Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Geocruiser,

Thank you, I really hope they so. I am making the ribbons and the paper flowers in their school colors.

Those are so neat looking. They look so comfy.

I have found with sewing the sizes aren't any where the same as what we buy in the store. It is like the shorts I made last week-I wear a size 12 usually so I made the shorts in a 14, allowing for room if I needed to take them up, well they were so small I can't get above my knees! I guess my daughter has a new pair of shorts. (she wears a size 2)

Gerry

In my post I meant to say that there should be at least 9 inches extra on each side for the tie.

I all so question why pattern sizes were not the same as ready to wear.

Here is the answer that I found.

https://www.simplicity.com/t-sewing-101-part2.aspx

All the sewers out there, what are you working on? I will start a pair of pants soon.. We just had a move so, I have not had a chance to sew.

Going this weekend to get fabric to make curtains for our new house. Our bedroom first (3 windows), FIL's second (4 windows) then living room, sewing room and dining room. Our room is first because it faces east and I am NOT a morning person. FIL usually sleeps in his recliner in the living room, so his room is second. That ought to keep me busy for a bit.

I think DH donated a big box of sewing supplies to good will. It was with the boxes to go to the storage unit, but I didn't see it there. I went to GW, but they couldn't help me. I'm not even sure what was in the box other than lots of fabric, a new, fairly full bolt of interfacing and a few patterns. I'm more upset about the box stuffed full of souvenir pins my daughters and I had collected for more than 20 years. From all over the world. And the best part? He blames me. Men. . .:rolleyes:

Going this weekend to get fabric to make curtains for our new house. Our bedroom first (3 windows), FIL's second (4 windows) then living room, sewing room and dining room. Our room is first because it faces east and I am NOT a morning person. FIL usually sleeps in his recliner in the living room, so his room is second. That ought to keep me busy for a bit.

I think DH donated a big box of sewing supplies to good will. It was with the boxes to go to the storage unit, but I didn't see it there. I went to GW, but they couldn't help me. I'm not even sure what was in the box other than lots of fabric, a new, fairly full bolt of interfacing and a few patterns. I'm more upset about the box stuffed full of souvenir pins my daughters and I had collected for more than 20 years. From all over the world. And the best part? He blames me. Men. . .:rolleyes:

That is a lot of work to do all those windows. I did that in our last house. We just moved out of state and I am not doing windows again. We are till unpacking too.

About the boxes that got sent to GW. Is there a central number that you can call to see if they received them. It must first go to a center first before being sent to their stores. I hope that it show up in your storage unit.

I think that I need to buy a dress form to make a dress for our cruise. An am finding that working with out one seems to be hard for me (not that I ever worked with one before). So, I would love to know if you use a dress form when you sew, what make did you buy, and is it easier to sew using one?

Geoecruiser,

I have a dress form that I purchased at walmart.com. To be truthful I used it once and found it harder to work with then it was worth so it sits in the spare bedroom with a couple of necklaces on it. I guess I just need to use it and get used to using it.

Mist of the patterns I make are simple patterns so nothing that I desperately need the form for.

I cut another maxi skirt out today before I left to go babysit my granddaughters. I will try to get started on it tonight but have to help granddaughter with homework and get them fed before Mom gets here.

Hope you have a great day sewing,

Gerry

Geoecruiser,

I have a dress form that I purchased at walmart.com. To be truthful I used it once and found it harder to work with then it was worth so it sits in the spare bedroom with a couple of necklaces on it. I guess I just need to use it and get used to using it.

Mist of the patterns I make are simple patterns so nothing that I desperately need the form for.

I cut another maxi skirt out today before I left to go babysit my granddaughters. I will try to get started on it tonight but have to help granddaughter with homework and get them fed before Mom gets here.

Hope you have a great day sewing,

Gerry

I think I might get one. I tried to pin a pattern on me and I just found it too hard to make a adjustments. Now I will have to check out the different makes.

I love maxi skirts. Is it a store bought pattern? With the right fabric a maxi can be worn on formal nights.

It is a store pattern, but I am sorry my fingers go faster than my brain sometimes. It was a maxi dress not a skirt. The material is white with gold printing on it. It was some Hawaiian material I got several years ago while we were in Hawaii and decided it would be perfect. I'll post a pic when I get it done this weekend.

I have to agree if you use the right material and the right accessories a maxi skirt is cute for formal night.

Good luck with the dress form.

Have a great night,

Gerry

Good evening fellow sewers,

I finished my maxi today and it came out really cute.

ImageUploadedByForums1431131024.495602.jpg.63f83690bf0cf6ae82eaf05a0dc70372.jpg

Sorry I hit the button too quick and had to go bac here is a shot of a close-up of the pattern in the dres

ImageUploadedByForums1431131151.044311.jpg.603a91a8a9f390f834b0a06893227064.jpg

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Good evening fellow sewers,

I finished my maxi today and it came out really cute.

[ATTACH]348711[/ATTACH]

Sorry I hit the button too quick and had to go bac here is a shot of a close-up of the pattern in the dres

[ATTACH]348712[/ATTACH]

Hope everyone has a great weekend

Gerry

You are fast. It came out beautiful. I like the fabric. Did it have a zipper?

I have not started on mine yet. Doing lots of cleaning and unpacking with the new house move. We now live close to family and one of my nieces sews a lot. So now I her and I can go fabric shopping.

That is a lot of work to do all those windows. I did that in our last house. We just moved out of state and I am not doing windows again. We are till unpacking too.

About the boxes that got sent to GW. Is there a central number that you can call to see if they received them. It must first go to a center first before being sent to their stores. I hope that it show up in your storage unit.

I've not actually made drapes before. The friend that helps with my sewing suggested just making a bag with the darkening fabric. I was trying to get all fancy and fold the fabric over the darkening. Stripes will make it easy to make the bag. I was only able to get enough to make two (of three) sets, but was able to order enough for the third. And it was 50% off! Even better. I have two weekends to get it done. None of the other rooms will need the darkening shades. I also picked up curtain rods, so I'd make the right size pocket. That could be a disaster!

I got the idea that GW really didn't want to give me the time of day. I'm just hoping it shows up.

I've not actually made drapes before. The friend that helps with my sewing suggested just making a bag with the darkening fabric. I was trying to get all fancy and fold the fabric over the darkening. Stripes will make it easy to make the bag. I was only able to get enough to make two (of three) sets, but was able to order enough for the third. And it was 50% off! Even better. I have two weekends to get it done. None of the other rooms will need the darkening shades. I also picked up curtain rods, so I'd make the right size pocket. That could be a disaster!

I got the idea that GW really didn't want to give me the time of day. I'm just hoping it shows up.

It sounds like a lot of work. I hope it turns out great.

• 4 weeks later...

I've lurked here and posted only a few times...

Does anyone here use a serger much?

I think that my serger is capable of doing what they call a coverstitch. I'm going to rehem a formal dress that is a polyester jersey...could have some rayon too. Anyway...the current hem stitch is a coverstitch and I want to sew a new hem just like the old one.

Anyone done this before? Any tips?

I think that my serger is capable of doing what they call a coverstitch. I'm going to rehem a formal dress that is a polyester jersey...could have some rayon too. Anyway...the current hem stitch is a coverstitch and I want to sew a new hem just like the old one.

I have a serger. But it is a four thread, I think that you must have a five thread. The cover stitch should be great.

here is a video of the coverstitch.

When I first tried doing coverstitch hems with my serger, it was really frustrating trying to keep the stitches precisely centered over the edge of the folded-up fabric because I couldn't see it. It was so easy to move the tiniest bit in the wrong direction and fail to catch the hem in a few places.

Then I found out that the trick was to sew just a bit closer toward the fold than the width of the hem, and then trim off any excess fabric on the wrong side right next to the stitches. (For example, fold up 3/4" on the wrong side stitch at 5/8" on the right side, and then trim off the extra 1/8" on the wrong side.)

Also, be sure to start sewing with the fabric under the needle.

When I first tried doing coverstitch hems with my serger, it was really frustrating trying to keep the stitches precisely centered over the edge of the folded-up fabric because I couldn't see it. It was so easy to move the tiniest bit in the wrong direction and fail to catch the hem in a few places.

Then I found out that the trick was to sew just a bit closer toward the fold than the width of the hem, and then trim off any excess fabric on the wrong side right next to the stitches. (For example, fold up 3/4" on the wrong side stitch at 5/8" on the right side, and then trim off the extra 1/8" on the wrong side.)

Also, be sure to start sewing with the fabric under the needle.

Great idea. What kind of serger do you have?

Great idea. What kind of serger do you have?

Babylock Evolve. When I first started shopping for sergers, I was intimidated by the posts and videos about threading. Babylock had the easiest threading system for sergers. It was pricy so I started with a refurbished one, then traded it in for a newer upgraded model a few years later.

Babylock Evolve. When I first started shopping for sergers, I was intimidated by the posts and videos about threading. Babylock had the easiest threading system for sergers. It was pricy so I started with a refurbished one, then traded it in for a newer upgraded model a few years later.

I heard that the Baby lock has air thread. I must be easy to thread. I have a Viking serger that I love. Threading is easy once I got use to it.

• 5 weeks later...

How are all the sewers doing? I just finished another skirt and bag for my cruise in the winter. It is a nautical pattern with anchors on it. Now I am working on a pair of seersucker pants. I just embroidered dolphins on the pockets. Now I have to put the pants together. I also did buy a dress form and have to set it up. It is not the best but it should work. I have to take pictures of my sewing in the next week or two to post.

What have all of you been up to?

How are all the sewers doing? I just finished another skirt and bag for my cruise in the winter. It is a nautical pattern with anchors on it. Now I am working on a pair of seersucker pants. I just embroidered dolphins on the pockets. Now I have to put the pants together. I also did buy a dress form and have to set it up. It is not the best but it should work. I have to take pictures of my sewing in the next week or two to post.

What have all of you been up to?

I finally got fed up converting my serger to coverstitch and back again multiple times...so I splurged and bought a coverstitch machine. All it does is a basic 2- or 3-needle coverstitch, but it will save so much time (and frustration)!

Now I'm trying to make my own pattern from a purchased skirt that I really like. The first attempt came out a mess, but I have hopes the second try will work. :)

I'm so happy to see this thread! I have been a member of PattenReview since 04. I am really new to cruising, and the only thing I took with me that was handmade was a pair of swimsuit bottoms that I made a million years ago.

My next cruise is coming up next June. Maybe I should get started now? :D

I'm so happy to see this thread! I have been a member of PattenReview since 04. I am really new to cruising, and the only thing I took with me that was handmade was a pair of swimsuit bottoms that I made a million years ago.

My next cruise is coming up next June. Maybe I should get started now? :D

Welcome to the thread.

I also like Pattern review a lot. I now check out my patterns there before I sew. Lots of great info there.

JDinWA,

Congrats on buying a cover stitch machine. Is it easy to thread? I did not know that they made machines that only did cover stitches. What brand is it?

Edited by geocruiser

JDinWA,

Congrats on buying a cover stitch machine. Is it easy to thread? I did not know that they made machines that only did cover stitches. What brand is it?

Both Babylock and Janome make coverstitch machines. (I think there are others but I know for sure those two do.) The Babylock is about 3 times the price -- I bought the Janome. :) It's a Coverpro CP1000.

Since my serger is Babylock, I was worried about the difficulty of threading the Janome (Babylock makes it so easy), and it is a bit more fiddly than a Babylock but not difficult. The tension is easier to manage than on a Babylock.

Funny you mentioned PatternReview -- I read through a bunch of the machine posts there before deciding on the Janome!