Do room stewards work in pairs?

thecook

I know that our two stewards on the recent Veendam cruise had 30 rooms. And our room was always done when we returned from breakfast...no matter what time we went!

In addition to the prepaid tips, we also leave an envelope with both names on it. I had no idea which of the two did our room because they worked their magic while we were out.

WoW:eek: That is crazy....I haven't cleaned 30 rooms in my lifetime;)

Really that is such a huge load, and they do a great job. I always give more.

WoW:eek: That is crazy....I haven't cleaned 30 rooms in my lifetime;)

Really that is such a huge load, and they do a great job. I always give more.

How much more? What is a good tip? Not for poor service or "kiss my butt" service, but right in the middle great service! That's the kind we're looking for.

What would you give over and above the hotel charge?

How much more? What is a good tip? Not for poor service or "kiss my butt" service, but right in the middle great service! That's the kind we're looking for.

What would you give over and above the hotel charge?

Fortunately for me, and actually quite typically, I have always had really great service. A few times the room wasn't made up until late in the afternoon....but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. I usually let the stewards know up front that I am flexible and they can put me last on the list if it helps them service the more 'demanding' pax;). I can honestly say I have never had bad service.

So to answer your question, and some may think I'm cheap, or whatever, I don't care....but usually it is an extra $20-$30 each for 7 days. (probably $20 when I'm alone) There was a time when I only had $20 in total :eek: in cash at the end of the cruise....(didn't plan well enough) so they each got $10 and seemed thrilled. They always do.

Fortunately for me, and actually quite typically, I have always had really great service. A few times the room wasn't made up until late in the afternoon....but that kind of thing doesn't bother me. I usually let the stewards know up front that I am flexible and they can put me last on the list if it helps them service the more 'demanding' pax;). I can honestly say I have never had bad service.

So to answer your question, and some may think I'm cheap, or whatever, I don't care....but usually it is an extra $20-$30 each for 7 days. (probably $20 when I'm alone) There was a time when I only had $20 in total :eek: in cash at the end of the cruise....(didn't plan well enough) so they each got $10 and seemed thrilled. They always do.

Thanks, Jo-Bob! We have always been thrilled when we have been on board, but it has been awhile! You have given us exactly the information we wanted. Thank you for answering! :)

I believe that I read that the room stewards now work in pairs (on our last HAL cruise that wasn't the case) I was wondering for tipping purposes do they work as equals? Thanks..

I'm excited to be leaving the FLorida's tropical rains behind and heading north for our adventure in Alaska. I'll check in with a review when I get home!

With HAL, one is known as the Lead Stateroom Attendant; the other as Stateroom Attendant; there is a difference in position/status!

With HAL, one is known as the Lead Stateroom Attendant; the other as Stateroom Attendant; there is a difference in position/status!

Thank you for this information. I did not know this.

I like receiving from the stewards a business-type card with their names on it. Classy, professional, and useful!

The business card they hand you on Day One helps to remember their names, then we just have to remember which is which.

On the first day of out last HAL cruise our Steward gave us a business card with his name and that of his assistant .Hopefully we will have the same guys on our next cruise.

That happened to us on our recent Veendam cruise. But, the stewards were the best we've ever had so I was glad to have the card to address the envelopes properly and to remember their names. I thought it was enterprising of them.

We like to receive the business card from the steward, then we know the correct spelling of his name.

We always mention a good cabin steward by name on the survey at the end of the cruise.

Also, we bring some "Thank you" cards and envelopes to use for those to whom we wish to give an extra financial reward.

I was never quite sure which steward was the lead steward, so I always leave the same amount for each in spearate envelopes that I leave out the last night before we go to dinner. Of the last 5 HAL cruises over the past 1 1/2 years, we received hand written thank-yous from each of the stewards on the Ryndam. I thought that was very nice. We were on the Oosterdam earlier this month and both stewards thanked us personally on disembarkation morning. We're always pleased with the service and look forward again as we sail the Veendam in a couple of weeks.

Archived