Food in Venice

flamomo

I'll be staying in Venice for 2 days precruise in October near the Piazzale Roma, but of course expect to be out and about sightseeing in the city.

I'm seeking suggestions for places to eat ... not the most expensive, but not "greasy spoons" or tourist traps either. I enjoy a variety of Italian foods, as well as good pizza.

Thanks!!

I hope you have at least one other stop in Italy beyond Venice, because pizza is not what Venice is known for. Certainly you can find it, but ... well, I'd focus more on Venetian cuisine while there.

Agreed. Cuisine in Italy is very regional.

I enjoy polenta alle seppie, a local dish made using the black ink from the seppie.

I also enjoyFegato alla Veneziana, calves liver Venetian style.

To elaborate a little on the Venetian cuisine.....it is very different than what most Americans think of as Italian. (We tend to think of more southern Italian dishes, e.g., the pastas, pizza, tomato sauce, garlic, etc.)

Take a look at the article below, particularly the section on Venice and the lagoon, if you want to become familiar with some of the local Venetian dishes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_cuisine

While you may be able to find good pizza in Venice, unfortunately less-than-stellar pizza places abound and cater mostly to tourists.

For lunches, just scan the panini that are in the windows of the bars as you walk. If you see something that looks good, go in and buy it. Stand at the counter and eat it, or take it to go. Cheap and tasty!

Can anyone tell me if there are restaurants that serve a steak or a burger??? I know that sounds crazy but my DH is not an Italian food fan. We will be there 3 days so I'd like to at least get him 1 or 2 meals that aren't pizza.

Food in Italy, and particularly in Venice, is unlike the Italian food you find in the States. I think he will be pleasantly surprised.

That said, if all else fails, there's always the ubiquitous McDonalds.

There's one in Cannaregio, on Strada Nuova.

Lots to eat and enjoy in Venice. One secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

Below are some visuals for some ideas and options. Here's a couple we've like in the past:

Taverna La Fenice, Campiello de la Fenice 1938; next to fire-damaged, but re-opened Opera House, wonderful food; if nice weather, you can dine outside

Restoranti da Raffaele, Calle larga XXII Marzo 2347, phone: 041/523-2317, right along side of canal, wonderful food and great setting; if nice, hopefully can dine outside.

You might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 11,000 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 91,610 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a wider shot of the canal and the Da Raffaelle dining location. Their website is: http://www.ristorantedaraffaele.com/index-eng.htm We dined here last June 2011 and May 1999. It is right on the path you follow between St. Mark's and the Accademia.:

VeniceRestoraniWideCanal2011.jpg

Having an overnight there allows time to sample the evening orchestras on San Marco Square playing to the crowds. Great fun at night in a wonderful setting.:

VeniceSanMarcoNightBand.jpg

Don't miss the sail-in and/or sail-out. As we sailed into Venice on the Solstice, here is one of the views up a smaller canal, with a stone bridge, people and various buildings providing that great sampling of this unique city’s charm and architecture. It is much more just a few historic buildings there. It’s all over!:

VeniceUpCanalBldgsBridge.jpg

Food in Italy, and particularly in Venice, is unlike the Italian food you find in the States. I think he will be pleasantly surprised.

That said, if all else fails, there's always the ubiquitous McDonalds.

There's one in Cannaregio, on Strada Nuova.

He'll be eating McDonalds alone......LOL

I should clarify. My husband eats no sauces or gravies on any of his food which always makes it difficult to eat Italian food anywhere with him unless they have meat.

Back in May we had a group dinner at a restaurant just north of the Rialto Bridge, the name was Al Nono Risorto. They had tables both inside and out. I had a sea bass that was terrific. Some of the group had pizza and they seemed happy too. Service was little slow but we weren't in any hurry as it was a beautiful evening. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He'll be eating McDonalds alone......LOL

I should clarify. My husband eats no sauces or gravies on any of his food which always makes it difficult to eat Italian food anywhere with him unless they have meat.

Italian food as cooked in Italy is surprisingly short of sauces. Only pasta and pizza normally comes with a sauce, and even then it's sparing by American standards.

How does your husband feel about fish? Fish is everywhere in Venice, but it's not that hard to find a restaurant with meat. Normally the menu is divided into couses, although the typical foods for each vary by the region. Antipasto - bits of cold meat/fish/seafood or cheese, hot shellfish, perhaps toasted bruschetta or crostini. Primo Piatto: Soup, pasta, often polenta in the north, including Venice. Secondo Piatto: Grilled, fried, baked, or even boiled meat/fish. Contorno: Seasonal vegetables, boiled or sometimes baked with breadcrumbs, green or mixed salad, fries or oven roasted potatoes.

Last time I was there, we ate at Barababao, because we had a non-fish, non-pasta-eater with us, and he enjoyed his dinner.

Have fun, I'm sure you'll find lots of nice food!

Thanks. No my husband only eats Salmon so fish won't help him either. He is definitely a meat and potatos man. I am 1/2 Italian so I'll have no problem eating. I had the best Pasta in Lucca a few years ago and am looking forward to more wonderful experiences.

I'll get him some pastry if necessary. LOL

Thanks for the help all

We liked the dorsoduro area, away from the crowds. We just walked around and stopped when something looked good. Never took very long. ;)

A tip: Be careful with the menus, some dishes are for 2 people. If you don't realize it you can wind up with way too much food, or feel like a dish is too expensive.

One thing about venice is that even if you get a great recommendation it is going to be really difficult to find that restaurant. Venice is a maze of streets. We found it was best to ask the hotel for recommendations and directions to close by restaurants.

During the day there are heaps of little shops and bakeries selling food and pizza that you can see before you buy so your dh will be fine.

Archived