Do room stewards work in pairs?

thecook

I believe that I read that the room stewards now work in pairs (on our last HAL cruise that wasn't the case) I was wondering for tipping purposes do they work as equals? Thanks..

I'm excited to be leaving the FLorida's tropical rains behind and heading north for our adventure in Alaska. I'll check in with a review when I get home!

Yes, cabin stewards work in pairs. There is one primary steward, and his assistant taking care of your cabin. They have their system for how they split the chores.

They are "tipped" out of the Hotel Service Charge. Should you wish to give them something extra, that is entirely up to you to do, and how to do it.

I usually leave one envelope, with both names on it, for them to share. I've found that they typically have their system for splitting tips, too. I don't concern myself with who takes how much.

However, if you find you wish to assign any extra you give, you can use separate envelopes. (I bet they still split under their whatever plan they've worked out, though. ;))

Yes, cabin stewards work in pairs. There is one primary steward, and his assistant taking care of your cabin. They have their system for how they split the chores.

They are "tipped" out of the Hotel Service Charge. Should you wish to give them something extra, that is entirely up to you to do, and how to do it.

I usually leave one envelope, with both names on it, for them to share. I've found that they typically have their system for splitting tips, too. I don't concern myself with who takes how much.

However, if you find you wish to assign any extra you give, you can use separate envelopes. (I bet they still split under their whatever plan they've worked out, though. ;))

Ruth, that sounds like a great plan.

On our Veendam voyage last May, we met our cabin steward. If he had an assistant, we never met him or her. We showed our appreciation to the steward (excellent service) with a note (and note$) in a envelope, and handed it to our steward prior to disemarkation. I'm sure he would share that with those who supported his work (assistant stewards, laundry service etc.)

This depends where your room is located.

Our last two cruises on the Volendam we were in a room forward on Navigation deck, had one cabin steward.

The rooms further along from us had 2 cabin stewards.

On our Veendam cruise last year, there were two stewards, Ketut and Boyani. We gave them both envelopes with cash at the end of the cruise (in addition to the pre-paid service charge) to express our satisfaction with their work. They were both working really, really hard, and we had absolutely no complaints.

This depends where your room is located.

Our last two cruises on the Volendam we were in a room forward on Navigation deck, had one cabin steward.

The rooms further along from us had 2 cabin stewards.

I'm thinking it does depend on where your cabin is located. We were also on the Navigation Deck (Veendam, Cat A), and only met one steward. And he said he was assigned 15 cabins.:eek:

Thanks to all who gave advice. If I receive the service that is typical on HAL I will be leaving an additional tip for my room stewards. One envelope with both names seems like a great plan.

... and only met one steward. And he said he was assigned 15 cabins.:eek:
I don't remember exactly when the change was made, but up until about 3 years ago all HAL stewards worked alone and had 15-16 cabins. I think the new system was started to give OJT to new stewards, and allow for more continuous coverage of rooms by having them take their breaks at slightly different times.

I don't remember exactly when the change was made, but up until about 3 years ago all HAL stewards worked alone and had 15-16 cabins. I think the new system was started to give OJT to new stewards, and allow for more continuous coverage of rooms by having them take their breaks at slightly different times.

I know that our two stewards on the recent Veendam cruise had 30 rooms. And our room was always done when we returned from breakfast...no matter what time we went!

In addition to the prepaid tips, we also leave an envelope with both names on it. I had no idea which of the two did our room because they worked their magic while we were out.

On a cruise on which we were invited to a Q&A near the end of the cruise with HotMan, CD and shore excursion manager, this was discussed.

Reason we were given is that it was a recommendation by the CDC. One steward does only the bathrooms, the other does the main part of the cabin. I'm not sure if this is how it actually works, but that was the story some time last year.

Interestingly, on a June cruise on the Amsterdam, we had only one steward. I don't know what that was all about, but the cabin was always made up in the morning earlier than we sometimes experience. We also noticed much more attention and checking by supervisory staff. Not sure what that was all about......

On a cruise on which we were invited to a Q&A near the end of the cruise with HotMan, CD and shore excursion manager, this was discussed.

Reason we were given is that it was a recommendation by the CDC. One steward does only the bathrooms, the other does the main part of the cabin. I'm not sure if this is how it actually works, but that was the story some time last year.

Interestingly, on a June cruise on the Amsterdam, we had only one steward. I don't know what that was all about, but the cabin was always made up in the morning earlier than we sometimes experience. We also noticed much more attention and checking by supervisory staff. Not sure what that was all about......

On the first day of out last HAL cruise our Steward gave us a business card with his name and that of his assistant .Hopefully we will have the same guys on our next cruise.

I know that our two stewards on the recent Veendam cruise had 30 rooms. And our room was always done when we returned from breakfast...no matter what time we went!

In addition to the prepaid tips, we also leave an envelope with both names on it. I had no idea which of the two did our room because they worked their magic while we were out.

I had the very same experience on the Veendam. They were excellent. I did the same with extra tip(on top of the hotel service charge).

tjcox9 --

We also noticed much more attention and checking by supervisory staff. Not sure what that was all about.
I noticed that on my recent Maasdam cruise. Both times I mentioned to the Supervisor how good my two stewards were, just in case there was a question.

We leave two envelopes on the bed the last night of our cruises.

If they choose to divide it, share it, pool it.........whatever, that is fine by us.

We have had wonderful cabin stewards and are happy to leave them something 'over and above'. That is our choice and by no means required.

We leave two envelopes on the bed the last night of our cruises.

If they choose to divide it, share it, pool it.........whatever, that is fine by us.

We have had wonderful cabin stewards and are happy to leave them something 'over and above'. That is our choice and by no means required.

Are envelopes normally provided at the end of the cruise?

There will be a couple in your stateroom (but not meant for that) - just go to the front desk and ask for some - they have lots

No one will leave envelopes for additional tips. If you want to give something extra you can ask for envelopes at the Front Desk, or bring them from home. You don't have to give anything extra if you don't want to. It is strictly personal choice whether, and to whom, you do.

I bring Thank You notes, and write a little something to the recipient, along with the "something extra".

No one will leave envelopes for additional tips. If you want to give something extra you can ask for envelopes at the Front Desk, or bring them from home. You don't have to give anything extra if you don't want to. It is strictly personal choice whether, and to whom, you do.

I bring Thank You notes, and write a little something to the recipient, along with the "something extra".

We do the same..We bring little note cards to write a Thank you w/ envelopes..

But have never left the envelopes on the bed..We always look for our Stewards on the last night before we go to dinner (late seating), & thank them & at the same time give each one an envelope..:)

Cheers...:)Betty

I really like the idea if writing a personal thank you note. That is a wonderful idea! Thank you for that.

But have never left the envelopes on the bed..We always look for our Stewards on the last night before we go to dinner (late seating), & thank them & at the same time give each one an envelope..:)

Cheers...:)Betty

We do the same. I like to personally tell them how much we appreciate all that they do, and I like seeing their smiles. :) It was especially important on our last cruise, as we were code red for nearly every day of the cruise and these guys worked even longer hours than usual.

Our experiences have varied. We had two stewards on Maasdam. They were good, but not spectacular. One thing that annoyed me was that they kept straightening up the desk, even after I asked them not to. I had a small pile of work papers, my itinerary and other stuff I'd printed out in anther pile. Everything, including the HAL booklets, Explorers, and anythinig else on the desk always ended up shuffled into one pile. I had to hide all my papers in a desk drawer if I wanted to keep them organized.

On Zuiderdam, we were in a deluxe suite. We had two stewards. They introduced themselves and gave us a card with their names on it. One seemed to do more than the other, or maybe we just saw him around more. They did a very good job.

On Veendam, we had no idea who our steward was, or if we had one or two of them. Nobody ever introduced himself. Some days the beds were not made until well after lunch--and we tend to get up early and put out the "please make up our room sign" so that the steward knows our room is ready for him. We had funny "anyone seen our steward?" conversations with our neighbors. Not the end of the world, didn't ruin my cruise, but probably the worst service we've ever had from a cabin steward.

Archived