obviously won't solve your problem since you will be carrying more than one plate for your kiddos. I have small kids too, so I see your point. If you think having a tray will help then I'd stick the one in the closet from room service and take it up to the buffet. I don't think anyone is going to stop you and say "excuse me we are one tray short please return that." LOL :cool:

Do what works for you.

Keep a tray from room service, that is what we did. We eat breakfast on the balcony, and it is so much easier for me to grab the coffee etc. from the buffet and bring it back to the cabin ( on a tray ) , than waiting for room service to arrive.

I hope the beards read stuff like this. They do away w/ something like trays, not considering everyone's needs. I do not want to take a tray from room service or bring one from home. The pain of carrying that from our cabin to the buffet-ugh. Can't they just have a few on hand for people with small children or those who have physical challenges. DH is literally one handed & balancing his drink on that plate was impossible. My trying to balance 2 drinks plus my food was a hassle. We just made 2 trips, but would have been much easier with a tray.

Archived