Overpriced rccl excursions

I think I booked excursions through the ship on my very first cruise in 1999. I quickly learned that you can do the same things on your own and cheaper and I've never booked through the cruiselines since that time. They do mark their excursions up, it's a business.

In probably 15-20 off the ship excursions on my own, I've never been late for a return to a ship, actually not even close.

We will always do our own excursion booking.

It all depends on the port. If I am going a distance in an unfamiliar country I usually book through the ship. I would not put a price on someones comfort level. If you do not want to book through the ship that is your choice, but please do not assume the people who do are stupid.

I simply wanted to know why the tour was so overpriced.

If people are willing to pay the price they ask, it is NOT overpriced. While it is certainly true that you can often get a similar tour independently for considerably less, not everyone is adventuresome enough to attempt that in a strange or unfamiliar location. It should be pretty common knowledge that anytime a middle man (in this case the cruiseline) is involved in a transaction a mark-up in the price to the consumer is inevitable. If the cruiseline can get someone to pay for the "overpriced" tour, they would be foolish to charge less. The old adage "caveat emptor" still applies.

It all depends on the port. If I am going a distance in an unfamiliar country I usually book through the ship. I would not put a price on someones comfort level. If you do not want to book through the ship that is your choice, but please do not assume the people who do are stupid.

Very good post!!! :)

Exactly! Comfort level could be the security of a cruise line excursion but comfort level could also include passengers that aren't looking for a bargain and don't care about price. I know it's hard for some to believe but there are passengers out there that are willing to pay asking price just because they can afford it. That being said, the latter of course would not be me.:(

Just to do the .02 devil's advocate routine here....

I have used private and ship tours both. It has turned into my habit to research both ways for every port I visit. In doing so, I've found good and bad on both sides. On a cruise aboard Serenade, we could not find a local operator at any port that was cheaper than the ship for the same tours. So that trip was entirely through the ship.

Last cruise, on Mariner, 2 out of 3 were private and one through the ship.

Next cruise, so far is looking like it will be mostly private with one or two ship tours. With 6 ports, I have plenty to research!

Many ship sponsored tours have evolved into a cattle car type situation. You get off the ship and get herded to the next available taxi, and it only moves when it is filled with 30 or so other people. You then get a set itinerary, with x number of minutes at each stop.

Under that scenario, if you don't really care about one stop, but would like to use that time to increase the time at a different stop. Tough luck, you only get the canned tour

Under this new option, you can do the above scenario without going independent. Plus you know RCCL has an idea that you are on a ship tour and in theory know if you are running late.

Having said that and based on the some of prices I have seen for independent tours, RCCL probably has priced these tours high. If not enough people buy, they will either lower the cost or drop the tours entirely

I agree. We used to try and shop for price but after some really bizarre and hair raising experiences, we now just book through the ship.

We had one of those on a private excursion in Cartagena! Never again - we just use ship excursions!

To the OP:

You cannot post stuff on this site that makes RC appear negative no matter how ridiculous or crazy it is.

Many who frequent this site are basically brainwashed into believing RC can do no wrong.

Logic & Common sense will not beat loyalty...

To the OP:

You cannot post stuff on this site that makes RC appear negative no matter how ridiculous or crazy it is.

Many who frequent this site are basically brainwashed into believing RC can do no wrong.

I don't really think that is happening here. The OP is surprised that ship-borne excursions are overpriced and surprised by it, but no one else is. Substitute Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Norwegian etc for Royal...and we still wouldn't be surprised. The OP would be.

To the OP:

But then we always have you to present the opposite (negative) side, logic or common sense be damned.:rolleyes:

I would definitely lean towards taking the cruise lines shore excursions in a country like Mexico where the safety regulations are few and far between. At least I know that RCCL has checked out the trip providers and I am sure that make them meet some standards that RCCL has established. YOu have no idea whose cab you are getting into when you just go on your own. Do any of you remember back a few years ago when several cruisers were killed when a bus went off a cliff in a non ship related tour that had been contracted for privately by a group of the cruisers. It was determined later that the brakes on the bus were bad. THey don't have safety inspections in foreign countries like we do here in the US.

We have done both private and ship's tours. Had a really close call with a private tour in Scotland...was a nervous wreck. We made the ship but another couple didn't. They hired the pilot boat and jumped from the pilot boat onto the ship. We had just arrived in Santiago via a Princess Cruise when a tourist bus went over the side of a mountain and many were killed. It was a private tour with passengers from a Celebrity ship.. This accident flashed around the world and our kids were plenty worried. They were immediately on the phone with each other. Finally one of them said...the folks would never take a private tour in South America......We weren't able to contact them until we got to Lima but they were ok knowing our habits.

Just to add to my previous comments. A passenger on Rhapsody died while on a INDEPENDENT kayaking expedition on Mendanhall Lake. His kayak overturned and he went into the water. By the time his family pulled him out he was dead. Wonder how much $$$ they saved by booking this independent excursion??

Are we comparing apples to apples here ?

Do we know what requirements RCI might place on tour operators regarding liability insurance and the like ?

Is the private operator properly insured etc ?

Maybe there's age-of-vehicle requirements and so on, I don't know but I do know comparisons sometimes aren't as simple as they first appear.

Just to add to my previous comments. A passenger on Rhapsody died while on a INDEPENDENT kayaking expedition on Mendanhall Lake. His kayak overturned and he went into the water. By the time his family pulled him out he was dead. Wonder how much $$$ they saved by booking this independent excursion??

Wow!

The man was 62. He was kayaking. He fell ill, probably had a heart attack. It was then that he and the kayak went over.

At the time, he was being assisted and being taken to shore. When he went in, it took 30 minutes to get him to shore, there was someone experienced in CPR (a para medic or fireman) that performed CPR, but the man did not survive.

Had absolutely nothing to do with the excursion.

Also makes me wonder why anyone (62 YO man?) would be in a Kayak in the freezing waters of Alaska.

This was the response I received from RCCL after about 2 weeks concerning a private cab for 4 hours in Cozumel, which you can do on your own for probably $100..Who are they trying to fool here. Do they think we are that stupid, and we would book this tour ?

Please be advised that the correct price for Cozumel - Private Car With Driver/Guide - Half Day CZP1 is 375.00 USD (Tour price is per vehicle, not per person). Kindly note that this is a private car where you will be able to choose an itinerary geared toward your own personal interests, convenience, and flexibility.

This tour includes an English-speaking guide/driver for 4 hours duration.

Please note that all our tour programs are coordinated with reputable tour operators, equipment and include a comprehensive overview of the most popular site of interest to guests.

Kindly note that we cannot offer any alternatives from the established excursion program as we cannot validate costs or account for conditions that may not be suitable or safe for our guest.

Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Thank You and Enjoy Your Cruise

So, do you want to take a tour at a known price, with a reputable driver who speaks English, and can take you some place other than the local all inclusive beach for $375 or do you want to grab a cab with an unknown driver, with unknown English skills and go riding around somewhere for "probably around" $100?

There is a third choice that would "probably" cost somewhere between your two options - go to the Ports of Call boards and find a private tour operator.

You choice. What has me baffled is the amount of anger you have over RCCL's pricing. If you don't like the product they are offering you are certainly free to make alternative arrangements.

To the OP:

Did you even read the responses, or did you just copy and paste your usual canned diatribe against posters who do not automatically slam RCCL?

Just wondering?

And weren't a bunch of cruise passengers robbed while on a SHIP SPONSORED excursion earlier this year (but not RCI)? Wonder how much that false sense of security cost them? As with anything in life, we should all research where we are going, any current concerns in that area and take appropriate measures to remain safe. I have booked excursions both via the ship and independently. I would never book an independent excursion 1) in a port that has any safety concerns (as posted here as well as on official gov't sites) 2) with a tour company that I do not know anything about and that has not received multiple rave reviews 3) without making sure they have insurance, etc. I would also make sure that any I take via a cruise line have been vetted in the same manner (and yes, I ask)

Depending on the contract RCI has with the tour operator will determine the price of the tour which will include the markup for them to make a profit. RCI is not a non profit organization. They are in business to make money!

The world is a big place and people have different likes and dislikes. If somethinks that the RCI price is too high, they don't have to buy it. Others will be fine with the price and will. We just got back from LOS Med. cruise. In some ports we DIY and in others we booked the ship's tour. In neither situation do I feel any regret. Where I used an RCI tour they did a fine job. RCI was also very organized in quickly getting us off the boat and on to buses.

Why is it overpriced? It's called PROFIT. And guess what, profit is not a dirty word. Believe it or not, they are in business to make money.

They paid someone to research excursions, make the contacts, take care of reservations, handle the cash, etc., etc. And now they would like to pay those people who made it happen and make a profit.

Sure you can do it on your own cheaper (I usually do find my own excursions) but if they do the work for you, expect to pay a premium price. :cool:

Archived