Need help understanding the deal with sodas and other beverages onboard.

RuxieGirl

Hi! Sorry if this has been discussed before, I have a hard time navigating these boards sometimes.

We are debating whether or not to get the soda card for the duration of our 7-night cruise on the Carnival Liberty. If we do not get the soda card, can we still get soda during mealtimes? Is it free at mealtimes or is there a charge? If so, how much?

What about other non-alcoholic beverages? Let's say it's 2pm, can I get a glass of milk somewhere at no charge, or will I have to buy it? What about room service?

Thank you for explaining this to me, or directing me to a place that can make this clear.

Room service is free, but a tip is expected. (but you cannot use your soda card to get soda from room service, thats not included, you need to get it from one of the bars with your soda card)

At no time is soda ever free.

If you buy the soda card, its $6 per day per adult, or $4.50 per day per child, PLUS 15% tips, plus if you buy it before you leave port you may be charged the tax that port charges.

You can however, carry on up to 12 sodas or water per person, .. note its carry on only.

Milk is free, and available during meals which have extended times. 2 pm is still lunch ..until 2:30, so just grab a carton at the buffet. .. or pick up some extra if you have a refrig in your cabin. (older ships dont have them). Iced tea and lemonaide is always available and coffee .. 24/7 you can walk into the buffet and get it. Milk is put away, so you cant always find it.

PS one soda I believe costs $1.95 per can plus 15% tip added on automatically.

You can order sodas at any time from any bar or at the table in the MDR. Your sign and sail card will be charged and the customary gratuity added to the bill. Cokes end up costing abourt $2.20 total. So if you do 3 cokes a day (adults) or 2 (kids) the card is worth it. When you order a coke from the bars you receive a 12 oz canned soda and a glass of ice.

I don't drink milk so I can't address that part of your question. I'm sure there's someone out there who can.

Often, if you can find someone working in the buffet, they can get you a carton of milk. You might also be able to order some from room service gratis, just tip them. Seems to me I remember my hubby ordering chocolate cake and milk from room service once or twice.

Often, if you can find someone working in the buffet, they can get you a carton of milk. You might also be able to order some from room service gratis, just tip them. Seems to me I remember my hubby ordering chocolate cake and milk from room service once or twice.

Yes, .. milk is always free, room service is always free .. but they do expect a tip.

soda is not ever free.

well maybe I should say there are things you can order from room service not free, such as bottles of booze and soda.

Im talking about meals, sandwiches, milk and juice on room service .. that is free.

Unless you are picky or have some allergies, etc - you can always find something to drink.

As to the soda card, it is mainly a math question. If planning to drink more than 2 per day per kid, buy the sticker. When possible, wait until sailed away from embarkation port to save on tax (or ask when tax free).

You can buy ala carte sodas just about anytime, as stated above $2.24 each. You get whole can and ice. Includes MDR and Lido, etc.

There may be some ships or lines still using, but I was told that at least CCL has gone to all cans now and no longer have the dispenser style sodas. The dispensers were sometimes flat or would be much less than 12oz, etc.

And as stated above, carry on your favorite. Keep in fridge or have steward ice down a couple each day. Dr. Pepper used to be a rarity, but now with can service, at least ships sailing from the Gulf Coast seem to carry it now.

Clear yet? Bottom line, carry on a 12pack of your favorite - then once on board decide what makes the most sense for you.

My daughter went on the Liberty with her grandmother a few years ago. She had a drink sticker and said it worked on virgin pina coladas too! Is the sticker good on other non-alcoholic drinks beside sodas, or has that changed? She may be mistaken and not realized that a charge was going on the card as it was her grandmother paying for the charges at the end.

My daughter went on the Liberty with her grandmother a few years ago. She had a drink sticker and said it worked on virgin pina coladas too! Is the sticker good on other non-alcoholic drinks beside sodas, or has that changed? She may be mistaken and not realized that a charge was going on the card as it was her grandmother paying for the charges at the end.

I used to hear that kids got frozen virgin smoothies with this but have not read it in a few years. My guess is if it was still being done you would see people post it.

DD likes to order Shirley Temples and those are covered with the soda sticker.

DD likes to order Shirley Temples and those are covered with the soda sticker.

Wow....this brought back some lovely memories!! I did get soda card for DD and DS and they fell in love with Shirley Temples. Funny thing is....they only drank them on cruises.....kind of like those DOD's for me ;) something you do on a cruise but never anywhere else

The above info is all very good an hopefully you can decide what works best for your. I would just like to add that if you do like to have soda for dinner and decide to purchase the Bottomless Bubbles (I think that's what the "soda card" is now being called) then you might want to consider stopping at a bar before dinner and getting your soda to bring with you. The bar servers (who will get soda for dinner) do not always get to your table right away and sometimes it takes a little while before they back with your order....OR bring one of the cans you carry-on with you to the MDR

Just sodas and juices are covered by the soda card. No smoothies or Shirley Temples. Nancy

Our DD's have always been able to get Shirley Temples and Cherry Cokes with their soda stickers.

Maybe it depends on the ship?

Wow....this brought back some lovely memories!! I did get soda card for DD and DS and they fell in love with Shirley Temples. Funny thing is....they only drank them on cruises.....kind of like those DOD's for me ;) something you do on a cruise but never anywhere else

Same here. She's never had one on land. :D

Can you get tomato, bloody Mary mix, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, apple juices, etc. on the soda card?

All of the above except for apple juice. The first five are all available at the bar since they are bar mix juices. I believe you can only get apple juice at breakfast time.

A great drink is to add either pineapple or grapefruit juice to Sprite Zero...very refreshing, even better with a bit of rum.

Don't forget, OP, that you can also replenish your stock of sodas at your ports you stop at. Same restrictions, though, of up to 12 20-oz bottles/cans of non-alcoholic drinks.

What you could also do is pack some Mio (or the Walmart equivalent, as that stuff's pretty good, too!) and just mix it with the ship's water for a little variety throughout the week.

All of the above except for apple juice. The first five are all available at the bar since they are bar mix juices. I believe you can only get apple juice at breakfast time.

A great drink is to add either pineapple or grapefruit juice to Sprite Zero...very refreshing, even better with a bit of rum.

Thank you. It will be nice to sit in the bars and enjoy them. I think it will be worth it.

Replenishing sodas at your ports of call is an EXCELLENT idea! My DH will definitely get the soda card because he is an addict {insert eye roll} but I will pick up a 6-pack of Diet Coke at our ports, thanks!

My son loves the Mio, we'll be bringing that, and I also carry the individual packets of Crystal Light. We get the bottomless bubbles cards (which did cover ST's and RR's on the Legend last year) but it didn't cover "virgin" drinks. I'll also bring some soda onboard (Mt. Dew) and a few diet cokes for me as I need one as soon as get up in the morning and won't go up on deck for one.

Also, for replenishing your drinks, take notice that Coke products are not the same the world over. They vary greatly from place to place, I don't much like the ones you get in Mexico. If you're picky (like me) you might want to try one before you get stuck with a 12 pack of something you don't like.

My son loves the Mio, we'll be bringing that, and I also carry the individual packets of Crystal Light. We get the bottomless bubbles cards (which did cover ST's and RR's on the Legend last year) but it didn't cover "virgin" drinks. I'll also bring some soda onboard (Mt. Dew) and a few diet cokes for me as I need one as soon as get up in the morning and won't go up on deck for one.

Also, for replenishing your drinks, take notice that Coke products are not the same the world over. They vary greatly from place to place, I don't much like the ones you get in Mexico. If you're picky (like me) you might want to try one before you get stuck with a 12 pack of something you don't like.

I take the individual Crystal Light packets whenever we travel. :D Mio would probably be more convenient, but I can't stand it! LOL.

You're right about Coke being different, but we LOVE it in Mexico. There's a restaurant in our area that imports their Coke from Mexico. :p

Don't forget, OP, that you can also replenish your stock of sodas at your ports you stop at. Same restrictions, though, of up to 12 20-oz bottles/cans of non-alcoholic drinks.

What you could also do is pack some Mio (or the Walmart equivalent, as that stuff's pretty good, too!) and just mix it with the ship's water for a little variety throughout the week.

This is what I do whether I'm at home or on vacation. I'm addicted to Kiwi-Strawberry Propel (they sell a box of 10 single packets) and must have it wherever I go. When we went to Europe on our honeymoon I packed a gallon size ziploc bag of them, lol. I plan to do the same on the ship as I drink about 6-10 bottles of water/propel a day. :D:o

Don't recall seeing it posted yet but if you do decide to get the Bottomless Bubbles sticker, make sure you do it on Embarkation day or the day after - after the first full cruise day, you can't purchase it anymore.....

Archived