What clothes are appropriate for Spain & Italy during November?

HAYWIREDON

My wife & I are sailing on the Maasdam's 42 day cruise to Spain, Italy, etc during October & November 2012. We have cruised many times, but have never been to Europe. What clothing should we take in addition to the standard clothing required aboard ship for dining, formal, etc.? I checked the average temperatures online, but is it normally rainy, overcast, snowy, sunny, humid, dry during late October and November? I would appreciate hearing experiances and observations from anyone who has been there during there during these months.

We have always had good weather in October. We will be there again this October and November. Google American Express weather-they have a site that will provide you with the data you are looking for-on a day by day historical basis.

In October we have had anything from warm in the daytime all the way to cooler in the evening requiring a sweater. It aslo depend where in Italy you happen to be.

We have experienced very warm daytime weather in Spain and Turkey during October. If you are doing Oct and Nov I would pack with layered clothing.

:) We took that cruise Nov 2011 to Dec 2011 45 days and the weather was absolutely gorgeous warm days cool nights only one day in Gibralter it rained about half the day and was chilly, but when the sun came out in the afternoon it really warmed up. Never needed a jacket the whole time. I Got a swim in the aft pool everyday including the chilly day in Gibralter as the aft pool was slightly heated.

Whenever I've been in the Med in October and November, the temperatures have ranged from hot, to too hot, to what the blazes. :eek:

Summer clothes were fine for daytime.

While you can get Indian Summer weather in October, it can be dark, cold and rainy. November is often the wettest month. But when the sun is out and dry, it will be very pleasant but most likely with a sweater and jacket. Layers but prepare for rain - intermittent showers.

We find often we just need a windbreaker and natural fabric layers: wool and silk rather than a heavy jacket and then pack along a scarf, hat gloves and for me always ear muffs and we have just what we need for 99% of what weather throws at us.

And if it gets nastier than that, we just don't go out in it. But if you want to weather the heaviest of rain, then a Gortex rain suit is light and easily packable too with waterproof shoes.

The more north you go in Italy the darker and shorter the days become - look at the latitude of Italy - around Canada and Newfoundland. Continental weather in the interior and easter side, mediterranean weather on the west coasts.

In Italy the leisure dress is jeans.

Just a tip: wool is more comfortable if it gets wet. Silk and wool will give you the best weather insulation, even when wet. If you do hit heavy rain showers.

Wet denim jeans can be problematic, but they are fashion forward in Italy and the more torn the better having seen this on a very young lady with spike heels and a low slung top in one of the best restaurants in Verona.

We had really cold and wet weather in Venice towards the end of Oct. last year. The further south we sailed, the better the weather became. Capri pants are a good option for the warmer areas, as it can be layered as needed and covers the body suitably should you step into buildings requiring appropriate covering. A thin pashmina is always a good travel staple in the Med.

Jeans, jeans, jeans! Now mind you, we are in our 60s so are not saying that because we are kids. But for your days ashore that time of year you will be in very good company if you wear a decent pair of jeans, comfy footware, and the appropriate top for the temperature of the day. DW thinks it is a bit sad, but Europeans no longer are as stylish as in years past and many have adopted the American look of jeans with sneakers (although I personally will wear sandals unless its too cold). In Italy we will sometimes see nice jeans paired with expensive shoes (no socks of course).

Hank

In the family of my husband in Sicily, everyone was dressed in jeans all the time. The only exception was aunty who is about 72, who wore skirts or slacks of other fabrics. Uncle, aged 82, down to the baby of the family aged 2, were always in their jeans.

Bring a jacket or sweater It was warm in Spain FREEZING in Florence I caught bronchitis it was so cold

Bring stuff you could layer Its the easiest I found nice sweaters in Palma bought I few and I did use them

Venice will likely be on the cool side while Rome could well be quite warm. I would count on layers as others have mentioned.

For all of Italy, the most comfortable walking shoes you can find are a must. Rubber soles are great on the cobbles. Don't think fashion for your feet. Think practical and comfortable. You will be so happy you chose good footwear.

Enjoy. That's a fabulous cruise visiting wonderful places on a great ship. :)

Just a tip: wool is more comfortable if it gets wet. Silk and wool will give you the best weather insulation, even when wet. If you do hit heavy rain showers.

Wet denim jeans can be problematic, but they are fashion forward in Italy and the more torn the better having seen this on a very young lady with spike heels and a low slung top in one of the best restaurants in Verona.

Oh my gosh, I can't think of anything worse than wet wool. It makes me cringe just thinking of it :(

Oh my gosh, I can't think of anything worse than wet wool. It makes me cringe just thinking of it :(

There are other choices, but wool still ranks high for maintaining insulation, even when wet. Cotton does not. There are various online references to types of fabrics and wet/dry insulation properties. Wiki is as good as any to start this search:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layered_clothing

Being a hiker and having been caught out in the open in the rain, I can attest to the value and warmth of wool when it gets wet, soaking wet. Plus, horrors of horrors, if every faced by the choices the recent Costa ship passengers had to face - a midnight jump in the drink - do think about putting on as much wool as possible, esp socks and cap. :eek:

Agree, wet wool can smell like a wet dog but it really does keep body heat with its small air-pockets and lanolin coatings.

Thank you for the advise and information. My wife and I are from Texas, so we have plenty of jeans. An Armani jacket might be a good finishing touch.

Well I can appreciate springing a grand at least for the Armani jacket can put a dent in the cruise budget, they do offer a few more downscale items to wear with jeans too: http://www.armaniexchange.com/product/leopard+print+cardigan%3Cbr%3Eonline+exclusive.do?sortby= Of course, this is the before hitting the Lido buffet for eggs benedicts every morning photo.

How does $68 sound and right, how does one know if they are getting the real deal ..... except a real Armani does feel like the real deal. :cool: Time to hit the consignment shops? :confused:

We have a similar issue. We are out of our house Aug. 30 and travel in NA for several weeks.

We start in northern Portugal in early October and then travel to Italy. After that it is a Med cruise, then a week in Northern Italy, then a month in South Africa, followed by 4 Nov. days in Rome, then a TA stopping stopping in several Med. cities. Afer that a week or two in Florida and perhaps a month in Costa Rica or Panama. Then back to the cold north.

For me, it has to fit into a 21" roller, DW has a little more room in her 24". The jeans won't go this time as I suspect we may only need them for a few days. Probably cotton slacks, a sweater, and a jacket. Layers!

This will be the first time that I have not packed the night before or the morning of the flight. It requires some thoughtful planning. This planful approach will please DW.

• 1 month later...

So glad I found this thread, thanks for the great advice so far. We are staying in Italy for about 7 weeks before catching the Noordam for a TA back to the States. I need some advice on packing for my husband. We will have 7 days at sea the end of October/early November. Should I bother packing shorts for the ship (I know now to pack them for Italy:)? What should I pack for strolling the ship on those days at sea? Does it get cool in the middle of the Atlantic that time of year?

We are in Rome in early October and again in late November. We need to pack light for various reasons. It will be jeans, and layered clothing-shirt, light sweater, and a light water rep. jacket. Don't expect to be caught in the elements for any period of time. And what we don't have we can buy. We will also have shorts....just in case.

The norm in Europe is jeans jeans jeans. Now we know some folks do not like jeans, but that is the current trend throughout Europe. And of course Jeans are perfect in Oct and Nov. As to tops, we just wear whatever works with the weather ranging from short sleeves to sweaters to sweaters and a jacket.

Hank

Archived