Anyone take the Regatta Canada/New England cruise?

alexandra cruiser

I m looking at this one for next Fall?

Any info appreciated..re ports,shore excursions,Montreal hotels,, all details would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance..have been on Insignia a few yrs.ago,,but not Regatta(but similar it seems).;)

Well, Montreal hotels is a big topic. Perhaps you might find info in the Port section of CC? How long will you be in Montreal, and what do you want to do? I'm staying at the IC next weekend--I can report back how that is.

I suggest you check this years roll calls for this route for ideas. Also O's website will have excursions posted for the 2012's.

We are visiting the 2 Maine sites and some of Canada on the 9/11 Lisbon to NYC Regatta cruise. Regatta gets the colder routes partially because it, alone, has heaters for the pool deck and terrace areas.

ship had only 1 PH 1 left,,and for NEXT year...wow...

Have been on Insignia,,but never PH suite...look forward to it...the veranda ones are small and hated the tiny bathroom and shower...so went for upgrade.

Re..Montreal hotels,,really want something in $250 or so range in downtown area...is the port near there or out of town?

Did check,,but no roll calls for this cruise yet,,will have to start one.:)

ship had only 1 PH 1 left,,and for NEXT year...wow...

Have been on Insignia,,but never PH suite...look forward to it...the veranda ones are small and hated the tiny bathroom and shower...so went for upgrade.

Re..Montreal hotels,,really want something in $250 or so range in downtown area...is the port near there or out of town?

Did check,,but no roll calls for this cruise yet,,will have to start one.:)

Which cruise did you sign up for? We already have a roll call for the October 6, 2013 sailing from New York to Montreal.

You will love the PH -- the extra space is wonderful and the itinerary is fantastic (we've done it before on a different line) and we are really looking forward to it again.

Billie

and put it on roll call section.

Glad the PH worth it...still waiting for new brochure to see more details.

Got it for extra room,,plus love a bathtub and full,hot breakfast...the other perks are nice too.

Not sure about costs for shore excursions,,,see them listed,,but no price.

Also,,,not getting drinks package,,,cheaper for us by glass,,if desired.

Know weather may be cool,rainy or both,,,from MI...now in FL...and will be a change from here.:)

• 4 weeks later...
read the last 2 on member review section on Regatta,,and not very good???

Anyone have recent trips on this ship to share??:confused:

Sounds like someone did not do their research before booking the cruises ;)

I m looking at this one for next Fall?

Any info appreciated..re ports,shore excursions,Montreal hotels,, all details would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance..have been on Insignia a few yrs.ago,,but not Regatta(but similar it seems).;)

Here is my list of Top Montreal Hotels, they are all situated in the Old Port which is where the ship will dock, most are within a short walk/taxi ride.

-Le St.James

-Le Saint Sulpice

-Hotel Nelligan

-Hotel Raphael

-Hotel Place D'Armes

-Hotel St.Paul

They are beautiful, luxury, boutique style hotels with an Old World charm and the location is fantastic.

If you want a more classic style hotel in the same Old Port area there is

-Spring Hill Suites Mariott

-Embassy Suites Old Mtl

-The W Hotel

Note: regarding your concern for the Regatta (reviews) having cruised the 3 R ships I feel you can't go wrong with any O ship.

Bon Voyage

read the last 2 on member review section on Regatta,,and not very good???

Anyone have recent trips on this ship to share??:confused:

We were on the Regatta on the 25-day Sydney to Papeete cruise just this last March/April, 2012. We have been on it before (in 2007) plus also on the Nautica, Insignia, and Marina. The Regatta was wonderful with the staff especially good (kudos to Maria who is the H.R. person on board and responsible for the training) and the food wonderful as always. The only problem happened with the computers that control all of the power on the ship -- we lost power one day for several hours from about 4p-8p. The engineers worked like demons to fix the problem and the chefs and kitchen staff really outdid themselves to fix us a dinner with NO electricity. It was an eventful time but most of the passengers seemed to handle it well. We were never in any danger and by bedtime, we had lights on again in the cabins and the ship was moving toward our next port. The whole situation was handled very well and O made a great PR effort by opening the bars for two hours for free drinks! :D

I haven't read the reviews that you were referring to but I see no reason to say negative things about the Regatta -- it was a wonderful cruise and no different from any others on Oceania (except for the power situation).

We are also booked on the Regatta in 2013 and we are looking forward to it! I wouldn't worry about yours -- you will have a great time.

Billie

Sounds like someone did not do their research before booking the cruises ;)

+1

Two comments about those reviews:

First reviewer has 5 reviews - all pretty negative (one as bad as 1/5)

The second one wants to re-evaluate Oceania in 20-30 years - by that time, if they are lucky, they'll be 80 & 100 years old. I give them credit for their optimism :D

Regarding reviews, I tend to read them with reservations. Usually I don't know the person who is writing the review, and I don't know what the situations were that may have caused the criticism.

The review may be spot on, but I just don't put much emphasis on it. It's something to bear in mind but I wouldn't NOT take a ship because someone has complaints.

There are times when you can see sour grapes quite clearly. Other times you cannot. If a review is totally negative, I discard it.

But if I see a negative review about a ship or a meal or a movie that I loved, I don't necessarily change MY opinion.

If I loved Regatta years ago but haven't been aboard her since, then I have to consider that the negative comments MAY be justified. But that probably wouldn't stop me from sailing on her again -- unless there were negative comments from lots of people. Especially if some of those were from people whose opinions I value.

Mura

Montreal is a fascinating city. If you can take the noshing tour--you have to find it on the net--it is sooo fun and really good. And you need to take a City tour to see this lovely City. Don't forget the underground mall. My husband and I love Montreal and would do it again in a heartbeat.

and feel much better about my choice..

Hotel and city info much appreciated...will look into them and stay in Old town as suggested.

Had been on Insignia,,and this is the sister ship,,,so "assumed" it would be similar,,,and we like that one..

Hopefully the complaints have been dealt with my NEXT yr...

Every cruise seems to have "something" not perfect to someone,,right?

Look forward to this Falls cruise reviews for same itinerary.:)

Hopefully the complaints have been dealt with my NEXT yr...

Every cruise seems to have "something" not perfect to someone,,right?

Look forward to this Falls cruise reviews for same itinerary.:)

Just curious

What complaints that you read about were of concern to you??

Lyn

they complained about shore excursions,poor service in cabin,library with old books,mediocre entertainment,,etc...it was just published,so I read it after I had booked.Only got 2 stars from them.whew??? a little HARSH,,but it was THEIR experience.

The review did mention the food was good...something.

It s just got me worrying about it...but above posters made me feel better.

I always go by itinerary FIRST,,and this one had best ports for us,,and good dates to sail...did look at many others.Also, upgraded to PH so maybe that will a plus.

Also,,not till NEXT yr....but many cabins booked already.;)

they complained about shore excursions,poor service in cabin,library with old books,mediocre entertainment,,etc...it was just published,so I read it after I had booked.Only got 2 stars from them.whew??? a little HARSH,,but it was THEIR experience.

The entertainment is not big flashy shows true

Books ..well it depends on what you like to read but I never have a problem finding something & you can always bring your own;)

If the cabin service they got that was so bad they should have complained to the housekeeping manager

Booking one of the smallest cabins on the ship then complaining about the size is a no brainer :rolleyes:

Yup everyone has their expectations of how things SHOULD be but in real life it rarely works like that :D

Hope you enjoy your cruise

Lyn

The review did mention the food was good...something.

It s just got me worrying about it...but above posters made me feel better.

I always go by itinerary FIRST,,and this one had best ports for us,,and good dates to sail...did look at many others.Also, upgraded to PH so maybe that will a plus.

Also,,not till NEXT yr....but many cabins booked already.;)

If you are like the most of us, your biggest problem after sailing with Oceania will be how to sail with another cruise line afterwards :D

Of course, to each their own.

• 5 weeks later...

the Regatta is a wonderful ship. So well appointed. The staff was great. I had a Vista Suite and my butler was non-existent, but that isn't the whole ship. It is beautiful. The food is great. The restaurants are great and if you can figure out how to get around the two bookings each, go for it. We just loved Oceania. I don't like the price of the drinks, but we went down just at the end of happy hour and had a decent drink for $8 instead of a puny one for $8. So that is how it is. One of the best looking ships at sea.

• 4 months later...

and asking for some advice re.ea. Know there is info re private tours on Ports section,but what about ship excursions in these?

Quebec city

Corner Brook,Newfoundland

Charlottetown,PEI

Sydney,Nova Scotia

Halifax,NS

St John,New Brunswick

BarHarbor,Maine

Rockland,Maine.

Newport,RI

Any ones that stand out, those to avoid,etc. Think I may try shore excursion package to at least try out SOME of them and do rest on own.Any info would be helpful, not going till Sept 24th.Thank in advance.;)

Archived